Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Corsicana TX sure seems like a terrible place and I would only drive through it on my way to Tyler a couple of times a month three years ago. Everyone in their cars had a look on their face as if they were in the most miserable place on earth.

Grew up outside Corsicana.  It's not good, and it's only getting worse.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He fucking sucks as a candidate and would suck as a HC here. I can’t even follow how you’d get anywhere beyond that. If Steve Sarkisian is our next head coach, the justified erosion of the fanbase would be visible. I discovered this year that I had way better shit to focus on than sports if sports was going to go fucktard on me as a fan. I am not the only one, as ratings resoundingly reflect. Roll Sarkisian out as the HC at Texas and I’ll see you guys in hell. 

I've come across smart sports fans who are out on every non-Urban candidate mentioned so far; Sark, Cristobal, Franklin, Campbell, etc. 

I think the hope for Sark is that he'd have the best understanding of what it takes to win at a big program given his experience head coaching at USC (hopefully he'd learn from his fuck ups there) and coaching under Saban at Bama. Hopefully he'd know by now the type of assistant coaches and support staff it takes to win, and hopefully he'd know that you need to recruit at an elite level. Hopefully, if he's not running the offense himself, he'd hire a cutting each spread guy and not a Todd Helton, and hopefully a top DC. Regarding his ability at roster management, offseason, weekly coaching preparations, game-day coaching, etc., those are concerns and question marks, but you'd be banking on hopefully having elite talent and a great coaching staff, like LSU was thinking with Orgeron when they decided to make him the full time coach. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wrong.gif. No one here never found the hotel he was staying at, the guy has been in Napa california all week drinking wine and playing golf. It has been confirmed by IT this morning. It was a fun exercise, but not accurate. So, yeah, no coincidences. And you call people to see what your position is you'd be working with. Any executive might gauge who's going with him if he made a big move, and who's staying. So I'm going with way off base.

See above. 

All of what you said is totally and completely true and I hate you so so so much for it. 

Just now, C-Man said:

Correct. The only adjustment I'd make to your timeline is I bet we'd get an announcement that Urban is the new coach by the end of the day Saturday, early Sunday with a Monday PC to introduce him to the media. If it's done, I have a feeling we will be bursting to get the official news out. Then it gets good run on the Sunday NFL pregame shows.

Correct, if it went down like it did for Ohio State in 2011 we'd be looking at Urban meeting with the team Sunday or early Monday before a press conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I will say, one of my my favorite things is when Ketchum comes up with news after his competitors directly contradicting those guys who inevitably have sources. I mean, I guess it's his only fucking play, but it amuses the fuck out of me every single motherfucking time. 

Also, take note how he's sourcing his info from fucking  Ohio State people. Because he doesn't have fucking anyone at Texas. No one. "Oh, did Burton and Nahlin saying health seems like it's ok, and his daughters and potentially wife are on board with it? Better eat these here 4-5 chicken wings real fast, tell everyone his family is against it, then wipe my ass with peanut butter, let in the dog, and spread my cheeks."  

He's not sourcing shit. It's clear he doesn't have any tOSU sources. He's just saying things based on what every one of us already knows, so it seems plausible, then passing it off as sourced "new info".

He doesn't know shit, as always.

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I've come across smart sports fans who are out on every non-Urban candidate mentioned so far; Sark, Cristobal, Franklin, Campbell, etc. 

I think the hope for Sark is that he'd have the best understanding of what it takes to win at a big program given his experience head coaching at USC (hopefully he'd learn from his fuck ups there) and coaching under Saban at Bama. Hopefully he'd know by now the type of assistant coaches and support staff it takes to win, and hopefully he'd know that you need to recruit at an elite level. Hopefully, if he's not running the offense himself, he'd hire a cutting each spread guy and not a Todd Helton, and hopefully a top DC. Regarding his ability at roster management, offseason, weekly coaching preparations, game-day coaching, etc., those are concerns and question marks, but you'd be banking on hopefully having elite talent and a great coaching staff, like LSU was thinking with Orgeron when they decided to make him the full time coach. 

I'm banking on he'd get stressed out with all the responsibility and raid the rubbing alcohol cabinet in the training room. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Sunday's aren't good for press conferences.  It's possible they wait till Monday or Tuesday for a press conference.../

Probably so. The more I've thought about it, the more I lean toward the official news getting out that he's the coach (assuming this deal gets consummated) on Saturday night or early Sunday morning with the introductory PC on Monday.

How much drinking do you consider to be the threshold for "having a problem"?  Being home all the time this past year I started having 1-2 drinks a day and that felt like too much and had to back off.  Maybe we should have a poll.

2 drinks a day a problem??

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Little Rascals Waiting GIF

Hundred more pages of shitty towns, burgers and wild ass guesses.

At this point just waiting on the official announcement so that ALL the 9.95's can claim to have known all along but were sworn to secrecy... details to follow

All will be explained after the regular season lol my friend lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Technically it is the dang Mississippi rivers fault Galveston has brown water except for when a norther blows in.  You go to the beach in August or september in Galveston with a strong wind out of the north, it is every bit as clear as SPI.

Of course, it also the fault of the Mississippi that Galveston Bay is the most productive fishery in the US(Yes technically Chesapeak is more, but it is 8 times the size of GB. so based on an efficiency level---which we are apparently obsessed with in sports----Galveston Bay is better.)

strong north wind in Galveston in August or September? Is this wind coming off a thunderstorm or something?

2 hours ago, THUJONE said:

I had to try a case in Odessa, but we stayed in Midland. At the FIVE STAR ELEGÁNTE HOTEL, which is five stars because it's in the name. Highlights of the trial were thus:

-Dwarf biker gang hanging out at the pool getting absolutely shitfaced

-The Lobby has a "Jungle Theme" complete with stuffed tigers (not taxidermy tigers, literal full-sized, stuffed-animal tigers like, from the state fair) and dusty fake greenery

-The Hotel bar/restaurant also houses a Tuesday (I think) Karaoke night. We ate in there one Tuesday and there was just one lady doing Karaoke and cartwheels with no underpants on. This is someone you would want to wear underpants.

-Ate at a chili's probably twenty times (best food close by) and saw Quiet Riot in there having dinner before a show. It was the single most depressing sight I've ever seen.

CUM on feel the noize!

Y'all it's a sign, we getting 'urrbban. Feels so weird referring to him as CUM, but hey, shooters shoot. 

9 minutes ago, 936horn said:

who the fuck is this guy

Has more of a following than our prophet RapGameLarry. And I like RapGameLarry's Schtick. If the deal through, him and the squid do down as one of the greatest duo's of all time. If they're wrong, the Squid is getting shipped to Japan to be rightfully processed into sushi. 

Edited by Happy Gilmore
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

If this is the line of thought, wouldn't it be better to just go get Cristobal? He can do all of that plus identify and develop OL without the alcoholism concerns. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm banking on he'd get stressed out with all the responsibility and raid the rubbing alcohol cabinet in the training room. 

Yeah, even if he's been sober for a while now, I don't trust him to stay that way once the pressure of being the Texas HC hits.  What he does right now with all the talent in the world and Saban shielding him from outside pressures doesn't seem very relevant to how he'd be at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

strong north wind in Galveston in August or September? Is this wind coming off a thunderstorm or something?

No, when I lived down there, we could count on at least one strong blow to come out of the north in late august or September every year and make the water all clear and pretty before it got cold.

Of course if a Hurricane was coming in just east of us all of a sudden the water got clear, the bay emptied completely, then flooded, then you were picking up shells on the beach like you were in the Carribean.

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Used to be a big fan back in the day.  Don't get by there much anymore (in my adult life).

Agreed. OG Snuffers on Greenville was decent. The scenery was typically the best thing about it.  
Nowadays after having homogenized their platform to every freaking suburb in DFW, it sucks. 

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.png.06bf3ddcf1f102c4bb6427e238a50a40.png

as long as we don't wait for a potential Kansas game.  The original end of the season was supposed to be the 5th so I think we use that and Ash is interim HC if Kansas happens.

At least Herman can't be killing himself in Florida recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think the hope for Sark Herman is that he'd have the best understanding of what it takes to win at a big program given his experience head coaching at USC Texas (hopefully he'd learn from his fuck ups there) and coaching under Saban Meyer at Bama OSU. Hopefully he'd know by now the type of assistant coaches and support staff it takes to win, and hopefully he'd know that you need to recruit at an elite level. Hopefully, if he's not running the offense himself, he'd hire a cutting each spread guy and not a Todd Helton Drew Mehringer, and hopefully a top DC. Regarding his ability at roster management, offseason, weekly coaching preparations, game-day coaching, etc., those are concerns and question marks, but you'd be banking on hopefully having elite talent and a great coaching staff, like LSU was thinking with Orgeron when they decided to make him the full time coach. 

Just post this on the USC board in a few months.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If this is the line of thought, wouldn't it be better to just go get Cristobal? He can do all of that plus identify and develop OL without the alcoholism concerns. 

Yeah, even if he's been sober for a while now, I don't trust him to stay that way once the pressure of being the Texas HC hits.  What he does right now with all the talent in the world and Saban shielding him from outside pressures doesn't seem very relevant to how he'd be at Texas.

If we go this way...................

I would say we do what we did in 1956 when we were turned down by our early candidates and ended up with Royal....Ask Urban who he would hire.  It got us Royal closing in on 64 years to the day......

33 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

It’s not gonna happen is it

it’s not happening and was never happening.  you and the rest of these sad fucks in here tracking the flights of irrelevant dipshits with no connection to the UT coaching position... it’s fucking baffling and ridiculous.

he isn’t coming, people.  go back to your shanties. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I've accepted that if the Meyer hire doesn't happen that Cristobal is probably the best of a bad group of alternatives.  No (realistic) NFL options are particularly exciting.  Cristobal has a significant amount of HC experience - and some success at Oregon.  He'll recruit/cheat his ass off and you know we'll have a good OL (which can win you a lot of games).

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It takes the same amount of time to fly into the Pacific coast of Costa Rica as it does to get to these places in Florida, within an hour-ish. There it is way cheaper, with zero rednecks, better food and more shit to do. We go every year (#fuckcorona) and spend less money than people who pride themselves on being fucking cheap who live around us.

...apropos of nothing, did you used to have five daughters?

it’s not happening and was never happening.  you and the rest of these sad fucks in here tracking the flights of irrelevant dipshits with no connection to the UT coaching position... it’s fucking baffling and ridiculous.
he isn’t coming, people.  go back to your shanties. 
Here we go again

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic