Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah I was trying to come up with a timeline that makes sense where Urban takes the job publicly before the Final. This makes sense imho.

Does it though?? Why would we wait a full year to announce UM as the new coach from when we fire Herman and hold a press conference to introduce UM. We should really consider doing that around the same time as the other events.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stinkpalm said:

Does it though?? Why would we wait a full year to announce UM as the new coach from when we fire Herman and hold a press conference to introduce UM. We should really consider doing that around the same time as the other events.

5d chess man 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

It doesn’t make sense. Because it was not a full year. 

8 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

Heh, yeah. I missed the typo there. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

this.  they are asking the impossible of these defenders when they try to go low(because they have be forced to).  had the Clemson player hit Fields butt(instead of his ribs/spleen) the same way and Fields got up and walked away there would have been zero review and no targeting.

we were taught to tackle high with facemask to the chest because it is the safest way to tackle in American football. then players would be facemask to chest and the helmet would ride up and hit the chin of the runner or QB(targeting, unless you are Sam against OU)so they started to go lower near the waist and were taught to use shoulder(yeah! more shoulder injuries).  you can target the waist with a shoulder but if the player moves, your helmet crown, which is basically the entire front and top of the helmet always has a chance to hit the runner hard.

I see people reference spearing.  spearing in the original context was a totally different animal.  it was basically preventing guys from literally running at a player arms down leading with helmet. then it changed, still many decades ago, to any head down but what they were talking about was running and standing up or diving into a pile, not going low.  why because we were still being taught to hit the chest with facemask/forehead(not the direct very top) and get your head across the bow.

the targeting rule as it currently exists, officiated and reviewed, is dumb and more importantly is officiated more inconsistently than anything other than OL holding and PI.

football is not like rugby at all in the way the players and ball move. yes you can still get hurt and those guys are tough as shit but the really high velocity hits rarely happen.

we need to protect high head to head contact, the other stuff is just part of the game. its violent and people are going to get hurt.  

It will be nice to have Urban. I am sure our targeting penalties will disappear.

That hit was just like the hit that knocked Colt out of the BCSCG, only it was lower on the body. No review, of course. 
bcs-championship-alabama-vs-texas_origin

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 5

40 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

That hit was just like the hit that knocked Colt out of the BCSCG, only it was lower on the body. No review, of course. 
bcs-championship-alabama-vs-texas_origin

And no spearing call, no ejection, no questioning of the hit by uninterested/uncurious sports media..... so you know what means!

The Kelly press conference sure didn’t sound like a guy leaving. This whole situation is getting weirder by the day. 

If Kelly is out, I don’t see any coach as a clear take at this point over Herman except for Meyer. And frankly, with a ton of bowl losses, rumors of being an ass, boring offenses, and little experience defending against the OU type offense, I’m not that fired up about Kelly anyway. 

And having heard Herman is out, as unbelievable as it sounds, Meyer is still the only logical conclusion, even though he “declined”. Choo Choo on the Urban Express.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The Kelly press conference sure didn’t sound like a guy leaving. This whole situation is getting weirder by the day. 

If Kelly is out, I don’t see any coach as a clear take at this point over Herman except for Meyer. And frankly, with a ton of bowl losses, rumors of being an ass, boring offenses, and little experience defending against the OU type offense, I’m not that fired up about Kelly anyway. 

And having heard Herman is out, as unbelievable as it sounds, Meyer is still the only logical conclusion, even though he “declined”. Choo Choo on the Urban Express.

I mean what do you expect Brian to say?   I thought him saying the nd brass and fans expectations are too high was very telling

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So we're down to Urban and Sark? 

14 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Or, maybe, not unlike this site, everyone agrees they want Herman gone but can't agree on a replacement and the deadlock proves to be too much.

6 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

This is kind of where I’m at.  I think the odds of Herman keeping his job are growing every day. 

Yeah there's just no reason for him to be employed at this point. Particularly if he makes it past Monday morning. Unless, well, yeah.

19 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

*Belichick

Yeah, it is almost time to start the Belichick or bust thread. There are rumors that he can be a bit of an ass and he hasn't had head coaching experience in college. But, there are at least a few positives with him. He was born in the south so he may understand the importance of football down here. And he only makes $7.5 million per year so it wouldn't break the bank to get him. And because of that if it doesn't work out, we can always replace him with Venables or an up and comer like Herman in a few years. I just hope he would know how to build a staff that can succeed at the college level and can handle all the press, media, and BMDs that Texas presents and can find a way to ingratiate himself with the Texas high school football coaches. Agghh, I am talking myself out of it. Urban or bust or keep Herman another year or BK or whatever. But, what if he brought Muschamp with him?

Edited by Bevo

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, it is almost time to start the Belichick or bust thread. There are rumors that he can be a bit of an ass and he hasn't had had head coaching experience in college. But, there are at least a few positives with him. He was born in the south so he may understand the importance of football down here. And he only makes $7.5 million per year so it wouldn't break the bank to get him. And because of that if it doesn't work out, we can always replace him with Venables or an up and comer like Herman in a few years. I just hope he would know how to build a staff that can succeed at the college level and can handle all the press, media, and BMDs that Texas presents and can find a way to ingratiate himself with the Texas high school football coaches. Agghh, I am talking myself out of it. Urban or bust or keep Herman another year or BK or whatever.

Has anyone ever seen Belichick and Shannahan in the same room? Just saying. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

we were taught to tackle high with facemask to the chest because it is the safest way to tackle in American football. then players would be facemask to chest and the helmet would ride up and hit the chin of the runner or QB

You must've played in the 80's, too, bc that's what I was taught.

Nowadays, the safest tackling is more rugby-style. The Seahawks, among others, have been teaching it for years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah there's just no reason for him to be employed at this point. Particularly if he makes it past Monday morning. Unless, well, yeah.

well let's see if the douche on IT who said he gets fired at 4 today turns out not to be a douche and actually knows something. 8 1/2 hours............

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, alphahorn said:

well let's see if the douche on IT who said he gets fired at 4 today turns out not to be a douche and actually knows something. 8 1/2 hours............

Hadn't heard that. Sound's like we're drinking at 4pm today either way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Shit balls, day shift, swing shift and night shift you guys killed it yesterday.   Nice job.  Just thinking ahead should we reserve a venue and plan a menu for the forthcoming announcement on UM?  Do we have blow hook up?  Hookers?   I feel like a party is coming on the horizon.