Game Camera

Cheeseweasel

If you want to go cheaper and get more than one, I bought this one on a whim 2 years ago and it’s worked great.  Pics are in the hunting thread.  

https://www.amazon.com/Campark-Waterproof-Monitoring-120°Detecting-Activated/dp/B07BHLVXF7/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5FWJBKV4XS1S5F5XKN01

Unless you're getting one that will send you pictures over cellular data and whatnot, game cameras seem like one of those things where spending more money for a name brand one doesn't really get you much more. Maybe you get a little better range, but that could probably be fixed by better placement. Just get on amazon and find one that has good reviews and the specs you want.

I have (had) a Covert Game Camera.  They come in a Verizon and AT%T model, depending on your location and cell reception.  When it takes a picture, I get it about 30 seconds later.

*had... Fother Mucking pig knocked it off the twin t-posts I had it mounted on and proceeded to walk all over it before I could get to my lease.  Need to replace it.

It is also good for times when a few of us are at the lease, we will pour some grape drank powder on the ground to attract pigs, and I will set the cam up nearby.  We can sit at the fire until my phone lets me know the pigs are there. 

28 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I have (had) a Covert Game Camera.  They come in a Verizon and AT%T model, depending on your location and cell reception.  When it takes a picture, I get it about 30 seconds later.

*had... Fother Mucking pig knocked it off the twin t-posts I had it mounted on and proceeded to walk all over it before I could get to my lease.  Need to replace it.

It is also good for times when a few of us are at the lease, we will pour some grape drank powder on the ground to attract pigs, and I will set the cam up nearby.  We can sit at the fire until my phone lets me know the pigs are there. 

What kind of battery pack are you running?

I use a stealth cam over ATT and the battery life is shit and the uploads are sporadic.

46 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What kind of battery pack are you running?

I use a stealth cam over ATT and the battery life is shit and the uploads are sporadic.

Some cheap 2000 MAH rechargeable batteries from Amazon Basics.  Using this solar charger: https://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/shop/covert-accessories/solar-panel/

The battery life creeps down to 80-90% at dawn, but back to 100% midday.  

Someone gave me two SpyPoint cameras.  The picture quality is a little below average, but I love getting the pics sent over the cell network since my place is 4 hours away.  It sends them to an app.  Cost is $79 per year for the cell service/unlimited pics and you can have up to 5 cameras on that plan (cost is same whether you use 1 camera or 5).  They use 8 AA batteries and the battery life is great.  I have had mine out since mid September and still have 59% battery.

For non cell cameras, I love the Brownings.  Make sure whatever you buy you read about battery life.  Back in the old days the cams I used had used D batteries.  They did not last for shit.  upgraded to Brownings with 8 AA batteries and they last several months.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

That is an awesome use I am looking forward to this year.  Blasting pigs when the notification goes off.  Easy to sneak up on that at night.  Need to put some of those green hog lights at the feeders.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

For non cell cameras, I love the Brownings.  Make sure whatever you buy you read about battery life.  Back in the old days the cams I used had used D batteries.  They did not last for shit.  upgraded to Brownings with 8 AA batteries and they last several months.

I bought those newfangled energizer lithium batteries for all my cameras and it has been slightly over 1 year since installing them. They are still somehow showing 100% battery life on all but one which is showing 92%. I dont believe the percentage but fact is, they have operated for a year no problem.

• 3 years later...

Bump...anything new on this front?

Looking for one for my dad.  It will be just in the pasture behind his house so could he could easily go pull cards or if I get one with a preview screen he could take a peek on the unit.

Found a data plan comparison here: https://www.trailcampro.com/pages/trail-camera-data-plans  Seems Spypoint is the cheapest as markstanco mentioned. Anybody know how the free plan works?  After 100 pics sent over cellular, does it stop sending the pics to the app, but keeps taking them and saving to SD card?  That might be a good starter cam compromise.