Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not sure if serious but it's a well known fact that he is a full blown alcoholic and not really all that functional.  Think of the NBA and how all the players love the script clubs. Then, think about how they all talk in amazement at how much James Harden loves the Script clubs.  That's Sark with Alcohol.

Or put another way- when Rumlin was bumbling around College Station many people called him "Dark Sark" which will never not be funny to me.  But yeah, he's a well known lush that makes Vodka Tom blush.  

Ok I didn't know his problem was that bad, my apologies lol. I assumed that most of those guys drink heavily while they are in the middle of that shit storm. They have to find a way to wind down from all that bullshit involved in being a head coach at a blue blood. 

Just now, closetohumping said:

Not defending the 9.95 mods, but not one of them has said it's happening.  

Weird. It's almost like all the rumors and speculation are good for their business.

Which is not to say that it's happening. We should just be honest about their motivation in these situations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Because they don't know shit and I think CDC as opposed to DD and that fuck face that came after did a good job keeping shit locked down. I've been impressed by that as it has not been the norm.  The 9.95 guys are struggling due to it. 

Edited by PassiveAggressiveCoach

To me that article read like this is a complete running out the clock situation...they want to hedge their bets because they don’t want to be wrong and they aren’t going to hear if it’s a yes or no until at least Herman’s gone. At this point it’s too late before the game to announce or do anything, so smokescreens and misdirections abound till you can make a move Saturday in Herman and Sunday/Monday on UM

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Anyway....why doesn't Whataburger sell hot dogs?  It seems like they should.

My preference for dogs is mustard, chili, cheese, and onions.  Though the Chicago style dog is a close second.  I am a fan of the tomatoes and pickle on it.  All that said i'm not a fan of relish and lastly mayo on a dog is blasphemy.

To paraphrase DKR  "A hotdog is workfood you don't fancy it up."   Mustard, Chilli, Cheese, Ketchup, onions.    A Chicago style dog is akin to what San Francisco does to pizza.

6 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Kerens makes Gun Barrel seem like Paris, France. Take a ride through Cherokee Shores in Payne Springs will make you miss Corsicana. 

I literally have to drive through CS to get to my house.  I am all too familiar.  

By the way the new little Mexican street taco shack in Payne Springs is really good.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

To me that article read like this is a complete running out the clock situation...they want to hedge their bets because they don’t want to be wrong and they aren’t going to hear if it’s a yes or no until at least Herman’s gone. At this point it’s too late before the game to announce or do anything, so smokescreens and misdirections abound till you can make a move Saturday in Herman and Sunday/Monday on UM

One good sign is no other candidates are mentioned. Urban has not said no

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Ok I didn't know his problem was that bad, my apologies lol. I assumed that most of those guys drink heavily while they are in the middle of that shit storm. They have to find a way to wind down from all that bullshit involved in being a head coach at a blue blood. 

You are right that most of them do drink hard, for a lot of the reasons that you mentioned. So, when amongst that circle people talk about "so and so" having a problem with the bottle you can bet that it's real and full blown ugly.

My suspicion is that Saban is sitting on him, as have other head coaches and that keeps him somewhat in check/functional, but when he has a chance to do it himself without any full time baby sitter it's just not going to happen.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theaveragejon said:

F150 or Ram

fucking Chevy features still like 10 years old. Catch up Chevy. 

Tundra or F150, or Ram. Features and nice styling or not, Chevy is more crap than ever. In an era where vehicle reliability is through the roof, everyone I know who has a Chevy is constantly complaining about it being in and out of the shop with all kinds of fundamental problems and mystery illnesses. I owned one in the 90s, but wouldn't touch one now.

Just now, closetohumping said:

One good sign is no other candidates are mentioned. Urban has not said no

At this point, not a no is a yes IMO. Nothing substantial is going to change between now and Saturday that couldn’t have been found out between now and October. Both sides know what they want and are good with what they are getting...I mean, at that point it’s a yes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Offer Marotti $1 mill a year and Pantoni $500k a year!!! On a different note why is Sarkisian a joke in that article above? After spending time with Saban he had to of learned some things about how to run good program and his offenses are always top notch. He would have to be a better candidate than Campbell or Fickell no?

He's an interesting backup plan (if he’s sober)

A ton of big program experience, NFL experience, P5 head coaching experience, high powered offenses, and strong recruiting

The biggest concern aside from his alcoholism is his mediocre head coaching results... but all of these guys have warts. Campbell, for instance, has never been at a major program as a player, GA, or coach; name one recent successful coach at a major program with that background? I otherwise like his resume, but that's an obvious wart 

• Like 1

After this shit year, and this utterly amazing fiasco of a thread, if we don't get Urban, I may move to one of these fuckhole towns we are discussing and start running meth & shine with the locals. 

Unlike the neighboring trailers, there'll be no satellite dish or dial-up interwebs, so I won't have to suffer through losses to TCUs, narrow wins over your Techs, demoralizing OU games, 11 o'clockers on Fox, LHB not playing, decommits, opt outs, etc.

1 minute ago, wood said:

Tundra or F150, or Ram. Features and nice styling or not, Chevy is more crap than ever. In an era where vehicle reliability is through the roof, everyone I know who has a Chevy is constantly complaining about it being in and out of the shop with all kinds of fundamental problems and mystery illnesses. I owned one in the 90s, but wouldn't touch one now.

You said Tundra and I stopped reading. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The optimistic view is that the Burton piece is a planted story because Bellmont wants it to be clear no deal was done before Herman was fired. So Burton makes that clear while still assuring his readers that the two parties are close to a deal. 

Yep, but I don't think that's just the optimistic view. I think that's the realistic view.

• Like 1

May I offer some sub topics to pass the time? Best athlete you’ve ever competed against? Random encounters you’ve had with famous people in Texas? I played against Ronald Jones in the fall of 2014. He wasn’t much bigger than I was but he was explosive on the second level. One of the fastest backs id ever seen in person. I rode an elevator with Kim Kardashian at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Antonio in 2010. I think she was getting dicked down by Miles Austin at the time. The cowboys were occupying the hotel for training camp. I also met H.K Pitts at a Dairy Queen in Bryan, TX. He seen me in Longhorn gear so he introduced himself to me and handed me a photo of him next to a plaque that stated he was the originator of the Hook’em gesture. 

This time yesterday I posted the Eli Manning “what the fuck” gif after reading it wasn’t looking great for UM and that Sark and Campbell were our backup plans. Then, last night it was all the way to almost calling it for UM to be our next coach. Now, gloom is in the air again. Guess it’s time to get back to work. We better not fuck around and find out. I love coaching changes. I hate coaching changes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

He's an interesting backup plan (if he’s sober)

A ton of big program experience, NFL experience, P5 head coaching experience, high powered offenses, and strong recruiting

The biggest concern aside from his alcoholism is his mediocre head coaching results... but all of these guys have warts. Campbell, for instance, has never been at a major program as a player, GA, or coach; name one recent successful coach at a major program with that background? I otherwise like his resume, but that's an obvious wart 

I will be disappointed as fuck if it’s ol Cutty Sark, this shouldn’t be a take a flier type hire. Only thing that might not make me jump off a ledge if it’s Urban would be Dan Mullen and Coach Boom at DC

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

May I offer some sub topics to pass the time? Best athlete you’ve ever competed against? Random encounters you’ve had with famous people in Texas? I played against Ronald Jones in the fall of 2014. He wasn’t much bigger than I was but he was explosive on the second level. One of the fastest backs id ever seen in person. I rode an elevator with Kim Kardashian at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Antonio in 2010. I think she was getting dicked down by Miles Austin at the time. The cowboys were occupying the hotel for training camp. I also met H.K Pitts at a Dairy Queen in Bryan, TX. He seen me in Longhorn gear so he introduced himself to me and handed me a photo of him next to a plaque that stated he was the originator of the Hook’em gesture. 

Played Jacquizz Rodgers my senior year, damn snapped my ankles in half. Him and his brother were flat out ridiculous 

3 minutes ago, hobbs said:

After this shit year, and this utterly amazing fiasco of a thread, if we don't get Urban, I may move to one of these fuckhole towns we are discussing and start running meth & shine with the locals. 

Open a burger with mayo restaurant.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Oddly, Mrs. Meyer's cryptic Twitter responses are the most direct, publicly available evidence that (1) there have indeed been talks between TX and Meyer, and (2) Meyer has not said no. The only reason for cryptic responses is if a deal is in the works or has been finalized but not announced.

That's not any groundbreaking revelation, but it's straight from Shelly Meyer instead of being related fourth hand from someone who probably read it on surly to begin with.

I agree it's significant, but another possibility is that they are still undecided.

26 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

If y’all could shut the fuck up about shitty Texas towns that would be great 

Yes, please.  Let's get back to burger talk.

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Ricky Bobby

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I literally have to drive through CS to get to my house.  I am all too familiar.  

By the way the new little Mexican street taco shack in Payne Springs is really good.   

Don Juans Romantic Mexican Restaurant?

We always go to El Manantial in Seven Points. Seven Points is deserving to be put on the shittiest town list. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are right that most of them do drink hard, for a lot of the reasons that you mentioned. So, when amongst that circle people talk about "so and so" having a problem with the bottle you can bet that it's real and full blown ugly.

My suspicion is that Saban is sitting on him, as have other head coaches and that keeps him somewhat in check/functional, but when he has a chance to do it himself without any full time baby sitter it's just not going to happen.  

How much drinking do you consider to be the threshold for "having a problem"?  Being home all the time this past year I started having 1-2 drinks a day and that felt like too much and had to back off.  Maybe we should have a poll.

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

But as soon as it happens they will all crow how they were the first to know but kept it on the down low blah-ti-fucking blah.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone ever been to Albert, TX?  Population 1, only business in town is a bar.

Sounds like a town with it's priorities in line.

That reminds me of a joke.  Guy moves out to the middle of nowhere and as he's moving in he gets a knock on the door. The white trash hick knocking on the door says- hey buddy- I'm having a party tonight- want to come?

New guy- what kind of party?

White trash- oh you know- usual kind of party- there will be some drinking and cussing, fucking and fighting, all the normal stuff

New guy- sounds great- what do I wear?

White trash- don't matter- just gonna be you and me. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Anyone ever been to Albert, TX?  Population 1, only business in town is a bar.

Are you serious?  That's what makes Albert awesome!    

Breckenridge is my nomination for worst shithole in Texas.  So much meth and despair there, and not even a single good place to eat.  

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic