Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

For those giving any weight to RapGameLarry's predictions, a few weeks ago didn't he throw out an elaborate timeline for the transition that involved Drayton being named as interim for a period in time before Urban was announced?

Perhaps that timeline was predicated on Herman winning some games he was expected to lose, but, if not, seems to run contrary to his current narrative. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I can Cliff's Notes it for you-- I think Harbaugh represents the struggles any NFL coach would have in college; ztejas thinks because Harbaugh had success at Stanford, he doesn't really count. Just idle discussion, there's no way to prove either position.

And I'm still confused. I figured the "Harbaugh" that's being talked about is John Harbaugh, HC of the Ravens. He's been in the NFL so long, I'd have to look up his collegiate resume. Pretty sure this Harbaugh's name was floated back in 2013 too.

Jim (Jim!) Harbaugh has been extremely average at Michigan after a strong run at Stanford led to his gig with the Niners, which was very successful and included the Super Bowl loss (against John, BTW). Prior to Stanford he made San Jose State (or San Diego State) respectable.

Don't mind me. I'm gonna go make a leftover Thanksgiving turkey (or BLT) sandwich with a shit-load of Duke's mayo on it.

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The holdup is likely Pantoni and Marrotti. And as much as we might not like it, there's a good chance that A) Urban doesn't want to take on the health risks without the guys that have been with him his entire career and B) they don't want to leave a good job at Ohio State given all the risks at Texas (having to rebuild, Urban could leave early, etc.). And it's not like Ohio State couldn't match a big money offer. 

I don’t think Drayton or any of the DL coaches are retained as well as Valai. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus fucking christ you fucking downgrades, get control of ourselves. 

Anyone talking about leveraging more money for assistants, the existing discussed salary pool for assistants was what, 8 million? 10? You really think they don't already have the money for assistants they'd ever need if that were true? The holdup may be assistants not wanting  to leave, but it isn't because of money. 

If those assistants won't follow him to beautiful atx with a pay bump at a blue blood with the best recruiting available, where the fuck would they follow him to?  The whole assistant thing is BS in my opinion.  He's been a coach for 2 decades with some very successful coaches under him.  Finding guys won't be a hold up.  If he says no, it'll be simply because he doesn't want to coach at Texas or at all.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

If those assistants won't follow him to beautiful atx with a pay bump at a blue blood with the best recruiting available, where the fuck would they follow him to?  The whole assistant thing is BS in my opinion.  He's been a coach for 2 decades with some very successful coaches under him.  Finding guys won't be a hold up.  If he says no, it'll be simply because he doesn't want to coach at Texas or at all.  

He’s taken those guys everywhere he has gone. They’re very critical to the infrastructure of his program. 

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

My sarcasm may not have been conveyed well by my winking emoji and reference to the Surly Beechcraft Air Force apparently. 

Everything in this thread is serious!   No fucking sarcasm allowed

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Nah, we'll go back to Urban the sure thing in no time.  Don't give us any props yet.

9.95ers at work. no one knows shit but at least its entertaining which the football hasn't been for 10 years.  This is the fun part and then we get let down when we hire Brent Venables hoping he is Bob Stoops.  

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's nothing different from what IT has reported. They were saying if Urban didn't work out that Brian Kelly would be the 2nd option. 

All they're saying is Texas is doing their due diligence in case Urban isn't hired. They've been saying that for weeks. 

Uhm, and then Meyer goes to ND?  LOL.  Fuck that

3 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

For those giving any weight to RapGameLarry's predictions, a few weeks ago didn't he throw out an elaborate timeline for the transition that involved Drayton being named as interim for a period in time before Urban was announced?

Perhaps that timeline was predicated on Herman winning some games he was expected to lose, but, if not, seems to run contrary to his current narrative. 

I think he was expecting us to lose to okie lite. Beleive he had a tweet saying that to hedge on his initial claim about Drayton being interim.

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Perhaps that timeline was predicated on Urban winning some games he was expected to lose, but, if not, seems to run contrary to his current narrative. 

Has Urban been coaching some underground street football league that we aren't aware of, sir?

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Ohio State likely matches anything. They have a guaranteed long term gig in Ohio at this point if Day keeps winning. I believe the point is, that with Urban's question marks, they aren't following him or ANYONE anywhere. While if he says no it might be he doesn't want to coach, but maybe health and stress are an issue and he wants to lean on guys he knows well. It's not a certainty but lets not pretend it's the most outlandish thing to suggest, or even unlikely.

If Yancy, Chang, and Carrington told Herman to pound sand he's spend 20 hours a day crying instead of his usual 15. 

• Haha 1

Ohio State can and will match any offer that Texas makes to Pantoni and Marotti so money isn't going to resolve that issue for Urban.  

I would be shocked if Marotti would agree to a move to Texas.  He has deep Ohio and Ohio State roots and no connection to Texas.  Austin offers him nothing.  Loyalty to Urban is the only thing that would bring him to Texas.

Pantoni might be convinced.  He is young and a Florida guy and could pick any job he wants regardless of how the Texas experience goes.  I don't think Urban would take the Texas job without him so he basically holds a veto and will be under huge pressure to remain at Ohio State.

Bottom line, Urban would be desperate to take both to Texas but may be able to live without Marotti.

i am going to underwrite a team of sociologists and anthropologists to do a full blown study of this thread, the shaggy fall 2016 thread, the shaggy fall 2013 thread, and the hornfans/warzone/hookem threads of 1997.  there absolutely HAS to be some sort of fascinating evolutionary behavioral science outcome lurking in these that will be critical to the propagation and survival of the species in the long-term.

all the way from "i'm stunned, i'm pissed," through #flighttrackerszn or 2013/2016, on through to our willingness to completely sell our soul for a disgusting human being to finally turn this shitshow around after a decade wandering through the desert while rewarding him and enriching him beyond belief for his behavior (which to be clear, i have been totally on board with since the 2019 tcu game) and the emotional volatility with which hundreds of people can be affected by an anonymous poster that no one has any basis to believe is privy to any actual information (via buddy or directly) - all the way to the 9.95 grifters who know fuck all about anything (along with having the intelligence of a fucking box of rocks) try to "carefully" craft a narrative that threads the needle of caveating and covering their own asses and credibility while trying to scoop shit that know nothing about...you simply cannot find a greater apex for human social science observation.

either way, there simply are no other obvious coaching options out there, folks.  there are apparently three people in the world who know how to coach college football (and are willing to do so - removing someone like carroll) based on the last fifteen years of results, saban, dabo, and urban.  everything else is pure luck or a coalescence of timing/lighting in a bottle (e.g. lsu 2019).  this is likely because football coaches are self-segregating neanderthals who are too fucking stupid to breathe sometimes.  unfortunately, if we miss on meyer, more of the same.  the next guy simply hasn't revealed himself yet as much as we would like for them to have.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

IIRC Herman was going to be fired after Okie Lite - then they shit the bed with four turnovers and some horrific special teams play. That bought Herman the rest of the season. 

EARLY-TO-MID DECEMBER

texas.60.png?resize=60%2C60&ssl=1Speaking of truths one already knew, a win over Kansas State doesn’t mask the reality that the loss to Iowa State truly was Black Friday for Tom Herman. When the Big 12 announces on Sunday, Dec. 6 that the Dec. 12 Texas-Kansas game will not be played as a mercy to all involved, Texas announces Herman will not be retained.

https://footballscoop.com/news/footballscoops-nuclear-winter-vi/nuclear smoke stack GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

After over 7,200 posts on the subject, plus talking to people "in the know" and compiling all of the data, I'm going with...

• Herman fired and announced by the end of the day on Saturday 12/5
  • Urban hired and announced by the end of the day on Sunday 12/6

Book it, bank it, mark it down, whatever.

Cool, cool. Same thing Mr. Orange said way back. Personally, I think this is on the money, but who tf knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Started in Madisonville as Dairy Palace but had to change the name because someone else had it, then changed to Texas Burger for years, now TX Burger for whatever reason. I don't know how many there are now, I think several have opened and closed over the years. Carter's Burger in Bryan are the same people.

You may be referring to the world famous Dairy Palace in Canton, TX.

• Hook 'Em 2

Dear Penthouse letters are now replaced by college coaching hire threads. Some of this hit may have some validity, other shit is pure fiction. But doesn't matter, I CAN"T leave this thread. The question is, will we have a gigantic erections which lasts for all of 2021-2027 or will we be blue balled until the next thread pops up when a new target is revealed?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The holdup is likely Pantoni and Marrotti. And as much as we might not like it, there's a good chance that A) Urban doesn't want to take on the health risks without the guys that have been with him his entire career and B) they don't want to leave a good job at Ohio State given all the risks at Texas (having to rebuild, Urban could leave early, etc.). And it's not like Ohio State couldn't match a big money offer. 

Sadly, this makes a lot of sense. The banal reasons why dreams die. 

1 minute ago, ballrific said:

welp, apparently showing Mrs Meyer homes in River Place over Westlake didn't impress her, knowing how much farther that ohio dollar can go staying put.  We're officially furked

Considering his health background, they should have taken up residence in the medical school

• Hook 'Em 1

Did anyone post this? I figured he read Surly

Yeah, it was posted above. My IRL brother (also on surly) texted me too early this a.m. to announce that the man and the myth, Rap Game Larry, had tweeted my post. The feeling of affirmation was hard to contain.
  • Haha 2

Sooners moving away from pants pissing into pants shitting territory:

As someone that believes in the karmic nature of the universe and the power of a collective human consciousness I will continue to take tweets like this as a good sign.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sooners moving away from pants pissing into pants shitting territory:

As someone that believes in the karmic nature of the universe and the power of a collective human consciousness I will continue to take tweets like this as a good sign.

Eddie Radosevich seems like he sucks.

12 hours ago, ousux said:
18 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:
I'm sadly holding on to the hope that the guy who claimed to break the Joe Rogan move is right on this one. 

Pfft..Rogan was hinting at blowing out of commiefornia months before Gavin Newsom and the Mayor of LA finally pushed him over the edge

My wife listens to him and he's a good listen. Kind of complains a bit too much, but I'm actually happy he's bringing Austin a bigger spotlight than it already has. 

2 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Has there been any news in the last 50 pages or is it all talk about burgers, thirsty dudes hitting on Surly's daydrunk wine mom, and middle aged men trying to sound cool by using the word "glizzy"? 

Nope, I think that pretty much sums it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Eddie Radosevich seems like he sucks.

Do you realize how fucking stupid you have to be as a Serbian-Pole living in Oklahoma?

that’s like being a special needs student living in College Station

oh wait   

22 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And I'm still confused. I figured the "Harbaugh" that's being talked about is John Harbaugh, HC of the Ravens. He's been in the NFL so long, I'd have to look up his collegiate resume. Pretty sure this Harbaugh's name was floated back in 2013 too.

Jim (Jim!) Harbaugh has been extremely average at Michigan after a strong run at Stanford led to his gig with the Niners, which was very successful and included the Super Bowl loss (against John, BTW). Prior to Stanford he made San Jose State (or San Diego State) respectable.

Don't mind me. I'm gonna go make a leftover Thanksgiving turkey (or BLT) sandwich with a shit-load of Duke's mayo on it.

Johns record at Stanford is very similar to his record at Michigan. Win games lose to rival in conference

Edited by Michael Knight

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic