Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

I think news is going to break tonight. May not be UM news, but may be TH news. 

Tom did the smart thing by using the only leverage he had to force CDC to make a move. Fire me now or don't, but if you don't, you're hurting the program and recruiting by leaving us in the lurch and you look like a prick. I think CDC answers the raise and calls by firing him before the press conference tomorrow, regardless of where they stand with UM.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, THUJONE said:

I think news is going to break tonight. May not be UM news, but may be TH news. 

Tom did the smart thing by using the only leverage he had to force CDC to make a move. Fire me now or don't, but if you don't, you're hurting the program and recruiting by leaving us in the lurch and you look like a prick. I think CDC answers the raise and calls by firing him before the press conference tomorrow, regardless of where they stand with UM.

I hope CDC channeled his inner "Curly Bill" and said "Well, Bye"

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, RMac5 said:

I bet CDC is all business in situations like this.

Yeah I don't buy the "call my bluff" chest puffing. CDC is a pro. He doesn't answer to Tom. Tom can fuck off and throw whatever tantrum he wants. If he throws a big enough tantrum he will be fired for cause. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Yeah I don't buy the "call my bluff" chest puffing. CDC is a pro. He doesn't answer to Tom. Tom can fuck off and throw whatever tantrum he wants. If he throws a big enough tantrum he will be fired for cause. 

Except that now any delay is on CDC and recruits, parents, etc. will be looking to him to give clarity. It wasn't a big move by Tom, but it was all he had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is what I'm thinking. CDC has no reason to comply with Tom's demands. Tom can't quit; he'd lose his buyout. So Tom is the coach until CDC is ready to fire him. In the meantime, CDC doesn't need to meet with Tom, answer his phone calls, or get drawn into drama. Tom can do his job until CDC has a replacement ready.
  • Hook 'Em 5

CDC doesn't answer to recruits or parents either that's what the main point is. He's a businessman. He will do what's best for the business and he's been playing the long game for far longer than any of us know at this point. If Herman gets unprofessional or badmouths the program to parents or recruits he can kiss his buyout goodbye. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:
5 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is what I'm thinking. CDC has no reason to comply with Tom's demands. Tom can't quit; he'd lose his buyout. So Tom is the coach until CDC is ready to fire him. In the meantime, CDC doesn't need to meet with Tom, answer his phone calls, or get drawn into drama. Tom can do his job until CDC has a replacement ready.

This is my thought too. Mensa getting let go will happen exactly as CDC wants it to happen.

So, where do things stand?

“* It is believed that Meyer and Texas have been holding off on officially playing footsy with each other for the last two months until the Herman matter played itself out. Now that it has, real conversations can take place. They likely have already started. Nothing is standing in the way at this point, with all due respect to the still employed Herman. If Meyer was to take the job, Del Conte and Co. would almost certainly follow his direction from an announcement standpoint.

* 100 million X 10 years. That's the number I've heard mentioned to me this weekend with regards to a contract Meyer would desire. Is that crazy? Well, if Jimbo Fisher can get $75 million over the same time period, a superior coach with the most leverage any coach has ever had can probably get 100. Also, that might be 100 million, plus bonuses. Meyer ain't coming here on a lay-away plan.

* Meyer hasn't decided if he's coming back into coaching and this is not viewed as some simple thing that can be overlooked. The thing that Texas wants to be able to accomplish very soon is putting a real decision in his hands that he'd make with his family. It's hard to say how his wife and family would feel about a 10-year commitment to another job in coaching when as recently as two weeks ago, there was a very clear "on the record" opinion on the matter.
1606678093776.png

I'm not sure it gets more complicated than that. Texas wants Urban. Texas won't get Urban without a record-breaking contract. Urban then needs to make a life decision with his family.

Del Conte doing his part would mean us hearing in the next few days to a week that Meyer has an emphatic financial commitment in front him to talk about. Beyond promising him the moon in terms of staffing and future facilities, that's about as far as Texas can go. Ultimately, this will come down to what Meyer will or won't do if Texas paints a picture for him that truly proves tempting.

Handicapping what Meyer will do is pretty much impossible. Behind the scenes, few people are openly talking about the possibility and no one seems to possess any overconfidence.

This is where we are ... a moment of uncertainty while we wait.

My guess is that one way or another, we won't be waiting much longer.“

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

I was told our BMD's have a lot of money tied in oil, and the oil market isn't so hot right now. If we can come up with $12mil/yr contract its gotta be from alumni that hit it big in tech

From what I understand, Dallas and Houston have aligned so we are cash rich since they probably represent the trillions not in the stock market currently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic