Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Nahlin's response to this reply on IT was "boom."

This is my thought as well. Urban has been through this a time or three. If he’s seriously considering the job I guarantee he’s already reaching out to potential staff to gauge interest.

Urban won’t take this job unless he’s certain he can get who he wants as assistants. He won’t leave that to chance. If he’s getting turned down behind the scenes by his preferred staff then suddenly his health problems are much more serious. If he starts to get better responses then suddenly he’ll feel better.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

People chill. It was clear Meyer wasnt going to sit down and make a decision until he had an offer in hand, which didnt happen until yesterday. We've been informally contacting people all over the country for months now. That happens at every program when they have a coach on the hot seat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rhinotx said:

The Saban Deal of 2013 is still being talked about. You think Urban talk is over

What if Saban didn't have Covid, but just used the diagnosis as a smoke screen to skip the Iron Bowl and come to Austin to go house hunting. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

just jumped into the last page of this thread after not reading anything since yesterday afternoon.  when i left off, everyone was nutting themselves that the deal was done and now we are actually talking about horrible nfl coaching takes.  i am impressed with how quickly this board went through the five stages of grief in less than 24 hours over complete bullshit innuendo and douchebags trying to inflate their sense of importance and insider knowledge in either direction.

very impressive emotional intelligence.  props to us.

five stages?

hell the only stages we go through around here are elation and anger

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

just jumped into the last page of this thread after not reading anything since yesterday afternoon.  when i left off, everyone was nutting themselves that the deal was done and now we are actually talking about horrible nfl coaching takes.  i am impressed with how quickly this board went through the five stages of grief in less than 24 hours over complete bullshit innuendo and douchebags trying to inflate their sense of importance and insider knowledge in either direction. very impressive emotional intelligence.  props to us.

Join us or STFU...

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Dead on. Yes, he's making nearly $10M, and he doesn't have to deal with politics and recruiting. Dude was raised in the NFL, has connections all over the league. There's no incentive for him to dive down to college right now. 

Plus he might impale himself trying (failing) to hurdle a picket fence again!

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Um, he took the Niners to the Super Bowl as HC.

Confused Fantasy Football GIF by DraftKings

Tbf I read Swandered's comment wrong. It doesn't change the point I'm making. He had success at the college level first - it's what got him the 9ers job.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's nothing different from what IT has reported. They were saying if Urban didn't work out that Brian Kelly would be the 2nd option. 

All they're saying is Texas is doing their due diligence in case Urban isn't hired. They've been saying that for weeks. 

Yep. It all looks pretty normal to me. I'd have been shocked had we not heard something like this along the way.

15 minutes ago, troph said:

there is little talk anywhere about other coaches.  it's still a possibility.  My guess is Sunday/Monday after KSU.  if it doesn't happen by then, UM declined and we are still looking.

We are barely holding it together as it is.

On the positive side, if he has the full offer as we’ve been told, then it’s quicker to say no if you don’t think it’s going to work, than it is to double check and make sure all your ducks are in a row assistant wise before officially saying yes. 

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Huh? His one year as a QB coach in the NFL? 

You appear to be interpreting that sequentially when it's meant in terms of his notoriety. He was better known or more often characterized, i.e. first and foremost, for his success with the 49ers when he took the Michigan job. In my opinion, anyway. He was an NFL guy taking a college job, in shorthand. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If Urban is just now leveraging health and Texas just happens to start leaking NFL names that are interested then this thing is probably close to getting done. Pressure gets deals done. 

Exactly my reaction.

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So did Harbaugh.

Was ztejas talking about Brady? I just read his response and must've missed the post he was responding to? Fuck me -- got too many things going on apparently and this thread moves fast as fuck.

So let's say the hold is assistants.  

DC:  Chris Ash

LB:  Hustler

CB:  Valai (if Ash vouches for him)

DL:  Johnson, retain Giles maybe?

QB:  Son-in-law

RB:  Drayton or anyone else

WR:  ?

TE:  ?

OC:  ??

S&C:  ?

Support staff: ??

It seems like he already has a few big names he'd probably keep on the defense.  I don't believe for a second he's going to turn the job down because of a strength and conditioning coach and guys in player development and support from Ohio State.  He's probably trying to leverage to get them a big pay bump.  If they still don't want to come, I highly doubt those are the only guys he will work with.  If he doesn't take the job, it won't be because 2-3 tOSU assistants told him no.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

Was ztejas talking about Brady? I just read his response and must've missed the post he was responding to? Fuck me -- got too many things going on apparently and this thread moves fast as fuck.

I can Cliff's Notes it for you-- I think Harbaugh represents the struggles any NFL coach would have in college; ztejas thinks because Harbaugh had success at Stanford, he doesn't really count. Just idle discussion, there's no way to prove either position.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, C-Man said:

Yeah - not faulting you. I was making the point that Jim Harbaugh had college success first - then went to the NFL - then came back to college - so he's not the best example of an NFL guy not being able to find success at the college level. 

As Swandered commented - he might be known foremost for his "success" with the 49ers - but that doesn't change the timeline that I was getting at. 

The original comment was talking about how most NFL guys might struggle coming to the college ranks.

Jesus fucking christ you fucking downgrades, get control of ourselves. 

Anyone talking about leveraging more money for assistants, the existing discussed salary pool for assistants was what, 8 million? 10? You really think they don't already have the money for assistants they'd ever need if that were true? The holdup may be assistants not wanting  to leave, but it isn't because of money. 

39 minutes ago, Istian said:

Harbaugh currently makes 9 million per year. I don't know that it'd be worth it to take the extra recruiting responsibilities AND less money to coach in college.

He seems like he'd be great as a college coach and maybe that's the one box he needs to check.  Obviously his brother and dad were college guys.  Coaching NFL meatheads could suck

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

It seems like he already has a few big names he'd probably keep on the defense.  I don't believe for a second he's going to turn the job down because of a strength and conditioning coach and guys in player development and support from Ohio State.  He's probably trying to leverage to get them a big pay bump.  If they still don't want to come, I highly doubt those are the only guys he will work with.  If he doesn't take the job, it won't be because 2-3 tOSU assistants told him no.

The holdup is likely Pantoni and Marrotti. And as much as we might not like it, there's a good chance that A) Urban doesn't want to take on the health risks without the guys that have been with him his entire career and B) they don't want to leave a good job at Ohio State given all the risks at Texas (having to rebuild, Urban could leave early, etc.). And it's not like Ohio State couldn't match a big money offer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This right here.  There is no way Urban decides he wants to coach again (at UT or elsewhere) but has to decline because he can't get a couple of his old assistant coaches from Ohio State.  That's total BS.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.jpeg.682e1a46bdff9cdb2a3cc27d99187198.jpeg

i only see them in small towns though

Started in Madisonville as Dairy Palace but had to change the name because someone else had it, then changed to Texas Burger for years, now TX Burger for whatever reason. I don't know how many there are now, I think several have opened and closed over the years. Carter's Burger in Bryan are the same people.

22 minutes ago, troph said:

the chat like discussion about burgers was an underrated moment last night.  you missed out.

that was awesome

GM Steakhouse was missing from the conversation I think.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:

reaction gif GIF

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic