Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What are the chances that Meyer returns to coaching this off-season as opposed to next offseason (January 2020 v. January 2021)?  It seems highly unlikely that someone like Urban Meyer would get his hire green-lit by this current Board of Regents.  Jan/Feb 2021 is a different story. 

All depends on what jobs are available.  Here are the odds best I can tell...

Realistically, there are probably only 8 or so jobs Urban would even consider today (the 8 BBs plus maaaaaybe a couple others).  If any of those 8 or so are open this off-season, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t jump at one of them.

USC is most likely, although Helton may do just enough to not get fired this year. Especially given their current environment with all the admissions scandal shit, they may not want any more rocking boats right now.

One of the other 7 is probably only available if their coach jumps to the NFL.  OUsux seems to be the only real likely candidate on that list.

Then you’ve maybe got a couple other possibilities but most seem like long shots and I couldn’t even really tell you who they’d be.  FSU?  I’d say pretty doubtful.

I don’t think he’s fucking with any of this again unless he feels very strongly that he can A) win a national championship wherever it is he goes and B) do it very quickly.  What would he have to gain otherwise?  And again, only about 8 or so schools that check those 2 boxes.  Texas is one of them.

The biggest visible downside to Urban is the state he left Florida in after his departure. It reeked of him losing control of an already volatile locker room. However, this year's tOSU makes him seem less dangerous to the long term well being of a football program. While sitting at 5-2, with losses to LSU and OU, I honestly though he was far from the best idea. After watching the last four weeks of futility and losing hope for this staff to turn things around (without oversight), I'm much more open to the idea of gambling on a guy like Urban. Once again, the concern would still be the state of the program after he leaves.

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The biggest visible downside to Urban is the state he left Florida in after his departure. It reeked of him losing control of an already volatile locker room. However, this year's tOSU makes him seem less dangerous to the long term well being of a football program. While sitting at 5-2, with losses to LSU and OU, I honestly though he was far from the best idea. After watching the last four weeks of futility and losing hope for this staff to turn things around (without oversight), I'm much more open to the idea of gambling on a guy like Urban. Once again, the concern would still be the state of the program after he leaves.

In this hypothetical post-Urban world, are we coming off 1 or 2 national championships?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Fuck it, give urban the jimbo deal

Bet he would take 5/45M

Rhule is looking like a damn good coach.  Would he bolt for the NFL?   That's what a lot of people think.  If he started winning championships, UT is one of the handful of places that can pay more than even high paying NFL gigs.  

Leaving for the NFL probably depends on how a coach feels about recruiting.   Many aspects of the college job make it an "easier" job than NFL, but this is probably the biggest difference maker and I have no idea how Rhule feels about that year round aspect of the job.   

Hermans extension was stupid considering his contract structure with the 250k annual raises, probably should have waited to see year 3 trajectory or maybe a 1 year extension would have sufficed.   He basically got a $13M bonus for winning the sugar bowl. A rational approach is fOSU going from $7.5M for Urban down to 4.5M for Day (he's going to get a deserved raise) Or OU going from the giant bag of dicks down to $3.8M for Riley to start (also won hardware, CFP appearance and subsequent earned raise) 

11 hours ago, XYZ said:

I don’t think Urban would take the Texas job. Same as Saban. They understand that there’s too much meddling by the BMDs.

Haha. Not sure if Urban would take the job, and saban is fine where he's at.  Saban would have taken the job 6 years ago, back when he was still looking at another decade of stacking his legacy and pallets of cash.  

So many programs have boosters worse than ours.   Places like UH and until very recently OSU have a primary booster who is all up in your shit.   One of the reasons Saban was willing to change jobs was booster relations.   You would think winning 3 MNCs in 4 years would buy you the moon, but 2010 happened and he lost to SCe, LSU and Barn, in the same season!  Gasp.  

https://thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/urban-meyer-reacts-texas-loss-iowa-state?fbclid=IwAR1rWMKUuv-SLpmIOswjKh0dLxIgOK6G9j5GOEHftWYy8Pn1nnrDyLYt7z4

There was a time when a game like that would have been a ‘stop the presses’ upset,” Meyer said, via 247Sports. “It wasn’t (today). Iowa State was picked to win. You watched the game, and Iowa State may have been the better team. Texas … they’re recruiting well. A little bit like (Michigan), you might need to look under the hood and find out what’s going on, because (that ending) shouldn’t happen.

I trust one man to straighten out this clown show.

hi-res-94d1c4a81809f4a8039d6cb702f9ac66_

Come on, CDC. From 10-4 to what will likely amount to 6-6. Get rid of the G5 one hit wonder, why delay the inevitable? It's been a decade of misery. Herman won't move on from Beck, Orlando and the rest of these flunkies on the staff and history will repeat itself.

I am tired of getting my ass kicked on a daily basis by the likes of TCU, Iowa State, and Baylor.  It's been a decade and we will have to play our best to  finish 7-5 and enjoy another Houston bowl.

If it makes people feel any better put a morality clause in his contract but go get Urban Meyer and get this thing turned around.  Charlie had three seasons and by my count this is three seasons for Herman.  Outside of the Sugar bowl win it feels like we are right back to where we were when Charlie took over.

Offer Urban $4 Million as a base pay with a $1 Million bonus for winning the conference championship and an additional $2 Million for making the playoffs with an additional $2 Million for winning the championship. Double these bonus numbers for each National Championship he wins.

If the team ends up in a non-NY Bowl Game deduce $500 K from his salary. A loss to Oklahoma would require the loss of one of his fingers.

• Like 4

Just now, F250 said:

Offer Urban $4 Million as a base pay with a $1 Million bonus for winning the conference championship and an additional $2 Million for making the playoffs with an additional $2 Million for winning the championship. Double these bonus numbers for each National Championship he wins.

If the team ends up in a non-NY Bowl Game deduce $500 K from his salary. A loss to Oklahoma would require the loss of one of his fingers.

Why the fuck would Urban come out of retirement for 4 million a year? 

On 11/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, Landomatic said:

All depends on what jobs are available.  Here are the odds best I can tell...

Realistically, there are probably only 8 or so jobs Urban would even consider today (the 8 BBs plus maaaaaybe a couple others).  If any of those 8 or so are open this off-season, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t jump at one of them.

USC is most likely, although Helton may do just enough to not get fired this year. Especially given their current environment with all the admissions scandal shit, they may not want any more rocking boats right now.

One of the other 7 is probably only available if their coach jumps to the NFL.  OUsux seems to be the only real likely candidate on that list.

Then you’ve maybe got a couple other possibilities but most seem like long shots and I couldn’t even really tell you who they’d be.  FSU?  I’d say pretty doubtful.

I don’t think he’s fucking with any of this again unless he feels very strongly that he can A) win a national championship wherever it is he goes and B) do it very quickly.  What would he have to gain otherwise?  And again, only about 8 or so schools that check those 2 boxes.  Texas is one of them.

So.  Root for USC.  Cool.  I'm on it.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic