Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Mole said:

You know, this board has been a beating for the past year. This is the first thread that has felt like the old days. I have a good feeling about this.

Me too. Hard to explain it. But I think we are going to make the right moves to get UT where we need for it and want it to be. It’s been a beating as you say. That’s why the past few days has been so great. Hopefully, it continues. 

24 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Starting to feel a bit bad about all the copy/pasting and most of it is not really new but here's one thing that I found interesting given that Urban has requested control over an associate AD. Stamper has probably been mentioned somewhere in these 290 pages but it's a new name to me. I also didn't realize that Corey Dennis was a Ryan Day promotion. That makes me feel better about bringing him along since it wouldn't just be straight nepotism.

Spoiler

Speaking of those whom Meyer would look to bring with him, I was given five names on the list of people within the Ohio State program that Meyer would most likely approach if he takes the Texas job. I gave the list of names to Alex Dunlap, and he compiled the following snapshot of each person (see below).

Ryan Stamper

Current title
: Assistant Athletic Director for Player Development - Ohio State
2020 Salary: $179,000
Job description: "To be an administrative resource to players in all areas of their development."
Connections to Meyer: "Stamp" came to OSU with Meyer and was eventually promoted internally to his current position in 2018. He played under Meyer at Florida and was a two-time team captain and second-team All-SEC linebacker.
Overview: Stamper, who was a police officer in Florida for almost three years after Gator graduation and joined Meyer's first Ohio State staff in 2012, is obviously someone Meyer would have interest in bringing along for any new opportunities. Stamper is highly thought of and intimately involved with the players in the program, setting up everything from job fairs to guest speakers, and surely also helping behind the scenes when "family issues" come up that are best handled within the program.

Mickey Marotti

Current title
: Assistant Athletic Director for Football Sports Performance - Ohio State
2020 Salary: $801,000
Job description: Strength and conditioning coach
Connections to Meyer: Very strong. They were graduate assistants together and worked together off and on before reuniting on Meyer's first UF staff in 2005. He then joined Meyer in 2012 at Ohio State.
Overview: One of the best developers in a strength and conditioning program in the nation. Do a quick Google search for "best S&C coaches" and look how many lists Marotti pops up on. He's been part of three national championships with Meyer, developed 22 All-Americans and eight first-round draft picks during seven years at UF, then 19 more first-team All-Americans at Ohio State since 2012, including an outrageous 12 first-round draft picks over that same stint.

Brian Voltolini

Current
 title: Associate AD/General Manager, Football Operations - Ohio State
2020 Salary: $245,000
Job description: "Voltolini has oversight responsibilities for all areas of the football program’s departments, staff and operations. In addition, he is the liaison with the compliance, SASSO, communications and business offices, and in his new position he will oversee coaches/staff contracts and work with the department’s legal and human resources team. He will also work with and maintain consistent contact with coach/staff agents and representatives."
Connections to Meyer: Voltolini worked under Meyer in various roles (starting as a video-room plebe at Bowling Green) for the 18 years leading up to Meyer's retirement at Ohio State, not counting the one year Meyer took off between UF and Ohio State.
Overview: Voltolini has a bit of a do-it-all background with everything from video editing and web development to payroll and HR. His catch-all title and responsibilities over "operations" indicate a guy with his hands in many football departments and would likely be someone Meyer would want on staff to cater to his preferences about things like recruiting event budgets, different waivers and operational red tape that go along with camps, social media oversight, downstream hires and interviews and a lot in between. Dude must have eight arms.

Mark Pantoni

Current
2020 Salary: $225,000
Job description: Basically, the guy in charge of recruiting. "Pantoni supervises all aspects of the program’s administrative duties for recruiting, including film evaluations, on-campus official and unofficial visits, the social media/creative team, travel and roster management."
Connections to Meyer: Was a recruiting coordinator under Meyer for five seasons at Florida before leaving to join Meyer's OSU staff in 2012.
Overview: Pantoni has been responsible for the evaluation and recruitment of all those players that were developed into All-Americans and NFL studs. Here's a little intel on Pantoni from a fellow player personnel director who has both worked alongside Pantoni and also been in position to have to recruit against him:

"He's considered the godfather of directors of player personnel. It's a young man's game to relate to these kids, and even though he's a little older than the typical DPP (Pantoni turned 39 this year), no one gets across to these guys like Pantoni. He's a due-diligence guy who knows what his coaches like, and he evaluates and recruits on that basis. His 2016 NFL draft class was the holy grail."

For those unfamiliar, the 2016 Ohio State NFL draft class truly was "the holy grail" and unlike anything anyone has ever seen. The Buckeyes had five first-round picks that year, and 11 of the first 102 picks were from Ohio State.

First Round
No. 3 — DE Joey Bosa to the San Diego Chargers
No. 4 — RB Ezekiel Elliott to the Dallas Cowboys
No. 10 — CB Eli Apple to the New York Giants
No. 16 — OT Taylor Decker to the Detroit Lions
No. 20 — LB Darron Lee to the New York Jets

Second Round
No. 47 — WR Michael Thomas to the New Orleans Saints
No. 61 — S Vonn Bell to the New Orleans Saints
Note: Seven picks in the first two rounds ties NFL Draft record (USC in 2008 & Tennessee in 2000)

Third Round
No. 80 — DT Adolphus Washington to the Buffalo Bills
No. 85 — WR Braxton Miller to the Houston Texans
No. 94 — TE Nick Vannett to the Seattle Seahawks
Note: 10 picks in the first three rounds sets an NFL Draft record

Fourth Round
No. 102 — LB Joshua Perry to the San Diego Chargers
No. 139 — QB Cardale Jones to the Buffalo Bills
Note: 12 picks in first four rounds are most in modern/common era (since 1967)

Corey Dennis

Current
 title: Quarterbacks Coach - Ohio State
2020 Salary: $300,000
Job description: Coaching the quarterbacks.
Connections to Meyer: He's his son-in-law.
Overview: Married to Meyer's daughter Nicki and father to two of Meyer's grandkids, Dennis was recently promoted to become Ohio State's QBs coach for Justin Fields after spending his initial time at OSU in a quality control role. Per the OSU website, Ohio State HC Ryan Day said of Dennis upon the promotion in January 2020: “Corey is a talented young coach and someone I’ve worked closely alongside for three seasons. He knows our system, and he knows how we teach. I think he is going to allow us to develop some continuity in the quarterback room, and that’s important. I also believe that he is going to be an excellent recruiter for us.”

I'll also give OB a mini plug. Ketch deserves to get a lot of shit but the good part of OB is the work Alex Dunlap and Dustin McComas do 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Why not virtual?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those are so much more awkward

Yeah after 4-6 hours of zoom calls the last thing I want to do is have another one called a virtual happy hour. No thanks.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

man Covid is really ruining the happy hour I want to sponsor. 

A big cooler full of booze, chairs in a circle 6ft apart with a fire pit in the middle in Zilker, hand sanitizer and a bunch of drunk Surly’s what could go wrong??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, TexasEd said:

Why not virtual?

well right now the site is running on ~96 cores and ~384GB of RAM between the servers. We have done over 1M pageviews since Monday. This site is way too big for a few VM's to handle it, because the VM's would be the size of servers.

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

A big cooler full of booze, chairs in a circle 6ft apart with a fire pit in the middle in Zilker, hand sanitizer and a bunch of drunk Surly’s what could go wrong??

That sounds like an actual frat boy circle jerk. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

was talking to blacklab about this earlier today. It's starting to feel a lot like the good ole days. Lots of people coming back home to roost.

I sure do miss @Machinator though. 

I looked at my posting stats and shook my head thinking that I had 10X as many posts over there in the same time period.  So either I'm more productive at work or more apathetic about football.  

I took a nap through the ISU game because I wasn't interested enough to look at the starting time and I was bored outta my mind at my inlaws.  That's apathy.

This has me texting buddies and interested again.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
9 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:
unpossible and what exactly are you talking about with twitter?

"Your" Twitter page has no idea about this website loser. Or, prove me wrong and call me out on your Twitter page and I'll concede.

oh, you think I am the real Zach Smith?  well, in that case I am.

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Starting to feel a bit bad about all the copy/pasting and most of it is not really new but here's one thing that I found interesting given that Urban has requested control over an associate AD. Stamper has probably been mentioned somewhere in these 290 pages but it's a new name to me. I also didn't realize that Corey Dennis was a Ryan Day promotion. That makes me feel better about bringing him along since it wouldn't just be straight nepotism.

Reveal hidden contents

Speaking of those whom Meyer would look to bring with him, I was given five names on the list of people within the Ohio State program that Meyer would most likely approach if he takes the Texas job. I gave the list of names to Alex Dunlap, and he compiled the following snapshot of each person (see below).

Ryan Stamper

Current title
Job description: "To be an administrative resource to players in all areas of their development."
Connections to Meyer: "Stamp" came to OSU with Meyer and was eventually promoted internally to his current position in 2018. He played under Meyer at Florida and was a two-time team captain and second-team All-SEC linebacker.
Overview: Stamper, who was a police officer in Florida for almost three years after Gator graduation and joined Meyer's first Ohio State staff in 2012, is obviously someone Meyer would have interest in bringing along for any new opportunities. Stamper is highly thought of and intimately involved with the players in the program, setting up everything from job fairs to guest speakers, and surely also helping behind the scenes when "family issues" come up that are best handled within the program.

Mickey Marotti

Current title
Connections to Meyer: Very strong. They were graduate assistants together and worked together off and on before reuniting on Meyer's first UF staff in 2005. He then joined Meyer in 2012 at Ohio State.
Overview: One of the best developers in a strength and conditioning program in the nation. Do a quick Google search for "best S&C coaches" and look how many lists Marotti pops up on. He's been part of three national championships with Meyer, developed 22 All-Americans and eight first-round draft picks during seven years at UF, then 19 more first-team All-Americans at Ohio State since 2012, including an outrageous 12 first-round draft picks over that same stint.

Brian Voltolini

Current
Job description: "Voltolini has oversight responsibilities for all areas of the football program’s departments, staff and operations. In addition, he is the liaison with the compliance, SASSO, communications and business offices, and in his new position he will oversee coaches/staff contracts and work with the department’s legal and human resources team. He will also work with and maintain consistent contact with coach/staff agents and representatives."
Connections to Meyer: Voltolini worked under Meyer in various roles (starting as a video-room plebe at Bowling Green) for the 18 years leading up to Meyer's retirement at Ohio State, not counting the one year Meyer took off between UF and Ohio State.
Overview: Voltolini has a bit of a do-it-all background with everything from video editing and web development to payroll and HR. His catch-all title and responsibilities over "operations" indicate a guy with his hands in many football departments and would likely be someone Meyer would want on staff to cater to his preferences about things like recruiting event budgets, different waivers and operational red tape that go along with camps, social media oversight, downstream hires and interviews and a lot in between. Dude must have eight arms.

Mark Pantoni

Current
Job description: Basically, the guy in charge of recruiting. "Pantoni supervises all aspects of the program’s administrative duties for recruiting, including film evaluations, on-campus official and unofficial visits, the social media/creative team, travel and roster management."
Connections to Meyer: Was a recruiting coordinator under Meyer for five seasons at Florida before leaving to join Meyer's OSU staff in 2012.
Overview: Pantoni has been responsible for the evaluation and recruitment of all those players that were developed into All-Americans and NFL studs. Here's a little intel on Pantoni from a fellow player personnel director who has both worked alongside Pantoni and also been in position to have to recruit against him:

"He's considered the godfather of directors of player personnel. It's a young man's game to relate to these kids, and even though he's a little older than the typical DPP (Pantoni turned 39 this year), no one gets across to these guys like Pantoni. He's a due-diligence guy who knows what his coaches like, and he evaluates and recruits on that basis. His 2016 NFL draft class was the holy grail."

For those unfamiliar, the 2016 Ohio State NFL draft class truly was "the holy grail" and unlike anything anyone has ever seen. The Buckeyes had five first-round picks that year, and 11 of the first 102 picks were from Ohio State.

First Round

Second Round
Note: Seven picks in the first two rounds ties NFL Draft record (USC in 2008 & Tennessee in 2000)

Third Round

Fourth Round

Corey Dennis

Current
Overview: Married to Meyer's daughter Nicki and father to two of Meyer's grandkids, Dennis was recently promoted to become Ohio State's QBs coach for Justin Fields after spending his initial time at OSU in a quality control role. Per the OSU website, Ohio State HC Ryan Day said of Dennis upon the promotion in January 2020: “Corey is a talented young coach and someone I’ve worked closely alongside for three seasons. He knows our system, and he knows how we teach. I think he is going to allow us to develop some continuity in the quarterback room, and that’s important. I also believe that he is going to be an excellent recruiter for us.”

I'll also give OB a mini plug. Ketch deserves to get a lot of shit but the good part of OB is the work Alex Dunlap and Dustin McComas do 

Kind of makes our operation look pretty thin.

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ryan Stamper

Current title

Mickey Marotti

Current title

Brian Voltolini

Current

Mark Pantoni

Current

First Round

Second Round

Third Round

Fourth Round

Corey Dennis

Current

Man, we can do some great things with those salaries if that's a sticking point at all.

21 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Summer 2014, right before my (first) senior year.  Found my shitfaced self at the Contigo bar receiving an unsolicited pitch from a hipster tech type on how I should put whatever I had into Bitcoin.  I took a look, and realized I had the funds to buy exactly 1.0 bitcoin (not a very good humblebrag).  I passed.  Timing wasn't right :/

Lmao, fucking contigo

Just now, Nicole44 said:

If y’all have a happy hour I will go. No bullshit. 

I’d go but it would most likely be in the spring. No way I’m catching covid in the last 3-4 months of this shit show after avoiding it for 8 months.

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Sorry but long post incoming as I need to type this shit out to clear my mind.  Let's just say I have been part of coaching searches before in a previous life.  Let's walk through the real time line that has occurred.  First we have to assume that CDC know what the fuck he is doing.  I am willing to go with that for now.  If that is the case then at some point during the year CDC realized that Herman sucks as a football coach and needed to go (not sure when he came to this conclusion but it happened).  At this point any good AD is going to figure out who the best option is and reach out.  He won't reach out directly to the coach but pick up the phone and call that coaches agent.  In this scenario, CDC decided the obvious coach to go try and get is Urban so he picks up the phone and tells Urban's agent that he is going to be making a change and Urban is the number one choice if he is interested.  The agent will then say let me check with my client to see if he is interested in coaching again.  At this point if Urban isn't interested he tells his agent to tell CDC thanks but I am happy where I am at.  End of story and on to Plan B.  That apparently did not happen so we have to assume that Meyers agent came back and said, "my guy is interested".  Now CDC either gives the agent the number that UT is looking to pay or says to the agent, "what is it going to take".  The agent discusses numbers with Urban and comes back with what they want.  We apparently agreed to the finances.  CDC would then ask the agent what else Urban needs and that is where Urban, through his agent, tells us he needs total control of the football program, money for key assistants, new facilities, hookers and blow, whatever.  It looks like CDC ran that by Hartzell/Regents and he let Urban's agent know we agree to that also.   During all of this the only way this leaks is if CDC went to some BMD's to get the cash and they went out leaked the information.  I am not sure that happened this time.  Maybe it did but it doesn't seem like that happened.  All parties are on the same page and then they agree to meet.  This is where you have CDC, Hartzell, East TX regent fly to meet with Urban, his wife and his agent.  I find it hard to believe all of this information is leaking if Urban hasn't already agreed to the deal.  Maybe he had a last minute change of heart but at this point of the negotiations its a done deal.  All that is left is the planning and timing of announcing firings and hiring's which is where we are at.  Now if it didn't go down this way then CDC fucked it up and should be on the same train out of Austin as Herman but I really don't think he did.

Didn’t read but you got my hook em cause I assume it’s good

Edited by RGBIII
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic