2019-2020 PGA Tour

Lurch

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's amazing how the new talent has already lapped him 

Went back to check Jordan's prior two seasons World Golf Rankings plus the current one...

#10 for 2017 - 2018

#38 for 2018 - 2019

#56 currently for 2019 - 2020

Here is a great article on Spieth and the chicken wing

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/jordan-spieths-quirky-swing-is-the-reason-why-hes-so-good-at-golf

I actually have the same issue. lose distance but it is pretty repeatable, to hold the face square longer, like the article suggests. assuming the course isn't too long, I can shoot upper 70's low 80's without practicing at all but I'm behind almost everyone I play with after the drive.

Jordan is trying to keep up with these bombers and in my opinion I think he starts pressing and the timing gets off.  hes solidly middle of the pack driver distance wise but he's gonna be hitting a club more than Rory, Koepka, etc.   his distance control has been pretty bad lately.  Faldo said it yesterday.  PGA golf is ALL about distance control(given that you have to be good with the putter of course).

he was 89th in distance and almost at the very bottom in accuracy last year.  if you are accepting losing distance due to a "different" swing philsophy that is supposed to be repeatable and more accurate, well then fuck, you better be way more accurate.  I'm rooting for him and would love to see him turn it back to where he was 3 to 4 years ago but hes gonna really have to commit and maybe rethink the big picture vs. the I'm just one slight adjustment away.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Here is a great article on Spieth and the chicken wing

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/jordan-spieths-quirky-swing-is-the-reason-why-hes-so-good-at-golf

I actually have the same issue. lose distance but it is pretty repeatable, to hold the face square longer, like the article suggests. assuming the course isn't too long, I can shoot upper 70's low 80's without practicing at all but I'm behind almost everyone I play with after the drive.

Jordan is trying to keep up with these bombers and in my opinion I think he starts pressing and the timing gets off.  hes solidly middle of the pack driver distance wise but he's gonna be hitting a club more than Rory, Koepka, etc.   his distance control has been pretty bad lately.  Faldo said it yesterday.  PGA golf is ALL about distance control(given that you have to be good with the putter of course).

he was 89th in distance and almost at the very bottom in accuracy last year.  if you are accepting losing distance due to a "different" swing philsophy that is supposed to be repeatable and more accurate, well then fuck, you better be way more accurate.  I'm rooting for him and would love to see him turn it back to where he was 3 to 4 years ago but hes gonna really have to commit and maybe rethink the big picture vs. the I'm just one slight adjustment away.

Always thought he should stop worrying about distance, and focus on accuracy he had off the tee when he won "The Masters" and "The U.S. Open" in the same year...

His accuracy is also off more with his long irons and hybrids since Jordan has tried to increase his distance...

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

He could stand to get in better shape like everyone else is doing. He's always looked a little doughy to me and I think he likes the booze, too. Theres no reason he shouldn't be one of the longer hitters on tour and he's very middling in that regard.

Because you're right - the game is different. You can have all the talent in the world but if you're boozing and blowing down and fucking your way through each pitstop like it's 1979 you aren't going to win much (not saying Spieth is doing that - just expounding on the point you're making). You get the occasional redass like Patrick Reed that still wins despite being a lumpy piece of shit but most guys can't afford to play like that.

I'd still be shocked if Spieth doesn't figure it out at somepoint though - he's got too much fucking talent and is so damn competitive - and he really is getting close. Just needs to keep his head down and keep at it. 

My favorite surly post of 2020.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

. He got married, too, didn't he? Isn't there some hard ass data saying that's not a good thing for golfers?

Hell, there is hard ass data saying it's not a good thing for any man. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/104-wives-and-the-stupid-shit-they-saydo/

And Spieth thinks too much. IMO that's why he fades on weekends. Puts too much pressure on himself. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Hell, there is hard ass data saying it's not a good thing for any man. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/104-wives-and-the-stupid-shit-they-saydo/

And Spieth thinks too much. IMO that's why he fades on weekends. Puts too much pressure on himself. 

A friend of mine takes gummies and drinks Bud Light to help me him relax on the golf course.  Let the game come to him.

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2020-rbc-heritage-live-stream-watch-online-tv-channel-golf-coverage-schedule-radio/

2020 RBC Heritage live stream, watch online, TV channel, golf coverage, schedule, radio

If last week's Charles Schwab Challenge was any indication, the next month of golf is going to be absolutely awesome. Daniel Berger beat Collin Morikawa in a playoff in front of a major championship-like leaderboard last Sunday, a field that nearly replicates itself this week at the 2020 RBC Heritage.

Harbour Town is a great course that isn't always very well attended because of its spot on the schedule (just after the Masters), so it's fun to see so many of the top 25 players (including all of the top six) teeing it up this week. 

The viewing experience will be similar to that we saw last week. No spectators will be allowed on the course, which means the weekends are less energetic, but the entire tournament is interestingly more calm and peaceful. There's something to being able to watch the best players in the world do their thing on an empty course.

With a bigger field than normal, players will get underway especially early over the first two rounds in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Here's a look at the schedule of events so you can watch all the action.

All times Eastern; streaming start times approximated

Rounds 1-2 -- Thursday and Friday

Round starts: 6:45 a.m.
Featured groups: 6:45 a.m. - 6 p.m. -- PGA Tour Live

Live TV coverage: 3-6 p.m. on Golf Channel
Live stream: 3-6 p.m. on fuboTV (Try for free) and NBCSports.com 

Radio: Noon-6 p.m. on PGA Tour Radio

Rounds 3-4 -- Saturday and Sunday

Round starts: 7:45 a.m.

Featured holes and groups: 7:45 a.m. - 6 p.m. -- PGA Tour Live
Early TV coverage: 1-3 p.m. on Golf Channel
Live stream: 3-6 p.m. on fuboTV (Try for free) and NBCSports.com 

Live TV coverage: 3-6 p.m. on CBS
Live stream: 3-6 p.m. on CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports App

Radio: 1-6 p.m. on PGA Tour Radio

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:
9h

Who's ready for another week of Bryson Ball?? Most strokes gained off the tee (Since 2020 Waste Management Phoenix Open)
Bryson DeChambeau +29.7   Rory McIlroy +15.4  Keith Mitchell +13.0   Scottie Scheffler +12.7   Sungjae Im +12.4

That is awesome but if you cannot putt it just doesn't matter.

Not saying he can't putt but long drives have always been for show and no dough.

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

Jordan went on quite a run, 6 birdies in a row on his second 9 (#2-#7) and his irons must be dialed is as the list the birdie putts made as

7'-8"
5'-4"
2'-11"
2'-9"
7'-4"
12'-0"

Birdied 9 as well for a cool 29 on the front.  If he could avoid the double and triple bogeys (he took a triple on 12) he might win a few tournaments.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

Birdied 9 as well for a cool 29 on the front.  If he could avoid the double and triple bogeys (he took a triple on 12) he might win a few tournaments.

yeah - just Jordan doing Jordan things, that birdie on 9 was from 3', so 8 birdies today, no bombs the longest was 12'

https://golf.com/instruction/2020-jordan-spieths-golf-swing/

What changed in Jordan Spieth’s golf swing during the Covid-19 offseason?

BY: LUKE KERR-DINEEN JUNE 15, 2020

Jordan Spieth briefly held the lead on Saturday and ended up T10.

Jordan Spieth, much to the delight of golf fans everywhere, had a very good week at the Charles Schwab Challenge. He was jostling for the lead throughout the first three rounds, and even after a slightly disappointing Sunday, still managed to register a top 10.

It’s happy news for fans yearning for a Spieth return to glory, and even his underlying statistics prove this was a genuinely encouraging performance across the board. His driving accuracy and Greens in Regulation statistics matched his performance during the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, which was his best finish of the season so far. His putting, meanwhile, was the strength of his game all week, leading the field in SG: Putting — despite his four-putt — with 8.6 strokes gained in all.

And Spieth himself, by all accounts, sounded more confident in his ball-striking than he has recently. He didn’t delve into too many specifics, but said he and his longtime coach Cameron McCormick were hard at work over the last few months:

“There’s a little bit of education on myself, on what I’ve done really well historically that I didn’t necessarily realize I did, and then a little bit of retraining,” Spieth said. “It’s not to say — things are feeling better than they have in a while, but it’s not to say that everything is — that everything is back to the best ball-striking I’ve ever had, but I feel like I’m progressing in the right direction, and the things that I’m working on are working towards getting things looking and feeling as good as they have in the past for me, and that’s different, I would say, than a lot of the last couple years where I would be working on something and it wasn’t necessarily moving in the right direction.”

So, with Spieth seemingly returning to form, here are a few little things I noticed about his move in his return to competitive golf. And as always: If you’re the kind of person who likes to get angry about slight differences in camera angles, you should probably just click away. This is not intended to be an exact science, coaching, or anything in between, merely a general look at Spieth’s game for all us fans who might find it interesting.

1. Longer Backswing

I have no idea if Spieth has been working on lengthening his backswing, but there were certainly times it seemed a little longer than it had been. As you can see on the left, taken from a picture of Spieth in late 2019, his club shaft had gotten to just about parallel, with the clubhead hiding behind his hands. On the right, from the first tee of the second round last week, Spieth seems to have turned more, with the clubhead peeking out from behind his forearm.

If this is indeed the case, we’ll likely see Spieth drive the ball a little longer in the future, and we may have gotten a glimpse of it last weekend: He averaged 314 yards off the tee this event, vs. 295.6 yards at the same event last year, but with a sample size that small, it’s hard to put too much stock in it.

2. Steeper Downswing

Another thing I’ll be keeping my eye on is Spieth’s downswing. With the caveat that we can’t read too much into one tournament, it did seem as though Speith’s arms — and therefore, his club — stayed more in front of his body on the downswing. As you can see on the left, Spieth’s arms are deeper around and behind him. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that in order to match it up, Spieth needed lots of torso rotation in order to bring the club back around in front of him. If he didn’t, he’d alternate between blocks and hooks, which were often the misses we saw with Spieth last season.

Last weekend, which you can see on the right, Spieth’s arms didn’t get as far behind him on the downswing. His hands appeared more in front of his chest, and we saw fewer big misses.

Edited by LTtxfan

8 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That is awesome but if you cannot putt it just doesn't matter.

Not saying he can't putt but long drives have always been for show and no dough.

Ummm, the top 5 players in the world can all bomb it. I don’t know that I’d classify any of them as incredible putters. It’s certainly not the first thing that stands out about their games. 

13 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Shots gained data shows that there is more advantage to be made off the tee and the approach than there is putting.
That old adage is a bit dated - sure you still have to be able to sink some putts, but a wedge in gets you better scores than a 7 or 8 iron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Shots gained data shows that there is more advantage to be made off the tee and the approach than there is putting.
That old adage is a bit dated - sure you still have to be able to sink some putts, but a wedge in gets you better scores than a 7 or 8 iron.

still have to make those putts 

I've watched too many bombers suck the rest of the way in. Ideally you bomb your drive to a comfortable distance,  where you have a full swing in, thats a hard thing to do. Rather have an 8 iron in than half a wedge. 

Nobody is saying that long drive champions are going to start winning tour events, certainly you need an all round game. But it isn't a coincidence that people like Snead, Jack and Tiger were long hitters in their day; and the current top 5 in the OWGR are all considered long off the tee (fwiw that's Rory, Rahm, JT, Brooks and DJ)>

I've played with plenty of guys who were long off the tee, but struggled to keep in on the golf course, and I've seen guys who could keep it around par by playing in the fairway, and had a short game to get up and down around the green. 

2 hours ago, Dewey said:

I've watched too many bombers suck the rest of the way in. Ideally you bomb your drive to a comfortable distance,  where you have a full swing in, thats a hard thing to do. Rather have an 8 iron in than half a wedge. 

The stats show that players are better from shorter distances, period. Good golfers are better from 70 than 125, regardless of whether 125 gives you a full swing. 

• Like 1

Spieth misses a 3 footer for his first bogey today on the 11th hole...  Back to -5  (even par on today's round). 

Next shot off the tee on 12 went into left rough.

Early guys may have caught the easier weather today...  Leader in the clubhouse at -12 is Webb Simpson...

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth misses a 3 footer for his first bogey today on the 11th hole...  Back to -5  (even par on today's round). 

Next shot off the tee on 12 went into left rough.

Bogey on #12.  Cut-line projected for -4.

Spieth now -4  (+1 on today's Rd)

Edit:  Fairway, great approach within 7ft but missed putt for birdie on #13

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I do not disagree that a long drive is a huge advantage but give me a guy that hits it 280 in the middle of the fairway and can putt. 

From last years stats Gary Woodland is the best power/accuracy off the tee.  308 yds #13 & 86% accuracy @ #T17.  

It’s tough to be elite in multiple categories when you are up against the top 150 in the world.   When your third best “tool” gets hot is when these guys bank.

• Fuck You 1

Varner caught on video saying "Oh Fuck You" on poor approach shot to 18...  😁

Spieth sinks 15 footer for birdie on 17th 🤘    (Hits the fairway on 18... and on the green w/approach shot)     

Edit:  2putt on 18th...  Spieth shoots -1 (70) and is currently -6.  (6 shots back)

Edited by LTtxfan

Seems like they just need to test when players get onsite and after each round. You would need a negative result to play the next day. I know Watney wasn't part of the traveling crew of players, but eventually Covid will make its way to them as well. Keep everyone separated. Let them make their own travel arrangements, and test after every round.