Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

13 minutes ago, Ultimate Failure said:

Every single advantage that people cite making Texas a great job can also be viewed as a disadvantage:

Advantage                    Disadvantage
--------------------         --------------------
Austin = fun                 Austin = distracting
Rich BMDs                    Meddling BMDs
History/tradition            Expectations/entitlement
Huge salary                  Expectations
Passionate fanbase           Demanding fanbase
LHN exposure                 LHN demands on coaches' time
Huge in-state talent pool    Huge competition for in-state talent
Media limelight              Media scrutiny

Did I forget anything?

NCAA Football 08 Dynasty Mode Spotlight - GameSpot

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You ever do a job where a bunch of people who didn't know how to do it told you how to do it the whole time, wouldn't listen to you when you told them they were fucking it up, and then blamed you for their failures?

Isn’t this the definition of a job?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, D_Goose said:

Reasons to hold out hope (add ones I'm forgetting or delete post/ban user if some of these have been disproven at this point I'm unaware of):

- Urban's tOSU hiring timeline/history from 2011

- primary "No" story broken by pseudo-journalist Chip Brown (FCB) (Related, see: FCB's history for wrong reports/Herman to LSU/UT to PAC-12)

- FCB article doesn't state Meyer provided UT definitive "No" - only "leaning that way."

- other "journalists" reporting Meyer's "No" appear to be just piggy-backing FCB's story and/or "source"

- plausible theory that a "No" answer was leaked in order to give Urban, potential Urban staff hires, and UT admins some cover to make it at least another week (or maybe more) without media scrutiny. (Related, see: Urban's tOSU hiring history/timeline)

- supposedly connected posters Mr. Orange, Caddox remaining optimistic and insisting definitive "No" has not been provided that they're aware of.

#NightCrewSunshinePumpingMotherFucker

He hasn’t even told anyone in the media his first “no” yet, much less his second or third.  This thread still has 2,000 more pages to go before the national championship is over. Lord help us. 

25 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I haven’t heard back from my thread, that lane may be closed to me for good. I hope not bc it’s become like crack to me.

I spoke with two people on the phone. One works for a BMD that isn’t as active as he used to be, but has talked to a few people that are. He said he had no details except that it’s not happening and we are moving on.

The other guy I talked to is a well connected guy and while he’s not at the level of our biggest donors, he gives enough money to co-own a suite with his brother. He’s an Austin guy and hosts an event every year where he helps CDC raise some money. He helped a lot with the new hall of fame in the NEZ. He said he was celebrating on Saturday too. As far as what happened, he was told Meyer started to get really stressed out about the whole process. We talked for a long time so I don’t want to write a novel here, but I don’t think Meyer ever believed we would actually pony up and give him just a stupidly good offer. He ended negotiations satisfied with what had been done, I’d guess that’s where the media started getting positive it would happen. Then a rumor went around on Saturday that things were being finalized this week. That’s when I got so pumped on Saturday and told a lot of curious people it was “done”. 

This guy doesn’t know what happened on Sunday. He’s still waiting to get the full word, but Meyer basically said he’s sorry but he’s out and cited the stress of the process and decision was an indicator he wasn’t ready to come back. It sounds like everyone involved on our side did a great job, so at least it’s not a Saban situation where our typical dumpster fire screws up the deal. He thinks there’s a big detail that he doesn’t know about that ended up hurting us. I’m sure it will come out later that will tie a lot of this together, because something just doesn’t add up.

The stress of the process L O L. What a fucking joke. That is either what I referenced earlier about this being a well conceived plan to keep from shitting on Ohio state or Meyer did his buddy Mack a favor to screw us as bad as he could by ditching us at the doors to prom. 

30 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I haven’t heard back from my thread, that lane may be closed to me for good. I hope not bc it’s become like crack to me.

I spoke with two people on the phone. One works for a BMD that isn’t as active as he used to be, but has talked to a few people that are. He said he had no details except that it’s not happening and we are moving on.

The other guy I talked to is a well connected guy and while he’s not at the level of our biggest donors, he gives enough money to co-own a suite with his brother. He’s an Austin guy and hosts an event every year where he helps CDC raise some money. He helped a lot with the new hall of fame in the NEZ. He said he was celebrating on Saturday too. As far as what happened, he was told Meyer started to get really stressed out about the whole process. We talked for a long time so I don’t want to write a novel here, but I don’t think Meyer ever believed we would actually pony up and give him just a stupidly good offer. He ended negotiations satisfied with what had been done, I’d guess that’s where the media started getting positive it would happen. Then a rumor went around on Saturday that things were being finalized this week. That’s when I got so pumped on Saturday and told a lot of curious people it was “done”. 

This guy doesn’t know what happened on Sunday. He’s still waiting to get the full word, but Meyer basically said he’s sorry but he’s out and cited the stress of the process and decision was an indicator he wasn’t ready to come back. It sounds like everyone involved on our side did a great job, so at least it’s not a Saban situation where our typical dumpster fire screws up the deal. He thinks there’s a big detail that he doesn’t know about that ended up hurting us. I’m sure it will come out later that will tie a lot of this together, because something just doesn’t add up.

At least one part of this is consistent with what @closetojumping heard and that is that Meyer is a kind of a flake.  

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You ever do a job where a bunch of people who didn't know how to do it told you how to do it the whole time, wouldn't listen to you when you told them they were fucking it up, and then blamed you for their failures?

Isn’t this the definition of a job?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah so... if the AD makes the hires, and the president and boosters are telling him how to do his job instead of letting him do his job... how is that his fault? 

Because that's what you're doing to CDC right now. You're being shitty.

Lol

42 minutes ago, Caddox said:

the stress of the process and decision was an indicator he wasn’t ready to come back.

This made me laugh. Stress of the process: highest paid coach in cfb and Texas saying yes to everything that he has demanded. Oh well, might be time to check out of UT football for a couple years...current trajectory makes me want to vomit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

I’ve laid out precisely what CDC should have and for all we know may have done. I do not believe we are in negotiations with Urban. It’s either done and on hold till the end of the season or it’s off. My point is if CDC has made the decision to hire a new coach then he needs to cut Herman loose after the Kansas game or sooner if it’s canceled. 

And I have a couple of interns combing this thread in shifts to enlighten me. CDC isn’t going anywhere. UM has sailed because the man is done coaching. He has health issues. He tried to ignore them once, then OSU happened. Now he’s happy. Money can’t buy everything, apparently.

Herman will be our coach next season. Hopefully this episode scared him. Our big dicks aren’t going to buy him out and end up with Fickle. They swung for the fences and popped out.  No shame in that. What do you expect to happen? CDC should be on notice because our top candidate didn’t pan out?

• Hook 'Em 1

And I have a couple of interns combing this thread in shifts to enlighten me. CDC isn’t going anywhere. UM has sailed because the man is done coaching. He has health issues. He tried to ignore them once, then OSU happened. Now he’s happy. Money can’t buy everything, apparently.
Herman will be our coach next season. Hopefully this episode scared him. Our big dicks aren’t going to buy him out and end up with Fickle. They swung for the fences and popped out.  No shame in that. What do you expect to happen? CDC should be on notice because our top candidate didn’t pan out?
How do I get you my 9.95?!

23 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Can we get the interns to track planes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caddox said:

Sounds like Urban didn't expect us to call his bluff.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, I expect where things stand is that with UM giving a no that CDC told him to keep thinking about it and that we'll hold tight and do nothing for the next few weeks if he changes his mind.  It's too close to ESD for a Plan B to matter so there's no reason to rush into something there.  Those coaches still have games going on, as do we with potentially KU as well as a bowl.  I suspect we'll stand pat for the next few weeks in hopes of a change of heart.

CDC may do some probing for Plan Bs, but not get too far down the road with anyone for at least a couple of weeks to allow for a change by UM.  The thing about Plan Bs is that you only need one if you have a job opening.  Everyone assumes we'll just buyout Herman for someone else now.  I wouldn't be surprised though if some if not a lot of the BMDs willingness to shell out a $15 million buyout was predicated on getting UM.  There may not be the same willingness for anyone else.  It's easy for us to say TH has to go but it isn't our money.

As such, I wouldn't be surprised to see CDCs hands being tied and having to ride it out with no change for next year, with the slight hope that maybe UM changes his mind either in the near future, or perhaps even next year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

You joke but I can tell we have a lot of young folks here when the Chip misses that they reference are LSU hiring Herman and us going to PAC 12.

Undoubtedly the biggest FCB miss was when he reported it was a certainty we were finishing 2nd in the BCS in 2008. That day we got to get our nuts kicked in by shit eating grin Switzer letting us know that wasn’t going to be the case.

Yep, and it's also pretty bizarre that (after relentlessly ripping & ridiculing FCB as an abject unreliable joke throughout the entire history of this board and the last) as soon as FCB says UM is leaning to a "No", most people say it's all over, wave the white flag, and ridicule the people that don't buy his bullshit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

So, I expect where things stand is that with UM giving a no that CDC told him to keep thinking about it and that we'll hold tight and do nothing for the next few weeks if he changes his mind.  It's too close to ESD for a Plan B to matter so there's no reason to rush into something there.  Those coaches still have games going on, as do we with potentially KU as well as a bowl.  I suspect we'll stand pat for the next few weeks in hopes of a change of heart.

CDC may do some probing for Plan Bs, but not get too far down the road with anyone for at least a couple of weeks to allow for a change by UM.  The thing about Plan Bs is that you only need one if you have a job opening.  Everyone assumes we'll just buyout Herman for someone else now.  I wouldn't be surprised though if some if not a lot of the BMDs willingness to shell out a $15 million buyout was predicated on getting UM.  There may not be the same willingness for anyone else.  It's easy for us to say TH has to go but it isn't our money.

As such, I wouldn't be surprised to see CDCs hands being tied and having to ride it out with no change for next year, with the slight hope that maybe UM changes his mind either in the near future, or perhaps even next year.

If we had the money for the numbers rumored for UM and his potential staff, then we have the money to buy out Tom Herman for Plan B.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I don't follow the rationale that we might have to retain Herman now because we won't be able to raise the funds to buy out the coaching staff's contracts because of lack of excitement for a new coach not named Meyer limiting some big donors check writing ability.  I mean, if we retain Herman another year, I'd have to think the impact on finances would take an even worse hit, as merchandise sales would suck, ticket sales would slow, donations for the renovations would cease, etc.  Plus it sets  you back at least a year, probably more on the recruiting front which prolongs us sucking and bleeds more money yet.  Yeah, the optics of firing this staff during a pandemic isn't great, but Freaking South Carolina just did it.  It can be done.  And monetarily speaking, I think it makes more sense to fire them than not to when you factor all costs into the equation.   Hell, Nike deal and LHN deal both end in roughly 10 years, and if we don't right the ship sooner than later, suddenly those negotiations and pricing get much tougher as well.  Bottom line, CDC shouldn't use the bottom line as an excuse to hang onto Herman in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Sounds like Urban didn't expect us to call his bluff.

Yeah. He told us “no”, we did a public dog and pony show and we still got a gotdamn “no”...smiley face.. ,

Now we we are back to square one, except Herman knows we tried off him. How motivated do you think the prick will be when he knows we’re not buying him out and he actually has all the leverage now?

3 minutes ago, UrbanTheMeyer said:

No we don't. That money only exists if Urban Meyer is the hire. BMDs wont pay the buyout to hire fucking Luke Fickell.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

That's such a retarded blunder by UT if they didnt get the committed money for Herman regardless of Urban's outcome.  They must have realized that once they start pursuing someone else, then the current coach is essentially a sitting duck.  You don't go for anyone unless you are 100% ready to get rid of TH.

Just now, Spankytoes said:

Yeah. He told us “no”, we did a public dog and pony show and we still got a gotdamn “no”...smiley face.. ,

Now we we are back to square one, except Herman knows we tried off him. How motivated do you think the prick will be when he knows we’re not buying him out and he actually has all the leverage now?

What makes you think we're still not buying him out? Don't be silly.

3 minutes ago, UrbanTheMeyer said:

No we don't. That money only exists if Urban Meyer is the hire. BMDs wont pay the buyout to hire fucking Luke Fickell.

Lol. Walk us through the financing of the buyout and what funds will or will not be available if Urban isn’t the next head coach. 

You have no clue, so please quit acting otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, UrbanTheMeyer said:

Which BMDs do you know? The ones I know are ready to pay to get rid of Herman regardless.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

I guess I don't follow the rationale that we might have to retain Herman now because we won't be able to raise the funds to buy out the coaching staff's contracts because of lack of excitement for a new coach not named Meyer limiting some big donors check writing ability.  I mean, if we retain Herman another year, I'd have to think the impact on finances would take an even worse hit, as merchandise sales would suck, ticket sales would slow, donations for the renovations would cease, etc.  Plus it sets  you back at least a year, probably more on the recruiting front which prolongs us sucking and bleeds more money yet.  Yeah, the optics of firing this staff during a pandemic isn't great, but Freaking South Carolina just did it.  It can be done.  And monetarily speaking, I think it makes more sense to fire them than not to when you factor all costs into the equation.   Hell, Nike deal and LHN deal both end in roughly 10 years, and if we don't right the ship sooner than later, suddenly those negotiations and pricing get much tougher as well.  Bottom line, CDC shouldn't use the bottom line as an excuse to hang onto Herman in my opinion.

You're mixing your finances here.  I'm talking about the BMD's money and questioning their willingness to spend it for a TH buyout if UM isn't part of the deal.  You're talking about CDC's finances.  Yeah, he may want to go ahead and go with a plan B for the reasons you state, but whether to pony up the money for a buyout isn't his decision since that wasn't going to be his money.  Conversely, all the negative financial impacts you refer to aren't going to impact the BMD's pockets, so that isn't likely a motivation for them to spend the money for a buyout.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

His ass better be motivated if he comes back or he will only further prove our point about him being an arrogant prick and a shitty coach.  He better clean up his act and grow up.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I've been playing this in my mind. Either, he's a professional and hits it hard next year, in a "look what you tried to get rid of" revenge tour, or he sucks worse than this year and fucks himself out of a good job when we divorce.

Either way the announcers will incessantly bring it up multiple times a game next year.

“Look how great he’s doing, revenge for Texas wanting to fire him” or “Is Tom's focus or drive there? As a reminder Texas was ready to fire him at the end of last season”

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic