Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Nahlin:

EN: There’s some speculation that he’s also struggling to grab the guys he needs from Ohio State. Not sure if that’s true, but makes more sense to me than health issues not being understood a month ago

Might be easier as the Ryan Day to NFL talk starts heating up

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'd rather have Harsin than any NFL assistant.

Recruiting and relationships with HS coaches are such critical components of running a college program. I think the vast majority of NFL coaches would fail miserably at those two things. Neither of them is as facile as throwing your Super Bowl rings on the coffee table and bragging about "how we did it in New England".

And there's no "touchdown button" in the college game-- the idea that any of these guys are so brilliant that they have a decided schematic advantage over guys who've never been in the NFL is laughable in all but a few cases, so don't expect an NFL guy to come in and whip a bunch of selfish, lazy 4* players into a juggernaut through game-planning and playcalling.

And yes I know anyone who's inclined to disagree with the above will say "Pete Carroll Pete Carroll Pete Carroll Pete Carroll". Pete Carroll is a Grade-A psychological masterpiece of sociopathy and pandering. If you watched the 60 Minutes piece on him and read about his time in LA, it sounds like the next time he takes a hard stand with a recruit or player will be the first.

The closest we could get to him would be Eric Bienemy. Good luck with that culture fit. I would vote Bienemy "most likely to leave a 5-game losing streak behind by returning to the NFL with two games left on the schedule."

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

Plus San Francisco with all its natural beauty has become unlivable.  

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If Urban is just now leveraging health and Texas just happens to start leaking NFL names that are interested then this thing is probably close to getting done. Pressure gets deals done. 

Now there is the sunshine I needed. This is now what I believe wholeheartedly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The cyst was always going to be the hold up - if there was a hold up.  I don’t know why rap game Larry is so sure it’s done but he’s just as wrong as futureman who is sure it’s not happening.  The situation - its fluid.  

Isn’t he flying to wherever the Fox show is? Or is riding a bus Madden style?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

And yes I know anyone who's inclined to disagree with the above will say "Pete Carroll Pete Carroll Pete Carroll Pete Carroll".

No, I'll just say that most of the NFL coaches that would be surefire great coaches in college would never, ever leave the NFL. So there really isn't any way of knowing whether your first 2 paragraphs are accurate or not - since the best NFL coaches never step down to take college gigs. 

I mean maybe Harbaugh is a decent example but he started in college so not really.

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin reiterated that Texas is looking for someone with head coaching experience (and not at the G5 level).  So how many NFL HC/OC/DC have college head coaching experience?

Looking "for" and looking "at" are two different things. We usually see what we are looking at. We don't always find what we are looking for.

Wild guess, I'd say Brent Venables.

Clemson’s Brent Venables realizes ‘time is approaching’ for head coaching job

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/clemsons-brent-venables-realizes-time-is-approaching-for-head-job-220644868.html

Edited by Randolph Duke

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

There were rumors a few years ago that he was kicking the tires on a college job here and there. Would be shocked if he were really interested regardless.

His name came across my mind, too. His contract runs through 2022 so his buyout would be more in the ~$20M range. Say we could offer him $8M/yr - over 4 years that would almost make up the difference between what we've offered Urban and what Harbaugh's buyout would be.

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Looking "for" and looking "at" are two different things. We usually see what we are looking at. We don't always find what we are looking for.

Wild guess, I'd say Brent Venables.

Clemson’s Brent Venables realizes ‘time is approaching’ for head coaching job

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/clemsons-brent-venables-realizes-time-is-approaching-for-head-job-220644868.html

We're talking about NFL coaches but thanks for the input. 

FWIW, if you try to line up the last two days with what I heard Saturday, this would have been the evolution of events:

1. Urban was contacted about the job and expressed interest in it awhile back. (I can confirm)

2. There have been on-going discussions with Texas people. (I can confirm).

3. Urban wanted the job. (I can confirm)

4. It seemed that the administration was unified in going after Meyer. (I cannot confirm)

5. The terms of a deal were under discussion (I cannot confirm)

6. Urban changed his mind (I have been told this, but can't confirm if it's true or a negotiating tactic).

7. Supposedly the administration put together a big deal for him (it's not clear whether this was before or after he informed them he's staying retired for now).

Based upon the above, if there was truly a big package submitted and we are still hearing about other candidates and him not being lined up, that's not good. It would mean he's already told Texas no, OR Texas was never really serious about him (unlikely), OR that this has been locked down so tightly that it hasn't leaked to anyone and the 9.95'rs are spewing b.s. as usual.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I can’t fathom why coaches would rather live in Columbus, Ohio over Austin, Texas

Because they have a kickass situation and are very comfortable.  Plus, let's be honest is Austin the appeal you think it is?  Maybe it was but it has changed quite a bit over 20 yrs.  Probable get twice the house in Columbus. Weather does suck but our summers are a kick in the balls too. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

FWIW, if you try to line up the last two days with what I heard Saturday, this would have been the evolution of events:

1. Urban was contacted about the job and expressed interest in it awhile back. (I can confirm)

4. It seemed that the administration was unified in going after Meyer. (I cannot confirm)

6. Urban changed his mind (I have been told this, but can't confirm if it's true or a negotiating tactic).

7. Supposedly the administration put together a big deal for him (it's not clear whether this was before or after he informed them he's staying retired for now).

Based upon the above, if there was truly a big package submitted and we are still hearing about other candidates and him not being lined up, that's not good. It would mean he's already told Texas no, OR Texas was never really serious about him (unlikely), OR that this has been locked down so tightly that it hasn't leaked to anyone and the 9.95'rs are spewing b.s. as usual.

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I haven't really heard about other candidates but even if so, Urban does need to know we have options.  Not as good as Urban, but options nonetheless.  12 milis 3 mil per year than what Dabo makes.  You don't think Dabo listens?

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We're talking about NFL coaches but thanks for the input. 

Call me when you find him.

No way a winning NFL coach leaves to take over UT football. No way CDC hires a losing NFL coach to "reinvigorate" the UT program. Recently fired coaches don't usually come with a lot of sizzle. CDC knows a third failed hire would be problematic.

My guess - Venables.

Since becoming Clemson’s defensive coordinator in 2012, there’s been plenty of interest in Venables as a head coaching candidate. But he’s often been hesitant to reciprocate interest, as the interviews have often conflicted with Clemson’s ACC title runs and preparation for the College Football Playoff.

But there’s been a shift in Venables’ perspective, according to a person familiar with his thinking. Now more than ever, Venables is open to listen to any top-30 caliber jobs.

That’s something that couldn’t always be said for his tenure at Clemson. Venables had long been focused on taking care of the job in front of him, which included turning down multiple chances to interview for head jobs if it interfered with Clemson’s schedule. That included Venables turning down the chance to speak with Florida State last season, as it would have conflicted with Clemson’s ACC run. He also turned down job offers over the years at schools where he didn’t think he could win big enough.

Edited by Randolph Duke

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

Rod B reiterated on his show yesterday that Shanahan would be unlikely because a.) he feels like he has unfinished business in the NFL after being close to winning SBs with the Falcons as OC and the 49ers last year, and b.) he'd absolutely hate having to deal with recruiting and all that comes with that. Could all just be a smokescreen but that seems to align with what others have said.

2 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Because they have a kickass situation and are very comfortable.  Plus, let's be honest is Austin the appeal you think it is?  Maybe it was but it has changed quite a bit over 20 yrs. 

Columbus is much cheaper.  And the things that hipsters find appealing about Austin, coaching types may not .

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Harbaugh never was a head coach or coordinator in college though right? Wouldn't he not fit the criteria?

He was a college coach for 13 years. Mostly ST coordinator and position coaching. He definitely had a exponential career arc after that.

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

His name came across my mind, too. His contract runs through 2022 so his buyout would be more in the ~$20M range. Say we could offer him $8M/yr - over 4 years that would almost make up the difference between what we've offered Urban and what Harbaugh's buyout would be.

Harbaugh currently makes 9 million per year. I don't know that it'd be worth it to take the extra recruiting responsibilities AND less money to coach in college.

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This board freaks out over the most random stuff. Nothing IT has reported is much different from what was reported few days ago. 

This. Everyone has been saying that it'll take some time and nothing has changed on that front. The only worrying thing I've seen is @closetojumping post about a buddy being despondent, assuming that buddy knows something which wasn't specified

News of other candidates a) makes sense bc Urban isn't locked up so of course you have to think about that b) would be a typical leverage/negotiating move

58 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

If RapGameLarry is to be believed, I DMed him (Because im a shmuck) and he said he expected everything to come down after the KSU Game, but that things picked up and theres alot of smoke to Herman being out today, hence his tweet. He said regardless of it happening today, it is happening.

Thanks, you schmuck! 

4 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

Rod B reiterated on his show yesterday that Shanahan would be unlikely because a.) he feels like he has unfinished business in the NFL after being close to winning SBs with the Falcons as OC and the 49ers last year, and b.) he'd absolutely hate having to deal with recruiting and all that comes with that. Could all just be a smokescreen but that seems to align with what others have said.

We're chasing the wrong Shanahan.

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It would mean he's already told Texas no, OR Texas was never really serious about him (unlikely), OR that this has been locked down so tightly that it hasn't leaked to anyone and the 9.95'rs are spewing b.s. as usual.

Sites are all trying to one up each other with "inside" info.  I think they more or less are getting the info from the same person/group.  I choose to take a leap of faith with RGL and the SCe mod who broke the news on a 247 thread that was later deleted.

The fact that these UT sites are throwing shit out there, hoping it sticks, reaffirms my thinking that UM is coming.  WIth past Admin/AD.. there would be leaks everywhere.  Not a single BMD has gotten drunk and said a word either.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic