SMU vs Houston - Buechele vs the Red Bull redneck

Longboard Horn

I saw Buechele drop in some deep throws right on the money like he use too when he was a freshman. Good to see Sonny Dykes got him back to his old self. Strong's staff messed him up and Tom staff did not fix him. It is just very frustrating to see how other staffs actually fix folks techniques while what we have had here for some time fails to properly develop players.

• Like 4

Shane is a great QB. It's not his fault circumstances worked against him. Not once did he whine or sulk, he stood tall and always supported the team. Now that karma is paying off. He's respected, he's a leader and he's undefeated. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Shane is a great QB. It's not his fault circumstances worked against him. Not once did he whine or sulk, he stood tall and always supported the team. Now that karma is paying off. He's respected, he's a leader and he's undefeated. 

He has a great chance to win the American Conference and take SMU to the Cotton Bowl. If that happens, best believe I’ll be at that game. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, DanTheHorn said:

I saw Buechele drop in some deep throws right on the money like he use too when he was a freshman. Good to see Sonny Dykes got him back to his old self. Strong's staff messed him up and Tom staff did not fix him. It is just very frustrating to see how other staffs actually fix folks techniques while what we have had here for some time fails to properly develop players.

I'm not sure Strong wrecked him or Herman failed to fix him.  Our shit OL wrecked him and he (and the OL) didn't recover in time to permit him to unseat Ehlinger (if that would have happened with better protection).  I think he's a better passing QB than Sam, but Sam has closed a lot of that gap and offers other dimensions that Shane just can't (the running and the leadership that flows from that to some degree).

To elaborate on that last parenthetical, they are both apparently pretty solid leaders.  Ehlinger's leadership is enhanced by the toughness he exhibits running and the ability to "put the team on his back" that his running ability offers.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Sam and Shane are both excellent college quarterbacks. One could devote pages discussing who does what better, but ultimately, Sam won out because he's a better fit for Herman's scheme and personnel.

Watching Shane succeed each week has been a small joy. No doubt, everyone expected SMU to be better this season, but 8-0?

It's a great story and by all accounts it couldn't happen to a better teammate.

• Like 1