Hardest game you never beat

UTGrad98

“The Warrior is in need of food.”  What does he eat?  Tokens. 

Aren’t all early arcade games functionally unbeatable?  They just get harder and harder until it’s basically impossible.  

Missle Command comes to mind. Lunar Lander.  Asteroids.  Star Castle. 

Technically you could get to the kill screen which would occur when it rolls over from level 256 to level -256. That's what stops games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Games like Asteroids and Gyruss have a max high score so once you hit it you might as well quit. Other games just increase difficulty to a certain point and then just repeat. Games like Missile Command have marathon records where people play for 2 or 3 days straight. Free lives attack (up to 256) so those who try for the record will often count and then take a 20 minute break while they lose lives and then start playing again.

Oh, and Guantlet goes forever on Free Play.

Source: I was an arcade technician for 15 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/27/2020 at 4:11 PM, Chewbacca said:

Yep.  That game was impossible.  Tyson just moved too fast.  I didn't know anyone who could beat it.  I could never even hit him.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, strangulation! said:

his first three uppercuts were set, like at seconds 6, 12 and 18. so count to 5, dodge, then to 11, dodge, then 17, dodge. after that you had maybe a minute to do some damage, then repeat the cycle again.

23 hours ago, Viper said:

I seem to remember watching my uncle beat him too when I was a kid. but weren't there two different versions of the game? They made him easier in the later one I think.

Tyson is beatable once you have that passcode.  You can get a lot of practice in without having to mess with the trash before him.  I've got a Playchoice 10 in my garage with Mike Tyson's Punch Out on it, but I can't beat him unless I'm playing on my NES console.  Dame controls on the Playchoice are worn out and unforgiving to the one uppercut knockdowns.

For later versions of Punch Out they did take Mike out and replaced him with "Mr. Dream."  He was just a head/color swap of the original Tyson, so the movesets were identical as was the difficulty.  

41?cb=2015081719252741?cb=20150817192340