Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have a feeling we are going be very letdown. I remember this board was in similar spirits at the end of 2013 of getting Saban and then we get Charlie fucking Strong. Maybe the worst coach in UT history. Then we go get Herman.

Mack Brown, Strong, Herman were not these big time names and having prestige. Something tells me it won't be different this time around.

Wasn't the rumor that Mack didn't want Saban to take over and used Joe Jamail to threaten to pull his donations if Saban was hired?

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. OU being better than us year in and year out is like water being wet sadly. Besides a few outlier years of when we were very good, OU has owned us. Even if we beat them at the Cotton Bowl, they still find a way to the Big 12 title game and get to the national championship game, 2008, 2018 come to mind.

But if aggy somehow found themselves into the playoffs before us, man, that is going to be rough for this fanbase and the donors. That could put serious pressure on CDC to turn on the heat and back up the Brinks truck for Urban. This actually could be the year it happens. Mond looks better than previous years and the SEC West is pretty shitty outside of Bama. And the whole covid thing has this season upside down. aggy does not even need to get to the SEC championship game. 

Losing the next game to Kansas could also make it happen. Although, Strong lost to Kansas in 2016 and we didn't shake anything up. We go and hire lame ass Herman.

Some chick you'd love apparently has connections and said Urban to Texas is done and she's up in arms about it and has the sads

• Haha 1

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Man, that would be the motherload of letdowns. That or Harsin. I'd much rather try out Fickell 

well yeah but....we're Texas.  even though he didn't fire the coaches the "not fucking around" hiring of the softball and womens bball coaches gives me a small bit of hope we will take a real shot at Urban with the offer he can't refuse.  

Get ready though because we reeeaaally don't like to look like aggy and we are fighting the "we are an academic institution, making the world a better place" crowd.  they don't get riled up paying a million for some women's sports coaches.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

well yeah but....we're Texas.  even though he didn't fire the coaches the "not fucking around" hiring of the softball and womens bball coaches gives me a small bit of hope we will take a real shot at Urban with the offer he can't refuse.  

Get ready though because we reeeaaally don't like to look like aggy and we are fighting the "we are an academic institution, making the world a better place" crowd.  they don't get riled up paying a million for some women's sports coaches.

I'm the same way. I have this feeling that since he made some great hires for the WBB and Softball, that he will do the same for FB. I'm just worried that it'll be someone that will be a yawn and has no connections to the state (for recruiting purposes). So like you, I also have hope/worry 

11 minutes ago, TechTech said:

2020, where women and soft ass people make business decisions...no wonder this country is fucked

You think anyone who has gotten to the top hasn't fucked 10 plus people to get there. What do you not understand about the world being ruthless and cutthroat if you want to be the best. This isnt your smore fucking hand holding circle. People are pussies today and I I hope all of you simps get cucked.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Why are the odds of getting Meyer low?  Is he not really convinced he wants to come back? Do you think we won't offer enough? Or are there other assurances he wants that our administration isn't willing to make? I have questions, hopefully you have answers.

Because everyone that will be asked to pay a $1 to the buyout of Herman's staff and the treasure chest that it will take to get Urban and his hired assassins will want their dick rubbed out by someone in the administration.

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm the same way. I have this feeling that since he made some great hires for the WBB and Softball, that he will do the same for FB. I'm just worried that it'll be someone that will be a yawn and has no connections to the state (for recruiting purposes). So like you, I also have hope/worry 

Bill Byrne made some outstanding hires in non-revenue sports, and hired Billy Gillispie to coach basketball.

I can't fault him for the Franchione hire.  Everybody thought that was a good hire and the Bama fans were furious.  But ultimately they fucked us twice.  Took Bear Bryant, then sent us a poison pill.  And then he hired Mike Sherman, who turned out to be the best offensive line coach we've ever had.

In reality, I don't know how much of the decision regarding football hires was left to Byrne, or will be left to Del Conte.

But I offer this cautionary tale, nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because everyone that will be asked to pay a $1 to the buyout of Herman's staff and the treasure chest that it will take to get Urban and his hired assassins will want their dick rubbed out by someone in the administration.

Wait... that's on the menu for just a dollar?

Dude, I'll be like Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally.

"I got a whole stack of quarters and I was here first!"

Edited by Augustus
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

We're going to end up with something similar to Strong and Herman aren't we?  It's not going to be blockbuster I fear.  

My guess is this... we'll get Fickell and 4 years from now be bitching about the same shit. Maybe at that point Shanahan will have a few down years in SF and be ready to try out CFB. 

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Bill Byrne made some outstanding hires in non-revenue sports, and hired Billy Gillispie to coach basketball.

I can't fault him for the Franchione hire.  Everybody thought that was a good hire and the Bama fans were furious.  But ultimately they fucked us twice.  Took Bear Bryant, then sent us a poison pill.  And then he hired Mike Sherman, who turned out to be the best offensive line coach we've ever had.

In reality, I don't know how much of the decision regarding football hires was left to Byrne, or will be left to Del Conte.

But I offer this cautionary tale, nonetheless.

Most definitely. I actually thought Mike Sherman would pan out for y'all. Dude is a witch when recruiting o-line. He was a good recruiter and he seemed to connect with the kids. I still wonder what happened there. 

But yeah, I feel you. The cautionary tale worries me. These always have me happy only to be let down. I'm trying to temper expectations, but man do we need a recruiting boost. 

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Most definitely. I actually thought Mike Sherman would pan out for y'all. Dude is a witch when recruiting o-line. He was a good recruiter and he seemed to connect with the kids. I still wonder what happened there. 

Spoiler

Two problems stuck out pretty obviously.

The first is that he called games like he was coaching in the NFL, where games are a lot shorter and final scores are regularly much lower.  If you can move the chains consistently in full blown conservative mode, it works pretty well.  Jimbo actually does this pretty effectively.  Sherman's teams could not, and the frustrating thing is that in 2010 and 2011, his offenses were really good running up tempo.

Secondly, the teams were horrifically out of shape.  They got gassed quickly and permanently against the HUNH offenses in the Big 12.

Points one and two combined to give us the year of 2nd half blown leads in 2011.   It was brutal.  Like a train coming toward you at relatively low speed but you've got your foot stuck in the tracks and can't get out of the way.  Eventually... splat.

He did recruit surprisingly well and left Sumlin a cornucopia of talent on offense.  In 2012, when Malcom Kennedy was on the field, every player on that offense was eventually either drafted or made a team as an UDFA.  He even recruited a basketball player to play wide receiver, who's now a badass with Tampa Bay.

It was fun watching the Air Raid with NFL talent at every position and a truly mobile QB.

Spoilered because off-topic/thread derail

Edited by Augustus

12 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

You're in distinction without a difference land.  It was CDC's decision to not renew those contracts and he made great hires to replace them.  No material difference from firing.

so we just let Tom run out his contract, no material difference from firing.

SiAP

(Chip Brown) Sources: Talks on Herman's fate could start in 'next few days'

Tom Herman crunched the numbers. On fourth down. On how victories at Kansas State and Kansas would mean Texas finishing the season with a .700 winning percentage “much like the .714 winning percentage we had in 2018.” Now, Texas decision-makers might be getting ready to crunch their numbers on Herman. Serious discussions among UT officials about Herman’s fate could begin “in the next few days,” a source close to the situation told Horns247 Friday night.

Herman’s fate won’t be decided based on the outcome of Friday’s 23-20 loss at home to Iowa State on Senior Day. It was a game Texas controlled until two failed fourth-down decisions began a spiral that allowed the Cyclones to come back from a 10-point, third-quarter deficit. But the loss, which effectively eliminates the Longhorns from the Big 12 race, sure didn’t help Herman’s cause any.

“We’d worked it for two weeks and knew it was there,” Herman said of a fake punt that resulted in a 5-yard pass from punter Cameron Dicker to Cade Brewer - two yards short of the first down late in the third quarter. They did a good job defending Cade (Brewer). I think if you watch the replay, you’ll see Roschon Johnson wide open on the corner route, and we missed him.”

On his decision to forego a 30-yard field goal attempt that would’ve given Texas a seven-point lead midway through the fourth quarter, Herman said, “The analytics said to go for it. You go up by two scores there if you wind up converting and scoring a touchdown,” Herman continued. “You kick the field goal and you’re up by a touchdown. I mulled it over quite a bit, but felt confident in the play (offensive coordinator) Mike (Yurcich) had called. We didn’t get it.”

After the game, Texas Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams said on the Longhorn Network of Herman’s fourth-down decisions: “The coach is supposed to help the team, not hurt the team.” And that’s what UT officials have to decide: Have enough things happened - on and off the field - this season to convince them Herman is no longer the right guy to lead the Longhorns’ program?

Herman has yet to have a losing record - going 7-6, 10-4, 8-5 and 5-3 - for a winning percentage of .625 (30-18). Despite a 3-0 record in bowl games, including a Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia two years ago, Herman is 1-4 against Oklahoma, 1-3 against TCU and has seven losses as a ranked team against unranked opponents - most in FBS since 2017. Herman’s failure to have his team standing together for the post-game playing of The Eyes of Texas following the TCU and Oklahoma games - which also happened to be suck-the-air-out-of-the-program losses - was a huge sore spot with UT decision-makers, despite any pleas to the contrary.

We’ll soon see if a push by big-money donors to target Herman’s former boss - Urban Meyer - as UT’s next head coach may have accelerated judgment day for Herman. Would Meyer, who won two national titles at Florida (2006, 2008) and one with Herman at Ohio State (2014), be the first choice of first-year Texas president Jay Hartzell and/or athletic director Chris Del Conte?

Del Conte didn’t hire Herman. Former athletic director Mike Perrin and school president Greg Fenves did. And it was Fenves - not Del Conte - who signed off on a two-year contract extension for Herman following the 2018 season, sources told Horns247. “Herman’s agent (Trace Armstrong) went hard after Fenves for that extension following the Sugar Bowl win (over Georgia),” a source close to the situation told Horns247. “Del Conte wanted to wait on it. But he was overruled (by Fenves).”

Thanks to the extension, Herman is set to go from earning $6 million in 2020; to $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023. His contract buyout is $15 million - $5 million for each of the three years left on the contract after this season. Del Conte backed Herman after last year’s disappointing 7-5 regular season and shelled out more than $16 million in guaranteed salaries to Herman’s seven new assistant coaches, including new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and new defensive coordinator Chris Ash. Roughly $10.1 million remains on those guaranteed contracts.

It’d cost more than $25 million to buy out Herman and his assistants. It’d probably cost Texas $10 million per year over five to seven years to land Meyer, who is 56, sources told Horns247.com. A source close to Meyer told Horns247 that Meyer might be ready to get back into coaching. That source said Meyer is comfortable and enjoying working for FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff (which has its last episode on Dec. 19), but added, “He’d only consider Texas, USC and Notre Dame.”

Herman had to make hard decisions on Friday. Now, it appears to be the UT administration’s turn.

Edited by satyanash

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

So we ended up with Strong because Mack scuttled Saban?  that's the story?  i call bullshit.and we hired Herman because he was flavor du jour and LSU wanted him?We hired both these idiots, because we have/had idiotic(sensing a theme) leadership, at all levels, who don't have a plan and we did that because...wait for it...WE DON"T PRIORITIZE WINNING.  Maybe CDC will change that. remains to be seen.

oh yeah side note...we hired Shaka Smart because we don't prioritize winning.   There are things we prioritize but winning hasn't been one of them for about 15 years.  We are Cal.

I forgot who I was responding to...I know its a bit tough to understand but you have to have a plan if you want to prioritize winning.  We prioritize firing losing/fading coaches without a plan.

Yes outbidding LSU for Herman was stupid because we didn't have a plan to fire Charlie until he lost to Kansas.  we have dumbass boosters who act like Jerry Jones.

just firing shitty coaches after a losing season doesn't mean you are prioritizing winning.  prioritizing winning is not 8 and 9 win seasons.

Yeah, that narrative is complete bullshit. The plan was never "search out qualified candidates to replace Charlie Strong."

It was "When will it be safe to fire Charlie Strong so we can hire Tom Herman?" The Kansas debacle brought it all into alignment. The Herman fixation was laser-focused and long lasting, going back to midway in Strong's second season in Austin. And it was idiotic, as some of us said at the time. He was a heroball coach then and is still a heroball coach now, only Ehlinger is not as dominant a P5 QB as Greg Ward was in G5. 

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

SiAP

"Analytics said to go for it."

I'm convinced that the game of football is the sport in which analytics are the most useless.

Very often, they don't inform great decision making, and they frequently give us some absurd predictions.

5 minutes ago, Augustus said:

"Analytics said to go for it."

I'm convinced that the game of football is the sport in which analytics are the most useless.

Very often, they don't inform great decision making, and they frequently give us some absurd predictions.

fucking analytics bullshit.  I'd like some analytics guy go through the season and see where he went against the analytics. I bet its 50/50 or even more towards going against the analytics.

this is the new way for coaches to obfuscate shitty decisions.  its a low scoring game.  you gave them 3 with the dumbass fake punt.  get the 3 back your dumbass coaching gave them.

what he is saying is he doesn't trust his D to stop them and stop a 2 point conversion or doesn't trust his O to score again.

Herman's O is a joke at this point.  mastermind my ass.

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Despite a 3-0 record in bowl games, including a Sugar Bowl victory over Georgia two years ago, Herman is 1-4 against Oklahoma, 1-3 against TCU and has seven losses as a ranked team against unranked opponents - most in FBS since 2017.

Get.  The.  Fuck.  Out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Smith was Ear Bruce's nephew or something like that

Grandson. Urban owed a lot to Earle Bruce.

59 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

But yeah, I feel you. The cautionary tale worries me. These always have me happy only to be let down. I'm trying to temper expectations, but man do we need a recruiting boost. 

mikeshermansleeping.jpg

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Herman said they worked on the 4th down fake punt for 2 weeks? So 2 weeks of preparation led to a fucking 5 yard pass well short of the sticks? Bravo you fucking loser.

Seriously. Holy fuck. 2 weeks of prep and you throw a 5 yard pass when you need 10 yards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. OU being better than us year in and year out is like water being wet sadly. Besides a few outlier years of when we were very good, OU has owned us. Even if we beat them at the Cotton Bowl, they still find a way to the Big 12 title game and get to the national championship game, 2008, 2018 come to mind.

But if aggy somehow found themselves into the playoffs before us, man, that is going to be rough for this fanbase and the donors. That could put serious pressure on CDC to turn on the heat and back up the Brinks truck for Urban. This actually could be the year it happens. Mond looks better than previous years and the SEC West is pretty shitty outside of Bama. And the whole covid thing has this season upside down. aggy does not even need to get to the SEC championship game. 

Losing the next game to Kansas could also make it happen. Although, Strong lost to Kansas in 2016 and we didn't shake anything up. We go and hire lame ass Herman.

Dammit I hope LSU can find their shit tomorrow and upset aggy.  

We will lose to K-State because we suck donkey balls when we play K-Stste, we swallow them  when play K-Stae in  Manhattan   

35 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Herman said they worked on the 4th down fake punt for 2 weeks? So 2 weeks of preparation led to a fucking 5 yard pass well short of the sticks? Bravo you fucking loser.

The fake punt from our 20 something yard line?  Yea sure Tom..

No respectable team in America no matter what level practices on a fake punt for two weeks.  Tom you are an idiot to think people would believe that nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Cut him some slack; nobody plans for a fake punt when you need 10 yards and your close to your own end zone That would be a stupid call.

The funny thing is... Mack Brown did this a handful of times.. and was successful almost every time. 

2 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Cut him some slack; nobody plans for a fake punt when you need 10 yards and your close to your own end zone That would be a stupid call.

Am I missing something here? We had the ball at Iowa State's 48 when we ran the fake punt.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Well, shit.  There it is, folks.  The wokerati have made their intentions clear.  If it's Meyer, there will be no peace until he's fired.  University leadership (I don't care which one) is too fucking cowardly to stand up to this kind of extortion.

User name checks outs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Looks like they need to get started

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
Bad link
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

"They did a good job defending Cade (Brewer). I think if you watch the replay, you’ll see Roschon Johnson wide open on the corner route, and we missed him.”

This quote is so perfectly Herman. Hey, don't blame me I made a perfect call, blame our back up punter for not being able to go through the progressions and get to his second read.  

Fucking hate Tom. Always blaming everyone else and never taking responsibility. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yep, same kinda defensiveness that Mack used to pull.  Difference is Mack was charismatic about it, Herman just sounds like an over-analytical, condescending prick about it.  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Yep, same kinda defensiveness that Mack used to pull.  Difference is Mack was charismatic about it, Herman just sounds like an over-analytical, condescending prick about it.  

I think the bigger difference is the history of blaming players between the two. 

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

SiAP

The interesting nugget in this story for me is that it was Fenves who made the call for Herman’s extension, and that CDC was opposed to it. Has anyone ever reported that before? That gives me some hope that CDC might know what he is doing.  Of course, it could be some propaganda out out by CDC’s people to use a guy who isn’t around anymore as a scapegoat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic