Katy

Pokoloco

5 hours ago, Pokoloco said:

The wife works at my children's daycare. I’ve heard quite a bit of her account; would rather not post on it. 

eta: there is a go fund me deal for them, if you are interested.  She’s going to have a long row to hoe. 

Edited by fattyflattie

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The wife works at my children's daycare. I’ve heard quite a bit of her account; would rather not post on it. 

eta: there is a go fund me deal for them, if you are interested.  She’s going to have a long row to hoe. 

So it was completely random?

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

So it was completely random?

My understanding is that they are upstanding citizens (I don’t know them personally).  

I’ve been told they haven’t been in the house very long, and that they have rather convoluted floor plan. The story we got was he heard the glass break, he got out of bed, and was met at the bedroom door by two men. He was shot immediately, but was able to take the fight into the living room while the wife was able to lock herself in the room and call the law. She heard another shot, then silence.   Take all that as heresy, but from a reputable source. 

Trying to keep their business off the internet but I donated some  because one of the two children is the type that will need “extra help” throughout it’s life. 

If you have a bedside safe, throw some fresh batteries in it.  We ordered one the next day. The safe in my office at the front of my house not going to do much good if I’ve only got 10 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

If you have a bedside safe, throw some fresh batteries in it.  We ordered one the next day. The safe in my office at the front of my house not going to do much good if I’ve only got 10 seconds. 

This.... and sometimes less than 10 seconds if you’re groggy and don’t realize they’re already in the house.

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

If they haven't lived there long , my money is on the previous residents were into something shady and someone came to settle a score

I came damn close to buying a house that was owned by a cop that had controversially killed someone.  Spent some time checking the place out ready to put in an offer but started thinking that the house was too nice for the price, so I started doing my homework. Ran as fast as I could 

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not being an ass. What's the point in this? A gun, spare phone, I could see. 

This will be an interesting one to follow. They've already said robbery wasn't a factor. So either poor guy and his house get mistaken for someone else or guy has an interesting second life. 

Purely speculating here, but one would think a killer in this situation already stalked his victims and had some sort of previous knowledge of them. That's my initial read on it...

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Not being an ass. What's the point in this? A gun, spare phone, I could see.

Many of the most popular bedside safes are electronic locks, using codes or biometric finger print scanning to open.  They are notorious for being kind of janky, and are built more for quick access and keeping tiny hands off than theft security.   Anyhow, of sight, out of mind in nature, they tend to run out their (usually AAA) batteries.  Then you don’t have access without a key, which shouldn’t be anywhere close (tiny hands and all). An inaccessible gun is no help, obviously.  Anyhow, just a reminder to throw some fresh batts in and maybe run a practice drill or two. That’s all. 

Random home invasions are actually incredibly rare. Usually it’s because the homeowner is involved in something shady, they have a legit reason to have a lot of cash, or even more rarely the intruders have the wrong house.

I don’t think many thieves are expecting a big payday by breaking into a random suburban house. “Hey maybe we can score a big tv and a couple of laptops all while hoping the family doesn’t own a gun.”

I recall a poster on TOS discussing how he had guns hidden all over the house in case he was in any room when the hypothetical intruders broke in. Maybe it didn’t hurt him to be over-prepared but home invasions are way down the list on real threats.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Many of the most popular bedside safes are electronic locks, using codes or biometric finger print scanning to open.  They are notorious for being kind of janky, and are built more for quick access and keeping tiny hands off than theft security.   Anyhow, of sight, out of mind in nature, they tend to run out their (usually AAA) batteries.  Then you don’t have access without a key, which shouldn’t be anywhere close (tiny hands and all). An inaccessible gun is no help, obviously.  Anyhow, just a reminder to throw some fresh batts in and maybe run a practice drill or two. That’s all. 

Ah. You can tell I don't own one.