Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Very strange that CDC has not tweeted anything related to the okie light game. No congratulations, no announcement of support for the staff -- nothing. And nothing from the CUM camp either, which is good. I will never root against the Horns, but I do like moonshine. 

6 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Very strange that CDC has not tweeted anything related to the okie light game. No congratulations, no announcement of support for the staff -- nothing. And nothing from the CUM camp either, which is good. I will never root against the Horns, but I do like moonshine. 

Who is Urban's "camp?"

30 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Fuck if I know. If he had zero interest, I think we would have heard by now. I doubt it would be from him directly, but from someone close to him.

So people you can't identify aren't coming out and publicly expressing Urban's disinterest in a job which isn't currently available, and you're taking that as a good sign?

Makes sense. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So people you can't identify aren't coming out and publicly expressing Urban's disinterest in a job which isn't currently available, and you're taking that as a good sign?

Makes sense. 

If Urban wasn't at least entertaining the idea, I assume we would have heard something by now. 

23 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

If Urban wasn't at least entertaining the idea, I assume we would have heard something by now. 

You assume wrong. The season isn't over and the job's not even open. Even if he is interested in getting back into coaching, the probability of which we can't ascertain until time goes by and he either does or doesn't go back into coaching, he would NEVER comment on a potential job THAT ISN'T EVEN OPEN YET! No sane person would. 

I think it was during the Texas-OU broadcast when the subject of Urban getting back into coaching came up. I think it was Gus Johnson who said he thought Urban was content to work on his 5-iron, or something like that. I don't golf so I may not have that exactly right. But Gus calls the game following Fox Big Noon Saturday every week. Could Gus be in Urban's "camp?"

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You assume wrong. The season isn't over and the job's not even open. Even if he is interested in getting back into coaching, the probability of which we can't ascertain until time goes by and he either does or doesn't go back into coaching, he would NEVER comment on a potential job THAT ISN'T EVEN OPEN YET! No sane person would. 

I think it was during the Texas-OU broadcast when the subject of Urban getting back into coaching came up. I think it was Gus Johnson who said he thought Urban was content to work on his 5-iron, or something like that. I don't golf so I may not have that exactly right. But Gus calls the game following Fox Big Noon Saturday every week. Could Gus be in Urban's "camp?"

He actively went after the Cowboys job last year. 

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

That's per Gerry Hamilton. I'm going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb and say he's got much better sources than you do.

I don't know who Gerry Hamilton is. Is there a chance that he covers the Cowboys? Is there a chance that you're a big Cowboys fan? Hey, if you have evidence, post it. 

I've seen Urban asked numerous times if he has any interest in coaching in the NFL and he's always said no. I can't post any supporting links because that comes from, what?, 15-20 years of following his career? Right. You're so much more tuned in than I am. The media in Urban's home fucking town don't have their finger on the pulse of Urban's machinations like you and whatshisname do. 

Here's a question for you -- if Urban was actively seeking the Cowboys job then why doesn't he have the job? That seems to be a big plot hole in your story. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't know who Gerry Hamilton is. Is there a chance that he covers the Cowboys? Is there a chance that you're a big Cowboys fan? Hey, if you have evidence, post it. 

I've seen Urban asked numerous times if he has any interest in coaching in the NFL and he's always said no. I can't post any supporting links because that comes from, what?, 15-20 years of following his career? Right. You're so much more tuned in than I am. The media in Urban's home fucking town don't have their finger on the pulse of Urban's machinations like you and whatshisname do. 

Here's a question for you -- if Urban was actively seeking the Cowboys job then why doesn't he have the job? That seems to be a big plot hole in your story. 

He's one of ESPN's main recruiting guys. He has a ton of connections to college coaches. Also...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-would-absolutely-be-open-to-taking-dallas-cowboys-coaching-job-if-an-offer-came-his-way/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dallas didn't want him.  They wanted who they have now.  (foolishly)  

On 10/29/2020 at 9:54 AM, Randolph Duke said:

I'm not the one claiming to have inside information. I'm the one claiming to understand the politics of the situation enough to understand why it isn't going to happen.

Urban Meyer is a brutally damaged person with horrible ethics. One could call him "human scum." He's a sociopath.

Hiring such a polarizing personality as the face of the school's football program would be epic. And not in a positive way.

tenor.gif?itemid=4602298

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The thought of all these ags, sooners, bucknuts and perhaps tufts grads coming to this board is kind of funny. It is almost like they want us to keep a semi-functional retard as our head coach. Fucking dipshits.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/29/2020 at 9:19 AM, RVC2005 said:

Posting from a new handle since i dont want to out myself.  I am fairly connected to some big guys at the top, and there is real smoke to the Urban Meyer thought, and there has been contact, but not by CDC.  It is going to be a lot of money, but he will be wearing burnt orange.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, RVC2005 said:

Main concern is the pushback from the admin due to UM history at UF and tOSU, so that will take some talking.  Just know, any talk you hear about large buyouts, and not being able to afford it is bogus.  We can afford anything, only limited by what they are willing to cut the check for.  And guys, im talking massive contract.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, RVC2005 said:

not even close.  i know what i know because of who i know. take it or leave it

On 10/29/2020 at 9:50 AM, RVC2005 said:

has nothing to do with losing ewers, and everything to do with WHY we lost him.  The program spiral started over the summer, but was not mentioned by many.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, RVC2005 said:

You are underestimating how important winning football games is to the people with 9 figures+

On 11/1/2020 at 1:00 AM, RVC2005 said:

One stipulation is a damn near unlimited budget for assistants. Most likely no one from the current staff will be retained (this is for actual coaches). I’m telling you guys, this is a “hand the keys over, and watch from over there” type of deal. Also, the win tonight does damn near nothing to the plan. Herman is still in hot water. 

So let me get this straight...

Some big cigars want Urban Meyer...it would be expensive...some are concerned about UM's character...UT can afford it but might not want to pay it...it would take a massive contract...we lost Ewers because the program is a shit show...big cigars want to win football games and are willing to spend money on it...Urban would want control and money for assistants...Herman still sucks.

No shit?  Wow dude, that's some real fucking inside intel right there.  Where can I send my $9.95?

tenor.gif?itemid=5636523

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Juicy said:

I feel like Uncle Urb is a vengeful fuck. Sticking it to O$U for making him sit out 3 games by going to Michigan would be amazing. For me at least.

#fanfic

He is a vengeful fuck. But I don’t know if he’s the kind that’s interested in tearing down something he built. 

Now, tearing down an uppity asshole who helped topple him from OSU while parlaying his success under Urban into the HC at UT? By taking over said asshole’s program and demonstrating who was swinging the big stick at OSU? Yeah, I can see him doing that. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Hook 'Em 3

If you guys want to ignore what happened at Florida with Urban and are all about winning, then no name should be off the table. Go ahead and send a jet for Briles. 

My first choice would be B Harsin. When he gets pummeled by BYU this weekend, I think he will be ready to come back to the 40 Acres.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

So let me get this straight...

Some big cigars want Urban Meyer...it would be expensive...some are concerned about UM's character...UT can afford it but might not want to pay it...it would take a massive contract...we lost Ewers because the program is a shit show...big cigars want to win football games and are willing to spend money on it...Urban would want control and money for assistants...Herman still sucks.

No shit?  Wow dude, that's some real fucking inside intel right there.  Where can I send my $9.95?

tenor.gif?itemid=5636523

Remember when you and the rest of the early 20s recruitniks ridiculed CTJ when he showed up offering you actual info? That was fun to watch.

If you guys want to ignore what happened at Florida with Urban and are all about winning, then no name should be off the table. Go ahead and send a jet for Briles. 

My first choice would be B Harsin. When he gets pummeled by BYU this weekend, I think he will be ready to come back to the 40 Acres.
Your comparison is mindnumbingly dumb, but ignoring that for a moment...

Are you saying if we're throwing ethics out the window we should pursue Briles over Meyer? How does that work? Even if the horrible comparison you were trying to make was accurate, wouldn't the better answer still be to hire Meyer?

If so...what's your point?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Your comparison is mindnumbingly dumb, but ignoring that for a moment...

Are you saying if we're throwing ethics out the window we should pursue Briles over Meyer? How does that work? Even if the horrible comparison you were trying to make was accurate, wouldn't the better answer still be to hire Meyer?

If so...what's your point?

Obviously we’re hiring Paternos hologram. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Remember when you and the rest of the early 20s recruitniks ridiculed CTJ when he showed up offering you actual info? That was fun to watch.

Before y'all start a pissing match - I think Lando is making the point that it probably doesn't require a sock account to put out some info tidbits that we've heard from multuple sources at this point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah Urban isn’t done coaching. Look at Ole’ Bag of Dicks when stoops retired that motherfucker dropped off the face of the earth and largely hasn’t been hear from since that’s someone who is done with game of football and is enjoying retirement  smoking meth on a the shores of frack water lake in in Oklahoma. Urban is still very much a man with the fire to coach and win left in him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Before y'all start a pissing match - I think Lando is making the point that it probably doesn't require a sock account to put out some info tidbits that we've heard from multuple sources at this point.

No doubt. It just reminded me of a really entertaining saga on the old board.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Yeah Urban isn’t done coaching. Look at Ole’ Bag of Dicks when stoops retired that motherfucker dropped off the face of the earth and largely hasn’t been hear from since that’s someone who is done with game of football and is enjoying retirement  smoking meth on a the shores of frack water lake in in Oklahoma. Urban is still very much a man with the fire to coach and win left in him.

https://xflboard.com/news/dallas-renegades-head-coach-bob-stoops-turned-60-will-he-return-to-the-xfl/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I have no fucking clue what you’re talking about.  And given that I almost never follow recruiting, I’m guessing you have the wrong guy?  Or you’re talking about something else?

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that was my point.  Anyone could claim any of that to be “inside info” and not be wrong and still not have any inside info

• Hook 'Em 1

Also posted in Fire Tom Herman thread...TFB Super K

TFB-Super K

This past weekend, I had a chance to chat with a couple of additional sources on the matter of Texas and Urban Meyer. These conversations did take place before the OSU game.

***Received more confirmation that there has been some time of back channel communication with Meyer.

***Received additional confirmation that Meyer’s number is in the 10 million dollar range.

***Was also told that while not necessary specific to Texas, Meyer has been reaching out to some former assistants to gauge their interest in joining him if he did take another job.

***One source told me that  Kerry Coombs, known for his DB development, would not likely join Urban. I personally think that’s a pretty big blow.

***I asked the source how likely it would be that Urban would take the Texas job, if offered. Was told, “I know he’s considering it but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. Money talks though, of course”.

***Did get the sense that a lot of the old guys Urban coached with were not likely to join him.

***On the Herman front, I do believe that one more loss would be difficult to come back from. The question is, what would he need to  accomplish to ensure his safety. Is it getting to the Big 12 championship? Or must he win it? I don’t know the answer to that question yet.

***My suspicion though is that it has a lot to do with whether Urban is really on the table – and I believe he is.

***I am told there was some back channel talks with Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck’s people. But neither of those names or resumes are, in my opinion, enough to trigger a move if Herman closes the season out well. I don’t personally want either hire, regardless.

***But with a name like Urban Meyer sitting out there, it’s different. The immediate impact he’d have on recruiting would be unreal.

• Hook 'Em 3

Whoa. My eyes...

Thanks RGB.Here ya go (plain text version):

TFB-Super K

This past weekend, I had a chance to chat with a couple of additional sources on the matter of Texas and Urban Meyer. These conversations did take place before the OSU game.

***Received more confirmation that there has been some time of back channel communication with Meyer.

***Received additional confirmation that Meyer’s number is in the 10 million dollar range.

***Was also told that while not necessary specific to Texas, Meyer has been reaching out to some former assistants to gauge their interest in joining him if he did take another job.

***One source told me that  Kerry Coombs, known for his DB development, would not likely join Urban. I personally think that’s a pretty big blow.

***I asked the source how likely it would be that Urban would take the Texas job, if offered. Was told, “I know he’s considering it but don’t think it’s a slam dunk. Money talks though, of course”.

***Did get the sense that a lot of the old guys Urban coached with were not likely to join him.

***On the Herman front, I do believe that one more loss would be difficult to come back from. The question is, what would he need to  accomplish to ensure his safety. Is it getting to the Big 12 championship? Or must he win it? I don’t know the answer to that question yet.

***My suspicion though is that it has a lot to do with whether Urban is really on the table – and I believe he is.

***I am told there was some back channel talks with Mario Cristobal and PJ Fleck’s people. But neither of those names or resumes are, in my opinion, enough to trigger a move if Herman closes the season out well. I don’t personally want either hire, regardless.

***But with a name like Urban Meyer sitting out there, it’s different. The immediate impact he’d have on recruiting would be unreal.

Edited by wood

TFB-Super K

6 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

He's one of ESPN's main recruiting guys. He has a ton of connections to college coaches. Also...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban-meyer-would-absolutely-be-open-to-taking-dallas-cowboys-coaching-job-if-an-offer-came-his-way/

Lulz. That's extremely weak. In an interview with Colin Cowherd (of all people), Urban was asked a hypothetical question about Lincoln Riley taking the Cowboys job, which wasn't available at the time (I'm sensing a pattern here), and he says he doesn't know Riley and can't speak for him but acknowledges that the Cowboys brand is one of the tops in the league. So, when Colin goes further and asks another hypothetical question that, if the Cowboys called, would you listen, and he says he would, you take that to mean he openly expressed interest in the Cowboys job? Which wasn't open? What else was he going to say when asked a ridiculous hypothetical question by a shallow plastic moron on a nationally broadcast interview? "Fuck the Cowboys?" It was a stupid question that got an easy, uncontroversial answer. 

From everything I've ever seen, I'm very confident in saying Urban's not interested in coaching in the NFL. But if you think he is then why would he be interested in the Texas job?

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz. That's extremely weak. In an interview with Colin Cowherd (of all people), Urban was asked a hypothetical question about Lincoln Riley taking the Cowboys job, which wasn't available at the time (I'm sensing a pattern here), and he says he doesn't know Riley and can't speak for him but acknowledges that the Cowboys brand is one of the tops in the league. So, when Colin goes further and asks another hypothetical question that, if the Cowboys called, would you listen, and he says he would, you take that to mean he openly expressed interest in the Cowboys job? Which wasn't open? What else was he going to say when asked a ridiculous hypothetical question by a shallow plastic moron on a nationally broadcast interview? "Fuck the Cowboys?" It was a stupid question that got an easy, uncontroversial answer. 

From everything I've ever seen, I'm very confident in saying Urban's not interested in coaching in the NFL. But if you think he is then why would he be interested in the Texas job?

He could have answered it how most coaches answer a question like that - 'that job is not open'.  Or, alternatively, 'the Cowboys already have a head coach'.  There are 100 different ways he could have answered besides saying 'I'll listen if they call'.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You've got him all wrong.

He has clearly and explicitly stated that he does not care about Meyer and whether he comes to UT.

He doesn't care so much, that he keeps coming back to this thread and assuring us that Meyer won't come here.

He's obviously doing that, on a nearly daily basis, just to prove to us how much he doesn't care about Meyer and whether he'll come here. We just can't seem to keep up.

You have a desired outcome. I don't. I mean, I guess I'd like to see him stay on Fox Sports because I really enjoy his analysis and explanation of football X's & O's. But I'll continue to follow his career with interest if he goes back into coaching wherever it is, whether it's Texas, USC, Notre Dame (that I wouldn't like to see but I'd understand), the Cowboys or any other team. I'll bet I've been following his career with interest since long before most of you ever heard his name. 

You desperately want him to coach at Texas and are trying to convince yourself (yourselves?) that, not only is the job opening already certain, he's already in the bag. When I respond to silly statements like Schulz's, you get defensive because you don't want to hear anything other than that you're Texas and of course you're going to get Urban. Just like you were going to get Saban. 

We don't know if he wants to get back into coaching. To find out if he does, two things need to happen. First, a job has to come open and be offered to him. Second, he has to take it. We haven't even gotten to step 1 yet. If I had to bet on it, I'd bet that he likes what he's doing at Fox Sports and wants to continue building what they started with him as the big name on their Big Noon Saturday show to compete with College GameDay. But I don't know. I could be wrong. I do know that any rational person in his position wouldn't make any decision until after the season is over and he could weigh all his options. It's a seller's market and, if he does want to get back into coaching, he has all the leverage. It's not like Texas or anyone else will pressure him into taking the job right now before they give it to someone else. If you say, "Take it or leave it!" then, as he's walking out the door after saying, "I'll leave it," you'll say, "Wait, wait, wait, let's not be hasty here!"

• Fuck You 4

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic