Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

I don't know Rhule went from losing to G5's in his first year to running the table in the Big 12 within 2 years. I would sit around for that kind of transition.

I’d love to see the “patience” on this board after loosing to a couple G5s in year one. 

I highly doubt Urban wants to move to Norman, OK.  He made his name at Utah, jumped to Florida to win titles, and then went to OSU because it was the state that he and his wife were born and raised in.  He's got the easy life on TV in LA or at game sites.  Notre Dame and USC are probably at the top of his list.  Maybe Miami or FSU if his wife really likes the beach, Texas and UGA might be options if he's looking for easy to recruit bluebloods in highly desirable places to live, and perhaps UCLA for the latter.

90% chance he's going to USC or the NFL if he gets back into coaching.  Why on earth would a coach who has won titles in 2 different programs choose Norman, OK over LA?

Edited by clapclapclap

10 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The only assumption I’m making is that your line in the sand would move if we were winning big. I don’t think there’s much daylight between Urban and Herman.

So your assumption is my moral code is fungible. And my response is Fuck You, it isn’t. 

the difference between Herman and Urban is that I don’t fucking know about Herman. I know about Urban. And that’s all the difference in the world. I’m perfectly fine firing the guy right now for Horny. I was also perfectly comfortable firing Mack Brown at his zenith. I dont think your profile of me is even remotely accurate. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

So your assumption is my moral code is fungible. And my response is Fuck You, it isn’t. 

the difference between Herman and Urban is that I don’t fucking know about Herman. I know about Urban. And that’s all the difference in the world. I’m perfectly fine firing the guy right now for Horny. I was also perfectly comfortable firing Mack Brown at his zenith. I dont think your profile of me is even remotely accurate. 

Would you want Herman fired for Horny if we were 10-0 and headed towards the playoffs?

i keep asking but can’t get answers...what are Meyer’s transgressions that make him unhireable? Z smith and a bunch of arrests on one of his Florida teams...is there more?

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Would you want Herman fired for Horny if we were 10-0 and headed towards the playoffs?

i keep asking but can’t get answers...what are Meyer’s transgressions that make him unhireable? Z smith and a bunch of arrests on one of his Florida teams...is there more?

I wanted Herman fired when he hired Horny. Yes. I’m coping with his continued presence on our roster but not in a healthy manor. He sold his soul and ours for a special teams coach who fucking sucks at coaching special teams. The only silver lining is that many big boosters also feel the same.

there’s more. But honestly, that’s enough for me. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wanted Herman fired when he hired Horny. Yes. I’m coping with his continued presence on our roster but not in a healthy manor. He sold his soul and ours for a special teams coach who fucking sucks at coaching special teams. The only silver lining is that many big boosters also feel the same.

there’s more. But honestly, that’s enough for me. 

I totally get that the Horny hire is a huge issue for you. I’m not comfortable with it either. But can you honestly say that if we were 10-0 and headed towards the playoffs you would want him fired and flush away success so that we could role the dice on someone else of stronger moral fiber? 

I totally get that the Horny hire is a huge issue for you. I’m not comfortable with it either. But can you honestly say that if we were 10-0 and headed towards the playoffs you would want him fired and flush away success so that we could role the dice on someone else of stronger moral fiber? 

Would I be banging the drum? Probably not. Like I said, I’m dealing with it, but not in a healthy manner. But there’s a difference imo, between keeping the shit I’ve already swallowed down and willingly swallowing more shit today just because I didn’t vomit eating shit and my moral code the first time. 

which is sort of my whole point in this thread. You willingly advocate for meyer, you’re permanently moving your moral compass lower. Don’t do it. The outraged people here wringing their hands to a comparison to Briles know it’s wrong, they’re just sick of losing. The process isn’t overnight, it’s a gradual erosion. Don’t become the Big 10 or Waco. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Would I be banging the drum? Probably not. Like I said, I’m dealing with it, but not in a healthy manner. But there’s a difference imo, between keeping the shit I’ve already swallowed down and willingly swallowing more shit today just because I didn’t vomit eating shit and my moral code the first time. 

Ok then we’re back to the belief that Urban is orders of magnitude scummier than Herman. How much daylight is there on that scale. If the x-axis is ability to win national championships and the y-axis is scumminess, where does each stand?

we know how massive the daylight is on the x-axis...how much separation is there on the y-axis? I honestly don’t know the answer to that question but the most ardent anti-Urban posters seem to think they are miles a part.

sidenote, if as you say there were boosters that weren’t happy with the Horny hire, they either swallowed their moral indignation in the hopes wins would follow (that pesky moral line in the sand I mention) or the common notion that these boosters are the real power brokers at Texas is completely wrong (meaning they couldn’t even prevent a lowly analyst or whatever he is from getting hired).

Ok then we’re back to the belief that Urban is orders of magnitude scummier than Herman. How much daylight is there on that scale. If the x-axis is ability to win national championships and the y-axis is scumminess, where does each stand?

we know how massive the daylight is on the x-axis...how much separation is there on the y-axis? I honestly don’t know the answer to that question but the most ardent anti-Urban posters seem to think they are miles a part.

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

sidenote, if as you say there were boosters that weren’t happy with the Horny hire, they either swallowed their moral indignation in the hopes wins would follow (that pesky moral line in the sand I mention) or the common notion that these boosters are the real power brokers at Texas is completely wrong (meaning they couldn’t even prevent a lowly analyst or whatever he is from getting hired).

No. Wrong mentality. I think Herman is scummy in ways I can live with (drugs, drinking, gambling, mild player paying). There’s plenty of reason to believe he has his own line at assault on women. I have a similar line. It’s present and distinct to me. 

Youre Inaccurately illustrating a booster dynamic. This isn’t Auburn. There’s no Bobby Lowder hiring and firing. Boosters express displeasure. Herman is given his leeway. When he fucks up he has no rope. thats what happened.   And it matters. It’s how things work at texas. Boosters broker power but there is a dance. 

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Team Urban.  All of college football is dirty and Urban isn't that bad (at least I think).  You high horse fuckers content with 7-5/6-6 bullshit and hiring spares, retreads, and G5 flavors of the month can get fucked.  

Normally I’m aligned with most of your posts. I like you as a board contributor, you’re a guy who's insight I value. 

urban is that bad. Saban is dirty. Debo is dirty. I’m ok with money dirty. My line is human rights dirty. Period. 

• Like 1

No. Wrong mentality. I think Herman is scummy in ways I can live with (drugs, drinking, gambling, mild player paying). There’s plenty of reason to believe he has his own line at assault on women. I have a similar line. It’s present and distinct to me. 

Ok, so the distinction is clear to you. The Horney hire was upsetting to you but you’ve learned to live with it, while the Zack Smith saga is inexcusable and positions your line in the sand.

I don’t know the entire ins and outs of the Smith saga, but I could make an argument that hiring someone that was unequivocally involved in an institutional coverup of systemic rape is a much bigger deal than someone who was involved in a violent relationship (one where one party of that relationship would show up to practice blacked out and trying to instigate a physical altercation with an employee).

This isn’t as black and white for me as it appears to be for you, I guess.

41 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

which is sort of my whole point in this thread. You willingly advocate for meyer, you’re permanently moving your moral compass lower. Don’t do it. The outraged people here wringing their hands to a comparison to Briles know it’s wrong, they’re just sick of losing. The process isn’t overnight, it’s a gradual erosion. Don’t become the Big 10 or Waco. 

You aren’t wrong, but again, do you really expect us to nail the next hire? I would love for you to explain in detail why you think Urban Meyer is such a bad guy, and why fox, and presumably ND and USC disagree with you. Like I said, if he said that he wanted to return to coaching today, there are several programs around the country that would fire their current coach to get his services. Why are our moral standards so much higher than theirs? Because we’re Texas? Like I said, there isn’t a recruit in the country right now that has seen us win. That we’re Texas shit has worn off. We need to start winning again to get it back. 

Also, do you really believe that we aren’t doing anything slimy and dishonest? This is college football, man. This isn’t the NFL. College football is a filthy business. I’m not sure if you agree with that or not, but it is. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Normally I’m aligned with most of your posts. I like you as a board contributor, you’re a guy who's insight I value. 

urban is that bad. Saban is dirty. Debo is dirty. I’m ok with money dirty. My line is human rights dirty. Period. 

But it isn’t. You learned to accept the Horney hire. What rights did those women have after having been raped by football players that were then protected by people like Casey Horney?

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Ok, so the distinction is clear to you. The Horney hire was upsetting to you but you’ve learned to live with it, while the Zack Smith saga is inexcusable and positions your line in the sand.

I don’t know the entire ins and outs of the Smith saga, but I could make an argument that hiring someone that was unequivocally involved in an institutional coverup of systemic rape is a much bigger deal than someone who was involved in a violent relationship (one where one party of that relationship would show up to practice blacked out and trying to instigate a physical altercation with an employee).

This isn’t as black and white for me as it appears to be for you, I guess.

Again, a mischaracterization. I haven’t learned to live with it. I am forced to deal with it. There’s a difference. 

Think of the US court system. It blows, but is there a reasonable doubt, versus no reasonable doubt? Meyer has no reasonable doubt. Don’t do it, period. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I like you too buddy.  We're just unaligned here.  No worries, there's no way we hire Urban anyway.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You aren’t wrong, but again, do you really expect us to nail the next hire? I would love for you to explain in detail why you think Urban Meyer is such a bad guy, and why fox, and presumably ND and USC disagree with you. Like I said, if he said that he wanted to return to coaching today, there are several programs around the country that would fire their current coach to get his services. Why are our moral standards so much higher than theirs? Because we’re Texas? Like I said, there isn’t a recruit in the country right now that has seen us win. That we’re Texas shit has worn off. We need to start winning again to get it back. 

Also, do you really believe that we aren’t doing anything slimy and dishonest? This is college football, man. This isn’t the NFL. College football is a filthy business. I’m not sure if you agree with that or not, but it is. 

I mean, everything in your post is valid. College football is filthy. But there are degrees of filthy. Why are our moral standards higher? Because I fucking want them to be higher. 

I don’t care about the moral standards of other programs. I don’t want to be aTm. I don’t want to be Louisville. I don’t want to be every big 10 school not named northwestern. And winning just isn’t that important to me. I’ve lived the past decade watching a losing team and school I love. I can live with shitty. I have lived with it. I can’t live with Harvey Weinstein. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

But it isn’t. You learned to accept the Horney hire. What rights did those women have after having been raped by football players that were then protected by people like Casey Horney?

No fucker. I haven’t accepted it. I’m simply aware that my yells won’t get him fired. I don’t accept shit. I make me a list, I check it twice, and wreak havoc whenever I can. 

I don’t “accept” our banking system either, or our political state. I am powerless but I do what I can. But don’t you fucking dare conflate “unable to enact change” with “accepting.” Fuck that, and fuck you. I guess Oscar Schindler just accepted and was complicit with Nazi Germany. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, everything in your post is valid. College football is filthy. But there are degrees of filthy. Why are our moral standards higher? Because I fucking want them to be higher. 

I don’t care about the moral standards of other programs. I don’t to be aTm. I don’t want to be Louisville. I don’t want to be every big 10 school not named northwestern. And winning just isn’t that important to me. I’ve lived the past decade watching a losing team and school I love. I can live with shitty. I have lived with it. I can’t live with Harvey Weinstein. 

I guess that’s where the disconnect is. Maybe I just don’t understand fully why he’s such a bad guy compared to others that are winning. Maybe I just don’t understand why you would think comparing him to a guy that went out of his way to cover up 50+ rape allegations is a fair comparison. Maybe I’m just naive to what he did, exactly. I’ll admit that. But you still haven’t explained it, IMO. Nobody has. 

and @XYZ is right. And it’s sad. That’s why Kirk Herbstreit called this place a cesspool. And he’s right, to a degree.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I guess that’s where the disconnect is. Maybe I just don’t understand fully why he’s such a bad guy. Maybe I just don’t understand why you would think comparing him to a guy that went out of his way to cover up 50+ rape allegations is a fair comparison. Maybe I’m just naive to what he did, exactly. I’ll admit that. But you still haven’t explained it, IMO. Nobody has. 

and @XYZ is right. And it’s sad. That’s why Kirk Herbstreit called this place a cesspool. And he’s right, to a degree.

Then educate yourself. Hit the zach smith thread. Urban knew his hand picked guy repeatedly beat the shit out of his wife and didn’t give a fuck. And he cared about it being hidden, not about fixing the actual problem. You want to say 50 rape allegations are bad at arms length, but your best buddy and Nextdoor neighbor beats the fuck out of his wife is ok, and he should get a raise and promoted? Repeatedly? Well that’s your choice. My choice is fuck no. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

No fucker. I haven’t accepted it. I’m simply aware that my yells won’t get him fired. I don’t accept shit. I make me a list, I check it twice, and wreak havoc whenever I can. 

I don’t “accept” our banking system either, or our political state. I am powerless but I do what I can. But don’t you fucking dare conflate “unable to enact change” with “accepting.” Fuck that, and fuck you. I guess Oscar Schindler just accepted and was complicit with Nazi Germany. 

Oh good lord...can you text CTJ and bring him into this shitshow? All we’re missing is his histrionics here...

look man, going back to the quadrant. You seem to think Herman sits somewhere on the y-axis with Horney but Smith puts Urban much further north on that axis. I can’t find that much daylight there. But there’s a metric fuckton of daylight on the x-axis, that’s for sure.

Ok cool, hook’em.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Oh good lord...can you text CTJ and bring him into this shitshow? All we’re missing is his histrionics here...

look man, going back to the quadrant. You seem to think Herman sits somewhere on the y-axis with Horney but Smith puts Urban much further north on that axis. I can’t find that much daylight there. But there’s a metric fuckton of daylight on the x-axis, that’s for sure.

Ok cool, hook’em.

The game is, I don’t accept one over the other. They’re all shit. And we aren’t winning so why are any of us even engaging in a hypothetical morality conversation anyway? Fire the loser And piece of shit, don’t hire the fucking piece of shit. Case closed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Then educate yourself. Hit the zach smith thread. Urban knew his hand picked guy repeatedly eat the shit out of his wife and didn’t give a fuck. And he cared about it being hidden, not about fixing the actual problem...

Hey man, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Then educate yourself. Hit the zach smith thread. Urban knew his hand picked guy repeatedly beat the shit out of his wife and didn’t give a fuck. And he cared about it being hidden, not about fixing the actual problem. You want to say 50 rape allegations are bad at arms length, but your best buddy and Nextdoor neighbor beats the fuck out of his wife is ok, and he should get a raise and promoted? Repeatedly? Well that’s your choice. My choice is fuck no. 

It sure seems like Herman knew about it too, swept it under a rug, and brought it to light when we were battling for the same recruits (correct me if I’m wrong, because I could be wrong). 

I don’t know, man. I’m just sick of being the biggest running joke in college football. I’m sick of hiring coaches that haven’t proven anything at a big time program just to see them wilt under expectations. I’m at the point where I’m willing to lower my moral standards if it guarantees us being “back”. I really am. And maybe that says more about me than it does about anything else, but I don’t think I’m in the minority anymore. This shit sucks, and we’re on the verge of never being able to get that magic back. Like, I think that’s a realistic outcome over the next 10 years. 

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The game is, I don’t accept one over the other. They’re all shit. And we aren’t winning so why are any of us even engaging in a hypothetical morality conversation anyway? Fire the loser And piece of shit, don’t hire the fucking piece of shit. Case closed. 

We’ve already crossed the moral rubicon. And you know what, when we beat the dog piss out of Georgia in the Sugar Bowl, Casey Horney never crossed my mind. I never once thought of that win as somehow devalued because of his presence in the program. That win felt great. I want to feel that more. Maybe that makes me a bad person, I don’t know.

But you want to go further down the y-axis with a complete unknown on the x-axis. I’m content staying right around where we are on the y-axis while shooting as far right on the x-axis as is possible.

Why are all you guys assuming @SydneyCarton is okay with one (Herman/Horney) and not the other (Urban/Smith).  Seems pretty clear he's not okay with either.  Granted, his hands are (presumably) tied on both the keeping of one or the possible hiring of the other because he doesn't wield enough power to do a damn thing about it.  But this doesn't have to be a one or the other choice for him.  He can choose neither.  This doesn't seems that hard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Why are all you guys assuming @SydneyCarton is okay with one (Herman/Horney) and not the other (Urban/Smith).  Seems pretty clear he's not okay with either.  Granted, his hands are (presumably) tied on both the keeping of one or the possible hiring of the other because he doesn't wield enough power to do a damn thing about it.  But this doesn't have to be a one or the other choice for him.  He can choose neither.  This doesn't seems that hard.

My entire point is I doubt if we were 10-0 and headed towards a playoff run he would want Herman fired due to moral transgressions. There’s a spectrum of sliminess we all, individually, are willing to accept. Typically we slide along that spectrum based on winning. I guess I just don’t see much of a difference between Herman and Urban in regards to sliminess. But maybe I’m just saying that out of desperation.

16 hours ago, TriStone said:

Yeah, we should just accept mediocrity as long as the coach is a nice man.  That's not fucking stupid at all.  Fuck you, and your mom.

Who said anything about keeping Herman... or mediocrity?  Saban and Meyer arent the only two coaches who are winning ball games these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

And by "cared about it being hidden", you mean he actively covered shit up and lied and "forgot" and retired twice due to "health issues". This is the type of fuckery that leads to Penn State type of situations. I have zero doubt he would turn a blind eye to that type of situation.

• Like 1

What are the chances that Meyer returns to coaching this off-season as opposed to next offseason (January 2020 v. January 2021)?  It seems highly unlikely that someone like Urban Meyer would get his hire green-lit by this current Board of Regents.  Jan/Feb 2021 is a different story. 

Edited by Lobo

16 hours ago, Chad said:

Alabama is squeaky clean.

So is Clemson.

UGA is headed up by a Saban pupil y'all reckon they're a bunch of angels too?

The Ogre has always been sketchy on the recruiting trail.

Franklin wasn't involved in anything sketchy at Vandy.

For those of you believing Herman is some kind of angel he's not, pull your heads out of your collective asses. He was best friends with Zach fucking Smith, the same goof y'all constantly laugh at. The only difference between Herman and those other coaches is that they actually you know.....fucking win football games? If Herman's dirt became public y'all wouldn't want anything to do with him because he's scum and he sucks as a football coach.

Oh like the multiple rumors on the Iowa state boards of him knocking up a college student there and then paying for her abortion while being married and employed?  Herman should write Paul Rhoads a big fucking check for hiding a lot of his off the field behaviors during his time there.  He continued this behavior at tOSU but this time with his BFF Zach Smith.  You’d think this would have stopped once he got a HC gig in Houston...  the people here with the moral high ground do realize we hired a petty piece of shit HC right?  He may not be Briles, but Herman is far from a saint.  I have no doubt Zach Smith has shit on him.  The only reason he hasn’t released it publicly is because it would hurt Ohio state more than Texas bc all that shit happened during his time there under Meyer. 

Edited by victory88

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Team Urban.  All of college football is dirty and Urban isn't that bad (at least I think).  You high horse fuckers content with 7-5/6-6 bullshit and hiring spares, retreads, and G5 flavors of the month can get fucked.  

Either that or accept that you don't want to compete at that level, just be Cal. That's what I think we are evolving into long-term.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic