this program is an absolute fucking dumpster fire

BigOrange1

11 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Here is my thing. I expected our record to be good with maybe 9 or 10 wins. The part where I kick myself was believing that we would look competent and polished.

Same.  Same.  To Mack's credit, after the annual OU raping, he'd right the ship and rally the team, then they'd roll through the rest of the season.  Maybe drop one or two, then give us a fun bowl game.  This is where my dumb ass thought we'd be headed for.  Instead, we're imploding and the whole team is wound tighter than a dog trying to shit a peach seed.  When Sam looks scared and unsure of himself, you know it's bad.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just always skeptical of anyone in charge of anything this large, but a large portion of this fanbase just poured it on for two years how badly we needed Herman, how hot his name was in the coaching pool, how once we got him, he just needed a few years so he could course-correct this Longhorn ship, etc., etc., etc.  What did I miss?  He's forgotten more football than I'll ever learn, and I certainly don't have any better alternatives.  But when he was hired, many of us just thought, "Meh, okay...let's see what happens."  But so many fans told us he was the next big thing on the national scene and here we are three years later.  And he's averaging 5 losses per season and it's getting worse.  Tell me what you saw in him, please.  Is there still a chance he becomes the coach so many of you thought he could be?  Because he's going to be here in 2020.  No matter what.  What's the upside here?  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm just always skeptical of anyone in charge of anything this large, but a large portion of this fanbase just poured it on for two years how badly we needed Herman, how hot his name was in the coaching pool, how once we got him, he just needed a few years so he could course-correct this Longhorn ship, etc., etc., etc.  What did I miss?  He's forgotten more football than I'll ever learn, and I certainly don't have any better alternatives.  But when he was hired, many of us just thought, "Meh, okay...let's see what happens."  But so many fans told us he was the next big thing on the national scene and here we are three years later.  And he's averaging 5 losses per season and it's getting worse.  Tell me what you saw in him, please.  Is there still a chance he becomes the coach so many of you thought he could be?  Because he's going to be here in 2020.  No matter what.  What's the upside here?  

His win over FSU made me believe he was a competent coach, and I convinced myself that he mailed it in his last season at Houston because he knew he was headed to a big time program. Now I see I'm a fucking moron and he's dumber than Ed Orgeron. Holy shit that's insane in itself. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Watched the his presser after the game.  

I'm really,  really glad he explained the 10-80-10 rule. That cleared a lot of things up. 

He didn't even explain it correctly.  He was trying to explain the Pareto principle, which is 80/20.  He's not as intelligent as he thinks he is.  Nothing more impressive than watching someone opine on something with certainty and a lecturing tone while the whole room knows he doesn't understand fuck all about what he's telling you.  That was painful to listen to and I cringed with embarrassment while he did that.  Embarrassment for him.  That was some David Brent shit.  It was the first time I felt sorry for him.  This was after he helped define what "strain" meant.  Just stop, Tom.  You're not a fucking genius.

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I see 6-8. 
lose to Tech and then play a super motivated team when Texas doesn’t give a shit. This’ll be year the SEC allows aggy to play Texas in bowl and all the UT seniors will sit to protect themselves.

Now that would be something. 

He didn't even explain it correctly.  He was trying to explain the Pareto principle, which is 80/20.  He's not as intelligent as he thinks he is.  Nothing more impressive than watching someone opine on something with certainty and a lecturing tone while the whole room knows he doesn't understand fuck all about what he's telling you.  That was painful to listen to and I cringed with embarrassment while he did that.  Embarrassment for him.  That was some David Brent shit.  It was the first time I felt sorry for him.  This was after he helped define what "strain" meant.  Just stop, Tom.  You're not a fucking genius.

What he was jabbering about was not the Pareto principle. It is some other type of construct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I still believe he was a good hire, in that the information available to the college football world pointed to the very reasonable possibility for big success. Here was the thinking as I understood it by the men that were arguably most responsible for hiring him (Mike Perrin and his support system of donors, many from Houston):

1. He (in our eyes) successfully translated Urban Meyer's program to his first job at U of H. 

2. Urban Meyer legitimately learned certain power spread concepts from Tom Herman, but more importantly Tom Herman learned Urban's whole philosophy and successfully forged the two together, resulting in national championship level success using two different QBs. 

3. Tom Herman showed a deep understanding of the modern recruiting landscape, especially in the field of engaging 7 on 7 teams and creating unique and impressive environments for recruit visits but especially official visits. 

4. Herman had clear and very positive ties to both the state and the school. 

5. Herman communicated very specific program changes he felt were needed at Texas to interested alums while at U of H. He basically told us well before he got hired that we were wayyy behind in the facilities and infrastructure race. He had the same type of communication with U of H and Fertitta that was well received before he was hired there. By all accounts, Herman implemented the changes he suggested at U if H successfully. He backed his talk up when he told Fertitta they're wasting their time unless they do certain things. 

6. The timing was very good for it all to come together. We had trouble hiring someone during the previous search and it was a rough spot to be in. As a result, we got bent over by Charlie fucking Strong on the contract. 

7. D/FW donors weren't as influential during that period, as they were largely responsible for both the debacle with Mack at the end and the Steve Patterson. They basically had to sit that round out and just support the decision. Those two groups don't play that nice and the D/FW crowd had recently blown it big time in multiple ways. Fwiw, I don't really know where other areas of the state fall into this dynamic (I'm getting all of this from the houston side, and a tiny amount from the dallas side.) Also, I'm not saying D/FW folks didnt want Herman, a FW guy was super involved in the whole process. Just saying I think it's relevant that Houston was kind of on serve. 

8. I've realized this is way too long and Im just trying to make myself feel better, and no one is going to read this. 

Edited by Caddox
  • Like 6

I still believe he was a good hire, in that the information available to the college football world pointed to the very reasonable possibility for big success. Here was the thinking as I understood it by the men that were arguably most responsible for hiring him (Mike Perrin and his support system of donors, many from Houston):
1. He (in our eyes) successfully translated Urban Meyer's program to his first job at U of H. 
2. Urban Meyer legitimately learned certain power spread concepts from Tom Herman, but more importantly Tom Herman learned Urban's whole philosophy and successfully forged the two together, resulting in national championship level success using two different QBs. 
3. Tom Herman showed a deep understanding of the modern recruiting landscape, especially in the field of engaging 7 on 7 teams and creating unique and impressive environments for recruit visits but especially official visits. 
5. Herman communicated very specific program changes he felt were needed at Texas to interested alums while at U of H. He basically told us well before he got hired that we were wayyy behind in the facilities and infrastructure race. He had the same type of communication with U of H and Fertitta that was well received before he was hired there. By all accounts, Herman implemented the changes he suggested at U if H successfully. He backed his talk up when he told Fertitta they're wasting their time unless they do certain things. 
6. The timing was very good for it all to come together. We had trouble hiring someone during the previous search and it was a rough spot to be in. As a result, we got bent over by Charlie fucking Strong on the contract. 
7. D/FW donors weren't as influential during that period, as they were largely responsible for both the debacle with Mack at the end and the Steve Patterson. They basically had to sit that round out and just support the decision. Those two groups don't play that nice and the D/FW crowd had recently blown it big time in multiple ways. Fwiw, I don't really know where other areas of the state fall into this dynamic (I'm getting all of this from the houston side, and a tiny amount from the dallas side.) Also, I'm not saying D/FW folks didnt want Herman, a FW guy was super involved in the whole process. Just saying I think it's relevant that Houston was kind of on serve. 
8. I've realized this is way too long and Im just trying to make myself feel better, and no one is going to read this. 

dude smoke a joint and watch Die Hard. you"ll feel a lot better.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Caddox said:

then he lost to SMU, UConn and Memphis.  Houston BMD's panicked with Herman as the only option.  Herman was Charlie with one more big win and marketing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

then he lost to SMU, UConn and Memphis.  Houston BMD's panicked with Herman as the only option.  Herman was Charlie with one more big win and marketing.

I mean it wasn't really a panic, it had been like a year in the making. Dud hire though and I suspect that Houston crowd is pretty quiet at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

For what it's worth, this is a spot on analysis if you ask me. 

• Like 1

The more this program continues to spiral, the more I am starting to think the problem is Austin, TX. Too much distraction, too much to do that's non-football related, and all of that is part of the recruiting pitch. Come to Austin, we have lots of awesome things for you to do that isn't football. Look at all the LHN cameras following you around. You'll be a TV star before you even score a touchdown. If you're halfway decent, you'll be treated like a king. Or go to Tuscaloosa or Columbus where there isn't a got-damn thing to do other than football to the point where it's almost guaranteed you'll become an NFL draft pick. A certain type of player will gravitate towards one or the other. USC and Miami made it work despite the distracting location because they threw a ton of money at the best of the best who could work hard and play hard. Once the money train was over, those programs have suffered the same fate as Texas.

If a player wants to play at Texas because he wants to live in Austin, that's a huge red flag for me from now on.

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The more this program continues to spiral, the more I am starting to think the problem is Austin, TX. Too much distraction, too much to do that's non-football related, and all of that is part of the recruiting pitch. Come to Austin, we have lots of awesome things for you to do that isn't football. Look at all the LHN cameras following you around. You'll be a TV star before you even score a touchdown. If you're halfway decent, you'll be treated like a king. Or go to Tuscaloosa or Columbus where there isn't a got-damn thing to do other than football to the point where it's almost guaranteed you'll become an NFL draft pick. A certain type of player will gravitate towards one or the other. USC and Miami made it work despite the distracting location because they threw a ton of money at the best of the best who could work hard and play hard. Once the money train was over, those programs have suffered the same fate as Texas.

If a player wants to play at Texas because he wants to live in Austin, that's a huge red flag for me from now on.

Yeah this is wrong.  We all said it was a big mistake to hire Beck, Mehringer, Warehime, Meekins.  The problem is he brought a shit staff.  Strong did the same.  Has nothing to do with Austin and has everything to do with coaching.

The players at Bama are gods.  They also have tv cameras... more than we do actually.  They have pressure to win every week.  They also have distractions.  They just have a coach and staff that prepares them and teaches them.  Austin has no relation to Herman calling shit plays on 4th down.... 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The players at Bama are gods.  They also have tv cameras... more than we do actually.  They have pressure to win every week.  They also have distractions.  They just have a coach and staff that prepares them and teaches them.  Austin has no relation to Herman calling shit plays on 4th down.... 

They have football related distractions. And the program has been a dumpster fire for a decade. Herman calling shit plays on 4th down didn't make Charlie lose to Kansas or 41-7 to BYU or 24-0 to ISU. Only two years out of the last ten have had a recruiting class outside of the top 10 over the course of 3 coaches and 3 ADs. Only two AP post season rankings, only one of those the top 10, first decade without a conference championship, only 6 bowl games with a 4-2 record. All with recruiting classes with an average ranking of top 10. Players who come to Austin in the last 10 years wither on the vine, regardless of who the coach is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

They have football related distractions. And the program has been a dumpster fire for a decade. Herman calling shit plays on 4th down didn't make Charlie lose to Kansas or 41-7 to BYU or 24-0 to ISU. Only two years out of the last ten have had a recruiting class outside of the top 10 over the course of 3 coaches and 3 ADs. Only two AP post season rankings, only one of those the top 10, first decade without a conference championship, only 6 bowl games with a 4-2 record. All with recruiting classes with an average ranking of top 10. Players who come to Austin in the last 10 years wither on the vine, regardless of who the coach is.

JFC, the problem is not ATX. The problem is our Athletic Department and its influencers proving they have no methodology to success other than monetizing a product.

Take away the "remote" schools if you'd like, remove bama, ND and Clemson. Lots of distractions in Columbus, Ann Arbor/Detroit, ou players are always into okc shit, Athens/Atlanta is very enticing, SoCal, Seattle.....ATX has nothing to do with our AD hiring poor leaders, they are the ones failing. Every organization starts at the top and to me, CDC/Fenves have to prove they can get it done. The track and softball hires are homers, let's see how they solve FB/BB*2/Soccer.

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Lou Loomis said:

It’s a walking goddamned nightmare that just won’t end.

And i'm sick of people from around the country telling me how i'm not entitled to feel this way after only 10 years in the wilderness.  Both coasts.  The midwest.  Especially the east coast.  I try to explain what's happened and i end up with "from the inside you can't explain it, from the outside you can't understand it."

The Tower, Bellmont, Mack, Deloss, Patterson, Strong, Therm and, possibly CDC pending what he does or doesn't do..... have combined over the past 10 years to leave us in a pit of despair lacking any hope at all.

Behold Lord Burley, for we have gone.... Full aggy.