Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

I think the Barton post is encouraging. Didn’t want to discuss Texas on the air, alluded to coaching again. He knows Barton has a big mouth and will post anything he says on the internet so he’s not going to give him anything that will give away his position. He didn’t want to discuss Texas because he didn’t want to commit or give anything away.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If Bellmont  has their guy, they need to go ahead and fire and then hire within the next 24/48 hours.   No sense in kicking the can down the road or even worse yet use a search committee.   I want to slit my wrist whenever I hear of a committee hiring a new coach...   It's a clusterfuck waiting to happen when the committee hire ends up being a giant dud.  But damn one of them who had input gets to wash their hands including the AD and University President because the blame goes back to the committee.  Screw that!   

CDC was hired to the be a CEO type of AD..   Hire the new HC and then present it to a called special  meeting of the BOR and be done.   

I don't think we have our guy in hand unless it's something with Urban and both sides are holding back so he can more seamlessly cherry-pick his guys off the OSU staff at the proper time. Otherwise, I feel pretty certain that they're running all traps looking for Herman's replacement and will likely make some kind of move between now and any bowl game that we might have. The least likely scenario sees us go into the spring with Herman as our head coach for 2021 season.

8 minutes ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

I really like Skyline a few times a year (or did when I lived in Ohio).  I just don't consider it to be chili.  But I'm not sure what I would think of it if I hadn't grown up with it.

Yeah it’s such a great meal that it’s never left the Ohio area because chefs worldwide are scared that they can’t prepare it properly...or because nobody else wants to eat it. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

I think the real story is simple:  Notre Dame is his dream job, and he wants to see if Brian Kelly goes to the NFL this year.  So Texas will keep getting a soft, "No at this time, I'm just not sure about how it would affect my health" until a few days/weeks after ND's season ends.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

I thought there was 0% chance UM was going to take the job, but that interview is causing me to reconsider.

Here's the thing: he could have easily said "I'm open to taking the perfect job in the future, but where I'm right now is that it would impact my health too much, so I'm not going to be taking a job this year."  That would have relieved a lot of people of some anxiety and uncertainty-- OSU assistants that he might take with him, Herman, Herman's assistants, fans of both fanbases, family friends, etc.  

But that's not what he said.  He said nothing about this year.  He just made a general statement.  So now there's a lot of people whose lives would be impacted if he takes the job, who are going to need to twist in the wind a while longer.  And if he was truly decided on not taking a job this year due to his health, I don't see any reason in the world that he wouldn't just state clearly that it wasn't going to be this year.  He wouldn't need to mention Texas, or confirm that Texas contacted him, or anything.

So, I'm not sure if it was just imprecise phrasing on his part, or if he's playing games for ratings or to screw with Herman, or if he is still open to the idea of accepting the UT job this year.  It's sort of puzzling.

It's because he's taking the Texas job.

• Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

So, that second flight's plane has been at;  State College, Raleigh Durham, and OSU in the last couple of days.

So, before heading to State College it was at BWI which is 30 minutes from UM.

It has been in Tampa, Houston, La Grange TX, and Shreveport in the last 10 days.  Didn't someone say to watch Shreveport for Eltife action?

6 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

And what if the new head coach has agreed in principle but wants to wait to be announced until he gets his guys ready to go who have asked him to wait till their season is done? Where does that put CDC? 

I'd be ok with this actually because this will be a "tell" it's either a current HC who has fish on his plater right now he needs to fry like a conference championship for either the national playoffs or New Years 6 bowls.  Or indeed it's Urban and he wants to get some of his band back together from OSU and he has to wait it out until next Saturdays game with NW to let that cat out of the bag..  But if it's somebody like Luke Fickell from Cincy, why wait?

Edited by Nueces River Rat

17 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

The interview with Shelley Meyer that someone posted earlier seems to rule out the NFL. She didn’t hesitate an instant to rule out the NFL when asked. No pause to search for the right careful words, just started shaking her head before she even spoke. 

Yep.

21 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Something I hadn’t considered. Do we have a control sample of an instance when someone approached UM and he didn’t take the job?

According to his wife in that recent interview above, the Bengals years ago.

54 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Here you go

jaqi3jH.png

Oh fuck this guy. A week ago urban was never coaching again. Now he thinks he might be done with college but not coaching,  oh and by the way he told me all this stuff about Texas but it was all off the record so I can't say any of it here. 

This is two instances where urban has had the chance to definitively put the Texas rumors to bed. He didn't with cowfuck and it appears he didn't with the mouthbreather. I guess we will see tonight. 

I'm now at the point where i think it is between Texas and notre dame. I think he picks ND over Texas because that has been his dream job forever and he was strongly rumored to be going there from Utah when he suddenly took Florida. 

Problem is,  ND isn't open and may not be unless Kelly goes to the NFL.  Does Kelly do that? Is urban slow playing it to see if he does?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Orange said:

It's because he's taking the Texas job.

Certainly a possibility.

I will say, literally everything I have ever seen, heard, or read (mainly his book Above the Line) about the man leads me to believe that he would get started immediately and try to get Ewers in the fold.  The idea that he'd let Ewers go to Ohio State when he has a decent shot of getting him on his team is just not at all consistent with who I think he is.  He could take the job without taking any assistants with him, and just recruit before NSD1. 

I mean, how much do you really want a coach that has so little dedication to your program that he'll let one of the highest rated QBs in recruiting services history go to Ohio State, because he likes them or cares about his legacy or whatever?  If a coach was trying to pull that bullshit when getting hired by OSU, I would be deeply unhappy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

It has been in Tampa, Houston, La Grange TX, and Shreveport in the last 10 days.  Didn't someone say to watch Shreveport for Eltife action?

Eltife would fly out of Pounds in Tyler or East Texas Regional in Longview. Shrevport is a bit too far to cover smoke imo

Just now, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

Certainly a possibility.

I will say, literally everything I have ever seen, heard, or read (mainly his book Above the Line) about the man leads me to believe that he would get started immediately and try to get Ewers in the fold.  The idea that he'd let Ewers go to Ohio State when he has a decent shot of getting him on his team is just not at all consistent with who I think he is.  He could take the job without taking any assistants with him, and just recruit before NSD1. 

I mean, how much do you really want a coach that has so little dedication to your program that he'll let one of the highest rated QBs in recruiting services history go to Ohio State, because he likes them or cares about his legacy or whatever?  If a coach was trying to pull that bullshit when getting hired by OSU, I would be deeply unhappy.

He has an entire year to get Ewers in line.  he is a 22 kid, not 21.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

Certainly a possibility.

Ewers would be signing next year so NSD1 doesn't matter.

I am just going to say this.

I'm back in, I believe this is happening, and the fact that Urban and CDC have thrown Surly off the scent for almost an entire week is worthy of some serious respect. We have some pipe hitting crazy fuckers on this board with too many brains and too much time on their hands. But the jig is up, Urban to Texas. Let's do this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The idea that he'd let Ewers go to Ohio State when he has a decent shot of getting him on his team is just not at all consistent with who I think he is. 

What the fuck are you talking about?

I mean, how much do you really want a coach that has so little dedication to your program that he'll let one of the highest rated QBs in recruiting services history go to Ohio State, because he likes them or cares about his legacy or whatever?

How much of an idiot do you really need to be to think that Ewers is class of 2021?

• Haha 1

Certainly a possibility.

Ewers is only a junior, but I agree that he would want to start recruiting immediately.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

One thing to remember about the "He loves Ohio State" narrative - it's false. He still has close relationships with the coaches and support staff, and there are some players he likes, but the administration of the school made him the scapegoat to end the Zach Smith scandal, removed him from his role as HC, and did nothing ultimately to shield him from the embarrassment that transpired. I'm not apologizing for the guy, given that I think he was a piece of shit for lying about Smith in the first place, but anyone thinking he's got some sort of lasting affinity for the school, that's bullshit. That's why it's hilarious watching all of the OSU honks talk about how much he loves and respects the school.

Yes, how quickly we (I) forget.

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I'd be ok with this actually because this will be a "tell" it's either a current HC who has fish on his plater right now he needs to fry like a conference championship for either the national playoffs or New Years 6 bowls.  Or indeed it's Urban and he wants to get some of his band back together from OSU and he has to wait it out until next Saturdays game with NW to let that cat out of the bag..  But if it's somebody like Luke Fickell from Cincy, why wait?

I agree. If it’s not urban then get on with it. If it’s the scenario I described then CDC is doing EXACTLY what he should. This is what leads me to believe that this shit is happening. 

3 minutes ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

Certainly a possibility.

2021 is before 2022, dipshit. @BuckeyeInSeattle

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

Certainly a possibility.

Lol what the hell can Urban do about Ewers when Tom Herman’s the head coach at Texas?

8 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Ahaw haw haw haw ahaw

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Here you go

jaqi3jH.png

I'm guessing the person "he got advice from" was Mack Brown? 

I think the person who suggested that Urban be allowed to hire an assistant ad for football is on to something. If the issue is the stress, or it not being the perfect (X3) situation, having someone to take as much off his plate as possible that he doesn't want to deal with for his legitimate health concerns seems like a great way to ameliorate that problem.

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Barton is either a completely unprofessional joke ... Or he's lying 

Kirk always insinuates that he is very buddy-buddy with Urban but their interactions are always Kirk trying to be very casual with him/Urban being very formal. Urban doesn't really slip up or act differently so I could totally see a scenario where he is embellishing things. He definitely relishes the attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I think the real story is simple:  Notre Dame is his dream job, and he wants to see if Brian Kelly goes to the NFL this year.  So Texas will keep getting a soft, "No at this time, I'm just not sure about how it would affect my health" until a few days/weeks after ND's season ends.

Didn't he already have a chance to go to ND and opted for the Florida job?  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't think we have our guy in hand unless it's something with Urban and both sides are holding back so he can more seamlessly cherry-pick his guys off the OSU staff at the proper time. Otherwise, I feel pretty certain that they're running all traps looking for Herman's replacement and will likely make some kind of move between now and any bowl game that we might have. The least likely scenario sees us go into the spring with Herman as our head coach for 2021 season.

well "we're Texas" so I'm fully expecting this to happen

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Didn't he already have a chance to go to ND and opted for the Florida job?  

It's fuzzy in my mind. I was living in Utah at the time and I could have sworn nd was hitting him hard and thought they had him but then he went to Florida last second. If I feel like googling I'll check the archives of the salt lake tribune. It was obviously a big deal there at the time. 

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic