Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Checking in on this thread for the first time in a couple hundred pages... Is there any LEGITIMATE reason to believe Urban still might happen?  Or is this talk about as relevant to reality as the Realignment thread?

Because there’s still no legitimate “no” being reported. It does not exist.

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

IT Humidor

What we know

- There is palpable excitement coming from the trilateral commission.

- The searchers have run an organized and discreet effort to improve the head coaching position. It was never an either/or between Urban Meyer and Tom Herman. Other than perhaps a little wiggle room in the event of a close Big 12 Championship loss, Herman was only going to keep his job by winning the conference after losing the RRS. The die was cast relatively early in the season. Blowout wins versus inferior opponents were never going to move the needle.

- Urban Meyer’s name is still floating around out there, but we’re not hearing anything that leads us to believe he’ll be the next coach. It is curious, however, that his stated reason for not taking the Texas job — his health — hasn’t dissuaded NFL coaching rumors.

- We know Dan Mullen is unhappy in Gainesville and is looking at NFL head coaching jobs. While he’s a great offensive mind for the NFL, he’s a terrible personality fit. The knowledge he’s unhappy coupled with the timing of him recently playing in Dallas has caught our attention. Could he have met with an UT emissary while in Dallas? Probably not, but the timing of his final game and the velocity of the search picking up has us curious. He also didn’t fire Todd Grantham. Maybe he’s letting the next UF coach do that. We just don’t know.

- Things are really, really quiet when it comes to candidates we’d consider to be out of left field. Things are so quiet with Matt Campbell right now, we’d consider that out of left field. We think it’s too early for an out of left field candidate and we’re not sure it would lead to the sorts of internal excitement we’re picking up on.

What we think we know

- We think the searchers have zeroed in on one or perhaps more targets. It is possible they have their man.

- We say “or perhaps more targets” because one name we’re beginning to hear may only be a backup plan. More on Steve Sarkisian in a minute.

- Thursday seems to have been a significant day in this ordeal. We received cryptic messaging that let us know movement was afoot but we weren’t given much beyond that. Since then, more and more people further from the key figures are coming to us with similarly cryptic info.

- We believe the timeline for a replacement is after bowl season (January 11th) but that could potentially turn on a dime. We’re preparing in case it does.

- There are a handful of members on the current staff who have a good chance of being retained by a new coach. We’ve heard the decision makers have appreciated the work put in by a couple and are advocating on those coaches' behalf.

- We have downplayed the possibility of Alabama OC Steve Sarkisian. We simply weren’t trusting anything coming from the CDC communication lines, plus it didn’t, and still doesn’t in many ways, logically follow. But now we’re starting to hear his name from SEC country. We do believe he’s a viable option, but that isn’t to say he is the option, at least not yet. For those wondering, we do not consider Sarkisian a whale, but I think given his positives a case can be made for him as a 3.5 (in between a solid coach on the rise and a unicorn).

[We have the whales as: Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, Kyle Shanahan, and Brian Kelly. We concede that Kelly is debatable, but we have no interest in debating it]

What we’re uncertain about

- This is a key point to put it mildly: we’re uncertain who the replacement is. That could be changed with one phone call. Hell, we may already know and not believe it.

- The timeline is sketchy and likely dependent on the candidate. There are certain ways to handle this that benefit the program as a whole, including recruiting.

Team Beat

1. Anything on injuries?

QB Sam Ehlinger - Grade 2 shoulder strain. He’ll be fine. We’re not expecting him to return.

DL T’Vondre Sweat - His shoulder issue could have him missing the spring. We’re hearing differing things but neither are great. There’s nothing wrong with his legs, they’ll need to keep his weight down.

DL Alfred Collins - Shoulder strain and re-aggravated a wrist injury. Not severe, he’ll be fine.

WR Brenden Schooler - Mild sprained ankle, he’s fine.

2. Anything on guys potentially leaving?

WR Jake Smith and WR Marcus Washington tend to go back and forth on whether or not they want to leave. We’re more concerned about Smith than Washington at this time. As a group, the wide receivers were thrilled with the passing game demonstrated by Casey Thompson, but they are also aware of what Hudson Card brings to the table. In short, they expect to get more downfield opportunities next year. We’ll see if this has an effect on Smith.

DB Tyler Owens is one we wouldn’t be surprised by entering the portal.

WR Dajon Harrison is very distant from this team. That’s to be expected after he surprisingly opted out. We’re unsure on his future at UT.

OL Willie Tyler is still an unknown.

WR Kennedy Lewis, who returned briefly in the summer, is set to return to the team at the start of the new semester. He’s enrolling and hopes to compete in the spring.

3. Team thoughts on Casey Thompson.

The team was collectively excited for Thompson. Entering into a pressure-free bowl and winning big is an excellent way to jumpstart an offseason. It was a confidence boost.

He’s made some of those throws in practice this year while also displaying the ability to tuck it and run. He’s just been inconsistent at times.

It was a perfect storm of Bijan Robinson, good OL play, bad opponent, and no pressure. That’s not a knock on Thompson, Ehlinger was benefitting from it too.

4. There has to be some excitement around the OL especially with the running backs.

There is no meritocracy with Tom Herman. The young OL >>> older OL, at least when it comes to potential. The entire starting five returns next fall. Most of the backups too. It was a crudely mishandled position.

“Bijan has been doing that since fall ball.” Nobody we spoke with was surprised about Bijan’s play later in the season. Bijan and Roschon are highly respected in the locker room.

5. What was the message post-Alamo Bowl from Herman, position coaches?

When you work hard, and play for each other, this is the result — a 55-23 thrashing of a “good” team. Herman thanked the players and coaches for the enduring the difficulties of 2020. Opined on the best senior class winning percentage since Colt McCoy. Be ready to use this momentum in the spring.

6. When do the players return to campus?

About 10-12 days.

7. Give us a player to watch this spring on each side of the ball.

Troy Omeire. Guys really want to watch him play again.

Vernon Broughton and David Gbenda were both mentioned.

8. Speaking of Broughton, did he spend ANY time on scout team OL?

“Haha. What?”

This is one steaming pile of shit of an update. The only thing they sort of made a view on is they don’t think it’s Urban. 

• Like 1

so coaches keep taking themselves out.  Mullen - excuse making machine, Fickell- no clock management skills. 

Next to go down is Kelly.  After Kelly goes down, it will literally be Herm or Urban.  How depressing/easy will that be?  

This will become the biggest layup in sports decision-making history.   If I'm CDC and Urbs says no a third time, to a crazy amount of money, I think I fire Herm and appoint an interim coach.  Someone will have to emerge.  

I still think Urbs says yes.  He still has ties to OhioSt. and simply doesn't want to rock their boat while they are still in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

I’ll take Herman over Fickell...that Georgia ending was a colossal fuck up by Fickell. 

I’m Urban or Bust! But the last time some dumbfucks decided to base a huge coaching decision on the outcome of  beating Georgia, well then...

spacer.png

image.gif

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

You apparently didn’t watch the end of the Cinnci game. Either Fickell had $$ on Georgia, or he is a fucking regard. 

If you think this comment means I’m on the Luke train, then clearly you don’t know what the fuck we do here 

28 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Luke’s out

Luke was never in. Luke was always out.

Season     tOsu HC     Record

2011          Fickell        6-6

2012          Meyer        12-0

Luke had Cincy playing over their heads against UGa, should've won, but fell victim to exactly what Urban said about the G5 teams... they can start 1's equal to P5 1's ... but will lose because they can't match the depth and so just run out of gas. Maybe he's learned since 2011, but still, well let him 

Just now, Tex Long said:

Luke had Cincy playing over their heads against UGa, should've won, but fell victim to exactly what Urban said about the G5 teams... they can start 1's equal to P5 1's ... but will lose because they can't match the depth and so just run out of gas. Maybe he's learned since 2011, but still, well let him learn some more at some other P5.

damned cat jumped on keyboard, submit key targeted, no edit showed up for the post...

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

We normally ski this week but you had to schedule lift reservations weeks out and I’m terrible about that kind of stuff. It’s probably pretty awesome though being on the mountain when it’s only 50% capacity? 

It is pretty nice.  We had to schedule everything we wanted to do.  Eating out can be a pain.  

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I would think this is the opposite.  Sam is Herman’s boy. I see this as him leaving after Casey went nuts and a new coach is going to come in with a new OC, system and open comps everywhere.  

Sam fucking despises Herman

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Luke had Cincy playing over their heads against UGa, should've won, but fell victim to exactly what Urban said about the G5 teams... they can start 1's equal to P5 1's ... but will lose because they can't match the depth and so just run out of gas. Maybe he's learned since 2011, but still, well let him 

Normally that would be the case. But Cincy got out coached by Kirby Smart. It had nothing to do with depth or players. Better coaching decisions win that game for Cincy.

11 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

It is pretty nice.  We had to schedule everything we wanted to do.  Eating out can be a pain.  

I wondered what it was like with the bars closed on the mountain. If I was not getting double Bloody Mary’s at the Sun Spot in Winter Park I don’t know if I would enjoy the skiing as much. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I would think this is the opposite.  Sam is Herman’s boy. I see this as him leaving after Casey went nuts and a new coach is going to come in with a new OC, system and open comps everywhere.  

I see it as Sam already played 4 years of CFB, has his degree or is getting close, and wants to test himself at the next level. Been there, done that, so to speak. I don't believe Sam "hates" fuckface.