2019-2020 PGA Tour

Lurch

I'll go on the record and state that I don't like what they've done with the Tour Championship; this handicap thing is crap if you ask me. I'd rather they use total score over the three events, but I know that they feel people are to simple to understand someone can win this event and a different player wins the season long pot.

Here are some example of why I don't like it:
Rory has to beat DJ by 8 strokes to win it (and other players by fewer strokes)
Tony Finau has to beat 4 players by more than 3 strokes to win
Last weeks playoff would never have happened with this weeks scoring, and that was an exciting finish...twice.

Winning this event is like having to win both the low gross and low net at your club.

Rant over - I think I'll root for JT or Morikawa

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'll go on the record and state that I don't like what they've done with the Tour Championship; this handicap thing is crap if you ask me.

Yeah - it doesn't really affect who wins the FedEx cup, but it does affect who wins this "tournament". Seems like there should be an asterisk for any tourney where guys aren't starting on equal playing fields.

The problem with the "playoffs" is everyone gets in it.  Because of that, there is more interest from the Tour/players on protecting those that played well throughout the season.  Initially, I was skeptical on the handicapping idea, but it has grown on me.  Before, you could realistically have a player win the FedEx Cup and have not won a single tournament all year.  This format eliminates that possibility.  Less players actually qualifying for the "playoffs" would allow for more fluidity in these events.

9 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Before, you could realistically have a player win the FedEx Cup and have not won a single tournament all year.  This format eliminates that possibility. 

Yeah but it's not really winning when you start ahead of a bunch of guys. It's like winning the net event vs the gross event like Wally said.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but it's not really winning when you start ahead of a bunch of guys. It's like winning the net event vs the gross event like Wally said.

Same could be said for a match play or Stableford event.  The format is established ahead of time, so the result should be recognized as such.

And I completely understand your point.  I try and think of it as like a Champions League soccer match that is played over multiple days.  The results from the initial match carry over to the next one.  Could they improve the playoffs?  No doubt.  We are in agreement there.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah - it doesn't really affect who wins the FedEx cup, but it does affect who wins this "tournament". Seems like there should be an asterisk for any tourney where guys aren't starting on equal playing fields.

OWGR are based on scores - so points are awarded disregarding the starting handicaps, and all the fantasy games I've seen do the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wally Fairway said:

OWGR are based on scores - so points are awarded disregarding the starting handicaps, and all the fantasy games I've seen do the same.

That's interesting. Still, I'm talking about the "professional wins" section on anyone's wiki.

But, a FedEx cup is just as big as any old tour win so there's that I guess.

Just now, ztejas said:

That's interesting. Still, I'm talking about the "professional wins" section on anyone's wiki.

But, a FedEx cup is just as big as any old tour win so there's that I guess.

Oh I agree - a win has some swag that goes with it, entry to the TOC, a 2 year exemption, entry to the Majors (though without looking I'd guess they are all in the top 50), 
I took a quick glance - 10 of the players at East Lake have not won a tourney this season.

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

entry to the Majors (though without looking I'd guess they are all in the top 50), 

Everyone that plays at East Lake gets a 1 year* exemption for every major I beleive.

They also all qualify for ToC.

Edited by ztejas
fixed
  • Like 1

Mackenzie Hughes is ranked 65 in the world.  making that 5 footer for par at Olympia Fields got him to East Lake and into all of the majors next year.  that's monstrous, given how few majors he's ever played in.

Tournament 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Masters Tournament         CUT  
U.S. Open CUT         CUT
The Open Championship            
PGA Championship         CUT  
Tournament 2019 2020
Masters Tournament    
PGA Championship   T58
U.S. Open    
The Open Championship   NT

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

$15MM is relevant. This will, if it hasn’t already, surpassed The Players or Memorial in terms of non-major prestige. 

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon as a black golfer that had a ton of charisma and literally dominated competition for about 8-10 years. DJ can be dominant, and is the most talented guy out there, but he’s not charismatic and the talent on tour has so much parity it’s never been this deep. 

Okay. I'm saying you tune in to see how low he can go. You already know he's winning (although he's taken a couple steps back here over the last few holes). They were just saying that this is the first time someone has had 4 straight 54-hole leads since Tiger.

I'm aware that he isn't black and doesn't have 15 majors. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I get what you’re saying but just don’t agree. He’s not dominating this tournament. He’s playing better. And if he was a la Tiger, I probably wouldn’t watch. With Tiger, I’d watch because we were watching something superhuman. 

Just giving my personal opinion. But people like to watch golf for very different reasons. For me, he's playing at such an elite level right now that I can't not tune in. I haven't felt that way since Tiger. Like I said, maybe Rory a few times but I will watch Rory regardless so not really.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

$15MM is relevant. This will, if it hasn’t already, surpassed The Players or Memorial in terms of non-major prestige. 

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon as a black golfer that had a ton of charisma and literally dominated competition for about 8-10 years. DJ can be dominant, and is the most talented guy out there, but he’s not charismatic and the talent on tour has so much parity it’s never been this deep. 

That actually makes him more impressive not less. 

On a related topic. Elin or Paulina?

Edited by TonyTexas

FWIW - here are the tournament scores, gross without handicap - and OWGR points

TOUR Championship

6TH SEPTEMBER 2020 - Strength of Field 465

Pos Ctry Name R1 R2 R3 R4 Agg Ranking Points
1 USA Xander Schauffele 67 65 67 66 265 58
2 USA Scottie Scheffler 71 66 66 65 268 34.8
T3 USA Dustin Johnson 67 70 64 68 269 20.3
T3 USA Justin Thomas 66 71 66 66 269 20.3
5 ENG Tyrrell Hatton 67 66 71 66 270 13.92
6 ESP Jon Rahm 65 74 66 66 271 11.6
T7 COL Sebastian J Munoz 71 65 70 66 272 8.816
T7 USA Collin Morikawa 71 65 67 69 272 8.816
T7 USA Patrick Reed 71 66 70 65 272 8.816
T7 CAN Mackenzie Hughes 70 69 66 67 272 8.816
T7 NIR Rory McIlroy 64 71 70 67 272 8.816
12 KOR Sungjae Im 68 64 72 70 274 6.96
13 USA Harris English 70 69 69 67 275 6.38
T14 USA Tony Finau 68 71 66 71 276 5.51333
T14 NOR Viktor Hovland 69 69 68 70 276 5.51333
T14 MEX Abraham Ancer 64 71 69 72 276 5.51333
T17 USA Daniel Berger 69 71 64 73 277 4.5
T17 JPN Hideki Matsuyama 70 70 67 70 277 4.5
T17 USA Lanto Griffin 67 69 69 72 277 4.5
T17 USA Webb Simpson 70 71 68 68 277 4.5
21 USA Brendon Todd 67 68 70 74 279 3.78
T22 USA Kevin Kisner 72 68 69 71 280 3.36
T22 AUS Cameron Smith 68 68 73 71 280 3.36
T22 USA Cameron Champ 68 71 70 71 280 3.36
T25 USA Bryson DeChambeau 72 69 69 71 281 3.08
T25 USA Ryan Palmer 72 72 70 67 281 3.08
27 USA Kevin Na 69 70 71 72 282 2.9
T28 AUS Marc Leishman 66 75 73 69 283 2.72
T28 CHI Joaquin Niemann 72 72 67 72 283 2.72
30 USA Billy Horschel 70 73 71 70 284 2.62

16 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Calling Mr Koepka.  Mr Koepka, please pick up the courtesy phone.  Mr Johnson would like a word or two ...

”Fuck off!”

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ha, I think BK will be just fine. 

Don't doubt that for a minute.  But, it doesn't make him any less of a dickhead.

BK is just a really unlikable player, which is a shame because he seems to be the closest of all of the young players to have Tiger’s laser focus in the majors. If he stays healthy, he may be the only one I could see possibly making it into double digits for majors. None of that makes him likable though or someone that I would actually cheer for on a Sunday afternoon of a major.

it is a bit funny how dominant dj has become since brooks ran his mouth.

i just want to know where the fuck this version of dj was when i flew across the world to watch him kick some eurotrash ass in ryder cup.  instead, i got an absolute dumpster fire who repeatedly shit the bed.  i guess he and brooks really were fighting the whole time.