Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

22 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

You must've played in the 80's, too, bc that's what I was taught.

Nowadays, the safest tackling is more rugby-style. The Seahawks, among others, have been teaching it for years.

Hell, ten years ago I was still coaching Texas HS kids to “plant your screws” on an app owners chest, meaning put the two crews at the top of the face mask into the other guys chest for face to face tackling. We also drilled getting your “head across the bow” over and over for angle tackling.  The don’t get their head in front of the runner anymore on angled tackles and you see far more arm tackles being run through now. 

39 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah there's just no reason for him to be employed at this point. Particularly if he makes it past Monday morning. Unless, well, yeah.

It’s possible he’s still employed for another week. We just need to be a little more patient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Looks like she’s in NOLA for the game. Not sure when she got there but she was in Siesta Keys on 12/27. 

This could be the plane that took Shelley from Siesta Key/Sarasota to NOLA. On Thursday, it went from Sarasota to Pittsburgh (one of the curious stops the Kendra Scott plane made what seems like forever ago - I believe someone hundreds of pages back eventually made some connection to family there?). Early Friday afternoon it went Pittsburgh to NOLA, and it's currently on its way to Van Nuys/LA.

The plane is Wheels-Up operated and I was able to track down it's tail number (N920UP) despite FlightAware not providing it: it's owned by Textron Financial Corporation, a publicly traded commercial financial company, so nothing juicy there. But that's a curious string of flights (and the only plane identified in much digging as having gone from Sarasota to NOLA in short order) and suggests Urban maybe on his way to LA. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

This could be the plane that took Shelley from Siesta Key/Sarasota to NOLA. On Thursday, it went from Sarasota to Pittsburgh (one of the curious stops the Kendra Scott plane made what seems like forever ago - I believe someone hundreds of pages back eventually made some connection to family there?). Early Friday afternoon it went Pittsburgh to NOLA, and it's currently on its way to Van Nuys/LA.

The plane is Wheels-Up operated and I was able to track down it's tail number (N920UP) despite FlightAware not providing it: it's owned by Textron Financial Corporation, a publicly traded commercial financial company, so nothing juicy there. But that's a curious string of flights (and the only plane identified in much digging as having gone from Sarasota to NOLA in short order) and suggests Urban maybe on his way to LA. 

Is it curious for him to be going to LA given the status of his contract?

21 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Hell, ten years ago I was still coaching Texas HS kids to “plant your screws” on an app owners chest, meaning put the two crews at the top of the face mask into the other guys chest for face to face tackling. We also drilled getting your “head across the bow” over and over for angle tackling.  The don’t get their head in front of the runner anymore on angled tackles and you see far more arm tackles being run through now. 

Yep, we were taught that in the 80's too. "See what you hit".

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The Kelly press conference sure didn’t sound like a guy leaving. This whole situation is getting weirder by the day. 

If Kelly is out, I don’t see any coach as a clear take at this point over Herman except for Meyer. And frankly, with a ton of bowl losses, rumors of being an ass, boring offenses, and little experience defending against the OU type offense, I’m not that fired up about Kelly anyway. 

And having heard Herman is out, as unbelievable as it sounds, Meyer is still the only logical conclusion, even though he “declined”. Choo Choo on the Urban Express.

This is what I’m saying too. A super bizarre situation and nothing fits well except urban - unless Herman stays but everyone says he’s out like the worst kept secret. So back to urban making the most sense. The lack of any noise is the most bizarre. If an active search was happening someone would know it. 

a true and complete pause to interviews nfl folks later is another plausible theory but I just don’t see that happening.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Nowadays, the safest tackling is more rugby-style. The Seahawks, among others, have been teaching it for years.

yeah. and if target with the shoulder and the defender spins back into your helmet and you hit the guy in the spleen and he goes down in pain you are going to get called for targeting. the coach in one of the drills couldn't even keep his head up in slow motion knowing where the other coach was running.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah. and if target with the shoulder and the defender spins back into your helmet and you hit the guy in the spleen and he goes down in pain you are going to get called for targeting. the coach in one of the drills couldn't even keep his head up in slow motion knowing where the other coach was running.

Yep, the biggest takeaway is "see what you hit". It's spearing with the top of your head that's dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

This is what I’m saying too. A super bizarre situation and nothing fits well except urban. The lack of any noise is the most bizarre. If an active search was happening someone would know it. 

Yeah. That’s me as well when I say I don’t really believe urban but it’s logical on all sides and I feel like logic generally wins out.  It feels more like there is no coaching search going on and we really are bringing back Herman, but there are so many good posters on here (and IT- who is the best of the 9.95’ers) who swear he’s gone that I believe. Sort of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Isn't there some deal where all jobs have to be posted X number of days for State of Texas positions?

Fire Herman's ass and get this clock ticking. It will be less churn noise as the media will be focused on OSU vs Bama. It is the equivalent of putting out the PR Friday evening on a holiday weekend.

Let's get it going. Get Herman the Fuck Out!!!!

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Isn't there some deal where all jobs have to be posted X number of days for State of Texas positions?

Fire Herman's ass and get this clock ticking. It will be less churn noise as the media will be focused on OSU vs Bama. It is the equivalent of putting out the PR Friday evening on a holiday weekend.

Not sure why but doesn’t apply here. 

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

This is a great video.

10 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That’s the fire this week start a non-search search with a public announcement of a search intended and hire meyer after Jan 11. No smoke to see this week because no real conversation happens. Deal was done weeks before. 

Edited by troph

Wheels up does a lot of stuff for espn (guest pickers) so they may have negotiated services with fox sports too. Nice find. Probably spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BB65 said:

How about this timeline:

1/2/21 Fire Herman

1/3/22 Announce UM as new HC

1/4/21 press Conference to introduce UM

1/5/21-1/11/21 UM interviews and evaluates existing coaches and staff. 

finalize coaching staff after CFP Final

Once Herman is fired, it'll be a week minimum before press conference announcing new the coach.  Public state job has to be posed for a minimum amount of time before being officially filled.  Not sure exactly how long, but there will be no press conference anytime soon announcing Meyer or anyone else on 1/4.  You could very well start to hear rumblings and be pretty confident it is happening fairly soon after termination, but nothing official this quickly. 

But firing Herman and having all the media speculation and talking about Meyer in particular if indeed he is on board leading up to the title game would still be beneficial publicity.   On the flip side, you don't want stories about how Meyer turned us down again, and then Campbell did too because he loves the midwest, and UT had to settle for it's 3rd or 4th choice.    So if Herman is fired today, we have a firm yes from someone already in my opinion.   Now it might in actuality be our 3rd choice, and we might give Meyer one last chance quietly circling back before finalizing a deal with someone else.  But having waited this long before firing him has to mean that they will have some new coach everyone is comfortable hiring  that has agreed to come.   And that fits the narrative that came out from the 9.95ers the other day as well.  We'll see.  Hope the axe falls today, but not holding my breath.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. That’s me as well when I say I don’t really believe urban but it’s logical on all sides and I feel like logic generally wins out.  It feels more like there is no coaching search going on and we really are bringing back Herman, but there are so many good posters on here (and IT- who is the best of the 9.95’ers) who swear he’s gone that I believe. Sort of. 

IT posters suck.   Basically they’re surly posters without the charm and cheekiness.   Rude 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tom Herman’s introductory press conference was the day after they announced Strong was fired. 

Yep. People Fucking talk about that 10 day posting incessantly (almost as often as “buyout drops after x date by $5 million”) but it’s not right. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, BB65 said:

How about this timeline:

1/2/21 Fire Herman

1/3/22 Announce UM as new HC

1/4/21 press Conference to introduce UM

1/5/21-1/11/21 UM interviews and evaluates existing coaches and staff. 

finalize coaching staff after CFP Final

I like it.  have UM actually coaching and have a press conference where he introdces himself as Urban Meyer (but not the coach), then have the university deny it until next January!  That way we don't have to pay him for a whole season.  Ingenious!

7 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Once Herman is fired, it'll be a week minimum before press conference announcing new the coach.  Public state job has to be posed for a minimum amount of time before being officially filled.  Not sure exactly how long, but there will be no press conference anytime soon announcing Meyer or anyone else on 1/4.  You could very well start to hear rumblings and be pretty confident it is happening fairly soon after termination, but nothing official this quickly. 

But firing Herman and having all the media speculation and talking about Meyer in particular if indeed he is on board leading up to the title game would still be beneficial publicity.   On the flip side, you don't want stories about how Meyer turned us down again, and then Campbell did too because he loves the midwest, and UT had to settle for it's 3rd or 4th choice.    So if Herman is fired today, we have a firm yes from someone already in my opinion.   Now it might in actuality be our 3rd choice, and we might give Meyer one last chance quietly circling back before finalizing a deal with someone else.  But having waited this long before firing him has to mean that they will have some new coach everyone is comfortable hiring  that has agreed to come.   And that fits the narrative that came out from the 9.95ers the other day as well.  We'll see.  Hope the axe falls today, but not holding my breath.

There are special exemptions for that and a head football coach is one of those. 

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Take a breath, it's done. Let me be clear, few have been on the fire Tom bandwagon longer than me, which I got on the day he was hired. However, we got this, and it's all good. Letting Tommy Turtle twist in the wind a bit is our pay back for four years Maryland losses, last minute KU wins and never, ever putting games away early. It's our time to enjoy the very pain he inflicted upon us, on his own mind.

Was it something Turtle did or said that had you against him Day 1?

UH's Tom Herman eyes Galveston County as part of "H-Town Takeover" | Local  Sports | The Daily News

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Take a breath, it's done. Let me be clear, few have been on the fire Tom bandwagon longer than me, which I got on the day he was hired. However, we got this, and it's all good. Letting Tommy Turtle twist in the wind a bit is our pay back for four years Maryland losses, last minute KU wins and never, ever putting games away early. It's our time to enjoy the very pain he inflicted upon us, on his own mind.

So we are using the Tom Herman School of playcalling tactics to fire his ass

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tom Herman’s introductory press conference was the day after they announced Strong was fired. 

Window of 3-14 days. Depending on who the hire is.  At day 15 from today, I’m done. Officially bust.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Main reason that makes me think Herman is gone is the story about how SC was contacted about their vacancy.

Yeah, Finebaum is a dick-with-ears but there's gotta be some smoke there.

A gig like USCe is a better fit for Turtle. He can be a fucking hero at 9-4 there every year.