Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

Keller’s is one of my favorite spots on Earth. They will deliver you multiple beers while you sit in the driver seat and you can just drive away. Also whoever mentioned Herd burgers knows what’s up. 

Our game was to guess which one of the girls would be most likely to escape, there were very few.

I saw "dumplings", my brain went to Chinese food (I know they're not exclusively) from DQ.  It was late last night, I had a few glasses of wine with the chill of winter in the air.  

You're young, Meyer is coming to Texas, that was 300 posts ago...try to focus on the big picture dude and be happy.  

$9.95

Bruce Feldman

1. Urban Meyer
Full disclosure: I work with the former Ohio State head coach at FOX on our “Big Noon Kickoff” show.

Meyer is the elephant in the room when it comes to potentially huge coaching openings, and there could be one coming open this winter at Texas. Tom Herman is near the end of his fourth season at Texas, and the Longhorns are nowhere close to being a top-10 team. And despite a strong second season when they finished No. 9, it’s been very underwhelming.

After last season, Herman fired most of his staff — many of whom he brought with him from Houston — but the results haven’t been much better. A loss last Friday at home to Iowa State dropped Herman to 7-7 in his last 14 games. The feeling is this program should be better than it is now, and recruiting is backsliding. It would take $15 million-plus to move on from Herman, not to mention the cost of parting with the coaching staff.

People with knowledge of the matter say the UT brass is prepared to move on from Herman, but where they’d go next is the really intriguing part. Herman’s old boss, Meyer, is the wish candidate. He won national titles at Florida and at Ohio State and wasted little time getting them there. The 56-year-old does have health concerns, and those were a real factor in him walking away from a plum job in Columbus. Does he still want badly to be on the sidelines?

Here’s my read on the situation: It’s really, really, really hard for coaches who walked away on top to stay away — especially someone as wildly competitive as Meyer is. In Texas, you have a big job in a conference that appears ripe for the taking. This certainly isn’t the meat grinder that is the SEC. There are some parallels to how watered down the Big Ten was back when Meyer first showed up in Columbus. Meyer also has a good window into what’s going on inside at Texas and the personnel there given his former defensive coordinator Chris Ash now runs the Longhorns defense. Texas has great resources and a hefty recruiting base that Meyer did well mining when he was at Ohio State.

All that said, Meyer has taken to TV really well. He is extremely engaged in our show and very passionate about it — maybe as much as any analyst that I’ve worked with in TV. He genuinely cares about the show and takes great pride in the presence he has as a commentator on the sport, so I could definitely see him staying committed to that. I’ve worked with some former coaches who moved into TV and they essentially went through the motions, coasting on their name and personalities. That is definitely not Meyer or how he’s transitioned to it here.

I don’t know this for certain, but I suspect there are moments when he’s tempted by the prospects of being back in it as a coach, striving toward building and running a powerhouse being wired for how all-consuming that is. And then there probably are other days when he’s very comfortable with his situation now.

Edited by Tailgate

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Gotta do what we can to get new blood here. That's just good twitter game. 

Fine. Let them in and give them some posting privileges. But the SECOND they post about fucking hamburgers or general aviation on a coach search thread, ban the fuck out of them.

4 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

$9.95

Bruce Feldman

1. Urban Meyer
Full disclosure: I work with the former Ohio State head coach at FOX on our “Big Noon Kickoff” show.

Meyer is the elephant in the room when it comes to potentially huge coaching openings, and there could be one coming open this winter at Texas. Tom Herman is near the end of his fourth season at Texas, and the Longhorns are nowhere close to being a top-10 team. And despite a strong second season when they finished No. 9, it’s been very underwhelming.

After last season, Herman fired most of his staff — many of whom he brought with him from Houston — but the results haven’t been much better. A loss last Friday at home to Iowa State dropped Herman to 7-7 in his last 14 games. The feeling is this program should be better than it is now, and recruiting is backsliding. It would take $15 million-plus to move on from Herman, not to mention the cost of parting with the coaching staff.

People with knowledge of the matter say the UT brass is prepared to move on from Herman, but where they’d go next is the really intriguing part. Herman’s old boss, Meyer, is the wish candidate. He won national titles at Florida and at Ohio State and wasted little time getting them there. The 56-year-old does have health concerns, and those were a real factor in him walking away from a plum job in Columbus. Does he still want badly to be on the sidelines?

Here’s my read on the situation: It’s really, really, really hard for coaches who walked away on top to stay away — especially someone as wildly competitive as Meyer is. In Texas, you have a big job in a conference that appears ripe for the taking. This certainly isn’t the meat grinder that is the SEC. There are some parallels to how watered down the Big Ten was back when Meyer first showed up in Columbus. Meyer also has a good window into what’s going on inside at Texas and the personnel there given his former defensive coordinator Chris Ash now runs the Longhorns defense. Texas has great resources and a hefty recruiting base that Meyer did well mining when he was at Ohio State.

All that said, Meyer has taken to TV really well. He is extremely engaged in our show and very passionate about it — maybe as much as any analyst that I’ve worked with in TV. He genuinely cares about the show and takes great pride in the presence he has as a commentator on the sport, so I could definitely see him staying committed to that. I’ve worked with some former coaches who moved into TV and they essentially went through the motions, coasting on their name and personalities. That is definitely not Meyer or how he’s transitioned to it here.

I don’t know this for certain, but I suspect there are moments when he’s tempted by the prospects of being back in it as a coach, striving toward building and running a powerhouse being wired for how all-consuming that is. And then there probably are other days when he’s very comfortable with his situation now.

Urban Meyer looks over at Mack at UNC, smiles and says SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET I got this. 

Burton- Tuesday

I think we can all agree that Sam Ehlinger has endured a pretty rough and tumble four years as the starting QB at Texas. Not just riding the roller coaster of emotions of wins and losses, but physically, he has given his body to the game and his team.

So when Sam Cosmi, a team captain, elects to opt out and go pro two or three games early, thereby leaving Ehlinger theoretically more exposed than before, I’m sorry if I don’t clap for Cosmi on his way out the door no matter how he performed in his career.

Nor do I clap for Caden Sterns. Another captain who wasn’t really a captain after all.

By no means am I denigrating their play on the field. Even though I think Cosmi never quite reached the level of All-American, I think he came as close to maximizing his ability as any talented Texas OL has in years. He should be applauded for that. And while Sterns has his deficiencies, especially against speed and quickness in space, he too is a mostly solid player.

Yet I feel strongly that neither captain is actually acting as a captain. The captain goes down with the ship, he’s the one everyone else looks to for guidance in times of tumult. Either they do that or the captains shouldn’t have agreed to be captains in the first place.

I know not everyone will agree with this opinion, and that’s fine. But football, at its core, is a team sport. Your actions impact those of your teammates.

So on Saturday, as we watch the left-side of the Texas pocket collapse earlier than usual because a true freshman is thrust into service at left tackle and Ehlinger takes a hit he might not have otherwise taken, I ask everyone to realize that all choices a person makes can not be about themselves, no matter how justified or financially motivated. Choices impact others.

Especially the choices of “captains”.

I spent some time looking into possible hires of Urban Meyer at Texas.

One name was brought to me from an Ohio State reporter that was interesting.

UCLA offensive coordinator Justin Frye was a GA at Florida and worked for close Meyer friend Steve Adazzio at Temple and Boston College. Frye also coaches the offensive line which would more naturally allow Meyer’s son-in-law Corey Dennis to take the QB coaching position.

Does this mean Meyer to Texas is definitely happening? No, of course not. But it’s a peak into what Meyer might be thinking.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

You people realize there won’t be an announcement on Meyer made until after we fire Herman, right? I mean, if we announced him before firing Herman you could knock me over with the tiny feather that Futureman calls a penis. 

The rumor mill, particular the AGENT circles, will be our best/first indicator. I know it’s Tuesday, but I’d set expectations accordingly. That doesn’t mean we won’t get good news today even. Or bad. Just that it isn’t likely coming in press conference format. 

And whataburger till I motherfuckin’ die. Or until the new patent company ruins it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You people realize there won’t be an announcement on Meyer made until after we fire Herman, right? I mean, if we announced him before firing Herman you could knock me over with the tiny feather that Futureman calls a penis. 

The rumor mill, particular the AGENT circles, will be our best/first indicator. I know it’s Tuesday, but I’d set expectations accordingly. That doesn’t mean we won’t get good news today even. Or bad. Just that it isn’t likely coming in press conference format. 

And whataburger till I motherfuckin’ die. Or until the new patent company ruins it. 

Yes, Paulie Bleaker.  People are just having some fun and you are pissing in their cheerios.  Go back to watching cartoons or whatever the fk you do.  

5 hours ago, BERT said:

Try doing it in Longview fucking Texas. Dating sucks in this town even without a pandemic going on. Being 40 with no kids doesn’t help in a small town apparently lol

on the flip side at least there are some cool new-ish spots there now vs say 5-10 years ago when it was truly  wasteland.

that said, there are only like 3 or maybe 4 places i "miss" from LV

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yup, all about how quickly Herman is fired. We won’t hear anything till that. If Herman is still here a week from now we have the answer from Urban and it ain’t good

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

mad people GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why could we not do both in the same day? Or within 24 hours of one another. 

So, you telling me that we sent a hipster in red skinny pants and a guy with a cowboy hat and a Ferrari golf polo to seal the deal?
Forget that...there are Sheiks in Dubai passing around hats for donations after seeing the interior of that private jet. They're starting to feel gulity about our poors flying around in city busses with wings.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The new ownership will ruin Whataburger, it's inevitable.

It's time for a new signature Texas burger chain anyway..but they must be 24/7...and allow drunken 3am bro fights occasionally.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Either this guy has pretty much made up his mind, and it's a formality, or he will ask for time to "think it over" (or use that ploy for any remaining perks) - I think if he were a "leaning no" or no by now he'd simply decline the possibility outright.  There's no question that he probably knows 99.9% of what his contract would offer/include.  

With some hope to scrape up the last scraps of a horrible recruiting tack so far this year, I can easily see a decision announced later today or tomorrow with the caveat that Herman's dismissal would be announced just before and Ash or someone takes over now.  It's so meaningless that Caden Stearns could take over as coach, so the step of firing Herman is nothing.  I think his buyout goes down $3mil today (not sure if now or midnight), and that will have something to do with it.

My gut is if it happens, it'll be Wed or after, or a day or two after the KSU game this weekend (these things are usually announced on weekends). 

But one thing is for certain - it won't matter when the official announcement is, if he accepts, it'll come out like the Noadic flood... with all the leakers (including current staff) out there, the official announcement would simply be a formality.  So people would be 100% sure before such presser.

And I LOVE Whataburger, but alas, I don't eat'em much because Bret Bielema and Mark Mangino recommend them on their diets.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

The new ownership will ruin Whataburger, it's inevitable.

It's time for a new signature Texas burger chain anyway..but they must be 24/7...and allow drunken 3am bro fights occasionally.

image.jpeg.682e1a46bdff9cdb2a3cc27d99187198.jpeg

i only see them in small towns though

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

This thread is a fast food discussion disaster.  There's more about shitty cheeseburgers than actual UM discussion. Seems about right. 

what are your feelings on cheese-based puns?

sounds like you have a brie in your bonnet about this cheeseburger thing

• Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic