Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Not to piss on the flaming grease fire that is the fast food burger/Urban Meyer/private jet interior lamentation thread here, but one of my buddies has suddenly become despondent over our prospects. Everybody should commence panicking. 
I'm going to pretend I didnt see this and go about my day as per usual..

so we're gonna pay $25mil+ in buyouts to roll the dice on another "up and comer"? yeah, no, especially being 0 for 2 recently.  If the Urban train is just trolling/gossip, mensa fucko will be here another year and they'll hope a big enough name is available then.  Just be ready to riot....or rejoice.

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

..RollLeft once told me that he was going to murder me and fuck my wife in a neg rep comment on Shaggy, though. It remains the single greatest rep experience I’ve ever had. 

Dude sounds like a dick!  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzJ_lDc7VySdoZt6QUh1H

Edited by RollLeft
  • Haha 1

Just now, ballrific said:

so we're gonna pay $25mil+ in buyouts to roll the dice on another "up and comer"? yeah, no, especially being 0 for 2 recently.  If the Urban train is just trolling/gossip, mensa fucko will be here another year and they'll hope a big enough name is available then.  Just be ready to riot....or rejoice.

Another year where every recruit knows he's getting fired will severely harm this program.  You cannot have 2 back to back years of transition classes.  Plus, the 2023 recruits will have to develop relationships quickly with a new potential staff.  Add in that our own assistants will have one foot out the door.  He's getting fired this year. He's being asked job security questions after every game by the media.  CDC has yet to speak out and support him publicly.  Even if we don't get Meyer, you cannot keep Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, victory88 said:

Another year where every recruit knows he's getting fired will severely harm this program.  You cannot have 2 back to back years of transition classes.  Plus, the 2023 recruits will have to develop relationships quickly with a new potential staff.  Add in that our own assistants will have one foot out the door.  He's getting fired this year. He's being asked job security questions after every game by the media.  CDC has yet to speak out and support him publicly.  Even if we don't get Meyer, you cannot keep Herman.

we getting quinn back plus finally close that huge leak of Texas HS football players to tosu

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not to piss on the flaming grease fire that is the fast food burger/Urban Meyer/private jet interior lamentation thread here, but one of my buddies has suddenly become despondent over our prospects. Everybody should commence panicking. 

With all due respect, that guy sounds like an asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I can't get shit done today... been refreshing this thread since Sunday.  I don't care who, but someone needs to get fired today.  Fuck, fire Casey Horney at least. 

If this thread keeps going at its current pace there will be a ton of Surly posters getting the boot today

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, ballrific said:

Texas is using the same philosophy I used in college: when you strike out on the 10, you make it up with five 2's. 

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

How Dare You Greta GIF

• Haha 1

I believe that was triplehorn, and it was awesome. RollLeft once told me that he was going to murder me and fuck my wife in a neg rep comment on Shaggy, though. It remains the single greatest rep experience I’ve ever had. 

We really do need the rep comment back, it was a great way to bring grade A humor and make comments that didn’t derail the thread.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

From Asi Wasserman at The Athletic:

Let me start this off by giving my official prediction of whether Meyer is going to end up at Texas next year: No.

Though I do think there are interesting reasons why he’d want to go there — to build another storied program back up, to potentially work with his son-in-law (Corey Dennis is the quarterbacks coach at Ohio State) and to add to his already-impressive legacy — his health is still a major question. He has a nice, cushy job with Fox, and as my colleague Bruce Feldman pointed out, he actually has a passion for being a good analyst. Bruce would know best, too, because he works with Meyer at Fox.

The truth of the matter, though, is that there is only one person who really knows whether Meyer is even considering a return to coaching — and that’s Meyer. He is the only one who knows whether he can put his body through this, if he still has gas in the tank, and, perhaps most importantly, whether his family — which was scared to death about his physical well-being at the end of his coaching tenure at Ohio State — would be supportive. Meyer is a master of building programs, and though it may not make sense to me that he’d leave the already-built Ohio State to go through a stressful rebuild at Texas, the man does have a passion for building and winning.

Everything about this is speculation, regardless of how many dumb stories you see about how his wife is scouting real estate in Austin. Also, Tom Herman hasn’t even been fired. But I do love the question. So here’s to spending less time wondering if it could happen and more time on what it would look like if it did.

First, I think Texas would be in the College Football Playoff in two or three years. There would be a ton of speculation on who Meyer would bring to Texas — such as Ohio State player personnel director Mark Pantoni, strength coach Mickey Marotti and Dennis. But even if he gets only one of those (most likely Dennis, who is family), Meyer is still one of the best recruiters in the history of the game. I had a front-row seat as he took Ohio State from a top-10 program to a top-three program, and it was all done through recruiting. It was done by attacking higher-caliber prospects and keeping Ohio kids home, sure, but it was also done by building an infrastructure that created a competitive environment that promoted development, success and, most important, a program that would produce NFL millionaires.

Meyer would do all those things at Texas. The Longhorns immediately would take a step forward in their own state and would start signing top-three classes. He’d immediately get on the phone with five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll and five-star receiver Caleb Burton of Del Valle (Texas) High, both Ohio State commitments. He may not be successful at flipping those prospects to Texas, but let me assure you that Ohio State’s continued raiding of Texas would slow down by the 2023 class.

That brings us to the last part of the question, which is how Ohio State would respond. The Buckeyes have been tremendous at outlining a recruiting plan, and part of that plan is attacking national locations where big-time programs are down. That’s why Texas was such an appealing place to target when Herman (ironically) opened the door for Ohio State in the Lone Star State with J.T. Barrett in 2013. But even if the Longhorns got things rolling again, I don’t think OSU would completely retreat because, well, there are so many kids in Texas, and the Longhorns, even at the height of success, can’t take them all.

Ohio State would continue to execute its national recruiting approach, whether it be in Texas, California, Florida and everywhere in between. Pantoni’s genius is that he knows exactly where to attack and where to send assistants to spend time, which changes every year. It used to be Georgia when Mark Richt was in Athens, but the emphasis on that state has changed now that Kirby Smart is doing so well. This stuff is all changing constantly, and Ohio State has been able to adjust. That’s what makes elite-level recruiting stay elite.

Man, this would be fun, wouldn’t it? Meyer getting Texas “back” and creating a fun little recruiting rivalry. Isn’t that what college football is about?

Oh, and Texas and Ohio State have games on the schedule in 2025 and 2026.

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@RGBIII @Schulz2.0

What do y’all make of this post by Nahlin this AM?

C47D7A42-F8B1-4EBA-AF76-3FCACD80278E.jpeg

I just took it as he hasn’t been told Urban has accepted or declined, and therefore he’s assuming the last hang up is health clearance (either from a doctor or family). He would be more direct if he’d actually heard something on that front.

1 minute ago, HillaryFan420 said:

I didn't know he had a restaurant in Columbus.  Might as well close this thread there's no way he's leaving that behind for some coaching gig.

Maybe he's moving to Austin to resurrect Luby's?  A guy can hope.

The medical clearance issue is overblown. Beyond advising him to avoid stressful activity, what else will a physician do? The man is healthy enough to work as a commentator (and he seems to take that job pretty seriously). AFAIK, there has not been a medical restriction that has been reported thus far precluding him from being a head football coach at a blueblood school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe he's only despondent because he had to write a 25million dollar buyout check? No? Alright I'll be depressed too then.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic