2019-2020 Surly Winter Weather Thread

bschoolprof

Great. Now I get to set my whole day back because I have to drive my wife to work.  She’s afraid to drive over the Lake Waco bridges and then over 185 bridge to China Spring.  45 min round trip before I can do my morning run and head to work.  

thanks .75 in snow storm!! 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Great. Now I get to set my whole day back because I have to drive my wife to work.  She’s afraid to drive over the Lake Waco bridges and then over 185 bridge to China Spring.  45 min round trip before I can do my morning run and head to work.  

thanks .75 in snow storm!! 

Make that 1.5 hours round trip since I got stuck on one of the bridges for 45 minutes.  

It was 31, and there was still snow on the ground.  So of course, dipshit parents send their kids to school in shorts.  And then get pissed when they are told their kids can’t go to recess this morning because they aren’t dressed appropriately.   Do they think our rain force field extends to cold temps?

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

The best part was that the bridges in town were fine as far as I could tell from the tallest one at 340/35.

Yeah, those seemed alright.  Wife teaches at China Spring primary, so she has to cross that bridge going over the N.Bosque on 185.  It's already tight and dangerous.  Some idiot spun out and hit the guardrail.  Shut traffic down both ways.   

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah, those seemed alright.  Wife teaches at China Spring primary, so she has to cross that bridge going over the N.Bosque on 185.  It's already tight and dangerous.  Some idiot spun out and hit the guardrail.  Shut traffic down both ways.   

Was he in a 4-wheel drive vehicle?   Because a lot of idiots seem to think they are bulletproof in snow and ice when driving such a vehicle.  

That's fucking cold. Like 100 degrees colder than what I think is cold

I’m pretty sure there is no way I could ever survive in those kind of conditions. Give me the summer of 2011 all year long before I could deal with a month of that...and the summer of 2011 was the worst weather year of my life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m pretty sure there is no way I could ever survive in those kind of conditions. Give me the summer of 2011 all year long before I could deal with a month of that...and the summer of 2011 was the worst weather year of my life.

Summer of ‘18 was pretty horrific. 

2011 Can EABOD

A high-pressure dome that typically sits over Texas for most of the summer remained firmly in place before, during and after the summer, allowing Austin to shatter the 86-year-old record of 69 100-degree days, ending the year with 90.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20120101/news/301019807

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

2011 Can EABOD

A high-pressure dome that typically sits over Texas for most of the summer remained firmly in place before, during and after the summer, allowing Austin to shatter the 86-year-old record of 69 100-degree days, ending the year with 90.

https://www.statesman.com/article/20120101/news/301019807

I remember one afternoon it started raining outside for like 5 minutes and everyone in my office stood up and went to the windows to watch.  It was like we had never seen rain before.

‘11 was terrible.   I think we did 90+ 100 degree days in waco, and the only thing that kept it from being consecutive was an afternoon shower in august that limited the day to 99.   ‘18 we had a bunch as well, but we had 7 straight days over 110 and a record high of 117 which was particularly miserable 

Summer 2011 flat out sucked.

Of course, GOLL and I are headed to Montreal for a hockey game this weekend (and I’m heading up tomorrow, a day early, to have some extra time visiting my daughter), and I’m heading into this:

db37cb86b0fcf9c9a2420f744d154d1b.jpg

I’ve got the gear, I think (daughter helped me pick stuff out), but I’ve never been in a temp below 10. So, yeah.

My wife and I had to make a 4.5 hour drive this evening bucking some nasty crosswinds, but not a lot of snow.  My DIL went into labor with our first granddaughter (no pics), so we didn’t have much choice.  Getting gas in -23 windchill was particularly brutal.  That windchill was “according to my lying iPhone.”  There’s no fucking way that wasn’t -40. 

I’ll weigh in on the cold vs heat debate. I would take a week of 100+ temps over one day of sub-zero with significant windchill. But outside of places like International Falls, Minot, or Grand Forks,, there aren’t that many places where negative temps stay that low for more than a day or three. Besides, bitterly low temps are more likely to happen when I’m in bed, while brutally hot highs happen when I’m awake.

Snow sucks donkey dicks, though. I hate clearing snow, with extreme passion. I’d mow a hundred lawns in August in Texas to get out of clearing one 12” snowfall.  Fortunately, we don’t get a ton of snow, just painful windchills. 

• Like 2

My wife and I had to make a 4.5 hour drive this evening bucking some nasty crosswinds, but not a lot of snow.  My DIL went into labor with our first granddaughter (no pics), so we didn’t have much choice.  Getting gas in -23 windchill was particularly brutal.  That windchill was “according to my lying iPhone.”  There’s no fucking way that wasn’t -40. 
I’ll weigh in on the cold vs heat debate. I would take a week of 100+ temps over one day of sub-zero with significant windchill. But outside of places like International Falls, Minot, or Grand Forks,, there aren’t that many places where negative temps stay that low for more than a day or three. Besides, bitterly low temps are more likely to happen when I’m in bed, while brutally hot highs happen when I’m awake.
Snow sucks donkey dicks, though. I hate clearing snow, with extreme passion. I’d mow a hundred lawns in August in Texas to get out of clearing one 12” snowfall.  Fortunately, we don’t get a ton of snow, just painful windchills. 

I mostly agree with this. We’re supposed to hit negative 20 tomorrow, but according the long range forecast, it’s the last hurrah for true winter. Like you we rarely see true monster snows. Just the relentless fucking wind.

Snowblowers make snow removal so much less annoying though.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mostly agree with this. We’re supposed to hit negative 20 tomorrow, but according the long range forecast, it’s the last hurrah for true winter. Like you we rarely see true monster snows. Just the relentless fucking wind.

Snowblowers make snow removal so much less annoying though.

I agree about the snowblowers, but it still sucks.

The first significant snowfall of the year often happens when the ground is still somewhat warm, so the bottom layer is slushy. That comes out of the snowblower like toothpaste. We also have a huge spruce tree on the west side of our driveway, so most of the snow has to be blown to the east, but sometimes those early snowfalls are accompanied by strong winds out of the east, so even if the snow can be blown, it’s hard to do so into the wind.

And then there’s the gotdam snow plows that throw the snow right back on my sidewalk. They sometimes push a 3 foot (no exaggeration) snow bank along my curb as they start to make their turn around our cul de sac. That’s not fun to dig out from after I’ve already cleared snow. No one else on our street gets it that bad.  I’ve complained, but the city thinks I’m just another person who expects perfection. My neighbors even comment on it and will occasionally come over to lend a hand when they are finished with their driveways. Maybe it’s my temper tantrums that get to them.

That’s okay, though. I help clear the driveway and sidewalk of the 90-year old career Marine vet across the street. He always offers to pay me, but I tell him his money’s not good here. It’s like a routine we go through. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

yea. agreed. maybe not 100 yards, probably more like 10 before i started to hate the extreme heat. 

Now my lyin’ iPhone says it’s sunny and -2 with -20 windchill. It’s downright pleasant compared to last night. With the sun and little breeze, it feels like +20. 

For those of you who don’t think 20 sounds pleasant, it’s like how the first 80 degree day in Texas in October feels cool. Up here, it’s all about sunshine and the lack of wind. When it gets above 25, I’ll be in shirtsleeves. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

• 2 weeks later...

Been an extremely mild winter in Houston this year. I don't think we ever reached freezing or below. Looking through the data going back to Halloween, I only see maybe 6 days where the low got into the 30's at all.

Based on current extended forecast, it looks like late WED/early THU might be the last real dose of cold, touching mid 30's. Pretty fantastic stretch of weather coming up through Sunday:

pGSIeyi.jpg