Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, runthebone said:

If Meyer takes the Jacksonville job, I hope he fails spectacularly and bails on them for health reasons.

Because if he's not here, he can go fuck himself.

If he goes to Jacksonville, keep this thread warm on the back burner because he probably only lasts a few years before he decides to go back to college for a last run to the top.  

UT will be tan, rested and stocked with top 5 talent.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh, right. Houston did. He was wearing a UH hat immediately after the championship game was over, not a UT hat. He had already started recruiting kids to UH before the championship game. 

I remember that, not a good look. I imagine that’s when the animosity began between UM and Herman. 

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

except in that case, the coach was the only thing that wasn't the problem, and you might want to check back in on the nats.

Klins sucked though. We had a lot of probs, but he was one. I’m still down with Nats. I’ll be in Qatar if they are!

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The way I see it:

1) everyone fucking hates Herman

2) there's more trust in CDC/Hartzell/Eltife than the previous decision-makers

3) bringing Herman back was untenable after we busted on Urban and the entire world knew about it.

4.  He had us going in the wrong direction long term, Exhibit A. Recruiting. 

5.  His lack of ability to recognize coaching deficiencies and act/replace them is suspect at best.  He’s not good at the number 1 job of being a HC.  

He has put us in a recruiting hole that will take 3 cycles to recover from, another year would set us back 5.  He had to go for so many reasons.  

welcome back Mac

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

What I don't understand, is how the BMD's became sold on Sark (about a .500 HC) to get the mensa-boi buyout money.
Were they told that this is the best next up-and-comer?
Were they told that this is the best Texas can do because CUM isn't coming?  LULZ.

alpha posted a bamainsider video blog in the happysark thread that boils it down to recruiting, sark does it, he was responsible for their texas raid this year, etc.

Put me in the camp that Herman had to go.  He did not have the demeanor or temperament for the job.

• Backpack dance
  • kissing
  • crying at WVU game
  • Grills and sledgehammers
  • flipping off the LHN cameras
  • inability to change his approach to games
  • bringing in JV staff (just like Charlie)
  • poor in game coaching like the fake punt vs ISU
  • winning is hard
  • 1-4 vs OU

He had to go.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I’m here to take my medicine and answer to anything I posted in the past. I believed UM was in play until I saw the tweet from the main UT account. I was wrong and I’m willing to take lumps from anyone over the matter. 

So why did your contacts believe he was still in play? As I posted earlier he told us no in November and again the first week of December. My info came from the Urban side. I don’t see how certain BMD’s could be that far out of the loop. 

54 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

If he goes to Jacksonville, keep this thread warm on the back burner because he probably only lasts a few years before he decides to go back to college for a last run to the top.  

UT will be tan, rested and stocked with top 5 talent.  

Here's hoping we don't need him.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So why did your contacts believe he was still in play? As I posted earlier he told us no in November and again the first week of December. My info came from the Urban side. I don’t see how certain BMD’s could be that far out of the loop. 

I had very good donor insight up until Dec. 5th. There were two donors that I knew from the Charlie years that had me on a text thread. I earned my way onto that thread. I don’t have the $$$ to help, but I have the life long devotion. So I help where and how I can. Or I did, I’m not as young as I used to be.

I have good insight from both the Dallas and Houston side as a result. The Houston side hasn’t meant much in this latest saga, they had their chance at the plate with Herman and it just didn’t work out. 

The Dallas guys on my text thread started talking about UM last season. Basically saying that UM is sending us major signals that he wants to be courted. 

Those same guys were saying stuff like “Urban told us what a joke this game was” or “Urban says Herman is meddling with the play calling.”

I wanted Urbs but I've got a good feeling about this. I'm looking for positive recruiting news to start trickling out soon resulting in a highly rated class. 

Welcome to Texas, (University of). Show us what you got. 

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You.

Hook'em!  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Then after the OU game, my text thread lit up like a Christmas tree and the talk was big about blah blah we don’t have to do this anymore we can just hire UM. 

Throughout the rest of the season UM was communicating with us about the job. Fast forward to the K State game, and that text thread starts celebrating about UM. Then a whole bunch of peripheral UT people got all excited about UM. That’s when I told this thread that I was “all in”.

But after Dec. 5th, my text thread went completely silent. I documented all of that in real time in this thread. I got all sorts of little hints from good places that UM was still in play, so that’s what I stuck to. UM himself told us he was happy with our offer. I really thought everything was just smoke and that we would announce UM when his guys were ready to join him. I posted last night that Herman getting fired today wouldn’t make sense to me. Then today there was weird activity with good donors saying there’s no way Steve Sarkisian was anything more than a distraction. But the news kept getting more serious. 

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

But after Dec. 5th, my text thread went completely silent. I documented all of that in real time in this thread. I got all sorts of little hints from good places that UM was still in play, so that’s what I stuck to. UM himself told us he was happy with our offer. I really thought everything was just smoke and that we would announce UM when his guys were ready to join him. I posted last night that Herman getting fired today wouldn’t make sense to me. Then today there was weird activity with good donors saying there’s no way Steve Sarkisian was anything more than a distraction. But the news kept getting more serious. 

Did they know in early December that Herman was definitely getting fired? I picked that up on the Texas side so I never sweated Herman staying like many did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, utexas8 said:

CTJ, any idea why UM never materialized?

NFL outreach. People he trusts shitting on Texas. That is all I’ve heard and I can’t swear any of it is true. 

3 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

@closetojumping Without going back to reread old posts, as I recall is it correct to say you were hearing the Sark rumors for a couple weeks but were skeptical of them that we would have gone so far down the plan B list?  I guess my big question at this point is are the BMDs happy with this?  Did they want TH gone so bad that they are content to have shelled out probably $20 million in buyout money to get a guy that has no better track record than TH?  Did they know when they were writing the checks yesterday that this is what they were getting, or did CDC pull a bait and switch on them and leave them with their dicks in their hands?

I am not close enough to any of that to be very helpful. Everyone wanted Herman gone, that much is for sure. The other thing that is clear is that outreach was made to multiple players and they whiffed even though we were willing to give many concessions and pay major $$. Swinney had no reason to say yes. Kelly apparently decided same. Meyer apparently has better shit to do. At some point, they painted the process into a corner and picked the best willing option. 

I’ve been dismissive of Sarkisian as a candidate the whole way and so have my friends. This outcome sucks compared to my expectations. If the staff is bad ass, I can rationalize my way, nonetheless, into cheering for success. My biggest issue with the last two hires is that they were flat out DOA once the staffs were assembled. People didn’t want to believe it, but I did and I was correct. This time around, I expect many people here to see it for what it is. So this drunk motherfucker better have his personnel shit together from the jump. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NFL outreach. People he trusts shitting on Texas. That is all I’ve heard and I can’t sweat any of it is true. 

I am not close enough to any of that to be very helpful. Everyone wanted Herman gone, that much is for sure. The other thing that is clear is that outreach was made to multiple players and they whiffed even though they were willing to give many concessions and pay major $$. Swinney had no reason to say yes. Kelly apparently decided same. Meyer apparently has better shit to do. At some point, they painted the process into a corner and picked the best willing option. 

I’ve been dismissive of Sarkisian as a candidate the whole way and so have my friends. This outcome sucks compared to my expectations. If the staff is bad ass, I can rationalize my way, nonetheless, into cheering for success. My biggest issue with the last two hires is that they were flat out DOA once the staffs were assembled. People didn’t want to believe it, but I did and I was correct. This time around, I expect many people here to see it for what it is. So this drunk motherfucker better have his personnel shit together from the jump. 

If it’s any consolation I have a very good friend who knows Sark very well and really likes him and thinks he will do well at Texas. I respect this guy’s opinion. He’s very sharp. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2