Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Apex73 said:

Wow great response.  Do you have anything that suggests what I said is untrue or is your pussy just hurt?

Look if it was joe pa or Sandusky or even briles I’d agree with you. Those guys shouldn’t be around kids anymore (two of them can’t be). But Meyer? Are you shitting me? Because he had some thugs on his WINNING teams? Does everyone forget we had Sergio Kindle driving cars through west campus apartment walls under Mack? But it didn’t matter because we were winning. How is it any different? This moral high ground bullshit is pussy shit for people who don’t like to win

• Hook 'Em 3

Really?  How many of our players do you think have a realistic shot at the NFL?  Even if we start getting that level of talent on the regular, at the most it's gonna be like 10-15% percent of the team.  It just amazes me how everyone's standard's change when we aren't winning games.   We should be doing our homework and finding a coach that checks all the boxes we want not settling for someone who will almost certainly put a giant stain on the program's integrity.  

• Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Really?  How many of our players do you think have a realistic shot at the NFL?  Even if we start getting that level of talent on the regular, at the most it's gonna be like 10-15% percent of the team.  It just amazes me how everyone's standard's change when we aren't winning games.   We should be doing our homework and finding a coach that checks all the boxes we want not settling for someone who will almost certainly put a giant stain on the program's integrity.  

tenor.gif?itemid=13250731

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Explain how the stain on the programs integrity would compare to Utah, Florida, or Ohio States. Maybe people won’t think you’re such a dip shit if you use facts instead of conjecture. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

he could have fired both of them the year before but he let them coach out their contracts to avoid a firing.

Neither of those situations were dumpster fires that threatened those sports'  ability to seriously compete in the future.  Neither sport were in a situation that required immediate action.  Those sports don't prop up the rest of the athletic department and fund stuff on the academic side.  The alumni weren't howling for change.  Letting their contracts run out was a way to see if they could turn it around, if not, he'd hire someone who would turn it around.  And CDC proved that with the  transformative hires he made.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

How many of our players do you think have a realistic shot at the NFL?

Just off the top of my head:

Ossai

Overshown

Foster

Jamison

Probably another DB - maybe Adimora 

Collins

Coburn

Cosmi

Sam (maybe)

Bijan

Whitt

One of Moore or Eagles prob

Wiley

Dicker

That's 14 right there that I would be surprised if they never landed on at least a practice squad. 

So what dumbass point were you trying to make?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 936horn said:

Look if it was joe pa or Sandusky or even briles I’d agree with you. Those guys shouldn’t be around kids anymore (two of them can’t be). But Meyer? Are you shitting me? Because he had some thugs on his WINNING teams? Does everyone forget we had Sergio Kindle driving cars through west campus apartment walls under Mack? But it didn’t matter because we were winning. How is it any different? This moral high ground bullshit is pussy shit for people who don’t like to win

Do I seriously need to explain to you the difference between a college kid who makes mistakes and drives drunk is a completely different thing than having a team with over 31 arrests in 5 years and not for "boys being boys" kind of shenanigans.  I mean he had Aaron Hernandez on his team.  Then covered up domestic abuse from one of his coaches at his next stop.  I'm not saying we didn't have a few problems here and there under Mack but comparing these 2 coaches morally is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Okay, let’s start with...

1) has won national championships

Who ya got?

The only 2 coaches in the programs history that have won national titles here didn't have one before we hired them so I'm not sure  why that's your number one metric.  I personally would like to have Matt Campbell and have been pushing for that for awhile.

Edited by Apex73

The only 2 coaches in the programs history that have won national titles here didn't have one before we hired them so I'm not sure that's why that's your number one metric.  I personally would like to have Matt Campbell and have been pushing for that for awhile.

Hell nah. 

3 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Do I seriously need to explain to you the difference between a college kid who makes mistakes and drives drunk is a completely different thing than having a team with over 31 arrests in 5 years and not for "boys being boys" kind of shenanigans.  I mean he had Aaron Hernandez on his team.  Then covered up domestic abuse from one of his coaches at his next stop.  I'm not saying we didn't have a few problems here and there under Mack but comparing these 2 coaches morally is ridiculous.

You're right. Repeatedly driving drunk is much better than dealing a little pot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

If you just say it about 20 more times you will start converting people in large numbers.  Just ask @Randolph Duke

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The only 2 coaches in the programs history that have won national titles here didn't have one before we hired them so I'm not sure that's why that's your number one metric.  I personally would like to have Matt Campbell and have been pushing for that for awhile.

I personally would like for you to stop double spacing after every sentence. That is morally reprehensible unless you are using a typewriter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

You're right. Repeatedly driving drunk is much better than dealing a little pot.

It's not just dealing a little pot.  He literally had a gang member on his team and Florida had multiple sexual assault allegations against their players. College kids everywhere drive drunk because they are stupid kids.  

• Fuck You 1

Don't triple down on stupid.  Yes; they beat us, but let's be honest they lost to the Ragin Cajuns...

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Just off the top of my head:

Ossai

Overshown

Foster

Jamison

Probably another DB - maybe Adimora 

Collins

Coburn

Cosmi

Sam (maybe)

Bijan

Whitt

One of Moore or Eagles prob

Wiley

Dicker

That's 14 right there that I would be surprised if they never landed on at least a practice squad. 

So what dumbass point were you trying to make?

t’vondre sweat.  morice blackwell will play in the NFL.  there are more, too. 

It's not just dealing a little pot.  He literally had a gang member on his team and Florida had multiple sexual assault allegations against their players. College kids everywhere drive drunk because they are stupid kids.  

Allegations... glad you found them guilty

• Hook 'Em 1

Look, I'm sorry that you have a history of multiple DUI's, but I fail to see how it advances the discussion here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

So we lose a woke sports anchor....   Are you sad?

I will be a little bit, but only because I love writers that give me visuals I can see. I could picture her taking off that media hat and putting on that fan hat, and it really made a difference for me in what she said next.  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Yeah, OSU, UF and Utah have all suffered greatly since UM left. WTF? 

Coaches we should not hire this time around are: 1) coordinators from top tier P5 programs and 2) successful coaches from G5 or similar P5 programs (including Matt Campbell). Texas is not the place where you try a coach to see if he can make it. It takes lot more than coaching to be successful at a big time program and success at other small programs or as as a coordinator at a big program doesn't necessarily translate to success here.

CDC has made splash hires from big time programs so far. I hope that will continue when it comes to the biggest revenue generating sport.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Coaches we should not hire this time around are: 1) coordinators from top tier P5 programs and 2) successful coaches from G5 or similar P5 programs (including Matt Campbell). Texas is not the place where you try a coach to see if he can make it. It takes lot more than coaching to be successful at a big time program and success at other small programs or as as a coordinator at a big program doesn't necessarily translate to success here.

CDC has made splash hires from big time programs so far. I hope that will continue when it comes to the biggest revenue generating sport.

So we keep Herman!

12 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

The only 2 coaches in the programs history that have won national titles here didn't have one before we hired them so I'm not sure  why that's your number one metric.  I personally would like to have Matt Campbell and have been pushing for that for awhile.

Matt Campbell is Herman 2.0 without the mensa

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Look I'm just as upset as everyone else and definitely think that Herman needs to go but I really don't think we should hire Urban Meyer.  The man simply should not be allowed to be around kids anymore.  There is no moral argument there.  

Yes there is and we’re done having it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So don’t try what OU did after multiple failed experiments?

Don’t do what UGA did to replace a stagnated coach?

Don’t do what Clemson did (in effect) that put them in Elite status?

Don’t do what Notre Dame did that, mock all anyone wants, got them relevant in the CFP mix multiple seasons?

And last but not least....don’t do what UF did after floundering post-Spurrier?

It isn’t the resumé.... it’s the person.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So we keep Herman!

Mensa was #2 in my post. That was a failed experiment, as we all can admit by now. CDC has to be brave and target big time coaches and win the battle with more money and incentives that their current employers can't match. That's how he was able to attract other big time coaches so far. A&M being in playoff contention will incentivize our boosters to open up their wallet.

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Mensa was #2 in my post. That was a failed experiment, as we all can admit by now. CDC has to be brave and target big time coaches and win the battle with more money and incentives that their current employers can't match. That's how he was able to attract other big time coaches so far. A&M being in playoff contention will incentivize our boosters to open up their wallet.

You think?   

You might be right. It got them to giddy up on facility improvements.  

Having said that I hope LSU can pull it off tonight and the playoffs becomes another chapter of aggy fools gold. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

35 minutes ago, freyguy said:

Yep, just look where he's led Sam.

jumping bbc one GIF by BBC

Oh...did that little guy make it? Holy shit. What a badass! 

and yes, thank you Tom! We had (sports media) consensus Heisman level QB candidate and watched him regress in his senior year. Stellar job! Top notch! 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, MirrOlure said:

So don’t try what OU did after multiple failed experiments?

Don’t do what UGA did to replace a stagnated coach?

Don’t do what Clemson did (in effect) that put them in Elite status?

Don’t do what Notre Dame did that, mock all anyone wants, got them relevant in the CFP mix multiple seasons?

And last but not least....don’t do what UF did after floundering post-Spurrier?

It isn’t the resumé.... it’s the person.

These examples are few and far between. For every one of these examples, there are too many more that failed. Our admins haven't shown the ability to pick those hidden gems in decades, and it's not going to change now. OU promoted from within when they were a well oiled machine. Notre Dame hired a proven coach from a small program and yet it took him a while to get it going. Kirby hasn't won shit despite recruiting gangbusters. I think we are aiming a bit higher.

30 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It is insane to me that people actually believe a coach that wins “the wrong way” would do more damage to the image of the University than whatever the fuck we’ve been doing for the past decade.

Just to be clear, sports are a part of any university. Take away sports, the university will still be there. College presidents PRIMARILY care about sports not embarrassing the university, believe it or not.

I'll explain it two ways. UT sports brings in about $300m per year. About 15 yrs ago, UT science direct research grant funding was $3b per year (indirects would add 50-80% on top of that). So UT's added a med school since then so it'll be so much more than that now. UT sports are huge, but they are never going outpace the capacity of the academic portion of the university.

Sports also has the potential to really embarrass the school. My wife knows nothing about sports but knows that Penn St is where the kept a child rapist on staff for a generation. When school presidents forget this, they end up where LSU is now, Baylor was a few years ago, or almost in jail, like the Penn St president.

Edited by quigley

Just now, quigley said:

Just to be clear, sports are a part of any university. Take away sports, the university will still be there. College president PRIMARILY care about sports not embarrassing the university, believe it or not.

I'll explain it two ways. UT sports brings in about $300m per year. About 15 yrs ago, UT science direct research grant funding was $3b per year (indirects would add 50-80% on top of that). So UT's added a med school since then so it'll be so much more than that now.

Sports has the potential to really embarrass the school. My wife knows nothing about sports but knows that Penn St is where the kept a child rapist on staff for a generation. When school presidents forget this, they end up where LSU is now, Baylor was a few years ago, or almost in jail, like the Penn St president.

Good to know that your wife hasn't heard anything bad about Utah, Florida, or Ohio State

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

Just to be clear, sports are a part of any university. Take away sports, the university will still be there. College presidents PRIMARILY care about sports not embarrassing the university, believe it or not.

I'll explain it two ways. UT sports brings in about $300m per year. About 15 yrs ago, UT science direct research grant funding was $3b per year (indirects would add 50-80% on top of that). So UT's added a med school since then so it'll be so much more than that now. UT sports are huge, but they are never going outpace the capacity of the academic portion of the university.

Sports also has the potential to really embarrass the school. My wife knows nothing about sports but knows that Penn St is where the kept a child rapist on staff for a generation. When school presidents forget this, they end up where LSU is now, Baylor was a few years ago, or almost in jail, like the Penn St president.

Actually presidents see sports as a big donor driver. Football wins the money comes in.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic