Hardest game you never beat

UTGrad98

It plagues me to this day but I could never beat the original NES Ninja Gaiden. The game was brutal. I must have rented it from Blockbuster 10 times and kept dying at the same spot. I still carry the burden of not beating it

Ninja_Gaiden_(NES).jpg

Honorable mention is Sword Quest: Fire World on Atari 2600. A couple of those rooms were just brutal to make it through and I could never find the damn chalice or whatever. 

077000026576.jpg

Edited by UTGrad98
english

A lot of those damned games were hard until you learned the cheat.

Take Ikari warriors.

Sure, once you learned the ABBA reincarnation code you could play all afternoon but try it on three lives.

No f’in way.

Also Dragons Lair arcade version. I was just giving money away - no idea what I was doing except dropping dirk’s sorry ass down in a pit on the reg.

Battle Toads was pretty brutal. Ghost N Goblins was pretty tough too. Never beat those. 

The legitimately beatable game I never beat was the original Super Mario Bros. I mainly played it when I was about 7 and never bothered to go back and do it as an adult. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Battle Toads was pretty brutal. Ghost N Goblins was pretty tough too. Never beat those. 

The legitimately beatable game I never beat was the original Super Mario Bros. I mainly played it when I was about 7 and never bothered to go back and do it as an adult. 

Same here, I could make it to the final castle, but never could figure out the pattern on how to get to Bowser for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Image result for cupheAD gif

Love the art but can't do shit because of the difficulty.

Was messing around on my son’s switch over the holiday and the art sucked me in so I fired it up. I’ve never felt more dumb in my life. That is the hardest game I’ve ever even tried to play. 

Beating Tyson without a cheat code was probably the greatest sense of accomplishment I’ve ever had in my life. 

Can't remember the name of it but there was a helicopter arcade game that was a lot like Dragon's Lair. It was interactive movie animation that changed outcome depending on your input and timing. First stage was flying through Manhattan on the deck. I could never make the turns between buildings without crashing. It was not a cheap game and I dumped $100's into it.

• 4 weeks later...

I sucked at video games as a kid. I had no sense of timing and zero patience. Outside of RPGs, I can't remember beating many games outside of Castlevania 2, Contra, and Kid Icarus. But it's different as an adult. As a grownup, I tried to play Link's Adventure. Got bored 2/3's of the way through after realizing it is all about timing the predictable patterns. I then tried playing Ninja Gaiden on the Switch. It is still tough. Now I've spent many hours watching the Ninja Gaiden WR speedrunner, Arcus, play Ninja Gaiden. I've even watched his tutorials on YouTube. I'm sure I could grind until I can beat the game, but it's not like I'm a Twitch streamer making money from the grind.

Silver Surfer comes to mind.  Ninja Gaiden is certainly up there, although I got damn close to beating it a few times.  Back to the Future on NES is one I haven't seen mentioned yet.  

The hardest game I've ever played is probably No Escape on SNES though.  A buddy sent me the game cause he knew I was a collector.  He said I should try it out and see how far I get, and then send it to the Angry Video Game Nerd to see if he'd do a video on it.  I thought he was joking...he was not joking.  The game starts off rough.  You're immediately being chased by some cannibals or something as you start the game, and random spike pitfalls open up beneath you as you're trying to run.  You're always trying to punch and kick enemies that have spears and ranged weapons.  When you're not running for your life you're in some village with other survivors who will trade random items with you.  You're supposed to take some of the items and craft with them, but it's kind of convoluted and there's no guide to figure out what combines with what else.  In fact I couldn't find any kind of guide for this game online.  All I've found is a short bit of gameplay on Youtube, they didn't get any farther than I did.

You have a health bar in this game, but it doesn't help that much.  The controls are super stiff too.  Overall it's a brutal experience, I dare someone to download a ROM of this thing and try to beat a stage.

Edited by ulukinatme

• 3 weeks later...
Can't remember the name of it but there was a helicopter arcade game that was a lot like Dragon's Lair. It was interactive movie animation that changed outcome depending on your input and timing. First stage was flying through Manhattan on the deck. I could never make the turns between buildings without crashing. It was not a cheap game and I dumped $100's into it.
Cobra Command?

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 9:32 PM, DCA_HORN said:

Battle toads

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

On 1/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, Bigpoppapump said:

Can we bring up Ninja Gaiden on Xbox as well.  I remember spending like 2 hours just trying to beat the first boss, the kung fu master guy.

I beat ninja gaiden on the Xbox, but harder than that was shinobi on the ps2. Each stage only had 1 midway save point so if you died on the boss you have to spend another 20 mins getting back to him. If you turn the game off you restart the level from the beginning. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Jesus so many NES/Sega games that just punished you with little to no save points...

My kiddos will never know the pain we endured to get to 50% of the way through a game before taking it to Funco Land to sell that bitch off.

They played the mini NES and SNES that we bought and with the save points it made life so much easier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Dr Fear said:

Man, that was a quarter killer back in the day.

“The Warrior is in need of food.”  What does he eat?  Tokens. 

Aren’t all early arcade games functionally unbeatable?  They just get harder and harder until it’s basically impossible.  

Missle Command comes to mind. Lunar Lander.  Asteroids.  Star Castle. 

I had forgotten how short some games actually were... it’s funny how long I thought some of them were only to replay them as an adult and be shocked when there were really only 5 levels...

IIRC, the 2600 cartridges could hold a maximum of 16kb (0.016mb) of code. It’s amazing they could even develop a game.