Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I guess that is possible. It certainly could be a negotiation ploy. But if you wanted this to happen what you did not want to hear about this week was his chatter about his health. 

While I agree the health issue becoming a real holdup would be a problem, all I've seen so far is impatient fans speculating that could be the reason why nothing's happened in the last 48 hours. If people with actual sources start reporting the health thing, then it's a bad sign.  Even then, it could just be a tactic by his agent for more money, though I'm not sure how much room is left when we're already at 5/60, but if Urban Meyer weren't the type of guy to ruthlessly squeeze every last dime out of a desperate program, then we wouldn't all be clamoring for him to be our next head coach.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ketch

Hide contents

Just wanted to pass along a few notes on things during this moment of quiet ...

a. It's very gloomy around the football facility. All of us on staff pretty much communicated with at least one person on the football side of things on Monday and there's a sense that they know what the future holds and that the end could come at any time. Some fear exists inside the building that change could come before Saturday's game, although that's not something that we have heard through any kind of credible sourcing. It's just part of the anxiety that is being felt inside the football department.

b. In speaking with a couple of people inside the industry on Monday, there was a general feeling that keeping Herman around this week would provide cover for Urban Meyer to make a decision about his future without a spotlight shining on him in a way that an announcement of Herman's firing would create. With the game on Saturday morning, there's a belief that Meyer has this week to take all of the time he needs to figure out what he wants to do with his family.

One agent involved with college football that is involved with various levels of the Texas program told me he believes an unofficial deadline might exist at the end of the week, before Meyer joins the Fox Studio Show for the pre-game of Texas/Kansas State, which will air at 11 a.m. on Fox.

"I think he'll want to avoid any embarrassment that might come from discussing a job that he might want on national television, while the current coach still is officially in place. No matter what he thinks of Herman, there's a protocol about these things that you're expected to follow as a coach and I think Meyer will hold himself to a standard that keeps him from being in that kind of position."

If Meyer says no, he'd be able to talk about the job on the set without the cloud of him taking the job being the elephant in the room, but what if he wants the job?

Then what?

"That would make for an interesting Saturday morning," the agent said. "I wouldn't be surprised if that happened if Texas released a statement announcing his fate before the game starts on Saturday. Basically, they'll do whatever Urban wants them to do, I would think."

Speculation is growing that whatever happens with Meyer's decision will likely happen before Saturday's pre-game show takes place. If not, it'll set up one of the more fascinating pre-game show moments in recent college football history.

c. I texted with a high-level administration official on Monday night and although they didn't have a clue as to the direction this thing would take, the fact that Shelley Meyer (Urban's wife) has been good-natured and relaxed about the conversation of her husband coming to Texas on social media is viewed as a good sign.

"Momma has to be happy for Urban to be happy. At least, Momma doesn't seem mad!" the source said.

d. Finally, something to keep an eye on. We've heard from folks with knowledge of the situation that both Joseph Ossai and Brennan Eagles are evaluating their NFL options. We don't know if they will pull the trigger, but sources close to both players say they are pondering the possibility.

lulz. I dont buy for a second that Ketch has any info on this. Orangefans has sold themselves to Herman and he doesn't know jack shit about this.  Even if there were an informal deadline for a decision before Saturday, I could still see them waiting to formally announce until after the KSU game. Either way, acting like the Fox Morning Show has any impact is so dumb.  If Meyer tells the execs and his co-hosts not to make a peep about the situation, then they won't. 

The Eagles considering declaring news is rich.  The guy doesn't even have 1,000 career receiving yards, yet I fully expect him to declare so he can fight for his life to make a practice squad for a couple weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Ketch

Reveal hidden contents

Just wanted to pass along a few notes on things during this moment of quiet ...

a. It's very gloomy around the football facility. All of us on staff pretty much communicated with at least one person on the football side of things on Monday and there's a sense that they know what the future holds and that the end could come at any time. Some fear exists inside the building that change could come before Saturday's game, although that's not something that we have heard through any kind of credible sourcing. It's just part of the anxiety that is being felt inside the football department.

b. In speaking with a couple of people inside the industry on Monday, there was a general feeling that keeping Herman around this week would provide cover for Urban Meyer to make a decision about his future without a spotlight shining on him in a way that an announcement of Herman's firing would create. With the game on Saturday morning, there's a belief that Meyer has this week to take all of the time he needs to figure out what he wants to do with his family.

One agent involved with college football that is involved with various levels of the Texas program told me he believes an unofficial deadline might exist at the end of the week, before Meyer joins the Fox Studio Show for the pre-game of Texas/Kansas State, which will air at 11 a.m. on Fox.

"I think he'll want to avoid any embarrassment that might come from discussing a job that he might want on national television, while the current coach still is officially in place. No matter what he thinks of Herman, there's a protocol about these things that you're expected to follow as a coach and I think Meyer will hold himself to a standard that keeps him from being in that kind of position."

If Meyer says no, he'd be able to talk about the job on the set without the cloud of him taking the job being the elephant in the room, but what if he wants the job?

Then what?

"That would make for an interesting Saturday morning," the agent said. "I wouldn't be surprised if that happened if Texas released a statement announcing his fate before the game starts on Saturday. Basically, they'll do whatever Urban wants them to do, I would think."

Speculation is growing that whatever happens with Meyer's decision will likely happen before Saturday's pre-game show takes place. If not, it'll set up one of the more fascinating pre-game show moments in recent college football history.

c. I texted with a high-level administration official on Monday night and although they didn't have a clue as to the direction this thing would take, the fact that Shelley Meyer (Urban's wife) has been good-natured and relaxed about the conversation of her husband coming to Texas on social media is viewed as a good sign.

"Momma has to be happy for Urban to be happy. At least, Momma doesn't seem mad!" the source said.

d. Finally, something to keep an eye on. We've heard from folks with knowledge of the situation that both Joseph Ossai and Brennan Eagles are evaluating their NFL options. We don't know if they will pull the trigger, but sources close to both players say they are pondering the possibility.

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Does Meyer call his wife ‘Momma?’

For cyber Monday, my shaman colleague sold me a divining rod from his merch store and last night we did some astral projecting to determine any risks the cyst actually poses. Rather than all this wild speculation, we wanted real, rigorous evidence to come to a rational understanding of the issue. 

After a long night of searching and projecting, we found no evidence to suggest the the cyst poses any health concerns. We’re in the clear, boys.

Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor

Staff member
Based on information received this morning we can definitively state that any hopes of Urban Meyer being a done deal as of today are unjustified. Health concerns are real, and as someone stated to us yesterday, it’s the only thing that could scuttle the deal. 

The ball remains in Urban’s court, but UT can’t sit idle. That would be negligent.

It’s flight tracking season except Texas is two steps ahead of you and is using delisted planes. That’ll take a little of the fun away, but that’s where we come in.

We can’t give you a new name, but we can tell you he’s a current NFL coach. It’s too soon to call him the clear #2 but it’s a name that has us excited.

Joe is going to try and keep up and post responses in the body of this post. Good luck to him.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TejasPedro said:

Can we hire the Cyst?
We took our chances with a carbuncle and it failed.

CDC just do it. Hire the cyst, bring in Meyer as an intern.

I’d rather have the cyst on staff than Casey fucking Horny. Both are intrusive pieces of shit but at least the cyst doesn’t condone rape

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor

Staff member
Based on information received this morning we can definitively state that any hopes of Urban Meyer being a done deal as of today are unjustified. Health concerns are real, and as someone stated to us yesterday, it’s the only thing that could scuttle the deal. 

The ball remains in Urban’s court, but UT can’t sit idle. That would be negligent.

It’s flight tracking season except Texas is two steps ahead of you and is using delisted planes. That’ll take a little of the fun away, but that’s where we come in.

We can’t give you a new name, but we can tell you he’s a current NFL coach. It’s too soon to call him the clear #2 but it’s a name that has us excited.

Joe is going to try and keep up and post responses in the body of this post. Good luck to him.

Black Widow Avengers GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor

Staff member

tfw GIF

Can anyone give me a good reason why they get their dick hard about Shanahan? What makes us think he could recruit or coach the college game? I get that he's a young coach who took his team to the SB but he's spent his entire career in the NFL

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Not to piss on the flaming grease fire that is the fast food burger/Urban Meyer/private jet interior lamentation thread here, but one of my buddies has suddenly become despondent over our prospects. Everybody should commence panicking. 

this is the news I got Saturday, and this thread is the only thing that's kept me off the ledge so far.

• Rage+1 1

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The Eagles considering declaring news is rich.  The guy doesn't even have 1,000 career receiving yards, yet I fully expect him to declare so he can fight for his life to make a practice squad for a couple weeks. 

giphy.gif 

Well Go Ahead and Fly Eagles

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Either this guy has pretty much made up his mind, and it's a formality, or he will ask for time to "think it over" (or use that ploy for any remaining perks) - I think if he were a "leaning no" or no by now he'd simply decline the possibility outright.  There's no question that he probably knows 99.9% of what his contract would offer/include.  

With some hope to scrape up the last scraps of a horrible recruiting tack so far this year, I can easily see a decision announced later today or tomorrow with the caveat that Herman's dismissal would be announced just before and Ash or someone takes over now.  It's so meaningless that Caden Stearns could take over as coach, so the step of firing Herman is nothing.  I think his buyout goes down $3mil today (not sure if now or midnight), and that will have something to do with it.

My gut is if it happens, it'll be Wed or after, or a day or two after the KSU game this weekend (these things are usually announced on weekends). 

But one thing is for certain - it won't matter when the official announcement is, if he accepts, it'll come out like the Noadic flood... with all the leakers (including current staff) out there, the official announcement would simply be a formality.  So people would be 100% sure before such presser.

And I LOVE Whataburger, but alas, I don't eat'em much because Bret Bielema and Mark Mangino recommend them on their diets.

I feel like Sterns would be slow to accept the offer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

Shanahan wouldn't be offered 12 million.

Its not Shanahan.

Honestly - there aren't very many NFL head coaches that would get me terribly excited.  Most of them are NFL lifers who have never had to recruit or deal with the bullshit of a college job.

Among assistants there are plenty of 'exciting' candidates - but how many of them have head coaching experience (at any level)? I don't want another guy learning on the job.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic