Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, pops said:

It's fuzzy in my mind. I was living in Utah at the time and I could have sworn nd was hitting him hard and thought they had him but then he went to Florida last second. If I feel like googling I'll check the archives of the salt lake tribune. It was obviously a big deal there at the time. 

Yes, I believe that is the case. Everybody expected him to go to ND and he chose Florida ultimately because he felt that gave him a better chance to win national titles. Now that he's won there and Ohio State, and Kelly has ND back in elite status, maybe he feels it's pretty turn-key right now if Kelly does bolt for the NFL after this season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pops said:

It's fuzzy in my mind. I was living in Utah at the time and I could have sworn nd was hitting him hard and thought they had him but then he went to Florida last second. If I feel like googling I'll check the archives of the salt lake tribune. It was obviously a big deal there at the time. 

He definitely turned down ND for UF.  Said he looked at the difference in talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Now that he's won there and Ohio State, and Kelly has ND back in elite status, maybe he feels it's pretty turn-key right now if Kelly does bolt for the NFL after this season.

I didn’t think of this before but makes a lot of sense.

15 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

The Kelly to the NFL gives me some pause.

But!  I'm night crew, so.....

ITA. But...UT can be a dream job also. I understand why he thinks of ND in this way. We have to pitch our history. The DKR stuff. We have a lot to offer but ya ND with a  job opening makes me nervous. Hopefully Kelly stays. He is beloved there. Who knows? I wanted to be a princess, then work at SeaWorld with the killer whales (my dream job a long time ago) and that all changed. Lol. 

4 minutes ago, pops said:

This article is interesting because it definitely implies this is not about the money for him. I might actually go through both the ND and UT rosters here to gauge the talent because that seems like the key factor. I don't know if recruiting proximity would quite matter given he's Urban Meyer but perhaps a slight to moderate advantage for UT there. Not sure what the AD/administrative differences are.

Given that the thread has spun itself back into a frenzy, I might as well add to it.

One of the strangest things about his dance with Texas was the strong interest by both sides. Then all of a sudden he cooled, and quickly. We can argue whether it was two, three or one week ago, but at some point he backed off.

I’m wondering if he was contacted about another job he potentially wanted more, or at least wanted to explore, before giving a final answer to Texas. With the Saban retirement rumor, the Michigan situation, etc, maybe there’s another job he’s working in parallel.

7 minutes ago, pops said:

Anybody that needs anymore data points I present to you the holy grail of data points. 

"In the middle of that initial face-to-face discussion between Foley and Meyer, the Utah coach had to excuse himself to do a previously planned interview. During ABC's television coverage of the Texas-Texas A&M game in Austin, Meyer was interviewed via telephone by the network."

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

One of the strangest things about his dance with Texas was the strong interest by both sides. Then all of a sudden he cooled, and quickly. We can argue whether it was two, three or one week ago, but at some point he backed off.

I suspect the timing wasn't appropriate for the Meyer and Texas brands with Covid climaxing everywhere. 

In other words, health issues.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Given that the thread has spun itself back into a frenzy, I might as well add to it.

I’m wondering if he was contacted about another job he potentially wanted more, or at least wanted to explore, before giving a final answer to Texas. With the Saban retirement rumor, the Michigan situation, etc, maybe there’s another job he’s working in parallel.

This is sounding more and more likely to me. I don't think he'd go to Michigan but ND/Bama definitely would be enticing to him. Bama would be plug and play but it sounds like the administration there is hanging its hat on Sark as the successor.

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

This is sounding more and more likely to me. I don't think he'd go to Michigan but ND/Bama definitely would be enticing to him. Bama would be plug and play but it sounds like the administration there is hanging its hat on Sark as the successor.

@closetojumping Anything on this?

Edited by KYHorn

3 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Good grief.  A kolache with meat in it is one of two things---a pig in a blanket or a klobasnek, Kolaches come with apple, apricot, prune, peach, strawberry, poppyseed, or various other fruit fillings.  Calling a piece of dough around a sausage a kolache, is about like calling Bill Miller's good BBQ....

This man is 100% correct. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Octavian said:

I just do not see him following that close to Bama and leaving doubt for any games won there. Kelly might though since he could cash in and retire with a ring or two there. Michigan is a non starter but Kelly wouldn't go there opening up ND for UM right?

9 minutes ago, Octavian said:

This article is interesting because it definitely implies this is not about the money for him. I might actually go through both the ND and UT rosters here to gauge the talent because that seems like the key factor. I don't know if recruiting proximity would quite matter given he's Urban Meyer but perhaps a slight to moderate advantage for UT there. Not sure what the AD/administrative differences are.

Possible. Or maybe he's just trying to assemble a staff as quietly as possible?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Waiting on Kelly to bolt to the NFL, I get. Urban can take over and win ND an elusive NC, making him the greatest of all time. 

Waiting to take over for Saban where expectations are SKY HIGH... that seems far fetched.

He keeps using the phrase “perfect situation.”

To me, a perfect situation for a guy who didn’t want to completely wreck his previous school by stealing their staff, would be going to another school that is already composed of dozens of personnel that you previously hired.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Queen Bitch said:

Waiting on Kelly to bolt to the NFL, I get. Urban can take over and win ND an elusive NC, making him the greatest of all time. 

Waiting to take over for Saban where expectations are SKY HIGH... that seems far fetched.

This

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Possible. Or maybe he's just trying to assemble a staff as quietly as possible?

Plus Herman still isn’t fired. Close to NSD for texas and for the OSU staff that he would be poaching from. Best for all parties to keep

quiet till after NSD and the CCGs. CDC is the one we need to watch, as long as he stays quiet and offers Herman no assurances publicly we look good

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Anybody that needs anymore data points I present to you the holy grail of data points. 

"In the middle of that initial face-to-face discussion between Foley and Meyer, the Utah coach had to excuse himself to do a previously planned interview. During ABC's television coverage of the Texas-Texas A&M game in Austin, Meyer was interviewed via telephone by the network."

alignment.....and Texas won that game.....  it's happening

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm surprised its not postponed.

Well, now that the Meyer smoke-screen is complete - they can fire Tom and start a 'search' while they wait for Urban to finish making preparations for his arrival in Austin coronation and the subsequent tar and feathering of the prior ruler.

fixed it foreveryone GIF

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I can't see him wanting to coach against OSU and his ego seems to be to obig to follow Saban.  He doesn't want to take over a dynasty, he wants to build one.

Edited by closetohumping

18 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I dont think it's all about money for him,  but 2 million a year when you're 40 and 10 to 12 million a year even you're 56 with potential health issues is a huge difference. 

That being said,  if kelly left ND, which who the fuck knows,  I don't think they would need to match a Texas offer. I really think it is his dream job and if he brought them a title or two he would become the 2nd saint urban. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm of the opinion that I don't give one fuck what something is called in the Czech Republic. Here, in this state, kolaches have meat in them. When some hipster or foodie dipshit who overrates themselves and their importance pipes up pedantically to tell a room what they're actually "supposed" to be called during a breakfast meeting, they're shouted down and told to shut the fuck off, and we take their fucking kolaches away. 

Don't be such a mouth-breathing ignoramus. Central Texas is full of Central/Eastern Europeans, so it makes complete sense that people on this board would clear up the correct terms for kolache and klobasnek. Not everyone is a foodie dipshit who sucks the Voodoo Doughnut sugar off their fingers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

I can't see him wanting to coach against OSU and his ego seems to be to obig to follow Saban.  He doesn't want to take over a dynasty, he wants to build one.

No matter where Urban decides to coach, he will end up coaching against OSU at some point. They are in the playoffs every fucking year.

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Still better than Herman 

Cowherd was roommates with Coach Jim McElwain (current Central Michigan University football head coach) at Eastern Washington.

Cowherd began his career as the play-by-play voice for the San Diego Padres Triple-A affiliate Las Vegas Stars. He eventually became a sports director at KVBC in Las Vegas, where he was named Nevada's Sportscaster of the Year five times.[5] He served as weekend sports anchor at WTVT in Tampa, Florida.[when?] In 1996, he moved to Portland, Oregon where he worked as a sports anchorman for KGW-TV.[6] In 2001, The Herd moved from an afternoon time slot on all-sports radio KFXX to the morning drive time.[7]

IdealPartialAustralianfreshwatercrocodil

If he is, they're much better at keeping it under wraps. Not that the bar is super high. We did better this go around than we did with Saban, but the entire world still knows we tried to hire him.

3 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

Good grief.  A kolache with meat in it is one of two things---a pig in a blanket or a klobasnek, Kolaches come with apple, apricot, prune, peach, strawberry, poppyseed, or various other fruit fillings.  Calling a piece of dough around a sausage a kolache, is about like calling Bill Miller's good BBQ....

5 minutes ago, Sal said:

Don't be such a mouth-breathing ignoramus. Central Texas is full of Central/Eastern Europeans, so it makes complete sense that people on this board would clear up the correct terms for kolache and klobasnek. Not everyone is a foodie dipshit who sucks the Voodoo Doughnut sugar off their fingers. 

Interesting that you guys who are kind enough to educate everyone on the proper term both had to copy-and-paste it from elsewhere. These damn WYSIWYG editors kind of give you away.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic