Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

15 minutes ago, Kurt Bowels said:

I think deep down inside, Urban Meyer is pissed that Ryan Day is 60 minutes away, and many more chances in the future, from attaining some of the credit that Urban built. It wouldn't surprise me if he made the call to Texas tonight.

There's no effin way Urban Meyer (and Shelley) doesn't care about his college football legacy, where he stands on the all-time list. Saban can win another in about ten days. Day could begin his own legacy riding the coattails of Urban's hard work. I don't think the picture is just happenstance. I think Meyer could really be pissed tonight. Is he about to go...

requests are open — bête noire

...on Ohio State?

If so this is what he is about to do to the Big 12....

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll add this, I would not even consider entertaining UM to Texas still but for the fact that the silence is deafening. UM “says no” to Texas and the trail for a new coach goes stone cold quiet with the exception of a few 9.95er articles discussing a laundry list of candidates and that conversations are happening.  No legit media source has broken anything about the job, instead everyone has assumed herman is coming back.  And while that would suggest he is coming back there is still a ton of smoke saying he’s gone.  The asymmetry here suggests he’s gone and a deal is done. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I see you and raise that to the only decent scene in the “pre-bullshit”

40474F5E-3ED9-49AE-8169-DABE530EE573.gif

Gotta go Empire here...  toy with them...cut off their damn hand and say I’m your daddy!

darth vader luke GIF by Star Wars

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll admit I’m feeling a bit worn out. I’ve got both friends and family talking to me about this constantly. Half are looking for affirmation, and half are angry with me for even thinking UM would consider us. I was hoping the fuse would be lit tonight. Oh well. 

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

I’ll admit I’m feeling a bit worn out. I’ve got both friends and family talking to me about this constantly. Half are looking for affirmation, and half are angry with me for even thinking UM would consider us. I was hoping the fuse would be lit tonight. Oh well. 

I stopped talking about it with my mom who asks me. Told her I dunno still up in the air, who knows.... how’s the weather?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Caddox said:

Staying at my aggy brother in law’s house for Xmas was fuuucking torture

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Disown the latter half.

Would still like to see the cleansing start tomorrow before the Orange bowl to piss some folks off.
Let the ‘search’ start afterwards, then ‘seal the deal’ after the NC. 😉

I’ll just be patient until then & promptly do my best Flash Jump when Urban is announced.

Edited by Griff

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

The haters know not what they hate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sure. Just start calling it equally on runners when they lower their crown. Until then fuck that rule. 

True, but also go back to a simple understanding of the physics of the body and the game itself, in that when a defender attempts to go low for a cross-body tackle, their head is going to naturally dip as well, to where any incidental contact will more than likely include the “crown” area (which is defined as more than just the tip top of your helmet, and seems to include the upper forehead in most illustrations). They’re going to aim with their shoulder and attempt to wrap, but unfortunately they can’t slide their head out of the way, it’s coming with them, and it’s going to be lowered. Then when the target changes on the offensive end by it slowing down, lowering the head, or sliding, the defender has zero time to react, and “pop”, your aim is off now.
We first made it to where you can’t hardly tackle high anymore. I remember a game against Tech one year where Tech wanted a flag on Sergio Kindle, and the announcing crew seriously entertained it, after Kindle just ran straight up off the edge and tackled the QB. No dipping the head. Nothing. Start of the crown of Kindle’s helmet hit the QB’s helmet. That’s a penalty 9 times out of 10 these days, and you rarely see tackles like that anymore because the defenders adjusted to make sure to go lower. But runners lower their heads as well and draw the flags, so defenders are going even lower, mid-section and down. But now the QB is sliding more often (See Overshown just Friday. If that’s a B12 crew, he’s ejected).
So yah, the lower you go, the more you’re gunna lead with the crown of your helmet, that’s just how our bodies work. Watch OL/DL come out of a three point stance off the ball. They’re leading with their crown every time, because that’s what our bodies do when we run low like that, especially in helmets and shoulder pads. That goes hand in hand with the whole reason you see OL (mainly tackles) in two-point stances more often these days than in the past, because coaching has decided it’ll sacrifice the advantage of leverage in coming off of the ball low, in trade for the OL having better vision before and at the time of and just after the snap without their heads “lowered” in a 3pt because, ya know, that’s how the fucking body works.
The game of football at the legislative/officiating level seems to have lost touch with what their football players are actually capable of physically, and what they can be expected to realistically prevent within the nature of the game, and at the speed in which it is played (full), and it seems to be trending even further.
So when I see comments such as Carrington’s here, about “two-hand touch”, in which I’d have long ago dismissed as some ignorant, old school “get off of my lawn” type of take, I actually understand it more and more now. And looking at how the Big12 officiates it, yah, I can see it getting even worse for defenders.
  • Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, Truck Norris said:

The last hour in this thread has me pumped for 2021

Dude I feel like all the star wars stuff is making it extra lit already.  Who new we'd get star wars in the Urban or bust thread.  Thats what dreams are made of

27 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

True, but also go back to a simple understanding of the physics of the body and the game itself, in that when a defender attempts to go low for a cross-body tackle, their head is going to naturally dip as well, to where any incidental contact will more than likely include the “crown” area (which is defined as more than just the tip top of your helmet, and seems to include the upper forehead in most illustrations). They’re going to aim with their shoulder and attempt to wrap, but unfortunately they can’t slide their head out of the way, it’s coming with them, and it’s going to be lowered. Then when the target changes on the offensive end by it slowing down, lowering the head, or sliding, the defender has zero time to react, and “pop”, your aim is off now.
We first made it to where you can’t hardly tackle high anymore. I remember a game against Tech one year where Tech wanted a flag on Sergio Kindle, and the announcing crew seriously entertained it, after Kindle just ran straight up off the edge and tackled the QB. No dipping the head. Nothing. Start of the crown of Kindle’s helmet hit the QB’s helmet. That’s a penalty 9 times out of 10 these days, and you rarely see tackles like that anymore because the defenders adjusted to make sure to go lower. But runners lower their heads as well and draw the flags, so defenders are going even lower, mid-section and down. But now the QB is sliding more often (See Overshown just Friday. If that’s a B12 crew, he’s ejected).
So yah, the lower you go, the more you’re gunna lead with the crown of your helmet, that’s just how our bodies work. Watch OL/DL come out of a three point stance off the ball. They’re leading with their crown every time, because that’s what our bodies do when we run low like that, especially in helmets and shoulder pads. That goes hand in hand with the whole reason you see OL (mainly tackles) in two-point stances more often these days than in the past, because coaching has decided it’ll sacrifice the advantage of leverage in coming off of the ball low, in trade for the OL having better vision before and at the time of and just after the snap without their heads “lowered” in a 3pt because, ya know, that’s how the fucking body works.
The game of football at the legislative/officiating level seems to have lost touch with what their football players are actually capable of physically, and what they can be expected to realistically prevent within the nature of the game, and at the speed in which it is played (full), and it seems to be trending even further.
So when I see comments such as Carrington’s here, about “two-hand touch”, in which I’d have long ago dismissed as some ignorant, old school “get off of my lawn” type of take, I actually understand it more and more now. And looking at how the Big12 officiates it, yah, I can see it getting even worse for defenders.

this.  they are asking the impossible of these defenders when they try to go low(because they have be forced to).  had the Clemson player hit Fields butt(instead of his ribs/spleen) the same way and Fields got up and walked away there would have been zero review and no targeting.

we were taught to tackle high with facemask to the chest because it is the safest way to tackle in American football. then players would be facemask to chest and the helmet would ride up and hit the chin of the runner or QB(targeting, unless you are Sam against OU)so they started to go lower near the waist and were taught to use shoulder(yeah! more shoulder injuries).  you can target the waist with a shoulder but if the player moves, your helmet crown, which is basically the entire front and top of the helmet always has a chance to hit the runner hard.

I see people reference spearing.  spearing in the original context was a totally different animal.  it was basically preventing guys from literally running at a player arms down leading with helmet. then it changed, still many decades ago, to any head down but what they were talking about was running and standing up or diving into a pile, not going low.  why because we were still being taught to hit the chest with facemask/forehead(not the direct very top) and get your head across the bow.

the targeting rule as it currently exists, officiated and reviewed, is dumb and more importantly is officiated more inconsistently than anything other than OL holding and PI.

football is not like rugby at all in the way the players and ball move. yes you can still get hurt and those guys are tough as shit but the really high velocity hits rarely happen.

we need to protect high head to head contact, the other stuff is just part of the game. its violent and people are going to get hurt.  

It will be nice to have Urban. I am sure our targeting penalties will disappear.

Edited by dcar00

54 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ll add this, I would not even consider entertaining UM to Texas still but for the fact that the silence is deafening. UM “says no” to Texas and the trail for a new coach goes stone cold quiet with the exception of a few 9.95er articles discussing a laundry list of candidates and that conversations are happening.  No legit media source has broken anything about the job, instead everyone has assumed herman is coming back.  And while that would suggest he is coming back there is still a ton of smoke saying he’s gone.  The asymmetry here suggests he’s gone and a deal is done. 

You guys are funny lol. It's over, Urban isn't coming here. Let it go...

• Fuck You 35

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  they are asking the impossible of these defenders when they try to go low(because they have be forced to).  had the Clemson player hit Fields butt(instead of his ribs/spleen) the same way and Fields got up and walked away there would have been zero review and no targeting.

we were taught to tackle high with facemask to the chest because it is the safest way to tackle in American football. then players would be facemask to chest and the helmet would ride up and hit the chin of the runner or QB(targeting, unless you are Sam against OU)so they started to go lower near the waist and were taught to use shoulder(yeah! more shoulder injuries).  you can target the waist with a shoulder but if the player moves, your helmet crown, which is basically the entire front and top of the helmet always has a chance to hit the runner hard.

I see people reference spearing.  spearing in the original context was a totally different animal.  it was basically preventing guys from literally running at a player arms down leading with helmet. then it changed, still many decades ago, to any head down but what they were talking about was running and standing up or diving into a pile, not going low.  why because we were still being taught to hit the chest with facemask/forehead(not the direct very top) and get your head across the bow.

the targeting rule as it currently exists, officiated and reviewed, is dumb and more importantly is officiated more inconsistently than anything other than OL holding and PI.

football is not like rugby at all in the way the players and ball move. yes you can still get hurt and those guys are tough as shit but the really high velocity hits rarely happen.

we need to protect high head to head contact, the other stuff is just part of the game. its violent and people are going to get hurt.  

No, you're wrong. Tackling like that causes broken necks and should never be legal. Ever. 

That's why it's illegal, not to protect the runner. 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, you're wrong. Tackling like that causes broken necks and should never be legal. Ever. 

That's why it's illegal, not to protect the runner. 

they aren't officiating it that way at all. missing at least a dozen targeting calls a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

How about this timeline:

1/2/21 Fire Herman

1/3/22 Announce UM as new HC

1/4/21 press Conference to introduce UM

1/5/21-1/11/21 UM interviews and evaluates existing coaches and staff. 

finalize coaching staff after CFP Final

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, BB65 said:

How about this timeline:

1/2/21 Fire Herman

1/3/22 Announce UM as new HC

1/4/21 press Conference to introduce UM

1/5/21-1/11/21 UM interviews and evaluates existing coaches and staff. 

finalize coaching staff after CFP Final

Yeah I was trying to come up with a timeline that makes sense where Urban takes the job publicly before the Final. This makes sense imho.

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I was trying to come up with a timeline that makes sense where Urban takes the job publicly before the Final. This makes sense imho.

Besides UM maybe comfortable with some coaches on staff. Some have worked with him before with success. That would maintain some continuity in regards to recruiting