Eagles not showing up to practice

Pancho

Eagles is a nice player who makes deep catches but he has a ton of developing to do to. Jake Smith is not as fast asI thought he would be and his fumbled punt was ridiculous. These kids need to grow up in a developing toughlove culture and work through adversity. I think they will.
Coming up next, the Touchdown Brothers will be talking with Justin Montemayor.

Love the rationalization on how losing highly talented young players who are clearly better than the options behind them is okay because they have flaws. All of these issues are squarely on the individual players. Goddamn millenials, amirite? There's no way it could be something systemic from the top down, especially given Herman's track record of excellent decision making in regards to his staff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

cdc should not get involved mid season. no coach wants to be micro-managed by his AD. that would set a bad precedent. also you would hope that your coach has enough self awareness to understand when his staff is woefully under performing and do something about it. now that i said that, tom's achilles heel is his arrogance. does he have the capability for introspection?

• Like 5

Just now, crash_davis said:

cdc should not get involved mid season. no coach wants to be micro-managed by his AD. that would set a bad precedent. also you would hope that your coach has enough self awareness to understand when his staff is woefully under performing and do something about it. now that i said that, tom's achilles heel is his arrogance. does he have the capability for introspection?

I mean I can see after last season you figure things are going in the right direction. The defense played a great game against Georgia and Ehlinger and the running game and offensive line were all making big strides. I don't think it is just arrogance that would lead one not to blow things up last year.

But it sure looks like the defense and the special teams are wasting a great year by Ehlinger and company and ruining the recruiting momentum of this program. That needs to be fixed and soon. Herman must do what must be done.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

CDC should only be involved when the whistle blows to end our final game of the 2019 football season.   100% needs to be a performance assessment conversation that begins with "What are you going to do about the defense?" and ends with "the checkbook is open, tell me what you need and which coaches I need to contact." 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Make Lincoln Riley tell us no.  /sarcasm  /kind of

it doesn't take a genius. ogre went out and changed his offense overnight which changed lsu's identity and success overnight. tom just needs to get past friendship and understand the he can hire almost any coach that he needs to. there's no excuse someone like ogre can buy magic in a bottle and tom & texas not to.

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

Why we treat coaches as some special breed always baffles me. If you look like horseshit vs your rival and your defense is playing at historically inept levels and as the HC you’ve under resourced the defensive side of ball you should have cdc up your ass

• Like 4

it doesn't take a genius. ogre went out and changed his offense overnight which changed lsu's identity and success overnight. tom just needs to get past friendship and understand the he can hire almost any coach that he needs to. there's no excuse someone like ogre can buy magic in a bottle and tom & texas not to.

Hell Miles dumped his terrible OC and suddenly Ahmad Brooks is calling his QB a sure NFL starter.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Agreed. We cannot afford to lose guys who are producing on the field like this. I get some kid buried in the depth chart but this is scary.

Yeah.  For all intensive purposes he should be our #1 next year.

• Like 1

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Why we treat coaches as some special breed always baffles me. If you look like horseshit vs your rival and your defense is playing at historically inept levels and as the HC you’ve under resourced the defensive side of ball you should have cdc up your ass

Frankly I don't know what a great AD does in this situation.

However I am a "fan" (more of a prisoner really...) of the Washington Redskins so I am aware how bad it is to have reactionary and meddling executives. You have to give the HC some leeway during the season to run his team...right?

and yet here you are on surly with the worst of the us!

Ehh, it's mostly chimps throwing poop around in here not anyone in a position of power enabling years of domestic abuse.  Or murder if you want to go back to the Gator days.

7 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I don't see any coach having a problem with Orlando being fired mid-season. We have the worst fucking defense in the nation and the dude is making $1.7MM per year. Meh getting fired mid-season, sure that may raise some eyebrows. However, Herman has been given ample time to assemble his staff. Outside of Hand, he opted to go with his bros versus going out and getting the best. It's unacceptable and at this point requires an adult (CDC) to step in.

Seemed to work out ok for OU.  Salvaged their season last year after we rocked them and now look what their D with average at best talent is doing this year.  They completely dominated our top 5 offense.  Coaching matters.

7 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I don't see any coach having a problem with Orlando being fired mid-season. We have the worst fucking defense in the nation and the dude is making $1.7MM per year. Meh getting fired mid-season, sure that may raise some eyebrows. However, Herman has been given ample time to assemble his staff. Outside of Hand, he opted to go with his bros versus going out and getting the best. It's unacceptable and at this point requires an adult (CDC) to step in.

Coaches should be salivating at joining Herman's staff - you can have a historically inept defense and not be fired midseason! And still get paid your $1.7 million.

Meanwhile, CDC is probably annoyed every time he has to sign Orlando's check. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Coaches should be salivating at joining Herman's staff - you can have a historically inept defense and not be fired midseason! And still get paid your $1.7 million.

Meanwhile, CDC is probably annoyed every time he has to sign Orlando's check. 

You say that like he shouldn't be.

It took a last second FG to beat 2-5 KU at home, recruits are decomitting on the defensive side of the ball with more looming on the horizon, players jumping into the portal, the most explosive WR on the roster is pissed off. Everything is fine and fucking dandy folks, just put on your burnt orange tinted glasses and sip some kool aid.

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

It took a last second FG to beat 2-5 KU at home, recruits are decomitting on the defensive side of the ball with more looming on the horizon, players jumping into the portal, the most explosive WR on the roster is pissed off. Everything is fine and fucking dandy folks, just put on your burnt orange tinted glasses and sip some kool aid.

Scares you to death to be a fan of Texas huh?

Herman needs to do a wholesale evaluation of his coaching staff, but firing guys midseason only works if you have someone competent to step in. Not sure who's fault it is for Eagles missing practice and Smith acting like a typical 18 yr old freshman with jitters. Although late October is usually the time when freshmen start to get very accustomed to their new surroundings and stop feeling homesick unless they're socially isolated which I can't see how a football starter would be. 

Del Conte doesn't necessarily have to get involved but he could be meeting with Herman periodically to go over staff assessments and see where things need improvement. More of a cooperative brainstorming than a performance review

5 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

right cause comparing yourself to the gold standard (bama) should be verboten. we should shoot much lower, cause we're texas.

every underperforming program in the country is trying to convince themselves its issues are part a natural progression towards greatness. we did it during the charlie era...if i had a dollar for every time one of us posted 'BUT BAMA!' i'd be filthy rich. i understand the tendency to do it...but it's absurd. find the outlier and peg your entire perspective around that single data point.

Herman hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt to not be micromanaged.   And if I’m the AD of the school with the worst defense in the entire fucking nation, I’m stepping in because it’s as clear as day your HC doesn't have the answers.

This issue did not pop up overnight.  They’ve sucked all year long.   

Edited by BigVegasHorn26
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Arrogance works when you're winning. 

For all of Tom's arrogance, he's 1-3 against OU, needed a walk-off FG against Kansas, has some horrendously stupid losses in 3 seasons, his assistants suck and there's no accountability with them, and his team's defense is historically the worst in school history. 

But the team has never been better hydrated!! 

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

Bama is beyond the gold standard.  It's like NFL teams trying to model themselves after the Patriots.  Not only is their level of success unprecedented in your history it's unprecedented in all history.

I know. But my point was plenty of teams go through coordinators and assistant coaches all the time without it really being a rebuild in any sense.

Rebuild is more of a professional sports team thing anyway. College rebuilds are what? Two years?

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I know. But my point was plenty of teams go through coordinators and assistant coaches all the time without it really being a rebuild in any sense.

Rebuild is more of a professional sports team thing anyway. College rebuilds are what? Two years?

Sometimes one offseason.  See:  LSU offense; OU defense. 

We are in year 3, so we shouldn't be rebuilding, per se.  We need better schemes.  You can install those in an offseason when you hire a competent coach, not your buddy. 

38 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Frankly I don't know what a great AD does in this situation.

However I am a "fan" (more of a prisoner really...) of the Washington Redskins so I am aware how bad it is to have reactionary and meddling executives. You have to give the HC some leeway during the season to run his team...right?

I look at it as CDC is running an organization of which Herman is a leader of a division. Herman has a job to do running said division, part of this job is hiring the right staff of leaders in order to "run the business/hit the number"

Right now Herman has a group completely missing the number at a historic clip. I would hope CDC after watching a multi week train wreck would be in Herman's ear along lines of "hey, if this can can't fix this you will need to make a change" Especially when you are looking at other key indicators in potential decommits of recruits, discontent by key donors when a SEZ construction project is underway etc. Texas just sold record season tix this year, if that drops off back to CS era numbers that is a problem CDC has to deal with.

CDC is CEO, time to do some CEO shit.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Bama's assistants are hired away for promotions because they excel in their job (or at least the perception is they excel, IMO it's mostly due to saban). all openings attract high-fliers that know if they perform for 1 or 2 years they'll get a big promotion.

that has fuck-all to do with our situation of possibly firing a large group of underperforming assistants and then having to try and attract the best coaches available (when the perception is the head coach might be on the hot seat).

• Like 1

Isn't Tom owed a ton of guaranteed money?  He's not going anywhere, even if the rest of the season is a massive disappointment.  Reading between the lines on the Jake Smith and Brennan Eagles reporting and Super K saying a few days ago he expects us to lose 3-4 recruits based on negative recruiting coming from current players, it is crystal clear that some kind of blowup happened and there are real issues going on behind the scenes.  This team needs to win and use the bye week to get their shit together.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that has fuck-all to do with our situation of possibly firing a large group of underperforming assistants and then having to try and attract the best coaches available (when the perception is the head coach might be on the hot seat).

Yeah that was why I addressed that point about hiring from a position of weakness.

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Bama's assistants are hired away for promotions because they excel in their job (or at least the perception is they excel, IMO it's mostly due to saban). all openings attract high-fliers that know if they perform for 1 or 2 years they'll get a big promotion.

I had the same point. Texas and Bama situation on hiring assistants is apples and oranges. 

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I look at it as CDC is running an organization of which Herman is a leader of a division. Herman has a job to do running said division, part of this job is hiring the right staff of leaders in order to "run the business/hit the number"

Right now Herman has a group completely missing the number at a historic clip. I would hope CDC after watching a multi week train wreck would be in Herman's ear along lines of "hey, if this can can't fix this you will need to make a change" Especially when you are looking at other key indicators in potential decommits of recruits, discontent by key donors when a SEZ construction project is underway etc. Texas just sold record season tix this year, if that drops off back to CS era numbers that is a problem CDC has to deal with.

CDC is CEO, time to do some CEO shit.

Agreed but at the end of the day Herman should be the CEO regarding his staff.  If CDC has to make this call regarding Herman's staff we got problems. 

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

This thread feels like the off-season. Pay sites need clicks and they love to manufacture drama. I’m as sure of this report as Anwar telling us Swoops would start. 

Never change, Texas fans.

Image result for head in the sand gif

Image result for head in the sand gif