Silicon Valley Season 6

HiggyBaby

10 hours ago, futureman said:

jin yang was excellent, and jared had some good ones, too. 

I can train you.”

“my best friend muriel was a charter member for 30 years before she passed.”

I chortled when Danish said "I basically rewrote the whole thing" after the rousing success of Son of Anton + middle out compression = 150% network strength and a huge hologram. It was said almost quietly that you could have easily missed it and it was the perfect Danish-ism coming off of his "This is not my fault, I barely touched it" when the AI was the problem.

Yeah, I like Monica doing that to them as sort of "I deserve this for all the time and money I wasted on you guys." 

I'd pay for a month of HBO for Jin Yang mini-series spinoff.  But yeah, he is only good in small doses.  

If the final two seasons of this show were Judge's effort to "Fail Spectacularly"...I get the parallels to this last episode.  He is trying to save the world though, and I for one look forward to his next project.  Glad this one is over though.  

I loved this show which, even the last few seasons, which I know is a super unpopular take. Especially Gilfoyle, whom I thought was amazing. I appreciated that he and Dinesh continued to love/hate each other in the future. I died when he said "Dinesh what are you doing you terrorist. Did you just do one push up?"

Also "Clif Bars and a Gun".

fine ending, but i'm really getting tired of series finales and their whole "10 years into the future" or likewise jump.  it really wasn't even necessary to tell this story.  i would settle for a linear narrative, then an animal-house-style "where are they now" or "what happened next" at the end.  would've been way funnier.

this show never fully rebounded from the 180 they pulled regarding skunkworks.

sigh.  we'll always have season 2.

Kind of in the subtle/not-subtle way they cheers handled Coach’s passing in real life in the finale... The Christopher Welch nod during in the “regular” part of the launch announcement was tasteful with a great picture.  He stole my attention in every scene  

And Lori stole my time.  too soon?

for a show with only a few dozen episodes that was so all over the place at times.  It really did have some truly great moments.  When Judge is at his peak and given free reign, he is among the finest satirists of our time, sometimes the best.  

I didn't mind the 10 year jump to tell more about the story, as well as seeing where everyone ended up. While it really made zero sense for Big Head to be a college dean, I guess it was continuing his forrest gump like walk through life. And he finally learned the origin of his nickname.

To me the show went downhill when they had to get rid of Erlich. There were times that they had to force him into the storylines because he was too big of a character to ignore.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

fine ending, but i'm really getting tired of series finales and their whole "10 years into the future" or likewise jump.  it really wasn't even necessary to tell this story.  i would settle for a linear narrative, then an animal-house-style "where are they now" or "what happened next" at the end.  would've been way funnier.

this show never fully rebounded from the 180 they pulled regarding skunkworks.

Yeah but you have to think it's tough for a sitcom... even a very good sitcom.  The very premise of the genre is just to be funny around a certain set up... or "situation" if you will... :)   

It's not necessarily about a linear narrative arc.... that's why so many great sitcoms have such trouble sticking the landing on their final episode.

I thought the finale was fine... we had a few last laughs with these guys... loved that old data center guy was working with Dinish and Gilfoyle in the future... also the Jin Yang stuff is always good for a laugh.

The other thing that really stood out was not bringing back T.J. Miller for at least one scene. That dude must have just really burned every bridge to the ground, lol.

28 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The other thing that really stood out was not bringing back T.J. Miller for at least one scene. That dude must have just really burned every bridge to the ground, lol.

Calling in bomb threats will do that.

This show had a tough row to hoe when the actor playing Peter Gregory suddenly died. It fundamentally changed the story.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Kind of in the subtle/not-subtle way they cheers handled Coach’s passing in real life in the finale... The Christopher Welch nod during in the “regular” part of the launch announcement was tasteful with a great picture.  He stole my attention in every scene  

And Lori stole my time.  too soon?

for a show with only a few dozen episodes that was so all over the place at times.  It really did have some truly great moments.  When Judge is at his peak and given free reign, he is among the finest satirists of our time, sometimes the best.  

the.  absolute.  worst.

fine ending, but i'm really getting tired of series finales and their whole "10 years into the future" or likewise jump.  it really wasn't even necessary to tell this story.  i would settle for a linear narrative, then an animal-house-style "where are they now" or "what happened next" at the end.  would've been way funnier. this show never fully rebounded from the 180 they pulled regarding skunkworks.

I agree. I think finishing it off using the shows timeline then having a ten year later current update of their lives as Christopher Guest so masterfully does in his movies like Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman etc would have been the perfect way to go.

The show took a huge hit when Miller didn’t return. Erlich was consistently the funniest character on the show. Loved the extra long outtake of the first meeting of Erlich and Blackjack Barker

The more I think about it, the more the love/hate relationship Dinesh and Gilfoyle have is really sweet.

At the end they are obviously still an old bickering couple (and Dinesh bought a house next door to Gilfoyle), but the underrated part I just thought about was before the launch. Richard froze up and Jared, Monica, Richard...nobody knew which Dinesh was trying to get his way at the supernode but it was Gilfoyle who ultimately makes the call. Gilfoyle literally trusted Danish to save the world (if we are to believe the premise) and that level of trust and relationship was a nice culmination of the 6 years of hinting they really do like and respect and trust each other behind all the goofs and insults.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Like 5

I thought it was a fine ending to the show. "Russfest" and the finale were a good payoff to a show that lost its way, especially after they got rid of Erlich. I did like the homage to the original Pied Piper tale at the end...thought that was an interesting "side effect" to the programmed failure of PiperNet.

While everyone assumes Monica took the drive to NSA, an alternate theory to consider is that Jin-Yiang stole it at some point. When the documentary crew finds "Erlich", of course Jin-Yiang is sitting in the dark behind a computer screen- perhaps working on a new "Yao Net". That could pass as an allegory to Chinese hacking and technology theft. Wouldn't put it past Judge to leave that somewhat ambiguous because the social commentary about tech being dangerous in the hands of certain forces could apply equally to the NSA or the Chinese government.

Big Head as president of Stanford is also a subtle dig at universities and their administration. What is the old line...if you can't do, teach. And if you can't teach, administer.

Who couldn't see Jared content to live his life helping at senior centers or other such things. See that Zach Woods will be part of Avenue 5, which is a new comedy coming to HBO from the creator of Veep....I'll definitely check it out in which "Jared" is the head of customer relations for some space cruise ship.

Russ Hanneman as a hair transplant magnate....it might have been funny to see a brief infomercial for that.

Binge watched the season this last week and I enjoyed it. I don't try to analyze shows as much as some of you, I either like it or I don't. The only show I recall liking that I truly thought was terrible at the end was the Office. But nevertheless, a few observations.

1. Russfest was the best part of the season, by far. That guy is hilarious. I like how he pronounced "comma" in "tres commas" with an accent. I don't know why that cracked me up.

2. Bighead becoming president of Stanford was funny, a recall to his overall story line. Obviously absurd and unrealistic, but also seemed to me to be a nod to Idiocracy.

3. Being a Stanford professor as a sign of failure was good commentary, I thought. I get it, in a culture of billionaires, I see how that's the losing position. But it's fucking Stanford, just crazy to me to think about.

4. If there is any criticism from me, it's going back to the well of a big problem, and Richard disappearing for a few hours and finding some genius solution that nobody else could think of. The exact same as him discovery "middle-out compression" or whatever the fuck it is. I have other thoughts on believability, but I've managed to suspend that for enjoyment of the show overall.

5. I'm probably in the minority, but I could do without Jin Yang. Saying things in a funny accent just doesn't do it for me. The head butting between him and Ehrlich were funny, but I could do without him the rest of series after Ehrlich left.

6. I agree with everyone that Lori sucks. Trying to mimic Peter Gregory was a bad move. She's just annoying. I assume being in jail at the end had something to do with taking money from the criminal Chilean. Sort of some vindication for Richard turning him down.

7. Jared catching himself "mansplaining" cracked me up. "Was that gendered? Oh my god, that was gendered!" Almost felt like commentary from Judge about "woke" culture, that sometimes it happens even from well-meaning people and it can be forgivable from someone who you know isn't truly a sexist, or whatever.

8. The comparison to the "four-minute mile" and the a-bomb felt like a stream of thought from Judge about the topic. I don't really agree though. If Bannister had died from a prolapsed anus, someone still would have done it if it was humanly possible. The a-bomb would have been discovered eventually, even if we're all eventually fucked because of it. If AI that can crack all passwords can be developed, someone else will figure it out eventually, even if it means we're all fucked. Dinesh would have let it lose. Whoever discovered it next may or may not have Richard's ethics, uh, I mean "tethics." 

9. Along those lines, Monica working at the NSA can be one of two things. Either she took the drive and gave it to them, or she's on the lookout for signs that someone else has developed and is deploying the technology (without telling the NSA that it exists). I hadn't even thought about her taking it, but it makes sense. I sort of thought maybe Jin Yang had it.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Thought it was a good ending to the series. I assumed Richard lost the thumbdrive as something he would normally do but Monica stealing it would also work.

Pretty much.  Weak season overall, but I really enjoyed the finale.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:43 PM, RPM said:

This show had a tough row to hoe when the actor playing Peter Gregory suddenly died. It fundamentally changed the story.

Bomb threats to the show?? What’s the story on that? Also I loved the show. Every episode made me laugh and I’ll be sad to see it go

Suddenly died? I thought the Peter Gregory actor had terminal cancer and wasn’t expected to live very long. Maybe I’m misremembering.

Have their been comments about how they changed the story post Gregory?  It seemed to me they just stuck in a female Gregory with Lori (horrible choice) and continued on.  From what I remember of S1 Gregory was more of an actual mentor to Richard, so maybe that was the long-term plan, but where is the lulz in that?

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Have their been comments about how they changed the story post Gregory?  It seemed to me they just stuck in a female Gregory with Lori (horrible choice) and continued on.  From what I remember of S1 Gregory was more of an actual mentor to Richard, so maybe that was the long-term plan, but where is the lulz in that?

I love/hate the awkwardness on how Richard has zero idea about how to be a CEO: