Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

39 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Once Herman is fired, it'll be a week minimum before press conference announcing new the coach.  Public state job has to be posed for a minimum amount of time before being officially filled.  Not sure exactly how long, but there will be no press conference anytime soon announcing Meyer or anyone else on 1/4.  You could very well start to hear rumblings and be pretty confident it is happening fairly soon after termination, but nothing official this quickly. 

But firing Herman and having all the media speculation and talking about Meyer in particular if indeed he is on board leading up to the title game would still be beneficial publicity.   On the flip side, you don't want stories about how Meyer turned us down again, and then Campbell did too because he loves the midwest, and UT had to settle for it's 3rd or 4th choice.    So if Herman is fired today, we have a firm yes from someone already in my opinion.   Now it might in actuality be our 3rd choice, and we might give Meyer one last chance quietly circling back before finalizing a deal with someone else.  But having waited this long before firing him has to mean that they will have some new coach everyone is comfortable hiring  that has agreed to come.   And that fits the narrative that came out from the 9.95ers the other day as well.  We'll see.  Hope the axe falls today, but not holding my breath.

Nope. Do you even fucking remember how this went down last time? Ot how to use Google? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Dates are confusing there what day fired what day hired?

38 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Tom Herman’s introductory press conference was the day after they announced Strong was fired. 

I didn't remember that.  Thanks for pointing that out.   Hopefully something will happen soon then, I'm tired of this and ready to argue about what assistant coaches we should be retaining and complaining about why we should be able to get better ones than who actually does get hired.

Charlie lost to TCU on the day after TG, Friday November 25th

Charlie was fired that Saturday November 26th

Herman was officially announced on Sunday November 27th in a press conference where he kissed Mack's ring

In other news, the NFL shit was still out there.  Black Monday is fast approaching so if something more concrete on our front has not started happening by then will definitely be something to pay attention to. 

53 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. That’s me as well when I say I don’t really believe urban but it’s logical on all sides and I feel like logic generally wins out.  It feels more like there is no coaching search going on and we really are bringing back Herman, but there are so many good posters on here (and IT- who is the best of the 9.95’ers) who swear he’s gone that I believe. Sort of. 

It’s crossed my mind on multiple occasions, pretty much daily as I read the threads, that I would be laughing my ass off watching an aggie thread of this ilk. We’d be crowing at their delusion given how obvious it is that their coach is coming back. 

We’re Texas, so, yeah, the Hermancipation could honestly not be nigh, but I have not heard anyone who knows anything waiver about his ass being gone. That’s also reflected in all of the circumstantial stuff. 

In any event, there is a deep, dark part of my soul that would be entertained by the guy returning for the 2021 season. The amount of hate and neg rep I’d be stacking, among others, would be semi-glorious in an nihilistic kind of way. 

But yeah, his ass is fired within 24 hours of them being able to announce the hiring of whomever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

So if we make it a couple of days with no news it’s more likely urban or NFL.  Having never hired direct from the NFL I’d lean to Urban. Make it 14-15 days and it’s herms again. Puke.  Right now we are in the Kelly/venables/Dabo lol window.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

None of the State hiring requirements apply to coaches.  The BoR has to approve their contracts and that's pretty much it.

Furthermore, why would our athletic department be hindered by Texas state hiring requirements if we're not using taxpayer monies to fund the coach's salary?

Any lawyers wanna chime in?

48 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Once Herman is fired, it'll be a week minimum before press conference announcing new the coach.  Public state job has to be posed for a minimum amount of time before being officially filled.  Not sure exactly how long, but there will be no press conference anytime soon announcing Meyer or anyone else on 1/4.  You could very well start to hear rumblings and be pretty confident it is happening fairly soon after termination, but nothing official this quickly. 

But firing Herman and having all the media speculation and talking about Meyer in particular if indeed he is on board leading up to the title game would still be beneficial publicity.   On the flip side, you don't want stories about how Meyer turned us down again, and then Campbell did too because he loves the midwest, and UT had to settle for it's 3rd or 4th choice.    So if Herman is fired today, we have a firm yes from someone already in my opinion.   Now it might in actuality be our 3rd choice, and we might give Meyer one last chance quietly circling back before finalizing a deal with someone else.  But having waited this long before firing him has to mean that they will have some new coach everyone is comfortable hiring  that has agreed to come.   And that fits the narrative that came out from the 9.95ers the other day as well.  We'll see.  Hope the axe falls today, but not holding my breath.

You guys didn't know the job has to be posted on Craigslist at least a week before we can hire UM?

• Haha 1

Statement from The University of Texas at Austin:

With our football season coming to a close, our vice president and athletics director, Chris Del Conte, has evaluated the UT program’s strengths and weaknesses and where the program is relative to our goals. While we have made measured progress during the past several years under Tom Herman’s leadership, Chris has recommended to the university president, Jay Hartzell, that UT make a coaching change to get us on track to achieving our ambitious goals. President Hartzell and the chair of our Board of Regents, Kevin Eltife, concur with this recommendation and have approved the change. We thank Coach Herman for his service and dedication to our student-athletes, our program and our university.

Official?  

Edited by SDG
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 minutes ago, troph said:

So if we make it a couple of days with no news it’s more likely urban or NFL.  Having never hired direct from the NFL I’d lean to Urban. Make it 14-15 days and it’s herms again. Puke.  Right now we are in the Kelly/venables/Dabo lol window.

I’d say you have to include Campbell and Mullen in the first window and Sarkisian and Herman in the second. I am not saying I love those options, but if you’re looking to rule people out, if we hear nothing substantial by EOD Monday, you can rule all of the first wave out. Plus the NFL. 

For the second wave, well, if it isn’t Meyer, kill me now. So it has to be Urban Meyer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, derpyhorndog said:

NSIAP, but these are the two Pittsburgh Panther staffers who I identified as having potential ties (one strong, other tenuous):

• Adam Caltury, Director of Recruiting - Served as a recruiting assistant under Meyer at tOSU; his current role at Pitt is the same one Mark Pantoni had at tOSU while Meyer was there (recruiting program coordinator)
  • Michael Stacchiotti, Strength & Conditioning Coach - no ties to tOSU or any of Meyer's former HC stops, but Stacchiotti is an Ohio native (and a pretty well-respective S&C coach based on some quick digging); same role as Marotti, equally strong Italian name; was on Fickell's inagural staff at Cincy

1 hour ago, derpyhorndog said:

This could be the plane that took Shelley from Siesta Key/Sarasota to NOLA. On Thursday, it went from Sarasota to Pittsburgh (one of the curious stops the Kendra Scott plane made what seems like forever ago - I believe someone hundreds of pages back eventually made some connection to family there?). Early Friday afternoon it went Pittsburgh to NOLA, and it's currently on its way to Van Nuys/LA.

The plane is Wheels-Up operated and I was able to track down it's tail number (N920UP) despite FlightAware not providing it: it's owned by Textron Financial Corporation, a publicly traded commercial financial company, so nothing juicy there. But that's a curious string of flights (and the only plane identified in much digging as having gone from Sarasota to NOLA in short order) and suggests Urban maybe on his way to LA. 

You found the Caltury connection.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It’s crossed my mind on multiple occasions, pretty much daily as I read the threads, that I would be laughing my ass off watching an aggie thread of this ilk. We’d be crowing at their delusion given how obvious it is that their coach is coming back. 

We’re Texas, so, yeah, the Hermancipation could honestly not be nigh, but I have not heard anyone who knows anything waiver about his ass being gone. That’s also reflected in all of the circumstantial stuff. 

In any event, there is a deep, dark part of my soul that would be entertained by the guy returning for the 2021 season. The amount of hate and neg rep I’d be stacking, among others, would be semi-glorious in an nihilistic kind of way. 

But yeah, his ass is fired within 24 hours of them being able to announce the hiring of whomever. 

It’s quite Q level shit too. But the thing is I’m urban or bust not because it’s urban per se but because I honestly don’t see a guarantee to a return to prominence unless it’s urban. And strangely the fact pattern and past behavior of the parties involved really does support the theory.  Someone is wrong though, that much we know. Herm is staying makes a lot of people wrong, including most if not all 995ers and some well respected no bullshit guys here. Urban comes to Texas has very few folks wrong because he self reported to some folks a no answer and all they did was parrot that but he did the same to tOSU and Fla.  I think UM or Herm stays are the odds on favorites with Kelly or NFL or someone else as a darkhorse.  I think Kelly and other CFB coaches (venables, Dabo, Cincy guy, others) window is now so they drop off as possibles in a matter of a few days. That leaves herm stays and UM as the probables and the never done before hire from the NFL as the last darkhorse.  The fact that the noise is herman is done, all our eggs went to UM and there was a ton of chatter, now it’s silent and we’re told patience Daniel-San, is a very compelling UM deal is fully baked story line.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I want to believe. It’s completely logical. It should happen. I believe people like you who have insight. But yeah- if this was aggy we’d be mocking them for engaging in fan fiction without a doubt. 
mad far as Herman coming back- I’d almost be ok with it on some level over an underwhelming hire if it weren’t for the fact that he’s clearly lost the hearts and minds in the war for talent acquisition. 
If he’s gone in a couple days/weeks you can undoubtedly make the point that we are much better now Than we were four years ago- but if you let him hang around for another year he will be responsible for bringing in 2 shitty classes in a row (21 and 22) and we will be well behind on the 23 class. 
1 bad class is no big deal- especially in the era of being able to paper over holes with the transfer portal, but the rot that’s sets in if we wait 11 months to do this thing makes this a really tough haul to turn around. 
it’s got to happen. Except for the fact that as a self loathing texas fan I fully expect us to stupidly blast away at our own dicks at all times. 

On 12/31/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dbeasy said:

Correct. Hicks said that too. Basically said Mack ruined it. And somehow our BoR, AD, President and boosters all stood by and let him do it, which makes no sense to me.

well, if you think Mack, the individual, ruined it then that is where you are getting it wrong

his fucking attorney and bestest friend was Joe Jamail; that's who likely fucked the timing of hiring Saban. You don't think him threatening law suits and pulling his mega donations gave Texas pause?

9 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Furthermore, why would our athletic department be hindered by Texas state hiring requirements if we're not using taxpayer monies to fund the coach's salary?

Any lawyers wanna chime in?

I think it used to be a requirement back in the day but the powers that be got an exception added. When it was a requirement it was simply any job for any public agency has to be open for 10 days or whatever.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I want to believe. It’s completely logical. It should happen. I believe people like you who have insight. But yeah- if this was aggy we’d be mocking them for engaging in fan fiction without a doubt. 
mad far as Herman coming back- I’d almost be ok with it on some level over an underwhelming hire if it weren’t for the fact that he’s clearly lost the hearts and minds in the war for talent acquisition. 
If he’s gone in a couple days/weeks you can undoubtedly make the point that we are much better now Than we were four years ago- but if you let him hang around for another year he will be responsible for bringing in 2 shitty classes in a row (21 and 22) and we will be well behind on the 23 class. 
1 bad class is no big deal- especially in the era of being able to paper over holes with the transfer portal, but the rot that’s sets in if we wait 11 months to do this thing makes this a really tough haul to turn around. 
it’s got to happen. Except for the fact that as a self loathing texas fan I fully expect us to stupidly blast away at our own dicks at all times. 

I don't think it will be Urban, but we made fun of the aggies right up until they hired Jimbo.

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Wow. How was this not leaked before the official statement?  It really seems like a different era in UT athletics (or so I hope). 

It took me a second to believe it because the official statement beat all the press.