This Khruangbin song is just so sexy tho

52-80

25 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Got a Dick Dale vibe to it. 

Had never heard of this band, but they're fans of Afghan music.  I had recently learned that Dale and the surf guitar thing were heavily influenced by middle eastern music (Misirlou apparently means Egyptian girl in Turkish).  It's obvious once you know it, but I had enjoyed surf guitar for decades without knowing the connection.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Great song and perfect video for a drippy rainy Friday morning. 

From the video description:  "Friday Morning is a love song, written and recorded at the remote farm in Burton, Texas where Khruangbin got its start. To commemorate the song, the band asked their closest friends and family to record messages of love to each band member. The music video is a portrait of the band hearing these audio recordings for the first time, capturing on film the emotions one feels when they hear just how loved they are; a poignant and heartfelt expression in a time where, as a collective whole, we need to hear and express love more than ever."

• 2 weeks later...

The show at White Oak on Saturday was awesome!!! It was my 4th time to see them, and the best so far.. they had live congas, steel guitar, vibraphone sitting in for parts or all of the set.  They brought out Leon Bridges and did 2 new unreleased songs... the crowd/vibe/weather were perfect.  Just a great night.  My only complaint is with the volume of the outdoor shows at White Oak - this was my second show there (David Byrne), and both times it was loud but not quite loud enough. I get that it's either that, or no shows at all in that neighbohood per their agreement, but I still wish they could do something.

Any of y'all go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Jesus I wasn't prepared to watch that video.

I was listening and not really watching the video until about the third time on that one.  Strong imagery for sure.

This one's a little lighter, I meant to post it too  instead of the other one twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Went down the youtube rabbit hole last night. Damn they are great and like nothing I've heard in the past ____ years of "new" music.

Overall, I dig the world music influence and the unpredictability of the melodies. Some songs you can just anticipate the next notes, but not for their songs. One of the videos proves the guitarist can SHRED, but what impresses me is the little riffs and 2-note chords he sticks in there to fill the space. At times it seems like he's just improvising along along the way. I also dig the melodic bass lines, dreamy vocals and the general funky, trippy feeling.

I really enjoyed their NPR Tiny Desk concert. The comments about the drummer are hilarious.

Yeah, and then there are the official music videos...

On 10/24/2019 at 10:21 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Had never heard of this band, but they're fans of Afghan music.  I had recently learned that Dale and the surf guitar thing were heavily influenced by middle eastern music (Misirlou apparently means Egyptian girl in Turkish).  It's obvious once you know it, but I had enjoyed surf guitar for decades without knowing the connection.

The guy is legendary for playing the heaviest strings available. Which are not really strings in the normal definition.. more like different gauges of electrical wire. Your hands pay a price to get that sound.

On 5/5/2021 at 5:10 PM, Superhero said:

Went down the youtube rabbit hole last night. Damn they are great and like nothing I've heard in the past ____ years of "new" music.

Overall, I dig the world music influence and the unpredictability of the melodies. Some songs you can just anticipate the next notes, but not for their songs. One of the videos proves the guitarist can SHRED, but what impresses me is the little riffs and 2-note chords he sticks in there to fill the space. At times it seems like he's just improvising along along the way. I also dig the melodic bass lines, dreamy vocals and the general funky, trippy feeling.

I really enjoyed their NPR Tiny Desk concert. The comments about the drummer are hilarious.

Yeah, and then there are the official music videos...

I can't even fathom the idea of watching that video on shrooms.  Might be awesome, might be a final act on this planet.

The guy is legendary for playing the heaviest strings available. Which are not really strings in the normal definition.. more like different gauges of electrical wire. Your hands pay a price to get that sound.

Which guy? The krungbin guy or Dick Dale?

Interesting factoid, the Fender Dual Showman was designed specifically for DD - 85 watt head (later expanded to 100) with a 2x15 cabinet - to be ungodly loud as fuck without breaking up or blowing up. I have a 1970 version and can confirm loud af’ness.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Assuming Mark, he uses D'Addario Chrome flatwound 12s, throws away the big fat E, moves everything up and puts a 10 on the first string.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Which guy? The krungbin guy or Dick Dale?

Interesting factoid, the Fender Dual Showman was designed specifically for DD - 85 watt head (later expanded to 100) with a 2x15 cabinet - to be ungodly loud as fuck without breaking up or blowing up. I have a 1970 version and can confirm loud af’ness.

Dick Dale. 

I was listening and not really watching the video until about the third time on that one.  Strong imagery for sure.
This one's a little lighter, I meant to post it too  instead of the other one twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc50wHexbwg

I was sitting at the table doing a puzzle last year during quarantine with my daughter when this song came on Pandora. Towards the end when it really starts to groove I took notice and was hooked immediately. Love these guys.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, BrickHorn said:

So how many Khruangbin songs have appeared in beer commercials? I count at least 3: Maria Tambien, Lady and Man, and Time (You and I). 

They’re becoming the unofficial background music of summertime beer drinking.

They had a song on the premier episode of "Hacks" on HBO too. They're getting $$$$. 

Also, checking in to the thread. Got my tickets for their Stubb's show in September. I also saw them open for Chicano Batman at Emo's a few years ago but they hadn't quite exploded yet. They've long since eclipsed..... 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...