Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, FuckinA said:

Just relaying an inside scoop from a good buddy that works in the athletic program. Couldn’t resist. Not giving any more details so that he doesn’t get in trouble. Take it or leave it, no sweat off my sack.

Your friend is likely distracting you while he is fucking your wife/girlfriend.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

They are very much the equivalent of.  Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise.

Yeah, if only there were a guy available with rings who wasn't washed up.

We've tried this formula.  As have many many other blue blood juggernaut programs.  It doesn't work.  It hasn't worked since Mack Brown (anywhere, not just UT) and that was 20 years ago.  There's more than enough proof to clearly illustrate this.

Utah is not a G5 program. They compete at a high level at a P5 conference. Don't kid yourself.

Which guys with a ring that's not washed up is available? Just because Urban is not coaching, doesn't mean he is available. Bob Stoops is "available" too. I think it's a pipe dream to think Urban will ever coach at Texas and there are plethora of reasons for that. Yes, our fanbase is desperate for someone like him but it's not going to happen.

You have your convictions and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Utah is not a G5 program. They compete at a high level at a P5 conference. Don't kid yourself.

Which guys with a ring that's not washed up is available? Just because Urban is not coaching, doesn't mean he is available. Bob Stoops is "available" too. I think it's a pipe dream to think Urban will ever coach at Texas and there are plethora of reasons for that. Yes, our fanbase is desperate for someone like him but it's not going to happen.

You have your convictions and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

What is your conviction?

My conviction is that Urban is by far the best available option for turning UT football around and it's not even close.  He is a much safer bet than hoping someone like a Whittingham will be the special sauce this time when that rarely ever works out.

Now, do I think the probabilities are high that Urban ends up at UT next year?  Hell no.  But there is a chance and he is clearly the best option and UT should at least try to make it happen.

Don't see how you could possibly argue with any of that.

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

What is your conviction?

My conviction is that Urban is by far the best available option for turning UT football around and it's not even close.  He is a much safer bet than hoping someone like a Whittingham will be the special sauce this time when that rarely ever works out.

Now, do I think the probabilities are high that Urban ends up at UT next year?  Hell no.  But there is a chance and he is clearly the best option and UT should at least try to make it happen.

Don't see how you could possibly argue with any of that.

Yes, I agree he is better, so is Nick Saban. My conviction is that Texas will never hire him because of the optics. Also, he must have a sour taste from being let go by Ohio State for what he perceives to have been initiated by Tom. If he wants to coach again, he can find other suitors. There was a rumor that the new USC AD wanted to hire him but was told no by the admin. 

If you accept the above, which I do, then I look for the next best thing. Kyle Whittingham is a proven coach and if you watch Utah, you will see how disciplined they are. You may not know much about him because he is a low key guy and is not constantly whoring himself to see if there are suitors from big time programs. I think these are the guys tend to do well. They make their current employers happy, so it takes an effort to hire them away, and if you can do that, he will make the new employer happy as well.

13 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Yes, I agree he is better, so is Nick Saban. My conviction is that Texas will never hire him because of the optics. Also, he must have a sour taste from being let go by Ohio State for what he perceives to have been initiated by Tom. If he wants to coach again, he can find other suitors. There was a rumor that the new USC AD wanted to hire him but was told no by the admin. 

If you accept the above, which I do, then I look for the next best thing. Kyle Whittingham is a proven coach and if you watch Utah, you will see how disciplined they are. You may not know much about him because he is a low key guy and is not constantly whoring himself to see if there are suitors from big time programs. I think these are the guys tend to do well. They make their current employers happy, so it takes an effort to hire them away, and if you can do that, he will make the new employer happy as well.

Okay, I think we're close to saying the same thing.  Only I think (hope) there is more of a shot at Urban than you do.  Of course, if you can't get Urban, Whittingham (or a number of other options like him) would be toward the top of the short list.

My reasons for thinking there is more of a shot at Urban than you do are about as sound as you're reasons for thinking there is no shot.

First, I think his ego would love to give Herman the proverbial finger as Herman's walking out the door with a cardboard box.

Also, I don't think there necessarily will be other qualified suitors.  I'd start with the fact that it probably needs to be one of 6 blue blood programs with the level or resources and commitment that (should) come with a blue blood program.  Urban was already at one so I don't see why he'd take a step backward now just to get back into coaching.  So, assuming that is the case, that leaves 6 total programs who would be possible suiters.  As you mentioned, USC isn't likely.  The rumor you heard aside, Helton currently has them ranked in the top 25 and finished the regular season 8-4.  Doubt that gets him fired.  The other 5 all have solid coaches who aren't going anywhere barring NFL coaching moves.  Which probably only leaves ousux (a lot has to happen for that to work out) and UT.

Anyway, probably all for nothing...Herman is likely still here next year.  Still fun to think about.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Okay, I think we're close to saying the same thing.  Only I think (hope) there is more of a shot at Urban than you do.  Of course, if you can't get Urban, Whittingham (or a number of other options like him) would be toward the top of the short list.

My reasons for thinking there is more of a shot at Urban than you do are about as sound as you're reasons for thinking there is no shot.

First, I think his ego would love to give Herman the proverbial finger as Herman's walking out the door with a cardboard box.

Also, I don't think there necessarily will be other qualified suitors.  I'd start with the fact that it probably needs to be one of 6 blue blood programs with the level or resources and commitment that (should) come with a blue blood program.  Urban was already at one so I don't see why he'd take a step backward now just to get back into coaching.  So, assuming that is the case, that leaves 6 total programs who would be possible suiters.  As you mentioned, USC isn't likely.  The rumor you heard aside, Helton currently has them ranked in the top 25 and finished the regular season 8-4.  Doubt that gets him fired.  The other 5 all have solid coaches who aren't going anywhere barring NFL coaching moves.  Which probably only leaves ousux (a lot has to happen for that to work out) and UT.

Anyway, probably all for nothing...Herman is likely still here next year.  Still fun to think about.

CDC won't fire Tom this year, so this whole discussion is hypothetical and I remember Dick Thaler telling our MBA class at Chicago never to have hypothetical arguments because even if you win the argument, there is no real reward.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I mean except Florida isn’t a blue blood.  Not even close.

That's what you're going with? Terrible. You say we shouldn't look at Utah's coach, because no top program has had success with a "G5" guy (even though Utah isn't even G5). And yet Urban Meyer, your boy, came from... wait for it... Utah. Your point was bad. Your post was bad. Quit while you're behind.

Edited by BradInATX

15 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Arguing about a fantasy is fun.  Herman will be here in 2020.  Listen up for CDC to start using the word "continuity" with more frequency.  Hopefully 2021 will be a smooth transition.  Anyway, have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm already annoyed that we have to go into next season either wanting to make the playoffs or lose all of our games. 

I don’t want my coach to be a douchebag or a piece of shit. Urban Meyer is a piece of shit.  Ergo.  I don’t want him.  I felt the same about Herman who is a douchebag.  I was ready to tolerate him after Georgia last year, but that’s done. 

How about a thoughtful, reasoned process that allows us to choose among a few people that are interested rather than starting at Urban/Saban and checking down a list until we aren’t rejected like we did when we hired Strong.  Fuck the narrative in the press.  Run the process with all deliberate speed.  Nevermind.  That will never happen.  Red out front shoulda told you.  Gruden!

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I don’t want my coach to be a douchebag or a piece of shit. Urban Meyer is a piece of shit.  Ergo.  I don’t want him.  I felt the same about Herman who is a douchebag.  I was ready to tolerate him after Georgia last year, but that’s done. 

How about a thoughtful, reasoned process that allows us to choose among a few people that are interested rather than starting at Urban/Saban and checking down a list until we aren’t rejected like we did when we hired Strong.  Fuck the narrative in the press.  Run the process with all deliberate speed.  Nevermind.  That will never happen.  Red out front shoulda told you.  Gruden!

I don't my coach to be either, but as you pointed out near the end of the first paragraph, I too am willing to accept what I do not want if that douchebag/p.o.s. is going to win.

...at least for a while...

55 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I don’t want my coach to be a douchebag or a piece of shit. Urban Meyer is a piece of shit.  Ergo.  I don’t want him.

I know this is a common sentiment, and one that most people reflexively agree with at first glance, but this is a serious questionWhy?  How does the football coach's personality/ethics affect your life in any way? 

Football exists solely in my life for entertainment.  I'm tired of having to change out of burnt orange before leaving the house on Saturday nights so I don't have to deal with the smirk and "what happened to y'all today?" questions from strangers.  I just want to win, and I don't care who does it.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I know this is a common sentiment, and one that most people reflexively agree with at first glance, but this is a serious questionWhy?  How does the football coach's personality/ethics affect your life in any way? 

Football exists solely in my life for entertainment.  I'm tired of having to change out of burnt orange before leaving the house on Saturday nights so I don't have to deal with the smirk and "what happened to y'all today?" questions from strangers.  I just want to win, and I don't care who does it.

Fine.  Let's hire Pitino when we fire Shaka this year and bring Art Briles in from East Texas if he's available after Urban invariably turns us town. I'm exaggerating.  But they are just different points on a continuum, not apples to oranges.  YMMV on where you'd prefer to jump off that continuum before we are looking at guys like Kiffin or Briles, and that's fair.

But to answer your question, it's certainly more fun when I want to root for the coach, too.  I simply don't want to root for Urban if I don't have to.  If we hired Urban, I'd handle it the same way I do Herman:  reluctantly, because I support the school and the players over the coach.  And with Urban, I'd be crossing my fingers we don't turn into late aught's early 2010's Florida.

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not touching any of this shit. I assume Coach Fuckface will be here for two more years because ... Sugar Bowl. Whatever the fuck. I’d be all for Urban Meyer at Texas. I’m too despondent to have or offer hope, in any event.

I thought Herman and Shaka were staying for stability when realignment comes around. 

RDuke outside shoulda told ya

This is how a hypothetical meeting with Urban would go (and how an actual meeting with Saban probably went):

BMD: we’re ready to make you a very rich man

Urban: I want complete control of the program

BMD: yeah, ahem, well, that’s not how we do things here; for starters...

(Urban walks out of meeting)

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

That's what you're going with? Terrible. You say we shouldn't look at Utah's coach, because no top program has had success with a "G5" guy (even though Utah isn't even G5). And yet Urban Meyer, your boy, came from... wait for it... Utah. Your point was bad. Your post was bad. Quit while you're behind.

I didn’t say no “top program” I said no “blue blood program”.  Learn to read, then you can come back and talk with the grownups.

You start at Urban and Saban because they are the best. We’ve sucked ass at hiring coaches for 3-4 decades minus Mack and DKR.

Like I’ve said before do you want to win or talk about winning, that’s the decision this university has to make if they want our athletic programs to take the next jump.

But winning to our university just equals making money so....

The best coach in the past 40 years not named Saban is sitting on the sidelines for 1 year.  Yeah he's probably a narcissist and an asshole.  But you are one of a handful of teams that could get him (I think you can add a few more, probably 10 or so)

You have to at least reach out and talk possibilities.  he will take the call.   

If not for an extension Tom is likely coaching for his job Friday if it hasn't already been decided to move on.  Every single aspect of the program has fallen into shambles outside recruiting and that rope is fraying.  with contracts these days letting 10 mil be the deciding factor in not hiring Urban would be incredibly dumb.  

Why did OSU force Urban out if he was the best thing since sliced bread? If you don't think UT will steer clear of someone like him, you probably didn't go there or don't know our history. While we have some boosters who want to win at all costs, majority of our boosters care more about our reputation because most of them amassed wealth not from sports but from using the degree.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If it exists solely in your life for entertainment then you shouldn’t be worried about smirks from douchebags who ask “what happened to y’all today.”  Your statement doesn’t make sense or you care way more than you are leading on to believe.

I see we still have some work to do.  Still a large contingent of you fucks that are not ready to win.  It’s absolutely sanctimonious prick behavior to insist on this horseshit image that UT likes to put on.  CLEVE FUCKING BRYANT.  That’s it.  Time to win.  Let’s not act like this sport is about getting degrees.  It’s not.  It’s semi-pro football and it’s time for Texas to take a place at the table instead of talking about a bunch of bullshit.  This motherfucking program is a historical underachiever with limitless possibilities.  We are the Michigan of the south.  Fuck that, I want to be 90’s Nebraska.  I don’t give a fuck how many convicts it takes.  When Mack stopped recruiting those guys everything went to shit.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Whittingham has had losing conference records 4 of the 9 years they've been in the Pac-12 (4-5, 3-6, 2-7, 3-6).  Two more have been 5-4.  I don't think that's really being a proven coach.

If it exists solely in your life for entertainment then you shouldn’t be worried about smirks from douchebags who ask “what happened to y’all today.”  Your statement doesn’t make sense or you care way more than you are leading on to believe.

I never said I didn’t care. I care very much. Which is why I want to win. All I was saying was that my opinion of the degree on my wall is not dependent in any way on the personality of our football coach.
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 10:21 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I would just shrug, because my alma mater has a second-tier football program with unrealistic expectations. The only thing we do at an elite level is maximize revenue streams, and until failing to win makes that impossible, everything with the University of Texas' football program is A-OK. 

How are our expectations unrealistic? 

On 11/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, Surlybastard said:

Two things wrong with this scenario:

1. Jerry will never fire Garrett.

2. I can't see Meyer wanting to live anywhere near Norman most of the year. He can have pretty much any job he wants if he waits for it. I don't believe the OU job would be that high up on his list of possible coaching gigs. 

Never ceases to amaze me how fans are so confident about what's going on in the mind of a person they've never met.  For some reason, this particular poster has incredible insight as to where Urban Meyer would/wouldn't be willing to live, in exchange for tens of millions of dollars and an opportunity to do the thing he loves doing, is clearly one of the best ever at doing, at a school with blue blood status and everything he needs to win more rings.

For the record, I have to side with the Surly contingent who believe that UT should never hire Urban Meyer.  Ever.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, Tailgate said:

I don’t think Riley goes pro. He can basically already retire...why deal with that bullshit.

Get a fucking monster HC here now...Urban or whoever....just do it.

In comparing a college vs NFL head coaching job, you think the NFL job is the one with "that bullshit?"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

CDC won't fire Tom this year, so this whole discussion is hypothetical and I remember Dick Thaler telling our MBA class at Chicago never to have hypothetical arguments because even if you win the argument, there is no real reward.

yes but the interweb was built literally to have hypothetical arguments on message boards that end with a Hitler reference. Like literally there is really no other reason for it, literally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I'm tired of having to change out of burnt orange before leaving the house on Saturday nights so I don't have to deal with the smirk and "what happened to y'all today?" questions from strangers. 

People actually say shit like that to people they don't know in everyday situations? I'd have to tell them to fuck right off. Anyone who talks unprovoked shit like that to strangers deserves nothing better.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic