Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, RGBIII said:
This is why Herman hasn’t been canned till we are ready to name his successor 

This is so stupid. When has a coaching search ever worked like that in the history of football? Maybe three or four times? There is always a coaching search and some coaches always say no. 

Can we even offer a job to somebody when the job is not even open? We cannot even interview the person.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

LOL. Auburn is either so inept that they're going to full circle back into the best hire they could have started with OR my tinfoil hat tells me this was the plan all along and they just wanted to make it seem like they cared about his background by initially "not considering" him

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

This is so stupid. When has a coaching search ever worked like that in the history of football? Maybe three or four times? There is always a coaching search and some coaches always say no. 

Can we even offer a job to somebody when the job is not even open? We cannot even interview the person.

In other words, when you hear Herm is gone, we've found our guy.  Auburn looks like shit right now.

5 hours ago, TexasEx said:

Hate to break it to you, but Urban won’t bring Texas “back.” Back to one championship, a second appearance in the title game and 10+ win seasons? Get the fuck out of my face. 

Urban will bring Texas into a different fucking galaxy. We’ll be 100,000 light years beyond “back.“ We’ll go on a run of wrecking shit in college football the likes of which have never been seen. It will make Alabama’s “dynasty” look like pee wee. We will win every game by more than 50 for the next 10 years. 10 consecutive conference championships. 8 national championships. #1 recruiting class every year. Hundreds of players in the NFL. $500mm+ per year in football revenue. We will buy ESPN just to burn it to the fucking ground. Urban will retire as AD in 2031, after recruiting VY’s son to quarterback and hiring young genius offensive mind Lincoln Riley’s son as his coaching successor, who will proceed to push Oklahoma’s shit in every year for the next half century. 

Urban thinks college fans have unrealistic expectations? Fuck that. We have the most resources in the most football talent rich state in the goddamn United States of America. This shit is happening. #BDE 

I think you're onto something.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Overshown is back for next season.  Thats big for this defense.  Lets hope that Urban keeps Hutzler as LB coach.

That’s great news. At this point, I think Hutzler is far and away the assistant coach I’d want to keep. He’s killed it in recruiting and coaching and he seemed really well-regarded among the coaching community when we hired him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Unlike many here, I'm not a huge Muschamp fan. However, as a Tshit Michigan fan, I actually think he'd be a great fit at Michigan and with Harbaugh.

He had DJ Durkin as his DC at Florida, and Harbaugh had Durkin as his first DC at Michigan. I think philosophically it would work, but I'd be happy bringing back Durkin too.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

and agents running their mouths. people talking. because there is a search going on. if there is no search, there is no noise. 

Herman is gone, there is no search for his replacement. which means we already got our guy!. CUM on , baby!!

USC may can Helton after all. Doubt it, but there's starting to be some noise. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2020-12-22/usc-football-clay-helton-mike-bohn-struggles

With every frustrating finish came the same flimsy assurance.

USC was close, Clay Helton would say. Better days were always just one season away.

When the Trojans fell to 5-7 in 2018, their first finish below-.500 in nearly two decades, Helton explained in a statement that “the best is yet to be.” When USC was humiliated at the Holiday Bowl a year later, the coach promised it was “on the cusp of being great.” And by last Friday, when a crushing defeat to an inferior Oregon team cost the Trojans a Pac-12 title, Helton assured again in that familiar, rosy tone that USC was just “on the edge of winning championships.”

But after five full seasons under his care, it’s clear the Trojans are no closer to realizing that potential under Helton, who, at 18-13 in his last three seasons, could soon find himself on the precipice of unemployment.

“He’s well aware of the expectations and the commitments we’ve made,” Bohn told The Los Angeles Times in February.

The pandemic upended that evaluation process, seemingly guaranteeing Helton a pardon for whatever unfolded in 2020. But in the wake of last Friday’s defeat, that no longer seems so assured.

On paper, it’s hard to argue with a 5-1 finish to a season packed with unprecedented challenges. The Trojans didn’t start their campaign until November and still won their first five games for the first time since 2006. They won the South division for the first time since 2017 by mounting three comebacks in the final minute. They fell short of a fourth in the Pac-12 title game by just a single possession.

But that’s a particularly rosy perspective, one that ignores some important context. While the Trojans might indeed have been a score away from a Pac-12 title, they also spent most of the season on the brink of unraveling.

They dug early holes in nearly every game, only to claw their way back just in time. It took an onside kick, a tipped touchdown catch, a long kick return, and three amazing final drives from quarterback Kedon Slovis just to keep USC afloat. Those three hard-fought victories came against teams with a 5-13 overall record.

With the most talent in the conference and the easiest schedule, USC should’ve coasted through its shortened season, on its way to a Pac-12 title. Instead, it repeatedly shot itself in the foot.

Helton has vowed more than once to address that pervasive lack of discipline, but over the last two seasons especially, there’s been little sign of progress in that regard. USC went from giving away 67.5 penalty yards per game in 2019, worst in the Pac-12, to giving away 71 per game in 2020, also worst in the Pac-12. Against Oregon, nine penalties played a large part in USC’s undoing.

A consistently ineffective run game was another constant issue. In each of Helton’s five seasons, USC’s rushing yards per game has declined precipitously, culminating this season in the Pac-12’s worst ground game at 97 yards per game.

That’s not to say there weren’t some signs of progress this season. The defense took a major step forward under new coordinator Todd Orlando, while the rest of USC’s defensive assistants have had the intended effect, bringing a more physical, imposing attitude to the entire unit. Special teams, under new coordinator Sean Snyder, are no longer a disaster. And recruiting bounced back from the 64th-ranked class last year to the 11th-ranked one this year, with room to climb even higher if No. 1 overall recruit Korey Foreman pledges to USC early next month.

“You want to see movement forward, you want to see progression, and that’s where we’re at,” Helton said on the “Trojans Live” radio show Monday night. “We’re on an upward trend right now.”

But for all his promises of progress, the Trojans are still just on the cusp ... on the brink ... on the edge of being the program Helton vowed it would be.

Close, yet still so far away.

2 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

USC may can Helton after all. Doubt it, but there's starting to be some noise. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2020-12-22/usc-football-clay-helton-mike-bohn-struggles

With every frustrating finish came the same flimsy assurance.

USC was close, Clay Helton would say. Better days were always just one season away.

When the Trojans fell to 5-7 in 2018, their first finish below-.500 in nearly two decades, Helton explained in a statement that “the best is yet to be.” When USC was humiliated at the Holiday Bowl a year later, the coach promised it was “on the cusp of being great.” And by last Friday, when a crushing defeat to an inferior Oregon team cost the Trojans a Pac-12 title, Helton assured again in that familiar, rosy tone that USC was just “on the edge of winning championships.”

But after five full seasons under his care, it’s clear the Trojans are no closer to realizing that potential under Helton, who, at 18-13 in his last three seasons, could soon find himself on the precipice of unemployment.

“He’s well aware of the expectations and the commitments we’ve made,” Bohn told The Los Angeles Times in February.

The pandemic upended that evaluation process, seemingly guaranteeing Helton a pardon for whatever unfolded in 2020. But in the wake of last Friday’s defeat, that no longer seems so assured.

On paper, it’s hard to argue with a 5-1 finish to a season packed with unprecedented challenges. The Trojans didn’t start their campaign until November and still won their first five games for the first time since 2006. They won the South division for the first time since 2017 by mounting three comebacks in the final minute. They fell short of a fourth in the Pac-12 title game by just a single possession.

But that’s a particularly rosy perspective, one that ignores some important context. While the Trojans might indeed have been a score away from a Pac-12 title, they also spent most of the season on the brink of unraveling.

They dug early holes in nearly every game, only to claw their way back just in time. It took an onside kick, a tipped touchdown catch, a long kick return, and three amazing final drives from quarterback Kedon Slovis just to keep USC afloat. Those three hard-fought victories came against teams with a 5-13 overall record.

With the most talent in the conference and the easiest schedule, USC should’ve coasted through its shortened season, on its way to a Pac-12 title. Instead, it repeatedly shot itself in the foot.

Helton has vowed more than once to address that pervasive lack of discipline, but over the last two seasons especially, there’s been little sign of progress in that regard. USC went from giving away 67.5 penalty yards per game in 2019, worst in the Pac-12, to giving away 71 per game in 2020, also worst in the Pac-12. Against Oregon, nine penalties played a large part in USC’s undoing.

A consistently ineffective run game was another constant issue. In each of Helton’s five seasons, USC’s rushing yards per game has declined precipitously, culminating this season in the Pac-12’s worst ground game at 97 yards per game.

That’s not to say there weren’t some signs of progress this season. The defense took a major step forward under new coordinator Todd Orlando, while the rest of USC’s defensive assistants have had the intended effect, bringing a more physical, imposing attitude to the entire unit. Special teams, under new coordinator Sean Snyder, are no longer a disaster. And recruiting bounced back from the 64th-ranked class last year to the 11th-ranked one this year, with room to climb even higher if No. 1 overall recruit Korey Foreman pledges to USC early next month.

“You want to see movement forward, you want to see progression, and that’s where we’re at,” Helton said on the “Trojans Live” radio show Monday night. “We’re on an upward trend right now.”

But for all his promises of progress, the Trojans are still just on the cusp ... on the brink ... on the edge of being the program Helton vowed it would be.

Close, yet still so far away.

Fuck that private school!

Texas BDE got to CUM first!  Meyer to Texas or bust!

• Hook 'Em 1

If USC cans their coach, be prepared for the possibility that Meyer left Texas at the alter for the USC job. Aside from a true reversal on deciding to coach again, the USC job is likely what could have re-directed his interest, for whatever reason.

• Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If USC cans their coach, be prepared for the possibility that Meyer left Texas at the alter for the USC job. Aside from a true reversal on deciding to coach again, the USC job is likely what could have re-directed his interest, for whatever reason.

Dude, come on.  This isn't even limp-dick energy, this is no-dick energy.  That has no place here.

• Like 1

Just now, 6th Street said:

Wonder if he knows something or is just talking off the cuff

Sounded like he let it slip. Just a bit later he tried to cover by throwing in a "Herman could still be here", but his first comment had BDE all over it. 

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I posted a quote from the 247 SC board a while back of some dude claiming he chatted up Urban at a party last year. Said the president refused to meet with him to discuss the job or his past. Sounds like their current administration is pretty risk-averse when it comes to off-the-field issues in athletics right now. Maybe bullshit. Maybe not. Maybe go fuck myself.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just now, Bevo14 said:

I posted a quote from the 247 SC board a while back of some dude claiming he chatted up Urban at a party last year. Said the president refused to meet with him to discuss the job or his past. Sounds like the new administration is pretty risk-adverse when it comes to off-the-field issues right now. Maybe bullshit. Maybe not. Maybe go fuck myself.

Yeah, the USC fans I know don’t think there’s any chance the BOT or AD will fire Helton or are even really considering it. If this were the case, USC would be doing the best covert move ever, because there’s nothing even close to hinting this possibility right now. 

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sounded like he let it slip. Just a bit later he tried to cover by throwing in a "Herman could still be here", but his first comment had BDE all over it. 

I'll allow it - Quan has earned BDE status from his on field play. Key first down catches in the NC game, epic block against OU in 2008, and Fiesta Bowl game winning TD.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So if Urban Meyer takes the USC job, you think it means he was interested in the USC job? 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

LOL. Auburn is either so inept that they're going to full circle back into the best hire they could have started with OR my tinfoil hat tells me this was the plan all along and they just wanted to make it seem like they cared about his background by initially "not considering" him

100% this.  I have been saying I think it's a big smokescreen to go Freeze.  

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Dude, come on.  This isn't even limp-dick energy, this is no-dick energy.  That has no place here.

I don't know about limp-dick so much as that shamefully propped up on a papasan in a dark corner watching your wife go at it with the pool boy, kind of dick energy.

• Haha 1

TFB...FWIW (not a lot)

***Still chasing some additional confirmation on this one but received a call earlier today and based on what I’m initially hearing, Steve Sarkisian is going to be a name to watch. Truth be told, he may be the name to watch.

***Oh and btw, if Sark were to be the guy, very good chance you’d see Bryce Young in a Texas uniform next year.

***Also, from Bama source – “Sark is the best OC we’ve had here under Saban”.

***Also, on the general question of a coaching change, I am getting a stronger and stronger sense that a change is in the works. Don’t know what percentage I’d put it at but I’d say over 50%.

***I’m told nothing would happen till after the bowl game and I don’t know what impact a big win would have on the question of a change.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

TFB...FWIW (not a lot)

***Still chasing some additional confirmation on this one but received a call earlier today and based on what I’m initially hearing, Steve Sarkisian is going to be a name to watch. Truth be told, he may be the name to watch.

***Oh and btw, if Sark were to be the guy, very good chance you’d see Bryce Young in a Texas uniform next year.

***Also, from Bama source – “Sark is the best OC we’ve had here under Saban”.

***Also, on the general question of a coaching change, I am getting a stronger and stronger sense that a change is in the works. Don’t know what percentage I’d put it at but I’d say over 50%.

***I’m told nothing would happen till after the bowl game and I don’t know what impact a big win would have on the question of a change.

These dudes are absolutely regarded. "Wooooo we beat CU by 30 give Herman another year." Brain dead. Every single one of them 

• Hook 'Em 1