Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

How much talent does this team really have? Do you think we have the same level of talent as the top teams in the nation? I don't.

Our junior class was ranked #25. We have had two top 5ish classes since then but most of them are young. With a few good coaches, even if they are just position coaches, Texas has a chance to be relevant again but with great coordinators, we can be great even with Tom Herman at the helm if he let's the coordinators run their sides of the ball.

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Also, just like the post earlier said, Texas should not be satisfied with 10 wins. Ever. If it happens, it happens, but we shouldn’t be pulling a fucking Sam ehlinger, saying “well if you look at this program over the last decade, the fans should be happy with 10 wins. Fuck that. We have way too many resources to not at the very least be in the big 12 championship every single year 

We need back-to-back 10-win seasons before we can start bitching about not doing better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

CDC is to big of a pussy obviously to pull the trigger and hire urban. I thought he had “vision of the big picture” and clearly he doesn’t if he seriously think Tom Herman is the big picture. Grow a sack and hire the guy we all know would fucking wreck shop here Urbanus Sir Meyer.

If CDC pulled the trigger after the end of this season, and Herman gets a helluva nice payout, and the new guy who starts in January goes and flops as well, then CDC will be out of his job.

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I think when they’re 18 year old true freshman first stepping foot on campus, we have as much talent as anyone in the nation outside of bama and Clemson. Our biggest problem, even dating back to the Mack brown days to a lesser extent, is developing that talent and holding players accountable for not doing everything they can possibly do to be successful. Maybe I’m off, but I highly doubt every recruiting site has it wrong. Just look at some of the busts that we’ve had and look at their other offers. Coaches around the country would kill for our raw talent. 

You forgot Ohio State.  Look at the recruiting rankings the last seven years.  

13 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

You forgot Ohio State.  Look at the recruiting rankings the last seven years.  

That’s fair. I’ll give you that. My point still stands though. There’s no good reason Texas shouldn’t be in Ohio state’s level on a regular basis. No reason they shouldn’t be preseason top 10, and no reason they shouldn’t be in the playoff hunt every year. If Ohio state is 9-3 heading into a bowl game and they get their 10th win, that’s considered a down year for you guys. There isn’t a good reason for Texas to not have that exact same mindset. Anything less should be considered a failure of a season.

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

By multiple recruiting services we are the composite #9 team talent ranking for both 4 and 5 years.  

Its fairly indicative of where teams rank with only FSU and aggy matching our failure to produce results in line with our talent.  

Exactly. We have let ourselves turn into aggy, minus all the weird shit they do, and the built in excuse of being in the toughest division in college football. We’ve had one fluke season in the last 10 years (last year beating Georgia) and they’ve had one fluke season in the last 10 years (Johnny footballs freshman year). We don’t have to stay in this place. It’s simple. “Hey Urban. Name your price.” Boom, you’re back, and maybe even better than ever because Urban is twice the coach Mack ever was. He doesn’t get scared to death. He scares the rest of the conference to death. If we made that move, everyone in the conference would have a collective “oh fuck. This is not good.”

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 3

Texas puts out a few good QBs every few years and a few good skill guys like Dobbins but the offensive line recruits suck ass every single year and other than the occasional Ed Oliver or Ashawn Robinson the Dline sucks ass too. Can't build a title team with just skill players and a QB. Even the last two Heisman winners are looking bad (Mayfield) and just ok (Murray) in the NFL which combined with how well Hurts looks points to it being all Lincoln's abilities as an offensive coach. Hurts couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at Alabama and now looks like a Heisman contender too. 
So soft lines, a couple of skill guys here and there, and QBs if they play for Lincoln Reilly. Yeah, crazy fertile recruiting grounds. Urban would have to find a way to pay enough money to mama to import his lines from SEC and Big 10 country and no Texas coach has been able to do that the modern game. Either that or run his offense like Reilly and win the big 12 only to get exposed in the playoff

Pretty much at any given point a 1/4-1/3 of nfl rosters are qbs from Texas. Stfu stupid ass bitch.

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If CDC pulled the trigger after the end of this season, and Herman gets a helluva nice payout, and the new guy who starts in January goes and flops as well, then CDC will be out of his job.

That’s a pussy way of thinking about it and making decisions. Sounds a lot like Tom Herman. If I pass here and we don’t get it we may lose. You didn’t become to the Texas AD to be scared to pull the trigger on a guy like urban Meyer. “What if urban flops? Ok let’s keep Tom who we all know won’t win a national title here and will lose 3-4 games every year” 

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

You don't fire densa unless you get Urban. You think Urban would flop?

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Unless the new guy is Urban. Then CDC likely becomes a hero.

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Well, USC will fire Clay Helton per Sports Illustrated... looks like they'll get first crack at Urban.

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/usc-dismissing-helton/

"With the early sign period nearing, USC is hoping to have a new hire lined up by the end of this week. Its top target: Urban Meyer. 

The Trojans have been in talks with Meyer's camp for some time and there is optimism that a deal can be reached with the former Ohio State and Florida coach, sources said. Not all of the their eggs are in the Meyer basket, however. "

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"With the early sign period nearing, USC is hoping to have a new hire lined up by the end of this week. Its top target: Urban Meyer. 

The Trojans have been in talks with Meyer's camp for some time and there is optimism that a deal can be reached with the former Ohio State and Florida coach, sources said. Not all of the their eggs are in the Meyer basket, however. "

Not so fast...

16 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

As I predicted before, USC will hire Urban. They wouldn't have fired Helton unless they knew who they were going to hire.

Yep this right here.  Helton was like Herman in this situation.  Not quite shitty enough to fire based on his own merit alone, give him a year with staff changes, etc...UNLESS you can get Urban.

My only hope is that it’s been a done deal for a while so Texas never had the opportunity.  Not because the Texas admin is a bunch of pussies.  I’m sure we’ll never know the truth, but prepare to see USC have a regular spot in the playoffs while Texas meddles around in the weed wacker bowl for the next several years.

16 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

That’s fair. I’ll give you that. My point still stands though. There’s no good reason Texas shouldn’t be in Ohio state’s level on a regular basis. No reason they shouldn’t be preseason top 10, and no reason they shouldn’t be in the playoff hunt every year. If Ohio state is 9-3 heading into a bowl game and they get their 10th win, that’s considered a down year for you guys. There isn’t a good reason for Texas to not have that exact same mindset. Anything less should be considered a failure of a season.

This is the result of the right hire at HC.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Paging Nick Saban at the Austin airport was our finest hour. 

I disagree kind sir.

Our finest hour was the "gerg davis is not our standard" banner flyover.

Edited by Shaggy3.0

3 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

So if Urban isn't the next coach at USC, this will be their version of Saban to Texas.  Rumors will swirl about Urban's wife looking at condos in LA and reports of Urban at LAX.   lol

Urban probably has been spending more time in LA since FOX is based there...

I keep hearing about how Texas is such a fertile recruiting ground but name for me the Texas university that's kicking ass with all these blue Chip Texas recruits? If it's so fertile there has to be plenty to go around right?
I think mostly Texas HS football players are spoiled and soft coming out of HS. Texans make too big of a deal about it and make these kids stars in their own towns. 
I bet there is a website that keeps up with how many d1 kids are from each state. Texas would certainly becin the top 3 along with CA and FL.

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Fake news.

Dude is in perfect health.

Maybe.... or maybe NOT??

Nov. 26 -- The Flagship Podcast: 53:45 mark... Bruce Feldman thinks Urban stays with FOX (mentions health may still be a concern), and Helton stays at USC for next season...  Says if USC does change their Head Coach for 2020 season, it most likely won't be Urban.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-what-can-texas-achieve-by-winning-final-game/id1279981104?i=1000457980642

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic