Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

32 minutes ago, Loather said:

I have OU fans in my family. They don't even taunt me after a loss anymore. It would just be dog piling. We're getting to be like the loser in the family that's used to being the zero, it no longer bothers them to be humiliated or to need other people's help, their* past even trying to take care of themselves, when you see them you try to be respectful so as not to be cruel, but inside you have nothing but contempt, and are just glad you have never sunk that low

This is no longer about winning games or winning championships, this is about not tarnishing the university, It's about having some self respect, It's about having a football team show up on Saturday that doesn't embarrass themselves, and make no mistake that sh** Show yesterday should embarrass you

The hubris here is thinking you can humiliate yourselves for ten years running and assume it's just a matter of time before you make it back to prominence because "we're Texas"

What a bunch of buffoons

We need to hire Urban Meyer because he will kick people's asses, and everyone will respect us for doing that regardless of what they say

*they're

• Like 2

Also if CDC pulls this off, and it works out well,  he’s a hero forever here.  If he pulls it off and Urban can’t right the ship either, well the same fate would happen in regard to CDC.

I just think Meyer could get it done in a shorter period of time than others.

And..... don’t let anyone fool you about the sports vs education thing either.  Many people that go to major colleges for Academics, also want good sports teams.  Or they lean towards the school with better sports teams when there are identical majors and costs involved.

Edited by Rip76
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m fine with the sentiment and think those that are critical of Saban/Meyer - particularly Saban - are retarded. But Dabo and Chizik were unproven and arguably Jimbo and Mack too. 

Reading comprehension, dude.  Work on it.  Dabo, Chizik, Jimbo and Mack were unproven.  And only one of those is a blue blood program (aka all the big shit that comes with a blue blood school).

Which leaves Mack...20 years ago.  That formula doesn’t seem to work anymore.  Or hasn’t for 20 years.

The formula for a program like UT is spelled out in crayon right before us.  And in order for it to work, it takes a proven coach at a college football behemoth like UT.  Apparently it’s the special ingredient that is really really hard to find.  And there just happens to be one available right fucking now.  Hire Urban.

Urban Meyer wouldn't call a time out down by 21 with 5 seconds remaining to score a TD. Herman is truly embarrassing and inept. Meyer would shape the 2020 team into something respectable, 10-2 sounds about right. Urban recruited some premier players from the state of Texas to play for him in Ohio, can you imagine the recruiting classes he'd sign in Austin? Kids would be lining up to play for a 3x National Championship winner who finishes in the Top 10 year after year. He's been a bad ass coach at every stop. He tore up the mid-major ranks and carried that success into the SEC and Big 10.

Edited by Chad
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Urban does seem to make the most sense, but I'd need someone to convince me he wouldn't step out in an unexpected stress/medical reason.  

I wouldn’t expect him to stay long but if we had a few successful seasons in a row and were in NC contention, it would be easier for the following coach to maintain than build it up.

• Like 2

Urban does seem to make the most sense, but I'd need someone to convince me he wouldn't step out in an unexpected stress/medical reason.  

We don’t need him to stay 10 years. Get it turned around, win a NC in year 2-3 and then he can walk away. There are no other good options out there this year.

I remember ou going through this shit aka “decade of shame” in the 90’s after they had to dump Switzer. Gardere is still throwing TD’s against those shitty teams. 

They started with Gibbs, tried a once proven but now inhebriated Smellsofburbon. And finally to close out the decade with John Blake (a real gem offered up by Switzer). Blake, who you may remember. Orchestrated that fine  73-21 effort that allowed the fanbase to realize....they were proper fucked.

Until they landed Stoops they were on life support as a program. And ou did what we did, and what everyone seems to do. Go after the hot name, and hope you strike gold. And for whatever reason those that turn out better than good, always have some shit in their closet. 

It was more fun watching them go through it. And unlike 25 years ago. Hiring coaches is a crap shoot that costs big money if you get it wrong.

There isn't an available coach with a better resume than this :

urbanmeyer.jpg

Some of y'all are acting like he's going to leave Texas with an SMU style death penalty. Naw......UF and Ohio St were never under any NCAA sanctions after he stepped down. I'm good with Urban coaching Texas for a short span of 5 years if it results in a NC and some conference championships along the way. Zach Smith won't be a part of his staff, that's irrelevant. You know damn well with the disdain Urban has towards Herman he'd love nothing more than to succeed Herman and begin winning with his team as a big fuck you to MENSA.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Chad said:

There isn't an available coach with a better resume than this :

urbanmeyer.jpg

Some of y'all are acting like he's going to leave Texas with an SMU style death penalty. Naw......UF and Ohio St were never under any NCAA sanctions after he stepped down. I'm good with Urban coaching Texas for a short span of 5 years if it results in a NC and some conference championships along the way. Zach Smith won't be a part of his staff, that's irrelevant. You know damn well with the disdain Urban has towards Herman he'd love nothing more than to succeed Herman and begin winning with his team as a big fuck you to MENSA.

Only one undefeated season.  Pass

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Jesus. This is what we’ve fallen to? Receiving pity from a meth head double-wide living sooner?

Not surprising.  My OU relatives are not even shit-talking anymore.  It's turned into "seriously, what the fuck guys, are you going to get your shit together or what?"

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not surprising.  My OU relatives are not even shit-talking anymore.  It's turned into "seriously, what the fuck guys, are you going to get your shit together or what?"

This. My ou buddies are of the same ilk. It’s so sickening.

Mike Leach is awesome....

At other schools where we can laugh from afar. Don't get me wrong I loved the fact that he thought a class at Wassu but I think Wassu is the perfect spot for him. He gets to be him and they are largely happy so he should stick around. 

15 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Nope, thanks to that ridiculous extension we needlessly gave him in May. We’re stuck with him. 

Dude that extension means shit when it comes to keeping/firing him.  You know that I hope.  I think he probably will get another year but it won’t be because of a few measly million dollars that would be a drop in the bucket to pay off and would be largely offset by losses in revenue from more sucking and opportunity loss from vast improvements.

This will not be a financial decision and anyone with half a clue how all this shit works knows that.  It will be a political decision.

We’re wanting to hire another one of Meyers ex-coordinators as our HC? I guess we’re hoping the third time is a charm? 

My main question about Whittingham is, why has he been in Utah for so long if he’s the next great head coach?
Being one of Urb's ex-coordinators isn't a criteria. It just happens to be that Whittingham is a hell of a coach and used to work for Urb.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic