2019-2020 PGA Tour

Lurch

1st alternate at the AP Invite gets in a car accident on Wednesday on his way to the course, shows up Thursday morning just after 6am and finds out that Molinari withdrew, so he is in the field and playing with Rory and Rose, kid shoots even par to give him a shot at playing the weekend.

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/03/05/kh-lee-first-alternate-gets-tee-time-after-car-accident-arnold-palmer-invitational.html

Just now, LTtxfan said:
3cf75836a951912b0c05fa89eae22459_bigger.   Jonathan Coachman   @TheCoachrules
49m

Hard to believe how far off Jordan Spieth has fallen. He is currently 12 shots back of the lead in the 1st round with one hole to play. What a long two years for him. Hope he can get it back.

Spieth was once the No. 1 golfer in the world, but he hasn't won a tournament since 2017 and is 56th in the world golf rankings.

According to Golf Channel's Will Gray, Spieth acknowledged his struggles Wednesday before the start of the tournament, saying: "I'm trying to reverse a year-and-a-half of kind of bad reps."

Per Brendan Porath of SB Nation, Golf Channel analyst Arron Oberholser suggested Spieth could benefit from different guidance: "I think he needs a coaching change. I do. I think he needs a fresh set of eyes."

Whatever advice Spieth received Thursday didn't pay off. Although he managed his second birdie of the day on the par-four seventh, Spieth closed out his round with a pair of pars and finished at three over, which means he is very much in danger of missing the cut Friday.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880580-jordan-spieth-struggles-to-3-over-75-in-1st-round-of-2020-players-championship

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:
3cf75836a951912b0c05fa89eae22459_bigger.   Jonathan Coachman   @TheCoachrules
49m

Hard to believe how far off Jordan Spieth has fallen. He is currently 12 shots back of the lead in the 1st round with one hole to play. What a long two years for him. Hope he can get it back.

I'm surprised Jordan is even playing. This is way worse than zika.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth was once the No. 1 golfer in the world, but he hasn't won a tournament since 2017 and is 56th in the world golf rankings.

According to Golf Channel's Will Gray, Spieth acknowledged his struggles Wednesday before the start of the tournament, saying: "I'm trying to reverse a year-and-a-half of kind of bad reps."

Per Brendan Porath of SB Nation, Golf Channel analyst Arron Oberholser suggested Spieth could benefit from different guidance: "I think he needs a coaching change. I do. I think he needs a fresh set of eyes."

Whatever advice Spieth received Thursday didn't pay off. Although he managed his second birdie of the day on the par-four seventh, Spieth closed out his round with a pair of pars and finished at three over, which means he is very much in danger of missing the cut Friday.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880580-jordan-spieth-struggles-to-3-over-75-in-1st-round-of-2020-players-championship

hopefully the break does him some good. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2020/03/17/golfs-five-families-frantically-discussing-saving-schedule/

The week of August 3 is being looked at to reschedule the PGA Championship, two people with knowledge of the situation have told Golfweek. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly. Those dates coincide with the women’s golf competition at the Olympics. The men’s contest in Tokyo concludes the previous week.

The Masters, which announced its postponement last week, could potentially take place in October. As of now, the other two majors remain scheduled on their original dates: the U.S. Open at Winged Foot (June 18-21) and the Open Championship at Royal St. George’s (July 16-19).

Winged Foot is in Westchester County, New York, a hot spot for coronavirus outbreaks. One person with knowledge of the situation who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter says two possible venues are being internally discussed as alternatives: Oakmont Country Club and Pinehurst No. 2.

On 3/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, ztejas said:

Looks like Masters will be played in October. 

I don't know about that. Augusta National is closed during that time every year. The base turf is Bermuda and they overseed with rye (I think).

They've cancelled the Byron Nelson, which is set for May. Wonder if that might be an option if we can get this thing contained and have that be one of the first tournaments once things start back up?

On 3/17/2020 at 11:24 PM, ztejas said:

Looks like Masters will be played in October. 

Well, on second look you might be right. Apparently, Augusta hotels have been cancelling hotel reservations for the first week of October to clear out cheap reservations for Masters-priced rooms.

Imagine the ratings this will get

Why can’t their be smaller PGA events played in front of no fans?  It would be a saving grace for sports fans and an opportunity for the PGA to own the sports world for a few month. 

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Imagine the ratings this will get

Why can’t their be smaller PGA events played in front of no fans?  It would be a saving grace for sports fans and an opportunity for the PGA to own the sports world for a few month. 

I'm no lawyer but you'd have to think there is some massive liability for the PGA if they continue to hold events during a pandemic. 

Also, I'm really hoping the Masters and US Open get played this year. But I think it's much more likely that we see an entire year with no majors. 

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm no lawyer but you'd have to think there is some massive liability for the PGA if they continue to hold events during a pandemic. 

Also, I'm really hoping the Masters and US Open get played this year. But I think it's much more likely that we see an entire year with no majors. 

The one saving grace here is that if one golf tournament gets played the rest of the year it will be the Masters. I think.