ESPN to drop bowl with fake sponsor?

Beau Vine

One of the NCAA requirements for "certifying" a bowl is that it has to have a sponsor:

An alleged scammer duped ESPN into naming his nonexistent film production company the title sponsor for the New Mexico Bowl.

The Albuquerque Journal reported that ESPN severed ties with DreamHouse and its CEO Eric Martinez Friday, less than a month after beginning a partnership. The decision comes after reports from the Albuquerque Journal and Enchantment Sports revealed that DreamHouse wasn’t registered as an official business with the city.

A press release from ESPN states DreamHouse has a 25,000-square-foot post-production studio, which was where ESPN officials and Martinez said the sponsorship was announced. Reports say the location was mostly vacant, except for a café and a construction business.

Enchantment Sports contacted people who know Martinez and were given stories alleging he is a notorious liar and self-promoter.

“[Martinez has] gone from claiming he’s an Olympic boxer to a music manager, to the number one Latino actor in the country, to owning a magazine, to being a producer, to a director, to a filmmaker,” actor Steven Michael Quezada told Enchantment Sports.

ESPN’s agreement with DreamHouse was supposed to be for four years. Following the partnership announcement, New Mexico Bowl Director Jeff Siembieda expressed his excitement over the agreement.

“I think you know what the film industry is doing for our state,” Siembieda said. “It’s a hub for our economy, and DreamHouse is a big part of that. This partnership is right.”

13 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I made Mr and Mrs @RDCanecutter show me one when I was in Bama. It was an unmemorable fragment of an otherwise groovy day.

We actually had to venture out into Zombie Apocalypse Hill Country to find that one. The main one in the uppity neighborhood went belly-up.

And no, I'm still not driving through that  allegedly shallow puddle.