Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If CDC wants the Dabo formula to happen, then after hiring an OC & DC, he’s also going to need to find a church to purchase 5 star talent every year.

Well, I think God is a Longhorn, sunsets.   Can we not form a church based on that belief?  And great joy is to be had on Saturdays watching our congregation playing football, all expenses and family paid for of course.  Tax exempt as well.

3 hours ago, Chad said:

There isn't an available coach with a better resume than this :

urbanmeyer.jpg

Some of y'all are acting like he's going to leave Texas with an SMU style death penalty. Naw......UF and Ohio St were never under any NCAA sanctions after he stepped down. I'm good with Urban coaching Texas for a short span of 5 years if it results in a NC and some conference championships along the way. Zach Smith won't be a part of his staff, that's irrelevant. You know damn well with the disdain Urban has towards Herman he'd love nothing more than to succeed Herman and begin winning with his team as a big fuck you to MENSA.

That's pretty incredible when you look at it, 17 years as a HC, only twice has he lost 4 or 5 games.   2 perfect seasons and 6 seasons with only 1 loss.  Basically half his career as HC.  

So Herman has 5 years, 4 of them with 4 or more lossses?  Yeah, he's not the guy.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Whatever said:
12 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:
We’re wanting to hire another one of Meyers ex-coordinators as our HC? I guess we’re hoping the third time is a charm? 

My main question about Whittingham is, why has he been in Utah for so long if he’s the next great head coach?

Being one of Urb's ex-coordinators isn't a criteria. It just happens to be that Whittingham is a hell of a coach and used to work for Urb.

A hell of a coach at a mid-major G5 program who used to work for Urb, huh?  What could possibly go wrong?

Hire that guy...again.

That's pretty incredible when you look at it, 17 years as a HC, only twice has he lost 4 or 5 games.   2 perfect seasons and 6 seasons with only 1 loss.  Basically half his career as HC.  
So Herman has 5 years, 4 of them with 4 or more lossses?  Yeah, he's not the guy.  

With 3 national titles, he’s arguably one of the top 5 NCAA coaches of all time imo.

26 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

A hell of a coach at a mid-major G5 program who used to work for Urb, huh?  What could possibly go wrong?

Hire that guy...again.

He's about to win a P5 league and is the best hope of keeping OU out of the playoffs this year.  If he was 10 years younger he'd be the guy I want.

56 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Dude that extension means shit when it comes to keeping/firing him.  You know that I hope.  I think he probably will get another year but it won’t be because of a few measly million dollars that would be a drop in the bucket to pay off and would be largely offset by losses in revenue from more sucking and opportunity loss from vast improvements.

This will not be a financial decision and anyone with half a clue how all this shit works knows that.  It will be a political decision.

This.

the buyout is the easy part, it's just money and it's ready to go.  

To put that in perspective for surlyites, say the buyout is 20k. How long do you think we could raise that buyout here?  How many on here whould go ahead and write that check themselves?

Politics.  No c/r

35 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Of all the reasons to fire the guy that would be the dumbest, Darrell Royal lost 4 or more in 4 of his first 5, Jimmy Johnson lost 4 or more his first 6 years. I'm sure the list is pretty long for this.

14 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Of all the reasons to fire the guy that would be the dumbest, Darrell Royal lost 4 or more in 4 of his first 5, Jimmy Johnson lost 4 or more his first 6 years. I'm sure the list is pretty long for this.

This isn't the 1950s or 1980s. The only two recent head coaches to not win an MNC in his first 4 seasons at their respective programs was Dabo and Mack. In his first 3, add Jimbo Fisher and Saban just at LSU to that list.  Saban at Bama, Urban at Florida and Ohio State, Jim Tressel, Larry Coker, Bob Stoops, Lester F'ing Miles, and Pete Carroll all did it in 3 or under. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

He seems to do fine in the pac

Really?  Because I’m looking at his hands and I don’t see many rings.  I see a 60 year old guy who’s been a head coach for damn near 20 years with no P5 rings.

Edited by Landomatic

Well, the Dabo trope is also silly as he had 9 wins his first full year after winning the job, a down year at 6-7, a bounce back 3rd year at 10-4, and then double digit wins every year after. It's not like he went up in year 2 and then into the toilet like Herman has done. 

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Dabo lost 3,5,7,4 his first 4 years, is that old days?

With all due respect, Dabo doesn’t come across as a higher than mighty douchebag, who NEEDS to be the smartest in the room. 
Rather, he seems more of a servant type of leader/ ie- “What can I do for my players and coaches to get us to the next level?”  
I could never see Herman taking the backseat/servant role. It’s not in his nature. 

As a Leader, one should never seek to be the smartest in the room. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This isn't the 1950s or 1980s. The only two recent head coaches to not win an MNC in his first 4 seasons at their respective programs was Dabo and Mack. In his first 3, add Jimbo Fisher and Saban just at LSU to that list.  Saban at Bama, Urban at Florida and Ohio State, Jim Tressel, Larry Coker, Bob Stoops, Lester F'ing Miles, and Pete Carroll all did it in 3 or under. 

Everyone forgets the forgettable Chiz!  Member of the 2 and under crew. 

9 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

With all due respect, Dabo doesn’t come across as a higher than mighty douchebag, who NEEDS to be the smartest in the room. 
Rather, he seems more of a servant type of leader/ ie- “What can I do for my players and coaches to get us to the next level?”  
I could never see Herman taking the backseat/servant role. It’s not in his nature. 

As a Leader, one should never seek to be the smartest in the room. 

He’s also smart and humble enough to go hire really good coordinators and not feel threatened. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

We're talking about the same Clemson that had one magical season back in the 80s.  That had floundered around and been an afterthought before Danny Ford's miracle season and then spent another almost 30 years being irrelevant before Dabo showed up.

someone posted imagine someone following Dabo and doing what Herman has like it's the same situation. 

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Nope, thanks to that ridiculous extension we needlessly gave him in May. We’re stuck with him. 

Why don't you invite RD to this thread?He can probably run the numbers and then make a succinct and effective presentation to CDC.

He can also make a few posts breaking things down in a matter-of-fact manner for the rest of us.

20 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

anyone really believe Urban is getting hired? If not, who you gonna hire that's gonna win a championship in the next 3 years?

What else are we going to talk about? That explosive offense we've been trotting out? The #120 ranked defense that never gets a stop when it needs one? Or the dumbest special teams unit in the nation?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Beef said:

We don’t need him to stay 10 years. Get it turned around, win a NC in year 2-3 and then he can walk away. There are no other good options out there this year.

Absolutely. And he will groom his replacement; i.e.: Ryan Day, or Luke Fickell whose only loss this season is to tOSU.

3 hours ago, hookem48 said:

it was a different time but you are wrong on Royal.   

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic