2019-2020 PGA Tour

Lurch

I can’t really fathom why the PGA tour isn’t playing. 

Its outside, it’s basically the definition of social distancing, it’s a small and discrete field that you could pretty easily test, and those guys don’t need to ever touch each other’s equipment not get within 6 feet of each other (other than player and caddy and again- they get tested. 

Also, these guys as independent contractors with total autonomy over their schedule can decide whether to play or not with no hassle or peer pressure to play. Yes, it would suck to have no fans there,  but they could just absolutely own the sports calendar. 

Its absurd We don’t have professional gold right now. The only reason I believe this is the case is bc they are scared of media pushback. 

There are dozens (hundreds?) of people behind the scenes that make a broadcast watchable, and it would require figuring out to get each of them doing their part safely. It’s probably not insurmountable, but not as easy as “just test the players and caddies” either. Once we have a better understanding of how long this will last, perhaps they’ll have financial incentive to figure out the how.

I wonder how much revenue the fans brought in vs broadcasting rights. It might prove to be a money loser regardless.

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

There are dozens (hundreds?) of people behind the scenes that make a broadcast watchable, and it would require figuring out to get each of them doing their part safely. It’s probably not insurmountable, but not as easy as “just test the players and caddies” either. Once we have a better understanding of how long this will last, perhaps they’ll have financial incentive to figure out the how.

I wonder how much revenue the fans brought in vs broadcasting rights. It might prove to be a money loser regardless.

I doubt it becomes a money loser, but if the crowd is that important I bet they could shake down the tv stations to pay extra money to make them whole if they were the only game in town

I get that there are other people out there on the course but it’s really not all that many, logistically, and you can’t convince me they couldn’t stay 6 feet away. 

My mom and dad are playing golf literally every single day and so are a bunch of other people out there as well. It’s by far the safest and easiest sport to get back up and running. 

Their initial instinct was to keep going with the players. They should have stuck with it. 

Insurance is probably another factor. I’d guess their liability risk would be substantial.

We still don’t fully understand how transmittable it is, nor how accurate our tests are. If I was running the tour, I don’t think I could embrace yet your certainty that it can be run safely.

2 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The guys on the PGA tour didn’t want to be the only sport out there playing right now while everything is shut down. That’s it.

100 percent this. Sucks that they can’t still be tone deaf olds and have lightened up. Once upon a time it would have been all systems go. 

the only event that needs fans is the Ryder Cup.  they could play the majors without fans and i'd be fine.  but you need the noise and chaos created by the fans at the Ryder Cup.

i saw a note somewhere that the first PGA tour event will be the Memorial without fans.

Edited by Jive Turkey

On 4/6/2020 at 10:48 AM, Jive Turkey said:

the only event that needs fans is the Ryder Cup.  they could play the majors without fans and i'd be fine.  but you need the noise and chaos created by the fans at the Ryder Cup.

I can't say I agree with that. Especially the Masters. 

1 hour ago, Pom said:

Have you been before?

2nd time. I won the lotto for the Tuesday practice round for 2018. One of the guys that went that year won the lotto for Monday practice round this year, so almost the same 4 guys as last time. One guy had a kid due masters week this year so he gave up his ticket to a guy that’s never been there before. 

Edited by heso

11 hours ago, heso said:

2nd time. I won the lotto for the Tuesday practice round for 2018. One of the guys that went that year won the lotto for Monday practice round this year, so almost the same 4 guys as last time. One guy had a kid due masters week this year so he gave up his ticket to a guy that’s never been there before. 

Nothing can compare to your first trip! I’m going with seven first timers this year! It will be interesting to see how the course looks in November.

30 minutes ago, Pom said:

Nothing can compare to your first trip! I’m going with seven first timers this year! It will be interesting to see how the course looks in November.

Where are you staying?  Seems like there is a lot less inventory on rental houses now as compared to when I booked for April.  

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I believe Masters week is Spring Break in Augusta.  Probably fewer locals leaving town in November.

There will still be plenty who are willing to rent out their house for 10x what it would normally rent for.  They just need a little time to work out the logistics.

1 hour ago, field said:

Where are you staying?  Seems like there is a lot less inventory on rental houses now as compared to when I booked for April.  

I rent a house every year that’s about two miles from the course.

6 hours ago, Pom said:

That’s awesome. I’m looking forward watching him see it for the first time. It’s absolutely like being a kid in Disney world for the first time. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this is not surprising.  Byron Nelson in south Dallas was an abject disaster.

Interesting. I just assumed it would go back to the Four Seasons until the new PGA of America HQ is completed in Frisco.

The Memorial within the last 90 minutes indicated that they have rescheduled the tournament in mid-July. Patronage will be allowed outside a worsening of the Covid issues. Flight itinerary changed and will be my third year in a row to witness the event. For the golfing fan, I highly recommend that you see the event in person. Tremendous course and great hospitality by the staffers.

24 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

There is something about this that bothers me. A company puts on a charity event to raise money for its own employees, asking others to donate money when said company made $2 billion last year and has a similar amount in the bank. MGM should spend their own damn money to take care of their own. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

There is something about this that bothers me. A company puts on a charity event to raise money for its own employees, asking others to donate money when said company made $2 billion last year and has a similar amount in the bank. MGM should spend their own damn money to take care of their own. 

I think I misread the mission. It looks like proceeds are for a MGM employee foundation that then donates to various organizations. 

• 2 weeks later...

teams don't seem very fair...

On Sunday, May 17, from Seminole Golf Club, TaylorMade Driving Relief will feature two-time FedExCup champion and World No. 1 Rory McIlroy and 20-time PGA TOUR winner Dustin Johnson, teaming up against two Oklahoma State University alumni: PGA TOUR superstar Rickie Fowler and 2019 first-time TOUR winner and 2019 NCAA National Champion Matthew Wolff. The competition will follow strict CDC social distancing guidelines, local mandates and will utilize appropriate testing measures to help protect the health and safety of the golfers, production crew and others on site.

EVENT INFORMATION

● Players: All four golfers will donate their time for the 18-hole, two-man team skins competition, with McIlroy/Johnson playing for the American Nurses Foundation and Fowler/Wolff playing for the CDC Foundation.

● Location: Seminole Golf Club (Juno Beach, Fla.) A majestic Donald Ross design with a clever routing on a rectangular site, each hole at Seminole encounters a new wind direction. Seminole has long been one of America’s most-revered clubs and this marks the club’s first ever golf event broadcast. No fans or spectators will be permitted on site.

● Date/Time: Sunday, May 17; live coverage will air from 2-6 p.m. ET

● Television Broadcast: NBC, GOLF Channel, NBCSN, Sky Sports and other PGA TOUR global media partners

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

teams don't seem very fair...

On Sunday, May 17, from Seminole Golf Club, TaylorMade Driving Relief will feature two-time FedExCup champion and World No. 1 Rory McIlroy and 20-time PGA TOUR winner Dustin Johnson, teaming up against two Oklahoma State University alumni: PGA TOUR superstar Rickie Fowler and 2019 first-time TOUR winner and 2019 NCAA National Champion Matthew Wolff. The competition will follow strict CDC social distancing guidelines, local mandates and will utilize appropriate testing measures to help protect the health and safety of the golfers, production crew and others on site.

EVENT INFORMATION

● Players: All four golfers will donate their time for the 18-hole, two-man team skins competition, with McIlroy/Johnson playing for the American Nurses Foundation and Fowler/Wolff playing for the CDC Foundation.

● Location: Seminole Golf Club (Juno Beach, Fla.) A majestic Donald Ross design with a clever routing on a rectangular site, each hole at Seminole encounters a new wind direction. Seminole has long been one of America’s most-revered clubs and this marks the club’s first ever golf event broadcast. No fans or spectators will be permitted on site.

● Date/Time: Sunday, May 17; live coverage will air from 2-6 p.m. ET

● Television Broadcast: NBC, GOLF Channel, NBCSN, Sky Sports and other PGA TOUR global media partners

Agreed on the teams, but I’ll watch for the course.  They need to put something together at Pine Valley and Cypress Point as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Agreed on the teams, but I’ll watch for the course.  They need to put something together at Pine Valley and Cypress Point as well.

Fuck yeah, they could raise a ton of money auctioning off the right to caddy for the players for a hole or two on Cypress Point

Edited by Wally Fairway

Rory/DJ v. Rickie/Matt Wolf on Sunday - skins game - 

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2020/05/12/how-it-works-taylormade-driving-relief-skins-match-rory-mcilroy-dustin-johnson-rickie-fowler-matthew-wolff.html

HOW TO FOLLOW

● Sunday, May 17. Live coverage will air from 2-6 p.m. ET

THE FOUR-BALL SKINS GAME

Two-man teams will play Four-Ball under Rule 23 of the USGA rules. Each player will play a separate ball. Each team’s score for a hole is the lower score from the two partners.

All money is for charity. The team of Rory McIlroy-Dustin Johnson will play for the American Nurses Foundation. The team of Rickie Fowler-Matthew Wolff will play for the CDC Foundation. Each team will start with $500,000 in the bank.

Each hole will be worth a Skin and in the event of a tied hole, the Skin and money will carry over to the next hole.

• Holes 1-6 will each be worth $50,000.
• Holes 7-15 will each be worth $100,000
• Hole 17 will be worth $200,000
• Hole 18 will be worth $500,000.

Example: If neither team wins a Skin in the first six holes, then hole 7 will be worth $400,000.

NOTABLE PLAYING ADJUSTMENTS

Unlike regular PGA TOUR events, some interesting adjustments have been made for this competition:

• Distance measuring devices (DMD) will be allowed. However, the use of slope and elevation features on DMDs will not be permitted.

• All players may wear shorts.

• No caddies are allowed. Thus, all players will walk and carry their own bags or pull a trolley. Carts will be used to transport players to the 17th hole in case of a playoff.

• Players will wear mics. On-course interviews by NBC announcers will also take place.