Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Hope he decides to stay at Fox one more season

I think he is just waiting for a serious offer from sc or ut and that's it. Until then he can just cash checks to sit in the studio. I think he'd also go to nd if they offered but they are probably too holier than thou to go down that road.

3 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

I think he is just waiting for a serious offer from sc or ut and that's it. Until then he can just cash checks to sit in the studio. I think he'd also go to nd if they offered but they are probably too holier than thou to go down that road.

Yeah I think a guy named after a pope might go coach for Notre Dame if offered. 

• Haha 1

We will pass on Urban this year who is the surest hire possible in exchange for another mediocre season and then hiring whoever the flavor of the month up and comer is next year.  Then we will get to watch USC be instantly good again while hoping like hell we hit on the 5% chance that we hired the next nc caliber coach.  That is sub optimal. 

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Maybe Urban is actually retired for good but still enjoys trolling malfunctioning powerhouses like Texas and USC into believing they can land him. Who knows?

which then leads Fox to offering him more money to "stay" on board there, leading to him making more money.

great situation for him

Lmao if he does go to USC and wins a title while we drag ass through next season with Tom.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:23 AM, Junior Miller said:

Texas puts out a few good QBs every few years and a few good skill guys like Dobbins but the offensive line recruits suck ass every single year and other than the occasional Ed Oliver or Ashawn Robinson the Dline sucks ass too. Can't build a title team with just skill players and a QB. Even the last two Heisman winners are looking bad (Mayfield) and just ok (Murray) in the NFL which combined with how well Hurts looks points to it being all Lincoln's abilities as an offensive coach. Hurts couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at Alabama and now looks like a Heisman contender too. 

So soft lines, a couple of skill guys here and there, and QBs if they play for Lincoln Reilly. Yeah, crazy fertile recruiting grounds. Urban would have to find a way to pay enough money to mama to import his lines from SEC and Big 10 country and no Texas coach has been able to do that the modern game. Either that or run his offense like Reilly and win the big 12 only to get exposed in the playoff

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Talent is not the issue. Coaching and development are the issues. Our best players leave the state/conference. Ohio State has looted us. Bama and LSU have looted us. Georgia is looting us. We and atm get talent and squander it. Half the NFL is led by QBs from the state of Texas. The premise of your argument is flawed. Texas is absolutely fertile recruiting ground, and Urban knows it, whether you do or not. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:51 PM, kevwun said:

We will pass on Urban this year who is the surest hire possible in exchange for another mediocre season and then hiring whoever the flavor of the month up and comer is next year.  Then we will get to watch USC be instantly good again while hoping like hell we hit on the 5% chance that we hired the next nc caliber coach.  That is sub optimal. 

Exactly.

CDC wasn't even going to insist on Tom getting new coordinators. This guy is a classic bureaucrat. His only concern is keeping his job. Texas winning or losing is secondary. Bureaucrats live by one credo - Don't make any real decisions and you can't be blamed for anything. So he will see which way the winds are blowing and take the least controversial path. At some point that may be firing Tom. These guys don't make bold moves.

15 minutes ago, Loather said:

Exactly.

CDC wasn't even going to insist on Tom getting new coordinators. This guy is a classic bureaucrat. His only concern is keeping his job. Texas winning or losing is secondary. Bureaucrats live by one credo - Don't make any real decisions and you can't be blamed for anything. So he will see which way the winds are blowing and take the least controversial path. At some point that may be firing Tom. These guys don't make bold moves.

Agree to a point but the real decisions are not his since he is not paying the bills.

The BMDs decide, he facilitates like a mediator. Sure he can take the cred for getting more sanitary napkins in DKR to enhance the "game day experience", but for FB I doubt he does anything but say"yes sir, thank you sir" when the BMDs have a question or want to make a donation or a change. Even extending Densa after Ga win was likely BMD driven. 

ADs are like university presidents, they do the bidding of those who hold the gold.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:11 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I think when they’re 18 year old true freshman first stepping foot on campus, we have as much talent as anyone in the nation outside of bama and Clemson. Our biggest problem, even dating back to the Mack brown days to a lesser extent, is developing that talent and holding players accountable for not doing everything they can possibly do to be successful. Maybe I’m off, but I highly doubt every recruiting site has it wrong. Just look at some of the busts that we’ve had and look at their other offers. Coaches around the country would kill for our raw talent. 

^this

We went from Gary Gibbs (no charisma / lifetime DC) to Howard Schnellenberger (got worse), to John Blake (rock bottom). Our athletic director was new, and took a good look at Bob Stoops, who was recommended by a network of people. When Stoops essentially quit on the job in the 2014 season, he went to Mike Leach. Leach recommended Lincoln Riley. Stoops, for all intents and purposes, handed the head coaching job over to Lincoln Riley before officially doing so. I was happy about the decision when the news broke. OU's trajectory from 2010-2014 was going down as each season progressed, with the exception of 2013, when Oklahoma State was the better team and Gundy shit the bed in Stillwater vs. OU and 'Bama didn't care about the 2013 season's Sugar Bowl. I've read the responses to my comments, and I definitely would like to reply that my posts were in no way meant to "show pity", that I do think Herman will be fired, but I didn't say it was going to be this year. I want to emphasise that I do think its the "powers that be" at UT that will keep a snake like Meyer from ever coaching at UT, and that I got the hell out of Oklahoma for Boulder, CO twelve years ago. I grew up in Tulsa (suburb) and moved back to OK when I graduated from college (which is why I chose Boulder- the opposite of Tulsa.) My advice would be: use that network you guys have, which includes Mack Brown. Do what OU did with both Stoops and Riley when choosing your head coach.

I agree with youdunnf'dup about the talent there now. Not having Collin Johnson out there for Ehlinger is a bad, bad loss to injury. It seems that he's a game changer while out there with Duvernay. From an outsider's perspective, Devin Duvernay is getting blanketed due to Johnson's absence (yet, Duvernay's still making plays.) Remember, Bob Stoops came in to a program loaded with talent and a complete idiot as their coach (Blake) and turned the OL and DL into National Champions with his choices in position coaches and attitude. 

If you agree with me that UT would never agree to hire Urban Meyer, and you don't want Wittingham, you next coach is probably going to be a guy you might have to look up on the internet, and that'll likely end up being a good thing for y'all.

On the "blue bloods" thing, holy shit, you'd have to throw Miami in there with their flash-in-the-pan stuff if you're going to lump Clemson in. I will always hold there are eight until another one gets enough clout. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and Alabama. As far as "who gives a shit about being a blue blood?" Damn, y'all. Its very important. The comparisons to Nebraska and their almost 20-year absence aren't really useful or relevant to the conversation. Texas is the flagship football program in the State of Texas. Texas is football. Your divided "powers that be" are a problem when re-ascending towards being a national title contender at the end of each season, but they were (for all practical purposes) the same people who hired Mack Brown. Texas is not Nebraska. ( I don't know WTF is going on over there, and I probably don't want to know.)

I honestly thought Tom Herman would be the next great coach at Texas, though, so everything with a grain of salt. 

FUKM

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

We went from Gary Gibbs (no charisma / lifetime DC) to Howard Schnellenberger (got worse), to John Blake (rock bottom). Our athletic director was new, and took a good look at Bob Stoops, who was recommended by a network of people. When Stoops essentially quit on the job in the 2014 season, he went to Mike Leach. Leach recommended Lincoln Riley. Stoops, for all intents and purposes, handed the head coaching job over to Lincoln Riley before officially doing so. I was happy about the decision when the news broke. OU's trajectory from 2010-2014 was going down as each season progressed, with the exception of 2013, when Oklahoma State was the better team and Gundy shit the bed in Stillwater vs. OU and 'Bama didn't care about the 2013 season's Sugar Bowl. I've read the responses to my comments, and I definitely would like to reply that my posts were in no way meant to "show pity", that I do think Herman will be fired, but I didn't say it was going to be this year. I want to emphasise that I do think its the "powers that be" at UT that will keep a snake like Meyer from ever coaching at UT, and that I got the hell out of Oklahoma for Boulder, CO twelve years ago. I grew up in Tulsa (suburb) and moved back to OK when I graduated from college (which is why I chose Boulder- the opposite of Tulsa.) My advice would be: use that network you guys have, which includes Mack Brown. Do what OU did with both Stoops and Riley when choosing your head coach.

I agree with youdunnf'dup about the talent there now. Not having Collin Johnson out there for Ehlinger is a bad, bad loss to injury. It seems that he's a game changer while out there with Duvernay. From an outsider's perspective, Devin Duvernay is getting blanketed due to Johnson's absence (yet, Duvernay's still making plays.) Remember, Bob Stoops came in to a program loaded with talent and a complete idiot as their coach (Blake) and turned the OL and DL into National Champions with his choices in position coaches and attitude. 

If you agree with me that UT would never agree to hire Urban Meyer, and you don't want Wittingham, you next coach is probably going to be a guy you might have to look up on the internet, and that'll likely end up being a good thing for y'all.

On the "blue bloods" thing, holy shit, you'd have to throw Miami in there with their flash-in-the-pan stuff if you're going to lump Clemson in. I will always hold there are eight until another one gets enough clout. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, tOSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, and Alabama. As far as "who gives a shit about being a blue blood?" Damn, y'all. Its very important. The comparisons to Nebraska and their almost 20-year absence aren't really useful or relevant to the conversation. Texas is the flagship football program in the State of Texas. Texas is football. Your divided "powers that be" are a problem when re-ascending towards being a national title contender at the end of each season, but they were (for all practical purposes) the same people who hired Mack Brown. Texas is not Nebraska. ( I don't know WTF is going on over there, and I probably don't want to know.)

I honestly thought Tom Herman would be the next great coach at Texas, though, so everything with a grain of salt. 

FUKM

That was a lot of words. What are you trying to say?

FUKM

e648b8bce019999d34fa6b98a77b10dc.gif
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

That was a lot of words. What are you trying to say?

Texas won't be mediocre for long. I'm shocked at this decade. Urban Meyer is not acceptable at UT with the way he left tOSU. He may be acceptable at USC, but half of your power base would rather eat a bag of dicks before hiring that guy. Look somewhere else, and maybe following OU's example (the other BIG XII blue blood) in their hiring of Stoops and Riley might be the best decision. We have a very savvy AD, there's no reason UT can't get back up where it wants to be, and fast. One hire away, and no one is going to green light the hiring of Urban Meyer, so choose wisely, and you've got the talent there and a built-in recruiting base of top-tier high school kids who only ask "why should I NOT go to UT?", like Adrian Peterson back in 2003. Your high school kids grow up Longhorn fans, the talent can be there for your "Matt Rhule" hire. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Texas won't be mediocre for long. I'm shocked at this decade. Urban Meyer is not acceptable at UT with the way he left tOSU. He may be acceptable at USC, but half of your power base would rather eat a bag of dicks before hiring that guy. Look somewhere else, and maybe following OU's example (the other BIG XII blue blood) in their hiring of Stoops and Riley might be the best decision. We have a very savvy AD, there's no reason UT can't get back up where it wants to be, and fast. One hire away, and no one is going to green light the hiring of Urban Meyer, so choose wisely, and you've got the talent there and a built-in recruiting base of top-tier high school kids who only ask "why should I NOT go to UT?", like Adrian Peterson back in 2003. Your high school kids grow up Longhorn fans, the talent can be there for your "Matt Rhule" hire. 

Texas has already been mediocre for long. He left tosu ready to cruise into the playoff as the #1 team in the committee's rankings. Rhule and ou can both go eat dicks together.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, Chili dog said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Talent is not the issue. Coaching and development are the issues. Our best players leave the state/conference. Ohio State has looted us. Bama and LSU have looted us. Georgia is looting us. We and atm get talent and squander it. Half the NFL is led by QBs from the state of Texas. The premise of your argument is flawed. Texas is absolutely fertile recruiting ground, and Urban knows it, whether you do or not. 

those programs are really not looting Texas with the exception of LSU

and again with the exception of LSU those programs are not looting Texas for OL and DL players they are taking a lot of skill players especially WRs and DBs and some QBs

here is what the 4 programs you mentioned have taken out of texas since 2014 up to and until their 2020 class listed on 24X7

ga 3 K, CB, OT

1 S

1 WR

osu 2 CB, WR

1 WR

1 PRO

5 CB, APB, CB, WR, OLB

1 OG

LSU 2 ILB, CB

2 OLB, K

3 WDE, DT, DT

6 WDE, OT, CB, S, OG, WR

3 S, WR, WDE

5 OG, OT, TE, DUAL WR

7, S, S, WR, WDE, DT, K, TE

Bama 2 ATH, OT

2 CB, CB

1 WR

3 WR, TE, TE

4 CB, OG, Dual, DT

2 CB, S

1 CB

so with the exception of LSU there are few lineman being taken by those top programs out of Texas

more importantly if you look at the classes of ALL those years for ALL those programs you see players taken from all over the USA and I think that is a major factor that UT misses out on and a lot of other Texas programs at all levels as well

you get a bunch of guys in that are already familiar with each other, they all know each other or know of each other and their bullshit builds up on itself and the coaches have a hard time controlling it and a hard time getting guys to work for shit and to earn shit and it gets worse with all the shit that Texas provides them in the way of creature comforts and that Austin offers in the way of fucking off and having fun and living life outside of football

Tom said he was looking to recruit outside of Texas heavily and he has so far done pretty much the exact opposite

I was happy that Charlie tried, but he got burned so bad by the Florida Five Fuckheads (well most of them) that he got cold feet and went back to "win Texas" which is how to not win a NC.....lets be clear Charlie was not going to get it done most likely no matter who or where he recruited from, but it caused quite a stir with Texas HS coaches (and all their bullshit that needs to be stomped on when Charlie tried to recruit hard outside of Texas and same when Tom said it

Texas has a lot of dickheads for HS coaches that produce a lot of dickheads for players and when you get too much of that on your college team you get stupidity and softness and fuckery

and the fact that Texas HS coaches think their players are owed a spot at Texas universities and Texas universities play to that shit does not help anyone at all especially a program trying to win it all (unless win it all is recruiting WRTS or coach February like Mack was for a long time)

On 11/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, BradInATX said:

That's what you're going with? Terrible. You say we shouldn't look at Utah's coach, because no top program has had success with a "G5" guy (even though Utah isn't even G5). And yet Urban Meyer, your boy, came from... wait for it... Utah. Your point was bad. Your post was bad. Quit while you're behind.

If/when we fire Herman next year, remind me to pick up our Urban Meyer vs Kyle Whittingham argument where we left off.  Should be fun.

Joel Klatt: If the Cowboys offered Urban the job, he would take it

By Zach Barnett -  December 7, 2019

Joel Klatt is the lead color commentator for FOX’s college football coverage, and the best in the game today. He’s opinionated, but every opinion is backed up by research and data. He’s also a guy that’s not afraid to call his shot now and then.

And his latest shot is an upper decker that sails out of the stadium and busts through the window of a Toyota Camry sitting in the parking lot.

In an appearance on The Herd on Friday, Klatt predicted Urban Meyer would take the soon-to-be vacant Dallas Cowboys job if offered. “I certainly believe if that if Dallas offered Urban Meyer the job, I believe he would take it,” Klatt said.

The NFL Network’s Jane Slater, who covers the Cowboys and was in Chicago for the club’s loss to the Bears, reported early Friday morning the Cowboys had “very real interest” in Meyer as the Cowboys’ braintrust — i.e., Jerry and Stephen Jones — have their eyes on the college game to replace Jason Garrett.

Jerry Jones says Jason Garrett will remain the coach but I can confirm a very real interest in Urban Meyer. In fact, I'm told Stephen Jones spoke with him recently. Lincoln Riley remains a strong candidate & file this name as a possibility Clemson OC Tony Elliott per sources.

Part of that interest has to stem from Meyer himself. Appearing on The Herd in October, Meyer said this of the Cowboys job: “That’s the one. That’s the New York Yankees, that’s the one. Great city. You’ve got Dak Prescott, you’ve got Zeke Elliott, you’ve got a loaded team,” he said. The question was asked in reference to Lincoln Riley, but Meyer closed the answer by saying, “To me, that’s the one job in professional football you kind of say, ‘I’ve got to go do that.” Asked specifically if he would consider the Cowboys job if offered, Meyer said, “Sure, absolutely. Absolutely. That one? Yes.”

Meyer’s comments then put him in direct conflict with… himself. It was a year ago this week that Ohio State announced Urban would step down following the upcoming Rose Bowl. Asked about the possibility of coaching in the NFL during that December 2018 press conference, Meyer said this:

“I see some of these guys’ records because the NFL is so even,” Meyer said. “Some of these guys, their record is 74-58. I could never do that.”

We’re talking about a coach that lost 32 games in 17 years as a head coach and was twice driven out of the game because his fear of losing was so intense. And now we’re talking about him coaching in a league where losing six games a year constitutes a good season. Don’t forget, debilitating stress-induced headaches were a driving reason Urban walked away last year. If this were to really happen, he would need to seriously adjust his approach to handling wins and losses at the NFL level (fat chance) or losing six games a year could drive him out of football for a third time.

But that hypothetical 74-58 NFL coach Urban referenced a year ago didn’t have Dak Prescott, he didn’t have Zeke Elliott, and he didn’t coach for the Dallas Cowboys*.

* Jason Garrett is 83-66 with the Cowboys, but we’re riffing here, okay?

https://footballscoop.com/news/joel-klatt-if-the-cowboys-offered-urban-the-job-he-would-take-it/

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Urbs won’t succeed in the nfl I don’t believe. Recruiting superior talent is a big part of his success formula.

That's why a team like an NFL Team like Dallas has best chance to hire Urby... their roster could make a run at Super Bowl in a year or two with a couple more players.

Urby probably only lasts 3-4yrs in NFL.

The last championship is getting to be a while back now, and our storied football program is going through a multi-year dry spell.

Every year we get sucked in thinking that we will finally turn it around.

This arrogant and dysfunctional organization has failed with several head coaches now.

The current coach is a lame duck.

Teams seem to have figured out our conservative offense, it has even been suggested that we are giving tells on run and pass plays.

We have a quarterback that some feel could be elite. He can run the ball pretty well but he does have a noticeable weakness in arm strength.

In fact, our entire roster is viewed as pretty talented, although this hasn't translated into much success on the field.

Our special teams are bad and the coaches don't seem to be teaching some of the fundamentals of football like tackling.

We have lost some close games this year, we seem to find creative ways to screw around and lose.

The team is literally being laughed at around the country.

If the coach is fired, some people (Including Myself) would like to see Urban Meyer brought in to see if he can turn this thing around.

- Dallas Cowboys or Texas Longhorns?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Loather said:

The last championship is getting to be a while back now, and our storied football program is going through a multi-year dry spell.

This arrogant and dysfunctional organization has failed with several head coaches now.

Teams seem to have figured out our conservative offense, it has even been suggested that we are giving tells on run and pass plays.

We have a quarterback that some feel could be elite. He can run the ball pretty well but he does have a noticeable weakness in arm strength.

In fact, our entire roster is viewed as pretty talented, although this hasn't translated into much success on the field.

Our special teams are bad and the coaches don't seem to be teaching some of the fundamentals of football like tackling.

We have lost some close games this year, we seem to find creative ways to screw around and lose.

If the coach is fired, some people (Including Myself) would like to see Urban Meyer brought in to see if he can turn this thing around.

Yep.  The difference is that Dallas will be making the change this offseason (albeit a few years too late by most people's estimation).  Texas will not.

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Urbs won’t succeed in the nfl I don’t believe. Recruiting superior talent is a big part of his success formula.

I don't even give a fuck who it is anymore.  I'm just ready for a change.  I'm ready to throw whoever against the wall to see if they stick.  Urban Meyer?  Fine.  Lincoln Riley?  Fuck it sure.  Hell, Ron Rivera?  Shit, why not?  I don't even care as long as it's something different.  Team is horribly in need of some new blood.

6 hours ago, Loather said:

This has been my “football fan life” for the past 10+ yrs. It has sucked and I’m afraid it’s going to last another year at the very least.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:23 PM, ButtFumble said:

those programs are really not looting Texas with the exception of LSU

and again with the exception of LSU those programs are not looting Texas for OL and DL players they are taking a lot of skill players especially WRs and DBs and some QBs

here is what the 4 programs you mentioned have taken out of texas since 2014 up to and until their 2020 class listed on 24X7

ga 3 K, CB, OT

1 S

1 WR

osu 2 CB, WR

1 WR

1 PRO

5 CB, APB, CB, WR, OLB

1 OG

LSU 2 ILB, CB

2 OLB, K

3 WDE, DT, DT

6 WDE, OT, CB, S, OG, WR

3 S, WR, WDE

5 OG, OT, TE, DUAL WR

7, S, S, WR, WDE, DT, K, TE

Bama 2 ATH, OT

2 CB, CB

1 WR

3 WR, TE, TE

4 CB, OG, Dual, DT

2 CB, S

1 CB

so with the exception of LSU there are few lineman being taken by those top programs out of Texas

more importantly if you look at the classes of ALL those years for ALL those programs you see players taken from all over the USA and I think that is a major factor that UT misses out on and a lot of other Texas programs at all levels as well

you get a bunch of guys in that are already familiar with each other, they all know each other or know of each other and their bullshit builds up on itself and the coaches have a hard time controlling it and a hard time getting guys to work for shit and to earn shit and it gets worse with all the shit that Texas provides them in the way of creature comforts and that Austin offers in the way of fucking off and having fun and living life outside of football

Tom said he was looking to recruit outside of Texas heavily and he has so far done pretty much the exact opposite

I was happy that Charlie tried, but he got burned so bad by the Florida Five Fuckheads (well most of them) that he got cold feet and went back to "win Texas" which is how to not win a NC.....lets be clear Charlie was not going to get it done most likely no matter who or where he recruited from, but it caused quite a stir with Texas HS coaches (and all their bullshit that needs to be stomped on when Charlie tried to recruit hard outside of Texas and same when Tom said it

Texas has a lot of dickheads for HS coaches that produce a lot of dickheads for players and when you get too much of that on your college team you get stupidity and softness and fuckery

and the fact that Texas HS coaches think their players are owed a spot at Texas universities and Texas universities play to that shit does not help anyone at all especially a program trying to win it all (unless win it all is recruiting WRTS or coach February like Mack was for a long time)

Too long. Didn’t read. Went straight to Ohio State and saw that you left off JK Dobbins. All I needed to see. 

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic