Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll repeat what I said: if that’s what CDC meant, then the ambiguity in his original statement is a fireable offense. I’m inclined to believe (as long as he does not reissue a statement and we are relying on second-hand confirmations) that’s not what he meant and he’s scrambling to calm the waters for the next few days. Either way, for now, it’s a messy situation that someone being paid as much as CDC should have handled better.

Yeah I think he overestimated his ambiguous press release and didn't see the immediate scrutiny coming.

I don't know what "moving into next season" means but the follow-ups from AAS and 247 are concerning.

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Regardless of what happens, what a stupid f'n press release. Either say he's coming back or don't say anything at all. Now you either sound like a liar or bring on more unnecessary rumors/speculation

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll repeat what I said: if that’s what CDC meant, then the ambiguity in his original statement is a fireable offense. I’m inclined to believe (as long as he does not reissue a statement and we are relying on second-hand confirmations) that’s not what he meant and he’s scrambling to calm the waters for the next few days. Either way, for now, it’s a messy situation that someone being paid as much as CDC should have handled better.

It's like nobody around here has ever seen the non-committal vote of confidence for a coach that happens a hundred times a year. 

Same here.  The Virginia Tech sugar bowl I decided not to less losses ruin my weekend. 4th and 5 took the edge off in a major way, wandering the desert again has left me realizing I have a choice and I’ll make it. My weekends are mine to enjoy. Watching shitpiss isn’t an option. 

Checked out of live football since tcu halftime. I just record now and rewatch victories. Still haven't gotten around to ksu. These games take 4.5 hours now. Not worth it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

He has confirmed CDC is coming back next yr. Read tweet above. 

He might be coming back, but that's not what the statement, or the classification says. Tom is our head coach, and we are moving into the 2021 season, right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It means Tom Herman will be coaching Texas next year.

More than likely this.  Most of you guys watch and buy into too much Hollywood movie bullshit.  Is 4D chess played at times?  Sure absolutely it is.  How often does 4D chess get played in an organization made up primarily of meatheads (athletics)....not too fucking often.  It does at times and MAYBE this is one of those times, but the odds would be heavily stacked against it.  

Tech hires Briles and another step down the ladder we fall.

35 seasons of seasons of optimism every fall and planning weekends around game times are pretty much over.  The reality is we are stuck in a crap conference with inept BMD’s who wouldn’t accept mediocrity in life but are ok with it on the field.

Thanks to everyone who has made the last 8 days interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Jan 1 is 2021

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Regardless of what happens, what a stupid f'n press release. Either say he's coming back or don't say anything at all. Now you either sound like a liar or bring on more unnecessary rumors/speculation

CDC had to say something based on all the reports that were out there. Today's statement does not contain anything he can't walk back later. CDC iced the puck this afternoon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

It's like nobody around here has ever seen the non-committal vote of confidence for a coach that happens a hundred times a year. 

No, that’s 100% what I recognize this to be. But I don’t think CDC anticipated the inaccurate headlines that spawned from it and that’s the mess we see right now. As I said, if he’s able to pull a good coach then this won’t be remembered at all. But if he actually intends to being Herman back, which I don’t believe he is or he would have explicitly said as much in the statement, then this whole ordeal was an unimaginable failure on his end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No, that’s 100% what I recognize this to be. But I don’t think CDC anticipated the inaccurate headlines that spawned from it and that’s the mess we see right now. As I said, if he’s able to pull a good coach then this won’t be remembered at all. And if he actually intends to being Herman back, which I don’t believe he is or he would have explicitly said as much in the statement, then this whole ordeal was an unimaginable failure on his end.

Exactly. And now he's supposedly giving AAS and 247 reporters more reason to think he means next season

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Jan 1 is 2021

CDC had to say something based on all the reports that were out there. Today's statement does not contain anything he can't walk back later. CDC iced the puck this afternoon.

C’mon Day crew.  This is more like it.

8 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Checked out of live football since tcu halftime. I just record now and rewatch victories. Still haven't gotten around to ksu. These games take 4.5 hours now. Not worth it.

Shit I’m watching reruns on the tennis channel right mow.  Federer vs Kyrgios in the laver cup a few years back was great tennis!

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

No, that’s 100% what I recognize this to be. But I don’t think CDC anticipated the inaccurate headlines that spawned from it and that’s the mess we see right now. As I said, if he’s able to pull a good coach then this won’t be remembered at all. And if he actually intends to being Herman back, which I don’t believe he is or he would have explicitly said as much in the statement, then this whole ordeal was an unimaginable failure on his end.

So you think this isn't a big deal unless the situation is different than you think it is but you're still preemptively complaining just in case. 

Solid. 

The fact that so many knuckleheads are this worked up about CDC's statement might be the dumbest thing in the history of dumb things on this board. If Tom Herman is the coach next year this statement will be so far down the list of problems that nobody will give a shit about it. If Tom Herman isn't our coach next year then nobody will give a shit about it. The statement basically doesn't matter at all. 

And yet people cry. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I just can't fathom that both CDC and Hartzell believe the best long-term business decision is Herman coaching Texas in the Fall of 2021.  Other options may not work either, but they can't both be dumb enough to think Herman is the guy after what he's shown.  Even if it's not Herman, do the work to find the right replacement, convince the necessary parties and give the fans some hope for the future.

4 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Some of you folks shouldn't go into politics.

"Tom Herman is our coach" = currently, right now, and subject to change.

"Bringing Herman back in 2021" = Tom Herman will remain our coach at least until January, so no changes until the season is fully completed.

"Herman is our coach moving forward into next season" = with each passing moment we are moving forward towards next season and Herman is currently our coach in that process.

It is not hard to say "Tom Herman will be our football coach for the 2021 season."

The fact that this statement has not been made is not accidental. Maybe Herman comes back and maybe he doesn't, but cdc has intentionally avoided saying anything definitive on the matter today. Pretending he has made a definitive statement is almost bending over backwards to read words into what he's said that he's gone to great lengths not to say.

Chill.

Dude's trying to cover his ass for completely fucking up this coaching search.

He'll be gone in a few years when the stadium's gonna be half empty outside of marquee out of conference opponents. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Let’s not complicate this. Herman is back next year and CDC royally fucked us. The recruiting class is fucked now and he’s gonna have the exact same shit list of coaches to replace Herman as he does right now. He’s criteria is a coach that’s won at two different programs so there’s not up and comer happening. This time next year after we wasted a year he will hire one of the same guys we could have right now. CDC fucking sucks. Great at women’s softball and basketball. Has zero balls or

vision for the men’s programs obviously.

Way to stay silent for fucking weeks as our recruiting class falls apart and now you say he’s our coach. If this stays this way like I think then my mind is so blown. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

For those thinking he still might be fired please tell me why the statement was released at all. The speculation has been going on for weeks, we’ve lost some of our best recruits and he never said peep. Why this afternoon?

Best recruits? Are you referring to the 3 star offensive lineman who was never going to play a down at Texas? 

Guys.
Tom Herman is coming back because we couldn't land Urban Meyer.
It's really that simple.
Why not just say "Tom Herman will be our coach for the 2021 season"?

You think 5 people didn't have to read that statement before it went out?

You think no one noticed it was vague?

Honestly considering the scrutiny that statement was probably under, the more likely interpretation is that the statement is intentionally vague. To think that this went through the approval process to go out without anyone saying "uh, this isn't super clear" is just unbelievable.
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Maybe CDC doesn’t know shit and Hartzell is going behind CDC’s back to negotiate and give Urban’s people full control. CDC showing up in Manhattan was a desperate move to show he’s still relevant. 

Lol wut? Or maybe ya know he went cause he's the AD. Crazy I know. 

8 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So if urban turned us down and cdc knows everyone is talking and recruits are bailing why the fuck have there been crickets for days? Kansas is cancelled so come out and say ducking something about the situation. It makes me believe urban is hired. If not then I’m kinda blown away at how bad cdc has managed the situation and having no damage control preparation ready. Just not talking for two weeks has been a not so great strategy.

Just 8 hours ago. Following my own post my mind is blown. Fuck you cdc and I hope you read this I will not go to anymore Texas games and I hope more follow. Fuck this clown.

• Hook 'Em 1

If Tom Herman is the coach next year this statement will be so far down the list of problems that nobody will give a shit about it. If Tom Herman isn't our coach next year then nobody will give a shit about it.

I actually do agree with this.
My apologies, however, for posting my thoughts on the rollout of a statement about Longhorn coaching from the Longhorn AD in a Longhorn coaching thread on a Longhorn message board.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

“Moving forward” into next season is also fucking vague. Water is wet. Sky is blue. Won’t say the actual words “Tom Herman will be our coach in 2021.” 

Yep. "Next season" starts as soon as the last seconds tick away in the bowl game.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic