The TCU game

BigOrange1

it is no secret that this program is in a bad spot right now.  the defense is a trainwreck and there is 0 confidence in the defensive coordinator from the fanbase, recruits are decomitting, players are missing practice/beefing with coaches, etc.  it feels as if the bottom could drop out at any moment. 

tcu is a completely average football team (outside a couple of studs on offense in reagor and anderson) and on talent alone, texas should go into fort worth and win comfortably.  but after the past couple of weeks, the possibility that texas loses this game is very real (espn's matchup predictor only puts our chances of winning at only 54%). 

if texas loses this game, the heat on tom herman is going to be turned up considerably.  the part of the fanbase that has not already given up on this season, will.  the program is going to be in a very bad spot.  if texas wins this game, herman and the program will get a two week reprieve to get some injured guys back and make some adjustments over the bye week.  there will still be hope for this season.  it could be argued that this is the most important game for herman and program perception thus far this year. 

i have a bad feeling the bottom is gonna drop out and things are going to get really ugly.  especially if tcu takes an early lead.  regardless, we're about to see how much control tom herman has over this program right now.

The players are gonna want to spill blood after the scare against Kansas.

I'll be really shocked if UT doesn't control the entire game.

Only way I see it getting interesting is if Patterson melts the hell out of the clock while his offense manages to put first downs together.  Keeping Sam on the sidelines/limiting possessions will be necessary for them.

If it's a typical Big 12 fireworks show, the Frogs won't last long.

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Like they did after looking like shit against OU?

It's easy to not take a team like Kansas seriously, and even more so if you're coming off a tough loss against your hated rival.

There's a reason coaches say "Don't let [team X] beat us twice."  Because it happens a lot.

Losing to OU might be heartbreaking, but it's not flat out embarrassing.  Struggling mightily at home against KU is a different story.

So yeah, I expect the Longhorns to be out for blood.

4 minutes ago, Augustus said:

There's a reason coaches say "Don't let [team X] beat us twice."  Because it happens a lot.

I absolutely believe this played a huge part in last Saturday's drama.

The problem is, once you have let a team beat you twice in this fashion, you still have to recover.

I happen to think you are probably right, and Texas will more than likely control this game from start to finish. 

But there is a significant possibility that the reverse happens, and the wheels fall off season-long. We've all seen it happen to other talented teams before... so you'll forgive me if I stay nervous until it's over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

Only way I see it getting interesting is if Patterson melts the hell out of the clock while his offense manages to put first downs together.  Keeping Sam on the sidelines/limiting possessions will be necessary for them.

What have you seen this year that suggests that they will? We beat a shit KU team as time expired at home. You'd be shocked if we struggled against a better TCU team on the road?

I admire your confidence. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost by double digits.

Edited by Spankytoes

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

it is no secret that this program is in a bad spot right now.  the defense is a trainwreck and there is 0 confidence in the defensive coordinator from the fanbase, recruits are decomitting, players are missing practice/beefing with coaches, etc.  it feels as if the bottom could drop out at any moment. 

tcu is a completely average football team (outside a couple of studs on offense in reagor and anderson) and on talent alone, texas should go into fort worth and win comfortably.  but after the past couple of weeks, the possibility that texas loses this game is very real (espn's matchup predictor only puts our chances of winning at only 54%). 

if texas loses this game, the heat on tom herman is going to be turned up considerably.  the part of the fanbase that has not already given up on this season, will.  the program is going to be in a very bad spot.  if texas wins this game, herman and the program will get a two week reprieve to get some injured guys back and make some adjustments over the bye week.  there will still be hope for this season.  it could be argued that this is the most important game for herman and program perception thus far this year. 

i have a bad feeling the bottom is gonna drop out and things are going to get really ugly.  especially if tcu takes an early lead.  regardless, we're about to see how much control tom herman has over this program right now.

For the TLDR guys

1. If we're down early it's going to get ugly

2. If we lose Herman's ass is smoldering

3. If we win then come back in two weeks and start back at 1.

4. Profit?

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Can't read this.

46 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

What have you seen this year that suggests that they will? We beat a shit KU team as time expired at home. You'd be shocked if we struggled against a better TCU team on the road?

I admire your confidence. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost by double digits.

When you have a decided edge in talent, then the outcome just comes down to mentality.

I expect Texas will go into the TCU game in a very different frame of mind than against KU.

Now, I could be dead wrong, of course.  Maybe the defensive struggle will continue from the opening kick and that'll impact the whole team's mentality in a negative way, I don't know.

Nevertheless my expectation is that Texas will handle them pretty easily, and I'm wagering that will be the case, so DON'T FUCK ME AGAIN TEXAS.

3 hours ago, Augustus said:

These players have never wanted to spill blood.  Neither has the staff. They live by the just good enough w is a w mantra.  But we will win 

Anyone remember those days when we struggled to be .500 and bowl eligible? Waiting until a month from now to get 6 wins? Lot of entitled chicken littles on here lately.  Kansas game was shit, I get it. NOBODY was happy with that performance.  OU hangover, decimated with injuries.  Add in some more poor tackling and questionable play calling...It was a tough watch, to say the least. But we got a W.  Let's move forward  and get another.  Persevere through the adversity.   I get the frustration but the collective bitchassedness on here lately is frankly embarrassing.  Deal with it. 

• Like 8

Provided the OL can get its head out of its ass, Sam provides a solid performance floor for the offense. If they hold us to less than 30, it’ll be because we weren’t trying to score more than that.
However with our defense, I’d be shocked if we went below 40

30 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Anyone remember those days when we struggled to be .500 and bowl eligible? Waiting until a month from now to get 6 wins? Lot of entitled chicken littles on here lately.  Kansas game was shit, I get it. NOBODY was happy with that performance.  OU hangover, decimated with injuries.  Add in some more poor tackling and questionable play calling...It was a tough watch, to say the least. But we got a W.  Let's move forward  and get another.  Persevere through the adversity.   I get the frustration but the collective bitchassedness on here lately is frankly embarrassing.  Deal with it. 

Feel free to peruse the statistics and tell us whether you think the performance of the team so far reflects "adversity" or poor coaching.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

120 of 130 in total defense. 101 in fewest penalty yards. Not even ranked for defensive TDs. Last in the nation in punt returns. 126th in passing yard allowed. 101st in red zone defense. Tied for 99th in 4th down conversion percentage. 90th in passing yards per completion. 115th in sacks allowed. 58th in rushing offense. Need I go on?

It is a complete shit show.

EDIT: Not a complete shit show. I think we are now leading the nation in one statistic - recruiting decommits.

Edited by Randolph Duke

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

I don't know what's going on here, but i was trying to find a gif of a roach and this popped up on search, needed to share.

giphy.gif

what the everloving fuck.  are they frenching?

good god i have a bad feeling about tomorrow.

signs and portents.  roaches and rats fucking.

it's the post-apocalypse.  thanks, mo.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fat Pat is going to be looking forward to cooler temperatures and less sweat as well as a chance to run the ball with a multiple QB against our sad sack defense who gets eaten alive by that stuff.  Keeps the strength of his team fresh and ready to do enough to stop our shit.

It wouldn't matter if TO would back off for a week on his complex scheme and tell the kids "4-3, play man, wrap up, make plays".  That right there alone is good for at least 3 or 4 stops of el roacho, and the only thing the team chemistry needs is to see the defense get off the field by making stops.  That's it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Geez. I guess we can file this under "Threads to Slit Your Wrists By."

If you need an intervention, let us know.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Feel free to peruse the statistics and tell us whether you think the performance of the team so far reflects "adversity" or poor coaching.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

120 of 130 in total defense. 101 in fewest penalty yards. Not even ranked for defensive TDs. Last in the nation in punt returns. 126th in passing yard allowed. 101st in red zone defense. Tied for 99th in 4th down conversion percentage. 90th in passing yards per completion. 115th in sacks allowed. 58th in rushing offense. Need I go on?

It is a complete shit show.

Speaking of whiny, bitchassed, embarrassing posters. Thanks for the corroboration RD. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

These players have never wanted to spill blood.  Neither has the staff. They live by the just good enough w is a w mantra.  But we will win 

I've heard Herman make the comment more than once about the offense being "designed to score on more point" than the other team, but I assumed that was press conference coachspeak.

But since then I've definitely seen the Mike Sherman-esque tendency to alter everything that's been working once a lead is achieved.

Coaches.  Whaddya gonna do?

It's like getting a team in 3rd and looooong because your QB pressure has been outstanding.  Then dropping 8 guys on 3rd down, letting the QB have all day so he can find the guy who finally breaks open.

37 minutes ago, Lerka Lerka said:

I call this the fallacy of sub-standard comparison, and sports fans just love it.

Ignore everything that's currently wrong because it's better than some time in the past when things were worse.

1 minute ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Speaking of whiny, bitchassed, embarrassing posters. Thanks for the corroboration RD. 

I'm sorry that hard, plain numbers give you such a hard time.

The facts are what they are. This is a poorly coached team that is struggling badly. This has nothing to do with just one game or "adversity."

The team is simply being poorly coached and young athletes, with above average talent, are seeing their opportunities to excel while playing college football wasted.

We all know what to expect tomorrow. Patterson is going to light up the UT secondary, and when the UT staff starts selling out the run to cover the deep passing game, a completely pedestrian TCU QB who has no business whatsoever being featured on SportCenter will build a personal highlight reel running for almost 200 yards.

The line right now is Texas -1.5 O/U 57. Take the over. Texas has no capability to play defense whatsoever. If they would give me odds, I would take the over at 70. Texas is simply not a well coached team.

The facts are what they are.

I think when rainbows cease to exist, we all like to ride a bike. For dogs do everything that is asked of them, at times. One must fully stay single if he wants to jingle his pockets? You know. This whole time I have been worried about the weather but really I should have been worried about that great marshmellow in the sky. Always lead wjth your right foot, or else you will get mustard on your shirt.

Sometimes green, purple, and violet all have hues that play together in a cosmic television of life. Furry, yes bloody, we must accept the reality of the hydra-god to lead us to kitchens of self destruction. Always keep your kitchens clean. Gotta learn to mop the floor before you get to the fries. 

M&M’s, Take 5’s, and Charleston Chews... which team shows out? Give me brisket, smoked at 225 instead of private institution trust fund baby mommas. Some people like cucumbers better pickled, and the sweet aint always as sweet. Sounds like a plan

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

We all know what to expect tomorrow. Patterson is going to light up the UT secondary, and when the UT staff starts selling out the run to cover the deep passing game, a completely pedestrian TCU QB who has no business whatsoever being featured on SportCenter will build a personal highlight reel running for almost 200 yards.

The facts are what they are.

Light up the UT secondary? With what quarterback? And you won't even give credit to the fact that our best CB is coming back? Our 2nd best is slowly starting to have the light switch turned on. Still missing safeties but nothing about TCU's QB strikes fear into my heart.

5 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Light up the UT secondary? With what quarterback? And you won't even give credit to the fact that our best CB is coming back? Our 2nd best is slowly starting to have the light switch turned on. Still missing safeties but nothing about TCU's QB strikes fear into my heart.

And just how much fear did Kansas' QB strike into your heart this time last week? Or, for that matter, Kansas' OC?

A poorly coach team can make any opposing player look spectacular. Texas is a very poorly coached team. The current UT defense in on track to be the worst in the history of UT football.

We have no reason to believe the shit show will end this weekend.

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1