Notebook won't power up. Liquid spill.

ROFL BOX

Asshats @ $tarfucks gave me a cup / lid combo that wasn't sealed well.

Making adjustments while seated @ mybtable & the whole thing imploded with the end result of liquid all over my phone (since recovered) & DeLL Inspiron E7270.

After cleanup, the notebook won't power on (has been 1+ hour now).

Am I totally fucked here?

Do I need to have the HD extracted for a data save? My last external battery backup was around 3 weeks ago & I was actually planning to do that today.

What are my options? I assume the liquid got somewhere inside & is creating a short with the power circuitry?

It even appears to me that the liquid got into the grille underneath, but then maybe that was coming out as liquid passed through from the keys & top of the computer.

HALP.70bbf13fa4d32c45e50ebf1f779f7f12.jpga4bef001d21e9a41533b4b01c3db0702.jpg756c19d93ee405f141a540855364d413.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, SDG said:

If it’s SSD can’t you pull your hard drive and recover your data?  Those things are typically sealed.  

no, no they're not.

unscrew the panels and clean everything out.  use high proof rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs. 

What exactly is the liquid?  If it's black coffee, you have a shot at just letting it air dry, maybe throw it under a fan for a few hours and powering it back up.  And even if it's not an ssd, you have a pretty good shot of taking out the disk and saving the data on it.

If it's something with all kinds of sugar and milk and soy cream or whatever, your odds decrease of saving the whole computer.  If this is the case, I  would open it up right away and take out the drive and try and save that.  And I wouldn't 'fess up here to the fact that you like girly drinks at Starbucks.

Was it on when the coffee spilled? If so, you're probably fucked already. And even if it wasn't on, you trying to turn it on after the spill would have fucked it up. I can almost guarantee the motherboard is fried. You can try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a day or two. But I don't think it will help. Best you can do is recover some components (e.g., hard-drive). Unless you specifically bought spill insurance (which Dell does sell if I recall correctly), it will almost certainly would cost more to repair it than buying a new one. So, buy a new one.  

Edited by Dahobbs

What exactly is the liquid?  If it's black coffee, you have a shot at just letting it air dry, maybe throw it under a fan for a few hours and powering it back up.  And even if it's not an ssd, you have a pretty good shot of taking out the disk and saving the data on it.
If it's something with all kinds of sugar and milk and soy cream or whatever, your odds decrease of saving the whole computer.  If this is the case, I  would open it up right away and take out the drive and try and save that.  And I wouldn't 'fess up here to the fact that you like girly drinks at Starbucks.
[Not so hot] hot chocolate.

I come here for the wi-fi & am not a coffee drinker.

Was it on when the coffee spilled? If so, you're probably fucked already. And even if it wasn't on, you trying to turn it on after the spill would have fucked it up. I can almost guarantee the motherboard is fried. You can try disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for a day or two. But I don't think it will help. Best you can do is recover some components (e.g., hard-drive). Unless you specifically bought spill insurance (which Dell does sell if I recall correctly), it will almost certainly would cost more to repair it than buying a new one. So, buy a new one.  
No spill ins. purchased.

Will try to open it up later once home; that's obv. been a few hours behind me & 2 or 3 ahead of now.

remove the drive, clean it carefully with rubbing alcohol, and see if you can read it from another computer.  looks like the SSD is nvme (review says pcie, though a lot of people don't know that M.2 can be either SATA or NVME/pcie, but the drive can only be one or the other).  so you'd need a nvme to usb adapter.  https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-EC-NVME-Aluminum-Enclosure-Nvme/dp/B07K4TZQ7D

edit: when you pull the SSD out of the slot, examine the connector.  if it's M-keyed it's nvme/pcie and needs the adapter i linked (or one like it).  otherwise it can use an m.2 sata to usb adapter (the images in this adapter explain the keying in the connector):

https://smile.amazon.com/M-2-External-Converter-Adapter-Enclosure/dp/B076DCNZM3

edit2: more on keying: https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

that looks proper fucked. 

SSD is crammed between the battery and the side of the housing.  looking at disassembly that's in the front left. 

edit: looking at this parts list they're all sporting sata logos :

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=140&subid=602&refine=hard+drive

Edited by elfenix

2019-10-29-00-43-46.png

has a screw at one end (toward the front the laptop - top in this picture) that holds it down and a slot at the other end.
Is that what they call a Solid State HD, i.e. no moving parts?

Ordered a new notebook from DeLL, would be nice if it showed tomorrow, thinking Friday @ the latest.