Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

24 minutes ago, Deej said:

This thread, about 3 or 4 times a day...

Oh No Fire GIF

Are we shifting from burgers to pizza talk?

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I know Babers is close with Shanahan and has stated he has no interest in coaching college ball, but if you're offered $12 mil... that's a lot of money to pass up.  I would gladly take him.  He's one of the brightest minds in all of football and I have no doubt he would put together an all-star staff.  Outside of Meyer, that would be about as good of a hire for any college program outside of Saban or Dabo.  Every recruit will think twice about having the opportunity to be developed by a young NFL coach that was a play or two close from winning the superbowl.  

Why the hell would we offer Shanahan $12 million?

Pro tip for some of you: it takes about 2 Google searches to figure out that Shanahan would have a ~$50M buyout from his current gig. 

So unless you think that's even remotely on the table - stop.

Agreed that it's probably a coordinator. Pederson would be interesting if he had any experience at the college level. BB isn't coaching college ball. Pete is too old and coaching a top 5 team in the NFL right now. Payton would have a similar buyout to Shanahan. 

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Nahlin:

EN: There’s some speculation that he’s also struggling to grab the guys he needs from Ohio State. Not sure if that’s true, but makes more sense to me than health issues not being understood a month ago

Exxacccttlly

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its not Shanahan.

Honestly - there aren't very many NFL head coaches that would get me terribly excited.  Most of them are NFL lifers who have never had to recruit or deal with the bullshit of a college job.

Among assistants there are plenty of 'exciting' candidates - but how many of them have head coaching experience (at any level)? I don't want another guy learning on the job.

Really after Meyer or some other sure fire existing college coach, it’s going to be luck with any other pick and a decent chance we are doing this in 3-5 years again anyway. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Nahlin:

EN: There’s some speculation that he’s also struggling to grab the guys he needs from Ohio State. Not sure if that’s true, but makes more sense to me than health issues not being understood a month ago

This makes sense... the guys a tOSU have a good situation.  Outside of his son-in-law, why leave.  If he fears he can't get his guys to win quickly, not sure he wants to risk his current legacy to potentially fail at Texas.

I've always expected us to somehow end up on the short end of all this speculation.  We'll end up with fucking Luke Fickell or someone shitty.  Honesty, just hire Hugh Freeze and lets start cheating our asses off.  I don't give a fuck anymore.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Nahlin:

This isn't true.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Among assistants there are plenty of 'exciting' candidates - but how many of them have head coaching experience (at any level)? I don't want another guy learning on the job.

John Harbaugh was never a coordinator (special teams corch) before taking the Ravens job.

Mike Tomin was a DC for exactly one year prior to taking the Steelers HC job at the ripe old age of 35. 

We all know about Stoops and Riley at OU.

If you know how to evaluate candidates properly then it doesn't matter whether a guy has been a HC or even a coordinator. The biggest problem at Texas is we don't do a proper search and evaluate candidates properly. But for that matter, most places get it wrong most of the time regardless so it's not like Texas is unique in this regard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic