Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

34 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

It’s embarrassing too. Like why even say that?! An AD should not be calling recruits. It’s ridiculous

34 minutes ago, wood said:

You don't really believe that shit, do you?

35 minutes ago, WBT said:

he's not

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Pretty sure Herman said today that "the offer still stands". I don't think he's actually calling recruits. 

"Son, if Coach Herman's liver fails and he's fighting for his life in the hospital, I would have Urban Meyer in my office the next morning. So take that as a guarantee that Texas will get you the best coach money can buy."

-CDC probably

The Saban deal was "more put together" because Saban had agreed to come verbally. I wouldn't read into shit about how worse off the Meyer deal is to being completed, comparatively, because the one thing missing is sort of a pretty big fucking thing, agreeing to coach at Texas. Getting your panties in a twist about that is fucking stupid. Like, sending your teenage daughter to Baylor stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I agree with this but think you meant it as a joke.

The 4th Dimension is time...  CDC is playing this out on a timeline that makes sense.  

Think of the pre-requisites to getting this done starting a the time a new coach is announced and going backwards.  Some could be parallel tracks but not all

0. New corch announced, 1. Contract is signed 1a. Old coach fired 2. New corch accepts, 3. Negotiations for corch and key staff complete, 4. Key staff accept, 5. Coach agrees in principle ...

If we aren't far enough down the path nothing will be made officially public.  All we will hear are rumors until we get to step 0 above.

Este. If it's happening, it's happening whether we hear about it officially today or in 10 days.

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The Saban deal was "more put together" because Saban had agreed to come verbally. I wouldn't read into shit about how worse off the Meyer deal is to being completed, comparatively, because the one thing missing is sort of a pretty big fucking thing, agreeing to coach at Texas. Getting your panties in a twist about that is fucking stupid. Like, sending your teenage daughter to Baylor stupid.

Absolutely agree. I didn't post his entire response, which included him saying the Saban possibility seemed unbelievable to the masses that he would make that move but this makes monumentally more sense and is therefore plausible. But as SC says, there's not an agreement from Urban yet, which we apparently had with Saban, and that's kind of the most important thing. Fortunately, it seems if we get the "I do" from Urban, it's smooth sailing from there. It obviously was not with Saban back in 2013.

Edited by C-Man

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, my second sentence literally was "Sure it might help." But your initial premise was that Herman porked that recruitment up, and my point is that the Brocks fucked that shit up as much, nay more, than Herman did...Blake Brockermeyer shouldn't be allowed on campus after his fucking repeated tantrums. 

I'm gunna blame it on Herman and continue to until someone comes up with something better than "Daddy threw fits!" 

We sit on this message board and talk every day about what a narcissistic asshole Tomothy Herman is, and how Herb Hand doesn't know how to coach and recruit offensive linemen, yet I'm supposed to believe it's all the ex-NFL offensive lineman who is to blame because his kids won't come play for these two bozos, and instead went running off to an NFL OL factory who knows what they're doing with developing the position.

Sure, sure, I'm well aware that daddy threw fits. We all are. Probably because little kinda-4* brother wasn't getting the attention daddy thought his baby should have... but you know what you do if you're the coach of the program that these kids' dad and grandfather played at, with one of them being the best OL prospect in the country? You kiss their fucking asses. The whole family's ass. You sit in the living room, or in this case whatever place you meet with these legacy parents at, and you kiss their asses. And when it's triple legacies you're recruiting, whose brother is already on your team, you kiss a little softer, maybe nibble on their ear a little bit.

Not getting them is inexcusable, I don't care how bad daddy bitched and moaned. You still had momma, but it wasn't enough to overcome Tom and Herb. It's a terrible look, and it matters when Lincoln and Jimbro get to tell other kids, "I mean look at 'em, their grandpa went there. Their daddy. THEIR BROTHER IS ON THE TEAM! They still don't wanna go play there har har har."

It's 100% Tom's fault because these were the two easiest recruitments he is ever going to have, and he couldn't put aside his ego enough to get it done. You don't give up on it when daddy's being a pain in the ass, you just suck it up and get it fucking done.

• Hook 'Em 4

1. They're trying. They've offered him an obscene amount of money. They aren't going to fire Herman and risk completely flopping on Urban just because some butthurt fans are angry about the team underperforming.

2. That $25 million buyout is no joke, that money comes from somewhere and I guarantee the buyout is conditional on the basis of landing a Urban Meyer type.

Jesus why is this so hard to understand?

Also Fleck? Fickel? For reals? We might as well just stick with Mensa at that point. I'd be down with Shanahan but I very seriously doubt he comes here or if the boosters want him.
Of course Urbs is at the top of the list, but do you seriously think Shanahan wouldnt be #2 if anyone thought that was a realistic option? Fuck outta here..

14 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

This can't be real right? 

That headline is the first line of the article, with no supporting evidence, then it immediately segues into pure speculation about Herman's performance and Urban's track record.  That bombshell at the top is just a hook to get clicks with nothing new behind it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Asking Urban first makes sense, because Urban has skins on the wall almost no one else has (and we already botched offering the other guy).

If Urban says no, you promote an interim head coach and do a proper search. In fact, you start that search already, so the ducks are in a row sooner.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'm gunna blame it on Herman and continue to until someone comes up with something better than "Daddy threw fits!" 

We sit on this message board and talk every day about what a narcissistic asshole Tomothy Herman is, and how Herb Hand doesn't know how to coach and recruit offensive linemen, yet I'm supposed to believe it's all the ex-NFL offensive lineman who is to blame because his kids won't come play for these two bozos, and instead went running off to an NFL OL factory who knows what they're doing with developing the position.

Sure, sure, I'm well aware that daddy threw fits. We all are. Probably because little kinda-4* brother wasn't getting the attention daddy thought his baby should have... but you know what you do if you're the coach of the program that these kids' dad and grandfather played at, with one of them being the best OL prospect in the country? You kiss their fucking asses. The whole family's ass. You sit in the living room, or in this case whatever place you meet with these legacy parents at, and you kiss their asses. And when it's triple legacies you're recruiting, whose brother is already on your team, you kiss a little softer, maybe nibble on their ear a little bit.

Not getting them is inexcusable, I don't care how bad daddy bitched and moaned. You still had momma, but it wasn't enough to overcome Tom and Herb. It's a terrible look, and it matters when Lincoln and Jimbro get to tell other kids, "I mean look at 'em, their grandpa went there. Their daddy. THEIR BROTHER IS ON THE TEAM! They still don't wanna go play there har har har."

It's 100% Tom's fault because these were the two easiest recruitments he is ever going to have, and he couldn't put aside his ego enough to get it done. You don't give up on it when daddy's being a pain in the ass, you just suck it up and get it fucking done.

And, unsurprisingly, you'd continue to be dense and wrong about the situation. The topic has been discussed pretty extensively on the recruiting board over the course of several months, so if you chose not to read or instead to not believe, well, that's on you. Blame Herman all you want, but Blake Brockermeyer was a petulant little bitch about everything, including Yancey McKnight telling him that surprise surprise his son  James isn't an NFL ready 1st round draft pick right now. And he can't even figure out how college admissions work. He'd fit in well on the football board. 

Your premise makes sense if you consider that at the time the recruitment started, Herman was still on an upward trajectory and Hand was a hot name and well considered coach. They should have committed to Texas 2 years ago, and then perhaps decommitted later when the clownshow revealed itself inarguably. But that's not what fucking happened. Fuck, even Quinn Ewers committed to his childhood team, and his parent's werent both alums and a former letterman, but not the Brocks. No Sir. Because Blake is a little bitch.

Herman kissed their asses. He offered James earlier than most other schools. And Momma was shockingly silent about everything until she realized she was being frozen out of UT social circles because she married a titty baby. Getting them is inexcusable, but that isn't all on Herman. No matter what you say. 

But you clearly, clearly have better information than me, and a history of exceptional and thoughtful takes. So you know, congrats. The platitudes like "You get it done" really make a fucking difference. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

Can AD's even call recruits? Ever since Herman said that, I've thought that it would be a recruiting violation. The ncaa is very particular about who can make contact with recruits, and I don't think AD's can. I could be wrong. 
Surely Tom wouldn't ask his athletic director to commit multiple NCAA violations on his behalf. I mean, that's the kind of thing that might get a guy fired for cause.

3 minutes ago, Damor said:
51 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:
Can AD's even call recruits? Ever since Herman said that, I've thought that it would be a recruiting violation. The ncaa is very particular about who can make contact with recruits, and I don't think AD's can. I could be wrong. 

Surely Tom wouldn't ask his athletic director to commit multiple NCAA violations on his behalf. I mean, that's the kind of thing that might get a guy fired for cause.

I wonder if Herman just made up the story about CDC saying he'd call recruits.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And, unsurprisingly, you'd continue to be dense and wrong about the situation. The topic has been discussed pretty extensively on the recruiting board over the course of several months, so if you chose not to read or instead to not believe, well, that's on you. Blame Herman all you want, but Blake Brockermeyer was a petulant little bitch about everything, including Yancey McKnight telling him that surprise surprise his son  James isn't an NFL ready 1st round draft pick right now. And he can't even figure out how college admissions work. He'd fit in well on the football board. 

Your premise makes sense if you consider that at the time the recruitment started, Herman was still on an upward trajectory and Hand was a hot name and well considered coach. They should have committed to Texas 2 years ago, and then perhaps decommitted later when the clownshow revealed itself inarguably. But that's not what fucking happened. Fuck, even Quinn Ewers committed to his childhood team, and his parent's werent both alums and a former letterman, but not the Brocks. No Sir. Because Blake is a little bitch.

Herman killed their asses. He offered James earlier than most other schools. And Momma was shockingly silent about everything until she realized she was being frozen out of UT social circles because she married a titty baby. Getting them is inexcusable, but that isn't all on Herman. No matter what you say. 

But you clearly, clearly have better information than me, and a history of exceptional and thoughtful takes. So you know, congrats. The platitudes like "You get it done" really make a fucking difference. 

Don't get your ass all twisted around your vagina because I interpret the situation differently than you do. It wasn't a personal attack on anything you've said, or ignoring the information we've all read on about how big of a pain Daddy Brock was. It's simply my opinion that none of that should matter, and no coach at the University of Texas should have let the Brock's get away.

You say it's as much, "no, more" the Brock's fault. I say I think it's more of Tom's fault.

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Guys I'm not sure we want Urban. I ran into Urban at HEB just now.. I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Urban??

150301-news-better-call-saul.jpg

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, On my list of steps I posted for the timeline we had the agreement in principle from Saban but the steps after that collapsed.  I'm guessing from the rumors that we are close to that phase here (maybe his wife is not on board yet) or maybe on the getting key staff on board step.  (Wife and key staff on board could be one larger step)

1 hour ago, austintiger said:

Tom Herman is still the coach. That's says everything. I wouldn't be shocked to see him back next year. For your sake I hope I'm wrong and you get urban.

TTT - things take time.  If you think Herman will coach UT next year, you are a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, cochamps said:

TTT - things take time.  If you think Herman will coach UT next year, you are a fucking idiot.

We’ve got several schools of thought on this.  The fucking idiots who think Urban will coach here next year, the fucking idiots who think Herman will, and the fucking idiots who think G5 coach X will.  Not sure but I think there was at least one fucking idiot who also thought there might be no coach cause no season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, D_Goose said:

Sure Stewart, except one of those headlines is from Fox Sports and the other is from the sports media giant "Austonia News".

Austonia News sounds like one of those publications on the rack at the Central Market entrance between Tribeza and Austin Lake Life.  Ironically, all featuring robust amounts of Kendra Scott advertisements.  

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic